Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:25 pm

We stayed there short after it was aquired by Constance, you can find a few photos here https://www.thewandertraveller.com/h...-aiyana-pemba/

Unfortunately something must have happened as you'll find no trace of this hotel on the Constance Website any more…
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:51 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by AnttiV
Just a quick update to say SIngita Boulders is most likely the most incredible place one can stay at. St. Regis NYC, Conrad Maldives or FS’s/MO’s in Asia can’t compare. It was just incredible. Singita Lebombo was not bad either but Boulders was out of this world good and simply something we have to return to at some point. If someone can point me to a better hotel experience on this earth I’d be glad to hear. Until then Boulders will be my happy place.

Maybe that's why Singita Boulders doesn't have the 4th night free offer while other Singita camps do
Glad you had a great time! We're looking to go in May and pumped about it.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AnttiV
Just a quick update to say SIngita Boulders is most likely the most incredible place one can stay at. St. Regis NYC, Conrad Maldives or FS’s/MO’s in Asia can’t compare. It was just incredible. Singita Lebombo was not bad either but Boulders was out of this world good and simply something we have to return to at some point. If someone can point me to a better hotel experience on this earth I’d be glad to hear. Until then Boulders will be my happy place.
So happy to hear this, we’re going this week for our anniversary!!
BESVISOR and AnttiV like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Has anyone been to or heard from people who have been to Bisate and/or Kwitonda in Rwanda?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by jiaotze
Has anyone been to or heard from people who have been to Bisate?
Comprehensive review of Bisate by a FTer here: https://theluxurytravelexpert.com/20...-bisate-lodge/
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:59 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Had an update with Belmond last night in Sydney. Might be worth noting that their properties are all air conditioned which is super rare for Botswana (they say they're the only operator with all their properties with this). Belmond Savute Elephant Lodge looks incredible after the refurb and must be close to the best option in Chobe.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by MicSanToro
Comprehensive review of Bisate by a FTer here: https://theluxurytravelexpert.com/20...-bisate-lodge/
Thanks very much. I've seen a couple of people mention issues with the stairs, but if one is in reasonably good shape, I shouldn't think it should be a problem.

Of course Singita service is legendary, but just from the pictures, Bisate may design-wise looks a bit more interesting.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
We will be staying at Matetsi in Zimbabwe for 4 nights at the end of the month.
Very excited to see if it can match the very high bar set by Silvan in Sabi Sands a few months ago.

Ownership has recently changed from &Beyond however I understand that the majority of the staff have been retained since they are mostly locals...
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:59 pm

Headed to Rwanda this December and had a quick question about payment for some of these luxury lodges. Does anyone recall how they made payment to Sabyinyo Lodge (Governors Camp) in Rwanda? Just want to confirm the payment method is legit and everything checks out before making payment.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:58 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Just returned from Matetsi in Zimbabwe and it was absolutely superb.
In the interests of full disclosure I was hosted by the property for 2 of our 4 nights
(the first 2 nights were self funded and spent with a large group of friends celebrating a birthday, in the lodge's private 4 bedroom River House)

The standard river suites are extremely luxurious with private plunge pools overlooking the Zambezi and floor to ceiling glass doors that afford you a full view of not only the hippos in the river but also the warthogs, impala and even elephants that walk through your personal stretch of the banks.

The wine selection was very good as was the whiskey, although the gins could use some work (for comparison Silvan in Sabi Sands had north of 20 different artisanal gins, served with matching garnishes etc). The food was universally superb and I particularly enjoyed the bush breakfast, where white linen topped tables and live cooking stations were set up on a picturesque stretch of the river, for us to visit immediately after a morning game drive.

The service was genuinely incredible, better than Aman levels. I can't remember a single mistake or misunderstanding that took place in the space of four days. We had a personal butler assigned to us from the outset and he very quickly got to know our preferences, he was extremely proactive and a truly kind soul. The cleaner would leave personalised handwritten notes for us every day and the nightwatchman would even deliver our capuccinos and biscotti before returning to take us to our vehicle for the morning game drive.

Being on a 55,000 hectare concession with only 18 rooms did mean that it was tougher to spot big cats than in Sabi sands, where all of the lodges are in constant radio communication with one another and have negotiated rights to traverse. However we still saw lions, a leopard, jackals, huge herds of buffalo and elephants, baby hyenas, trees packed with vultures and countless zebras and impalas.

I would highly recommend this lodge to anybody looking for that feeling of true remoteness. There was something genuinely special about having sundowners and knowing that there were no other vehicles or buildings for as far as the eye could see.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, KLM Silver
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
botswana >

andbeyond
- 250km2 - 9 xaranna + 9 xudum $650 / $910 (private pools, instead of main pool)
x 8 sandibe $570 / $775 no AC, no indoor shower
x 9 nxabega $570 / $775 no AC, power "most of the day"

orient express (room power only for razors?)
- 12 - savute elephant camp (wireless internet)
- 12 incl 1 suite with private pool - eagle island camp
- 16 incl 1 suite with private pool - khwai river lodge

those presented details like AC very easily, the rest not so much >

wilderness safaris wilderness collection ("exceptional")
abu - new site has rates (from $3430 dbl / $2310 sgl) 1,619km2 shared with seba camp and macatoo camp

wilderness safaris premier ("highest level")
jao camp
kings pool camp
little mombo camp
mombo camp
vumbura plains - 526km2 shared with little vumbura
zarafa camp

wilderness safaris & http://www.greatplainsconservation.com/
1,295km2 - 4 zarafa + 8 selinda camp + 4 selinda explorers camp + 4 selinda canoe trail
311km2 - 6 duba plains camp

sanctuary (abercombie & kent)
1,052km2 - 5 baines' camp $675 / $755 + 8 stanley's camp $565 / $630
12 chief's camp $995 / $1160
15 chobe chilwero $620 / $695

since "malaria free" is limited >
http://www.africatravelresource.com/...hafrica/north/
madikwe >
- morukuru is 3 private villas, jan 10-31 rates = $1613 2BR (2 guests) / $2114 3BR (4 guests) / $3172 5BR (6 guests)
- mateya is virtuoso/harper, 5 air-conditioned suites, 4 guest per vehicle limit

andbeyond
- 250km2 - 9 xaranna + 9 xudum $650 / $910 (private pools, instead of main pool)
what does this mean? Why do you have 2 prices listed and what is x 8 or x 9??

Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:33 am

Four seasons Serengeti
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
botswana >

andbeyond

orient express (room power only for razors?)
- 12 - savute elephant camp (wireless internet)
- 12 incl 1 suite with private pool - eagle island camp
- 16 incl 1 suite with private pool - khwai river lodge

those presented details like AC very easily, the rest not so much >

wilderness safaris wilderness collection ("exceptional")
abu - new site has rates (from $3430 dbl / $2310 sgl) 1,619km2 shared with seba camp and macatoo camp

wilderness safaris premier ("highest level")
jao camp
kings pool camp
little mombo camp
mombo camp
vumbura plains - 526km2 shared with little vumbura
zarafa camp

wilderness safaris & http://www.greatplainsconservation.com/
1,295km2 - 4 zarafa + 8 selinda camp + 4 selinda explorers camp + 4 selinda canoe trail
311km2 - 6 duba plains camp

sanctuary (abercombie & kent)
1,052km2 - 5 baines' camp $675 / $755 + 8 stanley's camp $565 / $630
12 chief's camp $995 / $1160
15 chobe chilwero $620 / $695

since "malaria free" is limited >
http://www.africatravelresource.com/...hafrica/north/
madikwe >
- morukuru is 3 private villas, jan 10-31 rates = $1613 2BR (2 guests) / $2114 3BR (4 guests) / $3172 5BR (6 guests)
- mateya is virtuoso/harper, 5 air-conditioned suites, 4 guest per vehicle limit

andbeyond
what does this mean? Why do you have 2 prices listed and what is x 8 or x 9??

Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by tessy143
what does this mean? Thanks
Kagehitokiri hasn't posted here for quite some time. He had his own way of contributing here and invented his own language. The Four Seasons Serengeti might be OK as a hotel but most people here would not consider it as an attractive proposition for a safari as it's far too big and corporate.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:15 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by tessy143
Four seasons Serengeti
I really hesitate to sell this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.