Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
Definitely do Chitabe! I'd combine it with Zarafa and one other camp. Mombo is awesome, but not being able to go off-road makes it tough to get good photos - I might have to bust out my 500mm F4 for this purpose, which is a heavy beast. Our best Botswana wildlife experience was at Chitabe, closely followed by Zarafa and Kwara. Our next trip after the Sept. 2018 Botswana safari is likely to be in Dzanga Sanga (in Central African Republic), which is super rustic, so I wanted to treat Mrs. KI-NRT to something on the luxurious side before roughing it the next go-round. Otherwise, I'd do Chitabe, Kwando's new Splash Camp and Zarafa (in that order.)
Thank you! That's most helpful. Glad to hear some validation of Chitabe, because (placed next to Mombo and Zarafa/Duba Plains on this itinerary), I often hear "why Chitabe?"...but I am actually looking forward to it a lot...luxury is nice, but game is still more important for us...and since we are not into photography (don't even carry a camera with me besides my iPhone, just really high quality binoculars), I think Mombo's "no off-roading" is ok for us (although I hear from people that there is still some off-roading possible if the game warrants it)
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:41 am

We did South Africa this year (Boulders and Lebombo) and are in the process of setting up Vic Falls and Botswana. My agent is steering us to Mpala Jena over Elephant Camp there and said forgo Parmashana and just go to Botswana after. She said to do Zafara then Duba Plains then Mombo. We are planning to go in July for the floods. Would you guys swap out Duba for Chitabe?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:58 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by busy
We did South Africa this year (Boulders and Lebombo) and are in the process of setting up Vic Falls and Botswana. My agent is steering us to Mpala Jena over Elephant Camp there and said forgo Parmashana and just go to Botswana after. She said to do Zafara then Duba Plains then Mombo. We are planning to go in July for the floods. Would you guys swap out Duba for Chitabe?
Sorry I don’t know the specifics of each of the lodges, but I wanted to add that the Okavango Delta is one of the truly magical places in the world...waking up to the sounds of the birds and frogs, etc. So if you’re going during the “flood”, pick the lodge that has the best mokoro/water experiences. You won’t regret it. We stayed at Jao back in the day.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:18 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
If the primary purpose of visiting Victoria Falls is to see the Falls itself (as it should be, given you'll be going on a "proper" safari afterwards), I'd recommend that you stay somewhere close to the Falls. I love Great Plains, but I can't see how Mpala Jena competes as either a luxury safari lodge or a Victoria Falls property (especially for the price they charge!) - it's not a world-class game viewing area, nor is it within walking distance of the Falls (far from it.) No, we have not stayed there, since it just opened

Elephant Camp is a novelty; if you want to interact with Elephants, go for it. At least it's about 1/3 of the price of Mpala Jena.

You really only need one full day at the Falls (or 1.5 days.) Walk to the Falls, take the helicopter flight and perhaps go on a boat cruise (not mandatory since you'll have some water activity opportunities in Bots)... then you're done.

If you're hankering for the best game viewing experience, then yes, skip Pamushana and head directly to Botswana. Chobe will be jam-packed in July, so your agent is correct in suggesting you head to Okavango and Linyanti.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:11 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

You forgot to mention the most important activity around the falls!

We stayed at tongabezi, and honestly I think I would have opted for a one night stat at the falls. In and out.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I vote for Zarafa. Been to all the others in Bots and SA and for us it's twice been the best. We are returning July 2019 and doing the revamped Duba Plains. We love Mombo but no night drives and a bit impersonal after Zarafa. But Mombo does have fantastic game viewing although we haven't been back since renovations. It should be greater than ever now as was getting a bit run down. We did go to Chiefs while Mombo was being renoavated and right after Chiefs reopened post renovations. Rooms beautiful ( high end luxury not very African) but game more scarce than normal due to construction. Hope that not the same with renovated Mombo. Anyway, lots of great choices!
in4tar likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:41 pm

Would you guys swap out Duba for Chitabe?
That was the choice I was facing, and ultimately went with Chitabe for 2019 (4 nights each Chitabe + Zarafa + Mombo)...a family member just returned from the new Duba Plains and says it's absolutely gorgeous, but lions/buffalo interactions are not the same as it was in the past and what made the area famous...in fact, they say there is not much variety in game (although for sure lots of lions)...Chitabe, on the other hand (and I have been to the concession Chitabe is in although not to the camp itself) has consistently amazing game viewing...so if the accommodations take precedence for you - go with Duba Plains, but if game viewing is more important, my vote would be for Chitabe...in my case I figured that Zarafa and Mombo would provide a good balance fore more modest accommodations at Chitabe, and since the main reason for going to Botswana for me is the game viewing, I could not forego Chitabe...
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:39 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
It feels to me like we might have transitioned from most luxurious hotels to locations and camps with the best game viewing that may not be particularly luxurious.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:42 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by bhrubin
It feels to me like we might have transitioned from most luxurious hotels to locations and camps with the best game viewing that may not be particularly luxurious.
It's an important discussion. The purpose of a safari lodge is to see animals. There's a delicate balance between choosing the most luxurious without consideration of the animal viewing and choosing it with the viewing. If a lodge is very comfortable and has the best viewing compared to a luxurious lodge with so-so viewing, the first will give me the greatest satisfaction on departure. I find it very helpful when people give context and weight to these variables.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It's an important discussion. The purpose of a safari lodge is to see animals. There's a delicate balance between choosing the most luxurious without consideration of the animal viewing and choosing it with the viewing. If a lodge is very comfortable and has the best viewing compared to a luxurious lodge with so-so viewing, the first will give me the greatest satisfaction on departure. I find it very helpful when people give context and weight to these variables.
I second this...I bet there are not many people who would go to Africa for the sole purpose of experiencing luxurious lodges...sure, most of us would prefer luxury when possible but the main purpose of safari should not be completely discounted...after all, epic game viewing is also part of "luxury" for some...I realize this thread is about luxurious accommodations in Africa, but I find it helpful when context is provided...otherwise we are just discussing the rooms and the wine lists...safari for most is more than just this...
Pausanias likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:14 am

Has anyone stayed at Bisate lodge for gorilla trekking in Rwanda? And if so - how does it compare to Sabyinyo?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by in4tar
Has anyone stayed at Bisate lodge for gorilla trekking in Rwanda? And if so - how does it compare to Sabyinyo?
I cannot compare it to Sabyinyo, but we spent 3 nights in Bisate a few days ago and loved it. Some pictures of the property and our treks here

offerendum likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I cannot compare it to Sabyinyo, but we spent 3 nights in Bisate a few days ago and loved it. Some pictures of the property and our treks here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57672754278647
thank you!! we booked for Feb 2020 and can't wait!
MacMyDay likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:23 am

Currently planning for Kenya trip next August for the river crossing.

For 3 nights in masai Mara, I’m choosing from:
1: and beyond bateluer ( they just recently opened. The pictures of the camp looks fantastic, though feels like the camp lacks classic east Africa style)
2. Richard river camp
3. Mara expedition

then 3 nights in laikipia. Choosing from:
1. Ol malo
2. Sirikoi

anyone have any thoughts on those lodges?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

did you also look at great plains conservation ? KI-NRT has some posts on mara

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
bribe whoever is necessary to be able to go on a private tour.
https://thegoodthebadandtheluxurious...-lodge-rwanda/
driver managed to work magic to make it private (something that would normally cost $15,000) [vs $3,000]
interesting no discussion of this here from africa regulars who book private vehicles

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 29, 2018 at 9:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.