Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 7:42 pm

Singita doesn't really need to discount and the posted specials are about the best you will do. Sometimes a bit better if your agent goes through a British operator.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:45 pm

Heading to Botswana in couple weeks, but was thinking about the Serengeti next year for the migration. Is it true that the ownership take the Grumetti lodges for the peak migration? Also hearing that Serian is better, which was a bit surprising.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by busy
Heading to Botswana in couple weeks, but was thinking about the Serengeti next year for the migration. Is it true that the ownership take the Grumetti lodges for the peak migration? Also hearing that Serian is better, which was a bit surprising.
If I remember right, Grumeti ownership (Paul Tudor Jones) takes the first two weeks in July. Still lots of time to see the migration outside of that.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Newman55

If I remember right, Grumeti ownership (Paul Tudor Jones) takes the first two weeks in July. Still lots of time to see the migration outside of that.
My travel team seemed to push Serian over Singita though as they are further North. Singita looks nicer and I have experience with them, but if its about overall experience maybe Serian?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:57 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by busy
My travel team seemed to push Serian over Singita though as they are further North. Singita looks nicer and I have experience with them, but if its about overall experience maybe Serian?
You can't compare Grumeti to the Northern Serengeti. If you're planning to go between May and early July, Grumeti is tough to beat - the herds typically (but not always!) congregate in the area during this time.

Northern Serengeti is prime migration territory between July and October, and even when the Wildebeest aren't there en masse, it still has an abundance of resident game - clearly superior to the Grumeti area.

Singita is far more luxurious with great food and polished service. Serian is more rustic, with service that is still quite good but not at the level of Singita. Guiding at both are fantastic. Another bonus - Alex Walker (owner of Serian) calls Serian Serengeti North home for much of the year, so you might be lucky enough to mingle with him - he's a wonderful guy with some amazing stories. Also, Serian is one of only a handful of camp operators that offers, as default, private vehicles/guides for each group of guests. This, in my opinion, is the single biggest luxury one can have when out in the bush. Of course, you can request a private safari while staying at Singita, but costs do go up considerably by doing that.

If you're intent on Singita, and want to explore the North (instead of Grumeti), then the Singita Mara River Tented Camp is superb. Great bush vibe, same Singita food/wine/service as their Grumeti properties.
obscure2k and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
You can't compare Grumeti to the Northern Serengeti. If you're planning to go between May and early July, Grumeti is tough to beat - the herds typically (but not always!) congregate in the area during this time.

Northern Serengeti is prime migration territory between July and October, and even when the Wildebeest aren't there en masse, it still has an abundance of resident game - clearly superior to the Grumeti area.

Singita is far more luxurious with great food and polished service. Serian is more rustic, with service that is still quite good but not at the level of Singita. Guiding at both are fantastic. Another bonus - Alex Walker (owner of Serian) calls Serian Serengeti North home for much of the year, so you might be lucky enough to mingle with him - he's a wonderful guy with some amazing stories. Also, Serian is one of only a handful of camp operators that offers, as default, private vehicles/guides for each group of guests. This, in my opinion, is the single biggest luxury one can have when out in the bush. Of course, you can request a private safari while staying at Singita, but costs do go up considerably by doing that.

If you're intent on Singita, and want to explore the North (instead of Grumeti), then the Singita Mara River Tented Camp is superb. Great bush vibe, same Singita food/wine/service as their Grumeti properties.
Initially I was set on Singiita for the migration in June and doing some gorilla trekking in Rwanda. I gave them the directive of best migration and game experience and they pushed for Serian over Singita in July. So now I am truly torn.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:41 am

Curious as to what you ended up choosing busy?

I am also looking into gorilla trekking in Rwanda followed by migration and likely a little time on the beach for next summer and am hoping to draw on the forums experience for some planning. For background I have been on safari before including Ngorongoro Crater Lodge/Grumeti River Camp and Jao/Little Mombo -> Franschhoek -> Seychelles. Some things that I feel are key would include private conservation, ability to go offroad, night drives a plus and I find vehicle density extremely unappealing. My thoughts for the next trip include WS Bisate or Singita's Kwitonga for gorilla trekking, followed by Mara Kyika, Mara Plains or Singita Mara River then Mneba or some other beach destination.

Are there any logistical issues to be aware of for the Mara camps that make one less appealing?
Would it be more efficient to do Safari first then trekking? I'd like to limit stopovers in NBO/KGL as time is the biggest constraint for the trip.
Finally, I have some flexibility on timing - the trip could either occur in early to mid July or end of August. I realize it changes every year, but would the week after July 4th be on the early side for the Mara camps?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:44 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by r0llerman
Curious as to what you ended up choosing busy?
My thoughts for the next trip include WS Bisate or Singita's Kwitonga for gorilla trekking, followed by Mara Kyika, Mara Plains or Singita Mara River then Mneba or some other beach destination.

Are there any logistical issues to be aware of for the Mara camps that make one less appealing?
Would it be more efficient to do Safari first then trekking? I'd like to limit stopovers in NBO/KGL as time is the biggest constraint for the trip.
Finally, I have some flexibility on timing - the trip could either occur in early to mid July or end of August. I realize it changes every year, but would the week after July 4th be on the early side for the Mara camps?
For your Kenya/Tanzania portion, it depends on what you're after. If the Wildebeest & Zebra river crossings are your #1 priority, then splitting your stay between the Mara and Northern Serengeti would give you the best chance (August historically better than July, although in 2016 the herds arrived in June!) A few things to note, however:

1) If you stay at a camp in the main Masai Mara reserve, there is no off-roading and no night drives. Ditto for Northern Serengeti - both are national parks, and their rules strictly prohibit it.

2) Both are super crowded during peak season, especially in the areas where river crossings are happening (you can't avoid it.)

One suggestion - go in August, hope the herds are in the Mara by then, and stay in Mara Plains and Mara Nyika. Mara Plains has access to the main reserve as well as the Mara Triangle AND Naboisho - it's the only camp that is allowed such expansive access. Therefore, if the crossings are taking place in the Masai Mara, it's about an hour drive down to the main rivers... in other words, you can "raid" the core areas if action is taking place there. If it's not, or when you're done with witnessing the spectacle, you can retreat back to the private conservancy, which is blissfully devoid of mass tourism. And, in our experience, general game viewing in Olare Motorogi, Mara North and Naboisho is as good, if not superior, to the main reserve.

Also, for logistical purposes (and because you've already done Ngorongoro and Grumeti before), I'd stick with Kenya. Much less hassle, and the private conservancies are awesome.

One other note - even in the Mara Conservancies, you will see other vehicles, especially at key sightings - it's unavoidable. This isn't going to be Chief's Island or Selinda or even the Northern sector of South Luangwa. Vehicle density is about the same; it's just that the landscape (open grasslands, mainly) makes other vehicles much more visible than areas that are more forested by comparison. It's still an amazingly beautiful place and worth a visit (and even return visits.)

I am not a fan of any of the beach destinations off Kenya and Tanzania, but if you're intent on finishing off your vacation with some R&D, my suggestion: Kenya or Tanzania, followed by the Mountain Gorillas, and then - finally - beach.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:52 pm

Thanks for the recommendations NI-KRT. After looking into the beach options a little more, we agree with you and have decided to do another beach vacation earlier in the year. Is there a reason Mara Plains can go to Naboisho, but Nyika won't be able to use Olare? Maybe splitting time between them makes the most sense.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:46 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by r0llerman
Is there a reason Mara Plains can go to Naboisho, but Nyika won't be able to use Olare? Maybe splitting time between them makes the most sense.
Not sure why (I'd be hesitant to ping Dereck and Beverly Joubert for an explanation given how busy they always are), but Naboisho is huge - it's the second largest Conservancy (after the massive Mara North), so it would behoove you to split your stay between Mara Plains Camp and Mara Nyika if you have the chance to do so.

Also - the fact that Mara Plains Camp guests can traverse into the Naboisho Conservancy is not well known and not publicly advertised by Great Plains. It's possible if you ask for it, but even Olare Motorogi is vast enough that you are unlikely to explore every nook and cranny of the area during a 3-night stay.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:01 am

Does anyone have recommendations for excellent operators for Tanzania/Rwanda? We used our fantastic SA resource when we did the trip last year but it turns out
she has no particular connections in East Africa and I ended up doing too much leg work and logistics. I am helping a friend put together a special trip, but
I'd like to push the responsibility on to someone with deep knowledge.

This would be for a luxury trip similar ours (Singita/Ngoro/Rwanda) - the logistics between lodges was tricky and they want to consider other properties/areas as well, so it would good to have someone with deep knowledge. TIA.

Last edited by Mickidon; Aug 6, 2019 at 6:12 am Reason: To add content
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: CX DM
We just got back from the migration in Tanzania; worked directly with Singita on planning and it was flawless (while we didn't end up doing so, they were happy and able to include other non-Singita properties if we wanted; they even suggested some where appropriate).
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
I am not a fan of any of the beach destinations off Kenya and Tanzania . . .
Any feedback on Aiyana resort, on Pemba Island just north of Zanzibar, owned by Constance Hotels who run Prince Maurice on Mauritius. It gets great reviews on TA . . .
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:26 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Any feedback on Aiyana resort, on Pemba Island just north of Zanzibar, owned by Constance Hotels who run Prince Maurice on Mauritius. It gets great reviews on TA . . .
I know the diving off Pemba is supposed to be fantastic...
Old Oct 24, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just a quick update to say SIngita Boulders is most likely the most incredible place one can stay at. St. Regis NYC, Conrad Maldives or FS’s/MO’s in Asia can’t compare. It was just incredible. Singita Lebombo was not bad either but Boulders was out of this world good and simply something we have to return to at some point. If someone can point me to a better hotel experience on this earth I’d be glad to hear. Until then Boulders will be my happy place.
obscure2k, SojournsOf and flyerwma like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.