Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Explora Trailblazer, Belmond Bellini
Originally Posted by threepointkid
When we were there in August 2022, we shared a vehicle with one couple for all 3 of our nights (6 game drives total). They were also a honeymoon couple and on their first safari, so this didn’t detract from our experience. We enjoyed the social aspect. We are returning in 2024 and will be traveling in a party of 4, so hopefully they’ll be able to give us our own vehicle on that trip! I’m not sure we are seasoned enough safari goers to require a private vehicle just yet! I hope you have an amazing time if you choose to visit Tree Camp. If you need any other suggestions or information, please message me!
Thank you so much for the insight. I most likely will go with my friend and this will be our first safari trip so I guess I am a bit nervous about the trip. And the only previous drive experience I've had was in Patagonia a couple of years ago where we went to Awasi where every room was equipped with a private jeep and guide and it was a very pleasant experience so I was wondering if the African safari will have the similar setup. But I guess it's nice to get to hang out with other hotel guests.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 12:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Steven013
Thank you so much for the insight. I most likely will go with my friend and this will be our first safari trip so I guess I am a bit nervous about the trip. And the only previous drive experience I've had was in Patagonia a couple of years ago where we went to Awasi where every room was equipped with a private jeep and guide and it was a very pleasant experience so I was wondering if the African safari will have the similar setup. But I guess it's nice to get to hang out with other hotel guests.
Totally makes sense! I think that having a private vehicle could be beneficial, especially if you want to move at a different pace, see specific wildlife, etc., but as a safari rookie, I believe that there’s no problem staring a vehicle with another pair. I think it actually enhanced our experience and we’ve since kept in touch with the guests we met upon returning!
Old Jan 31, 2023, 5:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I figure this is the best place to place this response. Since traveling to Africa on my honeymoon in August, I’ve been obsessed with the continent and experiencing more that it has to offer. I’ve now inspired a handful of friends to want to visit Africa with me and experience a safari as a group. I’ve recently learned about a handful of exclusive use properties and I wanted to see if anyone could weigh in on the merits of any of these properties over others. I am aware that the size of these various properties varies quite a bit, but I think as the one taking the lead on this, if I propose a handful of properties to my group of friends with the price tag along with each of them, that I can get them convinced to just join along. Below are the properties that I’ve come across and would seem amazing to take exclusive use of. Thanks in advance for any guidance.Kubili House (South Africa)

Cheetah Plains (South Africa)

Singita Castleton (South Africa)

Tarkuni Homestead (South Africa)

Singita Serengeti House (Tanzania)

Arijiju (Kenya)

Ol Jogi (Kenya)

Lengishu (Kenya)

Laragai (Kenya)
Old Jan 31, 2023, 5:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

MacMyDay has stayed at several of those properties. It's worth searching his blog to see what he has to say. For example, here is his stay report on Cheetah Plains and Arjiju
offerendum and gudugan like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I figure this is the best place to place this response. Since traveling to Africa on my honeymoon in August, I’ve been obsessed with the continent and experiencing more that it has to offer. I’ve now inspired a handful of friends to want to visit Africa with me and experience a safari as a group. I’ve recently learned about a handful of exclusive use properties and I wanted to see if anyone could weigh in on the merits of any of these properties over others. I am aware that the size of these various properties varies quite a bit, but I think as the one taking the lead on this, if I propose a handful of properties to my group of friends with the price tag along with each of them, that I can get them convinced to just join along. Below are the properties that I’ve come across and would seem amazing to take exclusive use of. Thanks in advance for any guidance.Kubili House (South Africa)

Singita Castleton (South Africa)

Tarkuni Homestead (South Africa)

Arijiju (Kenya)

Ol Jogi (Kenya)

Lengishu (Kenya)

Laragai (Kenya)
There's also lodges that just have fewer rooms/tents that you could feasibly rent all of them. Thabamati has 4 tents.

I haven't been, but I've looked at it before - maybe someone here HAS been and can share impressions, but maybe Thanda Villa Izulu?

https://www.thandasafari.co.za/accommodation/villa-izulu/

​​​​​
Old Feb 1, 2023, 8:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
MacMyDay has stayed at several of those properties. It's worth searching his blog to see what he has to say. For example, here is his stay report on Cheetah Plains and Arjiju
Thank you! These are wonderful detailed reviews that are quite helpful. Seems like a large group would be happy at any of these properties. I appreciate you sharing these!
Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:08 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Thank you! These are wonderful detailed reviews that are quite helpful. Seems like a large group would be happy at any of these properties. I appreciate you sharing these!
Not sure how many will be in your group, but Morukuru (Madikwe, South Africa) has fully staffed houses of various sizes. We stayed in the smallest house. The others are bigger. Here is our trip report.
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...h-our-son-2834
Old Feb 2, 2023, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Kubili House (South Africa)

Arijiju (Kenya)

Ol Jogi (Kenya)

Lengishu (Kenya)
I have stayed in the above. To save you the bother of reading my monotonous blog, go to Serengeti House and combine with Arijiju or Ol Jogi. Arijiju is the most luxurious of all the options, but the experiences at Ol Jogi are unbeatable. Ol Jogi's design was created in an era where lots of people were on lots of drugs, so you'll have to try and get over the decor and trust me.

I only returned last week from Serengeti House, Ol Jogi and Lengishu so haven't had time to write-up reviews on them - in the mean time here's some pretty pictures I took on Flickr

Old Apr 27, 2023, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
What is the current view for best lodges in Botswana?

As something “different” we are thinking of doing Botswana next March (so slightly off the downpours but with lush greenery and baby animals) - anyone had done Botswana then? Which are the camps not to be missed then?

If it helps with responses possibly a 2 week trip but don’t want to spend more than 7-8 days on Safari.

(admins please feel free to move if not relevant to the thread)
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:18 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Zephyrous

As something “different” we are thinking of doing Botswana next March (so slightly off the downpours but with lush greenery and baby animals) - anyone had done Botswana then? Which are the camps not to be missed then?

If it helps with responses possibly a 2 week trip but don’t want to spend more than 7-8 days on Safari.

Normally a Singita fan. I'm heading to Singita Kwitonda, and their Tanzania camps in 2 weeks.
But for Botswana, give Xigera a look.

I think Singita actually just bought a lodge in Botswana but hasn't released the news to the public, yet
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Zephyrous

Mombo
Zarafa
Duba Plains
Vumbura Plains
Dumatau
Xigera
Sitatunga Private Island

KI-NRT has an excellent Botswana report somewhere around here that lays out all of his lodge selections and more importantly the why behind each selection. I found that report to be excellent in gaining an understanding of where the top Botswana camps are located and the type of experience you can expect at each of them.

Last edited by threepointkid; Apr 27, 2023 at 9:42 am
Old Jul 29, 2023, 1:09 pm

Does anyone have any opinions on Natural Selection properties in Botswana? Specifically Sable Alley, Tuludi, or the newer Duke's Camp? Also looking at Sandibe, or potentially doing Sabi Sands instead.

Will be our third January trip to southern Africa, have previously done Timbavati and we were at Nxabega last year. I know January probably isn't ideal for game viewing but it's the best time to take off work and I do enjoy the greenery. We loved Nxabega but with how expansive the concession was without flooding, I did feel like it was a little harder for our trackers to locate game (specifically big cats) on any given drive.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 2, 2023, 2:38 pm

We stayed at Singita Boulders and it was excellent, food fabulous, room amazing and game drive saw all big five up close with only two other people in our Jeep
luxefarer likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Currently looking into Sweni or Lebombo vs Boulders vs Ebony. Any feedback on Boulders vs Ebony?
United747 and luxefarer like this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 12:08 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by p100a
Currently looking into Sweni or Lebombo vs Boulders vs Ebony. Any feedback on Boulders vs Ebony?

I personally prefer Boulders over Ebony in terms of design. I just feel Boulders' quality is a bit higher and I like the room's pools better than ones at Ebony.
Slightly subjective. I do enjoy the public space at Ebony so I always suggest to people/clients to stay at Boulders and do a meal or two at Ebony.

Lebombo is great but I personally prefer the colors (rooms are basically the same) at Sweni more. Sweni just feels a bit more cozy and rich in tones/textures in the hard products.
I also like that Sewni has a river by the pool and lounging areas, restaurant. I loved having breakfast there (while I stayed at Lebombo) and saw hippos in the water.
If I returned, I'd do Sweni over Lebombo.

But you can't go wrong with any. Love Singita! Sabora and the Hillside Suite at Sasakwa are still my favorites of the group

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.