Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Singita Boulders is the tops imo. Singita Lebombo and Sweni are ultra modern. The game viewing is more interesting I think but the accommodations, though beautiful, are not as comfortable as Boulders.

I also love Royal Malewane,probably the most genuine hospitality in the bush. Africa House is spectacular.

In Botswana go for Mombo if you can.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wripro
Africa House is spectacular
you saw/stayed? have you visited any other similar (large villa/OTT) accommodations? (comparison)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 3, 2012 at 2:05 pm
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Thanks for the suggestions guys, will start parsing through these.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
- comments on wilderness safaris and sanctuary accommodations? (AC and indoor showers for example)
No AC or heater. Little Mombo has both indoor and outdoor showers. Very luxurious and comfortable.

- comparisons between wilderness safaris, &beyond, orient express, sanctuary?
I can't compare since I've only done WS Premier camps but I believe Wilderness Safaris is generally considered one of the top, if not the best, of the four you mentioned. Their concessions are usually considered the best in terms of game viewing.

- thoughts on private concessions? (xxx km2) or do the locations just not compare to mombo for example?
I think it really depends. The advantage of being in a private concession is you don't have time restrictions. Mombo and Little Mombo are in Moremi Game Reserve, so you can't start before sunrise and will have to be back by sundown. However Moremi is the only place you can find rhinos in Botswana, and we were lucky enough to find both white and black rhinos two days in a row.

- i see chiefs is near mombo, so a backup. what about mombo vs little mombo? theyre fairly close.
Mombo and Little Mombo are right next to each other. You wouldn't even know that they are separate camps. Little Mombo has only one car for three tents so last minute private cars are probably next to impossible if the camp is full.

I think Singita and other luxury lodges in South Africa definitely have more of a wow factor because most of them permanent structures. The WS tents are temporary structures that are designed to be taken down if needed, and a lot of them are on solar power. However, I found their tents even more impressive than those of FS Golden Triangle.

Wilderness Safaris do get criticized by some safari goers/experts for their high cost. However, I had a chance to talk to a WS corp person and they don't pretend to be in the safari business to be a tour company. They are a conservation company with a tourism model, so they do target more up-market visitors who are willing to pay the high cost. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the WS Premier Camps and even their Classic Camps are beautiful.

It's hard to describe the feeling of seeing an elephant right outside of your door or seeing a pride of 20+ lions walking by your car only a few feet away from you. I can't wait until next April!
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cynnamin
private concession is you don't have time restrictions. Mombo and Little Mombo are in Moremi Game Reserve, so you can't start before sunrise and will have to be back by sundown

Mombo and Little Mombo are right next to each other. You wouldn't even know that they are separate camps. Little Mombo has only one car for three tents so last minute private cars are probably next to impossible if the camp is full.
lots of very interesting (and new IIRC) details, thanks ^

(excluding singita >)
re comparisons - most discussion here is WS and &beyond(formerly cc africa) and it seems most people have done one or the other, as they travel to different areas/countries. (after a great first trip.) OE (only 3 camps) and sanctuary have less discussion. Larkin did post some interesting comparisons for east africa.

you mention complaints about costs of WS top properties. theyre sillier than usual because WS/group has the whole spectrum including cheap camping. at some point i will get their annual report read and post some interesting content. http://www.wilderness-group.com/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 4, 2012 at 10:56 am
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:47 am

Kagehitokiri,

I stayed one night at Africa House and two nights in regular accommodations at RM. The place is spectacular. If you La Residence in Franschhoek (also part of the Royal Portfolito) Africa House is like that in the bush. Private chefs, butlers etc.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:14 am

Whenever the topic moves on to OTT safaris, I'm led to recall the descriptor a travel journo once applied to Ngorongoro Crater Lodge: 'Versailles meets Masai'
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:25 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Do try to book at least one camp that stays out after dark. I remember being in a vehicle in the pitch black and having our guide signal for us to be quiet. Moments later, a lion roared....and it was way closer than we thought possible. The roar actually reverberated through our chests!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:36 am

I agree with Ericka. I remember being shown two leopards mating. They do it every 20 minutes for 2-3 days. No joke.

Last edited by speedbird001; Oct 5, 2012 at 4:19 pm
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL PM
I haven't stayed at any of the Singita camps but have stayed at some of the Wilderness properties in Botswana inc. Jao and one of the andbeyond camps. The most lux camp I've visited which I can highly recommend is Londolozi Tree Camp-and, most importantly, the game viewing is outstanding, inc. lots of mating leopards.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:19 pm

I have been to both Londo in SA and Chiefs and others in Botswana. Botswana in terms of luxury and game and overall experience is far superior to SA.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 5:02 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Thumbs up Singita of course

Singita Boulders is the tops imo. Singita Lebombo and Sweni are ultra modern. The game viewing is more interesting I think but the accommodations, though beautiful, are not as comfortable as Boulders.
I can second this. Staid at Ebony which is just next to Boulders and it was very comfortable but in need of some refreshment of the rooms.

Lebombo and Sveni are very modern at a point the person having planned the bathrooms and plumbing should have to use them for the rest of his/her life as punishment for such a poor design.

This said, going to SA, you will enjoy Singita and their game viewing (especially the hippos at Lebombo - they are "impolite" and VERY noisy at night ) and F&B is highest Relais & Châteaux level. They will not serve you cheap bottles to drink despite being all inclusive, only their bubbling stuff from SA is a disgrace - I needed emergency Champagne.

And their walking safaris are scaring but a once in a lifetime experience.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:08 am

I have to respectfully disagree that SA lags in luxury behind Botswana. It's just the reverse imo. The game viewing can be superior but there is no camp, including Mombo and Vumbura Plains that compares to Singita Boulders. I echo behuman's post about food and wine. Boulders has a magnificent cellar and you can ask for any wine including their most expensive and it will be served for no extra charge. Bottom line ism when traveling that far, it is wise to experience as many different camp and locations as possible, both in SA and Botswana.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Singita Boulders...any wine including their most expensive and it will be served for no extra charge
what is most expensive included?
any discounts on really expensive? (seabourn 2006 - $37.50/oz louis xiii)

Originally Posted by SafariCraig
Tswalu is the most environmentally diverse place you can go from the Kruger Park area and still be in South Africa

I actually think Zarafa is the most luxurious safari lodge in Botswana followed by Jao then a tie between Mombo and Vumbura Plains. Vumbura Plains has the best food because Wayne is their chef! I have been to every Wilderness Safaris premier camp, Chief’s Camp, all but one &Beyond camp and Eagle Island Camp.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
2011 & 2012 Travel & Leisure A-List agent for Botswana and Zimbabwe
1,000km2 - tswalu - 15BR incl 5BR tarkuni
largest private in ZA but kalahari desert

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 7, 2012 at 6:43 am
Old Oct 6, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
If you want the most luxurious nine day safari in Southern Africa then I recommend the following:

1. Stay at Singita Lebombo or Singita Sweni for three nights. They are on the same land so choose one. They are on a private concession inside the Kruger National Park. My good friend Nigel Pace just left the Cape Grace in February, 2012 after being named by American Express as the best luxury hotel general manager in the world. He is now GM of Lebombo & Sweni.

2. If you stay six nights at Singita in South Africa they will fly you for free from the Kruger lodges (Sweni and Lebombo) to the Sabi Sands lodges where you can spend three nights at Boulders or Ebony.

3. After three nights in the Sabi Sands, take the 11am FEDAIR flight to Jo’burg/JNB from where Tswalu will collect you and fly you free to their lodge in the far NW of South Africa. You fly free if you spend four nights. Tswalu is the most environmentally diverse place you can go from the Kruger Park area and still be in South Africa.

Royal Malewane is also uber-luxury and I don’t think the fences are an issue.

-The above Singita/Tswalu combination is the most common one I use for people wanting the most luxury safari in Southern Africa.

I actually think Zarafa is the most luxurious safari lodge in Botswana followed by Jao then a tie between Mombo and Vumbura Plains. Vumbura Plains has the best food because Wayne is their chef! I have been to every Wilderness Safaris premier camp, Chief’s Camp, all but one &Beyond camp and Eagle Island Camp.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
2011 & 2012 Travel & Leisure A-List agent for Botswana and Zimbabwe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.