Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:40 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

"12 - ebony / boulders
15 - lebombo
13 (+ 8 private) - sasakwa
"--I would argue that this is too large for a safari, even if it is smaller than the Fairmont or Four Seasons.

Alex Walker, Serian uses private vehicles. Sometimes in the Mara North you'd see these safari vehicles packed to the gills with different people and I don't recall any of them having a private spotter + guide driver. That's the epitome of luxury for me in that context.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
There are six people at most in a vehicle at Singita, hardly like a large cruise ship. And if you prefer you can book a private vehicle with guide and tracker.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by declinespecificinformation
"12 - ebony / boulders
15 - lebombo
"--I would argue that this is too large for a safari, even if it is smaller than the Fairmont or Four Seasons.

Alex Walker, Serian uses private vehicles. Sometimes in the Mara North you'd see these safari vehicles packed to the gills with different people and I don't recall any of them having a private spotter + guide driver. That's the epitome of luxury for me in that context.
safari including game drives >
fairmont mara safari club - 50 tents

hotels that sell game drives >
FS - 80 bedrooms
fairmont mount kenya safari club - 120 rooms

http://www.africatravelresource.com/...sw/mara/north/
lists 15 lodges. only serian mentioned here, by you and katesy

serian with private vehicle >
4 - ngare / lamai
5 - nkorombo
5/6 - original
6 - kusini / serengeti south
8 - serengeti north
did you do the nest? only walking safaris there?
my bad, you had mentioned private vehicle before

serian is limited to only 2 places, not botswana etc
elsewhere, private concessions avoid other lodges

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 9, 2015 at 5:03 pm
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by wripro
There are six people at most in a vehicle at Singita, hardly like a large cruise ship. And if you prefer you can book a private vehicle with guide and tracker.
Another benefit of Singita (at least in South Africa and Tanzania) is that they operate in private concessions. That means only Singita vehicles in the game reserve and no sharing with numerous other vehicles. Very private and exclusive experience.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
singita tanzania mobile camp is private, 2 person minimum

"large" "giant" - incorrect, singita bedroom counts >
6 - sweni / mara
9 - sabora
10 - faru faru
6 (+ 5 private) - pamushana
12 - ebony / boulders
15 - lebombo
Very good compilation. Although I would probably separate Serengeti House (4 bedrooms) from Sasakwa since they have their own private vehicles, facilities and staff. I also noticed you counted some of the 2-3 bedrooms at certain properties only once for the total count- is that because they specify it's a family suite and the extra bedroom(s) is only for children under 12?

E.g. Pamushana has 9 total bedrooms not including 5 bedroom villa and Boulders and Ebony have 14 bedrooms each.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
I would probably separate
i did separate: "(+ 8 private)" for villa and serengeti house at sasakwa, and villa at pamushana
guests in those villas might still use the common areas of the lodges at (or near) their location
regarding serengeti house: "spa facilities at the house or at nearby Singita Sasakwa Lodge Spa"

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
is that because...extra bedroom(s) is only for children under 12?
yes

and re singita and private vehicles >
Families of 4 or more members (including at least 1 child under the age of 10) are guaranteed the complimentary use of a private safari vehicle.
(singita lebombo, sabora, mara dont allow children under 10)

also nice at singita (and similar at a few others) >
supplement of 25% of the adult rate will be added from the third single room onwards

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 9, 2015 at 5:04 pm
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
All of the singita properties in South Africa and Tanzania are luxurious. As stated Royal Malewane in South Africa as well, but there are fences on the outskirts. Still very nice. In Botswana mombo and Chiefs are great , but you might not call luxurious although gorgeous tented camps and you will see all animals. In Capetown Ellerman House can't be beat, and if you venture to the wine country try La Residence. Africa has many luxury properties. If you have to overnight in Johannesburg the Saxon is lovely, and I hear the four seasons have overtaken the west cliff !
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:34 am

Is there any change to get a good deal at WS in Botswana for next year, Aug-Oct? Alternatively I´m looking at Singita´s offer Boulder and Lebombo with one night free. I think Okawango Delta would be my first choice but high season prices seem online really high. Maye anyone knows a good travel agent?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:50 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by landing
Is there any change to get a good deal at WS in Botswana for next year, Aug-Oct? Alternatively I´m looking at Singita´s offer Boulder and Lebombo with one night free. I think Okawango Delta would be my first choice but high season prices seem online really high. Maye anyone knows a good travel agent?
We used Taga Safaris for our Botswana WS bookings. It was a long time ago, but the idea was that since they were living in Africa, they got better pricing (and could better organize transfers).
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if mombo trails and little mombo renovation discount are still available?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by landing
Jessica Ourisman, who posts here semi-frequently, is a great resource and a Virtuoso travel agent. She arranged our last Botswana trip, and many others as well. I can't recommend her highly enough, she is fantastic.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ridefar
Jessica Ourisman, who posts here semi-frequently, is a great resource and a Virtuoso travel agent. She arranged our last Botswana trip, and many others as well. I can't recommend her highly enough, she is fantastic.
I have heard she is very passionate about safaris and South Africa. She is excellent. I also heard David is also excellent.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:39 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have a thread listing Virtuoso agents who post on Flyertalk, it is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479

In fairness to all of them, let's avoid further extensive commentary on that topic.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:56 pm

Thank´s for your advice. I´ll try to contact now some agents...
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

possible upcoming? nosy ankao island madagascar
http://www.timeandtideafrica.com/miavana
http://kerdowney.com/destinations/ma...ascar/miavana/
https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...82f468ebd6ba15
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:11 pm

Looks promising. I wonder how it will compare with North Island. Similar room size and room count. Perhaps not as scenic as Seychelles though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.