FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

offerendum Sep 27, 2016 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 27271984)
Sometimes you might find slightly cheaper rates with Expedia, but you'd lose out on the benefits you'd get with FHR, etc. IME it is almost always worth it to book with FHR.

MO New York has also guaranteed upgrade at time of booking

ABG Sep 28, 2016 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by the_outcast (Post 27264954)
I'm looking for advice / recommendations for a good Christmas hotel in New York. I know it's early to be talking about Christmas but I like to book in advance!

The Lowell at Christmas is very special... If your budget allows for a fireplace in the room/suite even more so.

Epicura Sep 29, 2016 8:08 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 27271984)
Sometimes you might find slightly cheaper rates with Expedia, but you'd lose out on the benefits you'd get with FHR, etc. IME it is almost always worth it to book with FHR.

And although I am not sure if MO would actually do this, but also keep in mind that many, many hotels reserve the "worst" rooms for OTA-bookings or package travel organisations.

My vote would be for the St Regis anyway, where I have spent Christmas holidays in 2014. Decoration was fantastic and wonderful hotel. Wish that all St Regis properties would be like the original one ;)

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shri...Yjg5NjAxZQ.jpg

pricesquire Sep 29, 2016 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Epicura (Post 27279444)
And although I am not sure if MO would actually do this, but also keep in mind that many, many hotels reserve the "worst" rooms for OTA-bookings or package travel organisations.

Correct!

One of my favorite GM's told me an interesting thing the other day.

Each morning, the entire hotel team goes over EVERY* arrival for that given day. Who they are, who booked them, allergies, special requests, etc.

So while they go over 'everyone', the only clients/arrivals they don't go over? OTA bookings.

This is pretty standard across the entire industry.

offerendum Sep 29, 2016 10:20 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 27279512)
Correct!

One of my favorite GM's told me an interesting thing the other day.

Each morning, the entire hotel team goes over EVERY* arrival for that given day. Who they are, who booked them, allergies, special requests, etc.

So while they go over 'everyone', the only clients/arrivals they don't go over? OTA bookings.

This is pretty standard across the entire industry.

In General I agree and normally use OTA Prices to us for example best rate claims at Starwood. Nevertheless I did some bookings in the pat when Price was significant cheaper (like Six Senses Ninh Van Bay). There I didnīt mention any difference, same with Raffles Seychelles or Banyan Tree Seychelles. At Raffles I even got an upgrade worth a few hundred € per night this time. So would not book it at NY, but at Holiday destinations it can be absolutely fine, especially as Virtuoso is often useless there as breakfast is included, you donīt wish the upgrade or you are already in the highest one bedroom option and at a 7 nights stay 100 $ credit doesnīt compensate very much.

DetailsIM Sep 29, 2016 11:01 am

I did a quick search and was surprised to not see the Baccarat listed in this thread. I haven't stayed there but it looks pretty impressive. Surely not everyone's taste tho.

pricesquire Sep 29, 2016 11:36 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 27280033)
In General I agree and normally use OTA Prices to us for example best rate claims at Starwood. Nevertheless I did some bookings in the pat when Price was significant cheaper (like Six Senses Ninh Van Bay). There I didnīt mention any difference, same with Raffles Seychelles or Banyan Tree Seychelles. At Raffles I even got an upgrade worth a few hundred € per night this time. So would not book it at NY, but at Holiday destinations it can be absolutely fine, especially as Virtuoso is often useless there as breakfast is included, you donīt wish the upgrade or you are already in the highest one bedroom option and at a 7 nights stay 100 $ credit doesnīt compensate very much.

Well what a lot of people forget is that you can always ask your Virtuoso advisor to request a price match. Not a week goes by where I don't have a supplier match the price showing on Expedia. Virtuoso has strict rules about rate parity and, baring any significant "reason" behind the price issue, they'll almost always match.

mike_la_jolla Sep 29, 2016 11:42 am

Originally Posted by DetailsIM (Post 27280245)
I did a quick search and was surprised to not see the Baccarat listed in this thread. I haven't stayed there but it looks pretty impressive.

Next time you are in NYC, you need to stop in and do a walk through of the Baccarat. You will realize quickly why it doesn't get much attention here.

I'd add as a side note that MO NYC might be as bad as the Plaza. (I know -- MIKE! That is a low blow!) I will never return until something changes, and changes *dramatically*.

And I'm puzzled by the positive comments about the Carlyle. This is a hotel with a famous bar and music venue attached. The 'hotel' is unremarkable with the goofy, dysfunctional rooms. Don't even get me started about the elevators...

I much prefer the Mark.

offerendum Sep 29, 2016 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 27280431)
Well what a lot of people forget is that you can always ask your Virtuoso advisor to request a price match. Not a week goes by where I don't have a supplier match the price showing on Expedia. Virtuoso has strict rules about rate parity and, baring any significant "reason" behind the price issue, they'll almost always match.

Normally I try it but I was often unsuccessful

pricesquire Sep 29, 2016 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla (Post 27280468)
Next time you are in NYC, you need to stop in and do a walk through of the Baccarat. You will realize quickly why it doesn't get much attention here.

I'd add as a side note that MO NYC might be as bad as the Plaza. (I know -- MIKE! That is a low blow!) I will never return until something changes, and changes *dramatically*.

And I'm puzzled by the positive comments about the Carlyle. This is a hotel with a famous bar and music venue attached. The 'hotel' is unremarkable with the goofy, dysfunctional rooms. Don't even get me started about the elevators...

I much prefer the Mark.

What do you mean re: the Baccarat? Specifics?

And what don't you like about the Mandarin Oriental? Plaza?

mike_la_jolla Sep 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 27280814)
What do you mean re: the Baccarat? Specifics?

And what don't you like about the Mandarin Oriental? Plaza?

Had disastrous stays at the Plaza and MO NYC.

- Comments about Plaza (#13 in this thread) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17840706-post13.html

- MO NYC was terrible at, uhhh, everything. I had forgotten how bad my stay was:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24692558-post34.html
I'd add that MO NYC was TERRIBLE for Easter. They had shut *everything* down. They refused to do a la carte BK in the resturant, unforgivable for a hotel of this caliber. That doesn't speak well for XMAS.

- I've eaten in the bar at the Baccarat and did a site inspection. It is just an uncomfortable place. Dining is awkward, to the point of impossible. Did the restaurant downstairs reopen? Comments here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25591418-post47.html

vuittonsofstyle Sep 30, 2016 9:39 am

I am waiting for Firmdale's Whitby Hotel to open (Dec 2016), but I will leave it a couple of months to settle down before I stay. I will also check out Baccarat, if only for the chandeliers.

SojournsOf Nov 13, 2016 10:07 pm

Crosby Street Hotel

Does anyone have an email for the GM of Crosby Street Hotel?

Kagehitokiri Nov 14, 2016 10:42 am

firmdalehotels.com/hotels/new-york/crosby-street-hotel/contacts/
nice when hotels/companies publish it
listed - assistant GM now (acting?) GM?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kathrin-apitz-1489a35

submonte Nov 14, 2016 11:27 am

The Plaza?

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla (Post 27281507)
Had disastrous stays at the Plaza and MO NYC.

- Comments about Plaza (#13 in this thread) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17840706-post13.html

- MO NYC was terrible at, uhhh, everything. I had forgotten how bad my stay was:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24692558-post34.html
I'd add that MO NYC was TERRIBLE for Easter. They had shut *everything* down. They refused to do a la carte BK in the resturant, unforgivable for a hotel of this caliber. That doesn't speak well for XMAS.

- I've eaten in the bar at the Baccarat and did a site inspection. It is just an uncomfortable place. Dining is awkward, to the point of impossible. Did the restaurant downstairs reopen? Comments here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25591418-post47.html

Except NY during UN (your post of 2012) and other events - Anything wrong with The Plaza as luxury hotel?

Location is top, isnīt it? 5th Ave/Central Park S, Bergdorf Goodman opposite, Madison one block away, many famous shops, restaurants, bars within walking distance.

If I am right - correct me please if not -, some renovation done recently, Palm Court, Rose Bar, lobby, etc., some suites eventually? Food on-site is ok? (for spoiled European taste :rolleyes:) Service is ok? (I am not a royal so for me those 5 stars will be enough I guess :p). Jazz Wednesdays ^

Prices from around 600$ per night for "Plaza room" (next April I would go to NYC for one week) seem reasonably? (eventually I could also manage to get a complimentary night as member of Fairmont Presidents Club) Any room categories to avoid at The Plaza?

The MO is newer and maybe more perfect, but the location? Peninsula appears very luxurious but is eventually not where I want to stay when in NYC. St. Regis and Ritz-Carlton I would consider as alternatives to The Plaza (style, location).

Thanks for any input!

SojournsOf Nov 14, 2016 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 27478759)
firmdalehotels.com/hotels/new-york/crosby-street-hotel/contacts/
nice when hotels/companies publish it
listed - assistant GM now (acting?) GM?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kathrin-apitz-1489a35

Wonder who is the actual GM - this Kathrin Apitz or Annelle Kapp as per website? In NYC for fashion week and my partner's 40th so I need some special arrangements at the hotel.

Out of interest, how do people generally book Crosby? I noticed it isn't Virtuoso. I've got a res through Grand Luxury Hotels - included confirmed upgrade, breakfast, champagne.

op487062 Nov 14, 2016 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by submonte (Post 27478996)
Except NY during UN (your post of 2012) and other events - Anything wrong with The Plaza as luxury hotel?

Location is top, isnīt it? 5th Ave/Central Park S, Bergdorf Goodman opposite, Madison one block away, many famous shops, restaurants, bars within walking distance.

If I am right - correct me please if not -, some renovation done recently, Palm Court, Rose Bar, lobby, etc., some suites eventually? Food on-site is ok? (for spoiled European taste :rolleyes:) Service is ok? (I am not a royal so for me those 5 stars will be enough I guess :p). Jazz Wednesdays ^

Prices from around 600$ per night for "Plaza room" (next April I would go to NYC for one week) seem reasonably? (eventually I could also manage to get a complimentary night as member of Fairmont Presidents Club) Any room categories to avoid at The Plaza?

The MO is newer and maybe more perfect, but the location? Peninsula appears very luxurious but is eventually not where I want to stay when in NYC. St. Regis and Ritz-Carlton I would consider as alternatives to The Plaza (style, location).

Thanks for any input!

For the same location, I prefer the Taj Pierre (61st St/5th Ave). A little smaller, definitely not as chaotic, views are a little better, and service is better.

FlyerEC Nov 14, 2016 4:08 pm

Thanks for any input!

Rather not stay at The Plaza but " pop in " . Was in Mandarin ( MONY ) in June room with Central Park views . The service has improved from previous stay & we were attended to promptly in the lounge area . Service with a smile on more than once .
Location is ok & walking distance for some shows in Broadway too . Saved us the hassle of getting a limo , cab or friends ' chauffeurs pick us .

We liked refurbished The Mark , UES , on 77 th / Madison just by Central Park . Besides being near museums , walking distance to Frick too , it has numerous restaurants & fine shopping around in a quieter residential area ;) besides her own .
Has the most expensive suite in the world ? Not occupied by us & as occupancy was running at capacity , I think was already taken up so no viewing ..

RichardInSF Nov 15, 2016 3:22 am

Currently back again in the Park Hyatt NYC. The hotel restaurant is currently closed for renovations but other than that service has overall improved here. I am pleased with the progress made, particularly with the doormen and entrance area where now, for most of the day, they are able to check-in arriving guests quickly and efficiently, allowing skipping a stop at the front desk.

offerendum Nov 15, 2016 4:48 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 27480249)
Has the most expensive suite in the world ? Not occupied by us & as occupancy was running at capacity , I think was already taken up so no viewing ..

Stoped counting all the most expensive suites in the world;) One day I will open a hotel and offer a cupbord at 1 million €

Cityflyer10 Nov 15, 2016 5:31 am

Thanks for any input!

Worth noting that 5th ave may or may not be closed by Secret service by then...at the very least there will be serious traffic problems a fair amount of the time on that section of 5th ave...

BLV Nov 15, 2016 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 27480249)
Rather not stay at The Plaza but " pop in ".

We liked refurbished The Mark , UES , on 77 th / Madison just by Central Park . Besides being near museums , walking distance to Frick too , it has numerous restaurants & fine shopping around in a quieter residential area ;) besides her own .

+1 on the above.

The location of The Plaza is too touristy & smells of horse$h!t & street vendors, because, well, they are parked literally across the street and then along the entire length of Central Park South (true for both horses & vendors).

If you want a more upscale location with a residential feel that still has you steps away from shopping & dining, as mentioned above, The Mark is a better option. Jazz is almost across the street at the Carlyle and you can often catch Woody Allen perform there.

CanuckFlyHigh Nov 16, 2016 2:09 pm

Which hotel in NYC would have the best concierge with a chance at getting me a reservation to Le Cou Cou next Wednesday? Would choose my hotel based on that. Thanks.

svo242 Nov 21, 2016 7:47 pm

Just had a stay at the Park Hyatt and was pleased with high levels of service and an excellent hard product.

RichardInSF Nov 21, 2016 9:02 pm

There has been a significant improvement in the PH NYC service, particularly in the front door area. Everything now works way more smoothly and is way more customer friendly than before.

KatW Dec 1, 2016 7:38 pm

Very specific location required:

Best Luxury hotel within 15 blocks or so of MoMA.

Is it The Pierre? The Peninsula? The St. Regis?

DavidO Dec 1, 2016 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 27554010)

Of those choices, my favorite would be the Peninsula.

KatW Dec 1, 2016 8:38 pm

Thank you, DAVID. Do you like another in the area?

DavidO Dec 1, 2016 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 27554215)

I just personally prefer the chic contemporary feel of the Peninsula to the traditional, classic feel of the St Régis across the street. The Pierre has smallish bathrooms with limited vanity space.

I do like the RC Central Park and love the views from the Deluxe Park View — panoramic view of northern Manhattan from over the tree line.

MikeFromTokyo Dec 2, 2016 5:29 am

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 27554215)

All of the midtown luxury hotels meet your requirement of proximity to MoMA.

In addition to the above recommendations, other options would include the Lowell, Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, and Park Hyatt.

I would choose The Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, or St. Regis.

vuittonsofstyle Dec 2, 2016 10:42 am

I have never had a good experience at The Pen NYC - just entering that lobby depresses me.

scented Dec 2, 2016 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 27556636)
I have never had a good experience at The Pen NYC - just entering that lobby depresses me.

I thought exactly the same. Also I can't see why anyone would associate contemporary with Peninsula, which is traditional in style and decor.

MikeFromTokyo Dec 2, 2016 7:19 pm

I find the accommodation at the Peninsula very comfortable at the level of Junior Suite and higher.

damaxer91 Jan 2, 2017 4:41 pm

Another stay completed at the Park Hyatt this weekend (this time with my kids) and we really enjoyed. The pool facilities are certainly tops in NYC and the service was excellent once again. They went out of their way to make sure the kids were accommodated and unlike many other Luxury Hotels, they asked in advance for the kids ages and made sure the crib had age-appropriate amenities and was adjusted to the correct height. We ordered food on Seamless a couple of times and the food was always brought up to our room promptly and included ice.

One thing I did notice was that the hotel has a lot of Chinese guests and has hired a staff to reflect that so there were several people on staff who certainly didn't speak English as their primary language. Not a major complaint, just something to keep an eye on.

Ericka Jan 3, 2017 3:36 am

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 27554010)

We've had excellent stays at both the Peninsula and the St. Regis. Both at the suite level. We've got trip reports on this forum if you're interested in searching them out. Service was great at both. It might come down to which decor you like best.

GK1998 Jan 3, 2017 4:55 am

We really loved the Baccarat, we had a classic suite which was very nice and spacious. Excellent service, the Grand Salon is fantastic for meeting with friends to have a snack and drniks.

It's located just opposit the MoMa. This is our current favorite in NYC. I find the Peninsula a bit tired.

^

Goodmorning2U Jan 3, 2017 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Ericka (Post 27696286)
We've had excellent stays at both the Peninsula and the St. Regis. Both at the suite level. We've got trip reports on this forum if you're interested in searching them out. Service was great at both. It might come down to which decor you like best.

Ericka, your trip reports are so enjoyable and invaluable when making decisions!

A few small points to add:

The Peninsula Spa, pool, and gym on the top floor are the best in the city, just above the quality offered by the new Park Hyatt.

The St. Regis recently renovated their gym and wisely moved it to the top of the hotel, but there is no pool or hot tub or sauna (which both Penninsula and Park Hyatt have as very welcome amenities).

Also, thoughts on the Park Hyatt:

I've recently had two stays there in a West Side Suite and have received very good service from everyone, particularly the doormen. Someone in management at the hotel must have received the memo that this area needed a little attention and I'm glad to report it is now a service area running smoothly.

The in room dining, able to be ordered via the in room ipad was simplely prepared but of good quality and taste.

Service: Name recognition could be improved across the board.

Concierge: The concierge provided standout good service, and

Spa: the massage at the spa was excellent. It is isn't well advertised but if you plan on being in NYC often and even if not staying at the hotel, they had a good value spa package, which was something similar to buy 10-hour services and receive thirty percent off and a free service. Enjoy the Asian pears and green tea even if you aren't having a treatment. The views from the corner 25th floor of the hotel are gorgeous.

Breakfast: the fresh fruit and vegetable juices aren't advertised at all but are out of this world. Be sure to ask for what they have prepared that day. Don't miss the apricot scones.

Even without Central Park views the Park Hyatt is a great addition to the NYC hotel luxury market.

damaxer91 Jan 3, 2017 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U (Post 27697651)

The Peninsula Spa, pool, and gym on the top floor are the best in the city, just above the quality offered by the new Park Hyatt.

Disagree with that but would agree that they are both nice

Goodmorning2U Jan 3, 2017 11:08 am

Originally Posted by damaxer91 (Post 27697929)
Disagree with that but would agree that they are both nice

The Mandarin Oriental has as nice a spa facility, some might prefer it to the Peninsula, but even if you are a paying guest you can't use the hot water features, sauna, and steam room, and jacuzzi, unless you book a treatment, with the exception perhaps of an hour or so a day at odd times.

Please share your favorite spa/facility in the city.

RichardInSF Jan 4, 2017 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U (Post 27697651)
...Also, thoughts on the Park Hyatt:

I've recently had two stays there in a West Side Suite and have received very good service from everyone, particularly the doormen. Someone in management at the hotel must have received the memo that this area needed a little attention and I'm glad to report it is now a service area running smoothly....

My comments on this hotel are in the Hyatt forum.

I have had repeated correspondence with the GM on this very topic, going back to my first stay here. The GM changed since I started this process but the current GM got the message. There has been a huge positive difference and I hope it continues at the current level. In my last five night stay, I had to touch one of the front doors only once the whole time.

This is now my regular NYC hotel, replacing in part a hotel nearby which is named something I don't like.