FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

DavidO Apr 16, 2013 7:20 pm

I think the East Side (Peninsula) will have more to see within walking distance than the West Side (MO).

Originally Posted by Phrantic (Post 20603758)
Would anyone have any quick recommendations for a great NYC spot for travelling with a 6 year old? I'm just looking for a room, not a suite and currently the peninsula or the MO has my attention. Am I looking in the wrong spots? Planning on showing the boy all the touristy spots.

MikeFromTokyo Apr 17, 2013 6:20 am

Would anyone have any quick recommendations for a great NYC spot for travelling with a 6 year old? I'm just looking for a room, not a suite and currently the peninsula or the MO has my attention. Am I looking in the wrong spots? Planning on showing the boy all the touristy spots.

I would choose the Peninsula, and would try to neggotiate a good deal on a Jr. Suite or higher category via confirmed upgrade or upsell at check-in.

MO is not the best choice if staying in a room, and frankly I prefer others like FS, Pen, Lowell, etc. at room or suite level.

Valveking Apr 17, 2013 7:30 am

We love the Peninsula and they have a particular level of Junior Suite that has a separate living room for your kid that is actually cheaper than the suite that is all one room. I think it is called a Junior Executive Suite. We always get this room. In fact, on our last trip we declined an upgrade to the "better" suite.

Obviously, the location at 55th and 5th is great. They have a great rooftop pool so don't let your 6 year old forget his swimsuit.

babiemindy Apr 17, 2013 8:06 am

While it's no Peninsula or MO, I'd recommend the Affinia Dumont on 34th - the rooms are spacious and has a kitchen. The hotel is conveniently located (right next to the Empire State Building) and you'll get to see all the touristy spots as well experience some international flavor of NYC nearby.

ABG Apr 17, 2013 11:46 am

Originally Posted by DavidO (Post 20603775)
I think the East Side (Peninsula) will have more to see within walking distance than the West Side (MO).

Not sure how many people would say Peninsula is on the East Side..... but it is the better choice here unless the kid really loves tall buildings. Both properties have limited rooms with two beds so the Peninsula jr. suite is a nice idea

stimpy Apr 17, 2013 11:52 am

I don't know how those other hotels are with kids, but the Plaza is great with kids and close to the Park too.

Phrantic Apr 17, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks everyone, all very helpful!

TravelConcierge May 2, 2013 8:59 pm

My suggestion may be too late, but I can also recommend The Setai Fifth Avenue, especially if your son is excited by the Empire State Building. We stayed with my 5 year old in one of the rooms with a view of the Empire State Building, which he loved. Rooms are modern and some of the largest in the city, and the house car is a Maserati--if available, it will take you anywhere in Manhattan.

tmr10001 May 4, 2013 6:06 am

I believe the majority of the above list would not be considered luxury hotels in New York. I would consider the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental and the Mark to be luxury.. everything else on this list is not luxury.

Note from RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels: I removed the post above this with the list as spam; the poster had already been suspended by a mod in another forum.

MSPeconomist May 4, 2013 7:22 am

Originally Posted by tmr10001 (Post 20696544)
I believe the majority of the above list would not be considered luxury hotels in New York. I would consider the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental and the Mark to be luxury.. everything else on this list is not luxury.

I might consider the Palace and the Algonquin, even though it's quirky, to be luxury, but I wonder where this list is coming from. Has the OP stayed in all of these properties and many more in NYC recently? If it's from some publication, the source should be acknowledged and the criteria/methodology specified for the ranking.

offerendum May 5, 2013 4:47 am

Originally Posted by subhashkashi (Post 20696078)
Here is the list of Best Luxury Hotels in New York

Cool List! To be honest, like MSPeconomist I would be interested how this list came together. Canīt see any pattern.

MikeFromTokyo May 5, 2013 5:16 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 20700174)
Cool List! To be honest, like MSPeconomist I would be interested how this list came together. Canīt see any pattern.

I hope you are being sarcastic here but am not sure. That list is utterly worthless. It contains a few of the city's top hotels, but omits many more. At the same time it includes properties that most would consider to be four star, if that.

It's a laugh that Four Seasons is placed near the bottom of the list, well below Ws and other awful hotels.

MikeFromTokyo May 5, 2013 5:34 am

Originally Posted by tmr10001 (Post 20696544)

The Mercer is the only other choice that qualifies as high-end.

The "list" omits the Lowell, the Greenwich, Crosby Street Hotel, The Peninsula, The Pierre, Ritz-Carlton Central Park, The Carlyle, Hotel Plaza Athénée, and perhaps others.

offerendum May 5, 2013 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 20700227)
I hope you are being sarcastic here but am not sure.

Of course it was (very angry look), especially as I coudnīt and canīt imagain, that the numbers mean a ranking. Itīs like: Hey poor guy! So sorry for you staying at Four Seasons - greating from the Barcley:D

vincentb89 May 5, 2013 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 20701637)
Of course it was (very angry look), especially as I coudnīt and canīt imagain, that the numbers mean a ranking. Itīs like: Hey poor guy! So sorry for you staying at Four Seasons - greating from the Barcley:D

:)
Though I would clearly stay away from the FS unless CP view / suite. Booked an entry level room there two years ago for the NY marathon and hardware was a shame. Old, in dire need of renovation and the room felt empty. Service was however excellent, as expected with Four Seasons, but spending rack rate for this kind of hardware when you've got so many good options nearby ... Any idea if they intend to do a refurb ?

offerendum May 6, 2013 7:40 am

Originally Posted by vincentb89 (Post 20702643)
:)
Though I would clearly stay away from the FS unless CP view / suite. Booked an entry level room there two years ago for the NY marathon and hardware was a shame. Old, in dire need of renovation and the room felt empty. Service was however excellent, as expected with Four Seasons, but spending rack rate for this kind of hardware when you've got so many good options nearby ... Any idea if they intend to do a refurb ?

I never stayed at FS New York, but from pictures I donīt find the rooms/ suites really ultra-luxury. If I planed our next trip to NY and discussed the options with my wife she said it looked like an Intercontinental;) Perhaps a little hard (especially by New York Intercontinental standrds), but I donīt think I will try the FS very soon.

P.S. I took the FS for my poast, because it was so deep ranked in this now removed list...

MikeFromTokyo May 6, 2013 8:19 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 20705054)
I never stayed at FS New York, but from pictures I donīt find the rooms/ suites really ultra-luxury. If I planed our next trip to NY and discussed the options with my wife she said it looked like an Intercontinental;) Perhaps a little hard (especially by New York Intercontinental standrds), but I donīt think I will try the FS very soon.

P.S. I took the FS for my poast, because it was so deep ranked in this now removed list...

IMO FS New York is only a good choice at the level of Executive Suite or above.
The tower rooms with city or park view are okay for single occupancy or if one does not mind having less space.

I am very interested in the one bedroom studio suite category (only two in the hotel IIRC). The views from the highest floors must be amazing.

TRAVELSIG May 7, 2013 9:00 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 20705263)
IMO FS New York is only a good choice at the level of Executive Suite or above.
The tower rooms with city or park view are okay for single occupancy or if one does not mind having less space.

I am very interested in the one bedroom studio suite category (only two in the hotel IIRC). The views from the highest floors must be amazing.

I have stayed in the standard rooms and they are OK and definitely the FS NY has some of the best service in New York.

If you want space and the best park views- and can bear with- the Trump wins on both categories by a long shot: Large 1 bedroom or 2 bedrooms suites with stunning views of CP.

offerendum May 7, 2013 10:54 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 20711469)
I have stayed in the standard rooms and they are OK and definitely the FS NY has some of the best service in New York.

If you want space and the best park views- and can bear with- the Trump wins on both categories by a long shot: Large 1 bedroom or 2 bedrooms suites with stunning views of CP.

But is service worth to pay the double price compared to other hotels with better rooms and a "normal" (in relation to itīs category) service?

P.S. OK is not enough in my eyes;)

RichardInSF May 7, 2013 11:57 am

On my one stay at the FS NY, I didn't experience that "best service in NY," unless every other NY hotel makes takes more than 20 minutes at the front desk just to check in. I also enjoyed the doormen watching me lug my suitcase up the steps from the entrance to lobby level and then being absent every other time I entered or exited for the rest of my stay. Requests from my room also took forever.

But then, I was a nobody staying in an entry level room, so they probably marked me with UV-visible ink so they could be sure to treat me poorly.

I've had much better luck at the Trump (despite the name) although even then the service is not close to Asian hotel standards.

Hotelsforlife May 7, 2013 8:17 pm

I think the Mark and the MO are the best properties in NYC.

FlyerEC May 7, 2013 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Hotelsforlife (Post 20714832)
I think the Mark and the MO are the best properties in NYC.

Think so too . But have not stayed at The Mark after refurbishment . Hope I will like it just as much , service as well

Blackbook May 7, 2013 9:55 pm

If I had to rank NYC properties...

1. FS NY (Tower Park View Room or Suite)
2. RC CP Club Level with CP View
3. St Regis NYC
4. MO NY (However, with the hard beds and the so so service I only go here at last resort)

Arrow29 May 13, 2013 11:32 am

The Surrey or The Plaza?

Hi all,

I understand that neither of these seem to be at the top of the recommended list, however places such as St Regis / RC
/ Peninsula / The Mark are out of our budget and so not feasible.

I managed to get a good rate at The Surrey (Grand Deluxe Salon) which I've confirmed for 5 nights, the price has now gone up by close to 25%. It's fully refundable.

I was just looking up hotels for some friends and found a deeply discounted rate for The Plaza (entry level Plaza King room) which is comparable in price to
The Surrey for the 5 night stay. Other booking sites including
directly with the hotel is considerably more expensive.

Would appreciate any thoughts as to comparisons
Between The Surrey and Plaza? Would you guys cancel and
book with The Plaza, or should I stick to what I've got?

Because its such a relatively good rate for the plaza it's tempting to go there (previously out of price range), but I've read some negative things on here re: the Plaza.

Thanks for any advice!

ABG May 13, 2013 12:56 pm

The location of the Plaza is mad house..... Stick with Surrey and enjoy the roof top deck

mike_la_jolla May 13, 2013 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Arrow29 (Post 20743754)
Would you guys cancel and
book with The Plaza, or should I stick to what I've got?

The Plaza has largely converted to condos. My last stay there was disastrous. I'd stick with the Surrey. My favorite at the moment is the Mark. I have found that the FS lacks buzz since Atelier closed.

Kagehitokiri May 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla (Post 20744746)
The Plaza has largely converted to condos...My favorite at the moment is the Mark.

lots of (new york) luxury hotels have residences incl mark and trump intl

plaza has 282 rooms and 181 condos including some in hotel inventory

Blackbook May 13, 2013 4:47 pm

The Plaza unfortunately is so similar to many Fairmonts, a lot of pretension and show, so very little luxury.. While FS is Prince Al Waleed's luxury hotel group, Fairmont frankly is his budget hotel group ...

Arrow29 May 14, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks for the advice, everyone, appreciate it. Have decided to stick with our booking at the Surrey :)

kronik1 May 19, 2013 10:46 pm

I have a booking currently for Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. I stayed there last year while it was still Capella managed and I actually quite enjoyed it (though there were a couple service hiccups). What I've seen here has given me pause - any reasonable deals out there for luxury hotels for May 30th-June 3rd? Was getting LP for 500 a night, can't seem to find anything of the same caliber but at the same price point.

RichardInSF May 19, 2013 11:08 pm

Welcome to FT, kronik1!

DavidO May 20, 2013 7:51 am

Langham Place Fifth Avenue is the former Setai Fifth Avenue, and it is a reasonably priced Manhattan possibility right by the Empire State Building and Radio City. Could you set us know what it is that has given you pause?

It is Virtuoso, and the amenities are:
  • Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
  • Continental breakfast daily, for up to two in room guests
  • $100 USD Food & Beverage credit, to be utilized during stay

You might check Ritz-Carlton Battery Park. Statue of Liberty room at $395, and Club room at $545, with Virtuoso amenities.

Originally Posted by kronik1 (Post 20778893)
I have a booking currently for Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. I stayed there last year while it was still Capella managed and I actually quite enjoyed it (though there were a couple service hiccups). What I've seen here has given me pause - any reasonable deals out there for luxury hotels for May 30th-June 3rd? Was getting LP for 500 a night, can't seem to find anything of the same caliber but at the same price point.

xray May 20, 2013 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Arrow29 (Post 20748995)
Thanks for the advice, everyone, appreciate it. Have decided to stick with our booking at the Surrey :)

Just got back from the Surrey and loved it... It's the only R&C hotel in NYC - we stayed there because it's pet-friendly. Highlights included the comfortable Duxiana bed, breakfast at Café Boulud, the body cream and toiletries by Laura Tonatto and a great facial at Spa Cornelia. It's a boutique hotel so not like the Plaza (never) or the MO (which we also like). The location is great too...

kronik1 May 20, 2013 10:42 am

Thank you for the warm welcome. :)

I've found that some of the things that have resulted in making another reservation (niceties like free complete refills of the minibar, drycleaning services, etc.) have either been changed or completely removed. AMEX's rate is currently lower than LHW's but since it's not FHR, there's no real incentives. The Virtuoso option doesn't sound half bad.

MinsaButchen May 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Yes the MO is in a mall but what a mall you are above 7 Michelin Stars and next to 10 Michelin Stars. The Time Warner Centre is a very good mall its not just a cheap horrible mall. It also has Bouchon Bakery which is a fab place for breakfast.

Originally Posted by grumbler (Post 19567436)
1. FS rooms are bland - I find it a thoroughly uninspiring FS.
2. MO has great rooms, and is a real skyscraper hotel. Service is not super, though - and you are in a big mall.
3. Peninsula - OK, but probably one of the weakest hotels in the chain. Chicago still better.
4. Lowell - very nice service and very intimate. But seriously blue rinse crowd, and it is a bit fuddy duddy. Which kind of fits the Harper guides.

DavidO May 22, 2013 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by MinsaButchen (Post 20795456)
... it also has Bouchon Bakery which is a fab place for breakfast.

Who pays for breakfast when they get it free with Virtuoso or FAN Club amenities?

ABG May 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO (Post 20795595)
Who pays for breakfast when they get it free with Virtuoso or FAN Club amenities?

Oh come on.... Just because it is free doesn't mean there isn't a better/more fun/unique way of doing bfast.

MinsaButchen May 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO (Post 20795595)

People that are bored with eating in the hotel for 14 days straight

MinsaButchen May 22, 2013 9:36 pm

I really like a hotel with a spa and pool if possible my legs get sore and like warm water to sooth them so a jacuzzi will suffice. But I did love the spa at the Oriental it did have the best treatments but they did try to charge me for entering.

MinsaButchen May 22, 2013 9:38 pm

I know its mostly illegal but is there away to book an apartment in NYC for 2 weeks. Or is that against the short stay rules.