FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

G-CIVC Feb 20, 2019 8:36 am

Am I crazy to choose PH NY over FS downtown for the same rates? (Similar room type - entry level suite)

Location - wouldn't say don't care but midtown is not 'essential'

Both properties are new builds and have the same designer (YP if I'm right) - this is weird but I actually care a lot about the shower/bathroom, anyone knows if FS Downtown can match PH NY when it comes to that? :D Or any alternatives?

BESVISOR Feb 20, 2019 8:50 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC (Post 30801295)
Am I crazy to choose PH NY over FS downtown for the same rates? (Similar room type - entry level suite)

Location - wouldn't say don't care but midtown is not 'essential'

Both properties are new builds and have the same designer (YP if I'm right) - this is weird but I actually care a lot about the shower/bathroom, anyone knows if FS Downtown can match PH NY when it comes to that? :D Or any alternatives?

No, I wouldn't say that's crazy at all!

I like both and tend to like FS Downtown a bit better because I like the area a bit more for a better food scene and less tourists.
The FS Downtown Bathroom is great as well. I think PH's bathroom is great but can be a bit suite based. If you're in the city view suite then having a view in the bathroom next to the bathtub is great and better than FS's bathroom.

I also love the Baccarat in mid-town. Probably my favorite in mid-town for my personal taste. It's a stunning property.
Newer than PH.

A bit off track - Not sure how you booked it but booking through Hyatt Prive agents. You can likely get an upgrade from 1 bedroom suite to the city view suite at booking(within 24 hours). which would give you a better bathroom :)

Depending on time of year, many of my clients leverage that upgrade at booking/within 24 hours to book 1 bedroom suite to 1 bedroom city view suite or 1 bedroom residential suite to the 1 bedroom terrace suite (having a terrace in spring and fall is great for some). But often, the price jump/upgrade value from City View Suite to Residential Suite is actually the greater one to be had (could easily be $400 - $700++/night difference). So it all depends on what you value.

G-CIVC Feb 21, 2019 6:48 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR (Post 30801361)
No, I wouldn't say that's crazy at all!

I like both and tend to like FS Downtown a bit better because I like the area a bit more for a better food scene and less tourists.
The FS Downtown Bathroom is great as well. I think PH's bathroom is great but can be a bit suite based. If you're in the city view suite then having a view in the bathroom next to the bathtub is great and better than FS's bathroom.

I also love the Baccarat in mid-town. Probably my favorite in mid-town for my personal taste. It's a stunning property.
Newer than PH.

A bit off track - Not sure how you booked it but booking through Hyatt Prive agents. You can likely get an upgrade from 1 bedroom suite to the city view suite at booking(within 24 hours). which would give you a better bathroom :)

Depending on time of year, many of my clients leverage that upgrade at booking/within 24 hours to book 1 bedroom suite to 1 bedroom city view suite or 1 bedroom residential suite to the 1 bedroom terrace suite (having a terrace in spring and fall is great for some). But often, the price jump/upgrade value from City View Suite to Residential Suite is actually the greater one to be had (could easily be $400 - $700++/night difference). So it all depends on what you value.

Thank you BESVISOR for your detailed comments! Also looked at Baccarat but it was quite a premium over the other two mentioned here.

In fact, the only reason I'm looking at FS Downtown as well is because PH NY denied my Prive upgrade a few months out! So we weren't sure if we wanted to pay big(ish) bucks to stay in a 'faux' suite only over there as their junior suites don't have well partitioned living rooms...

BESVISOR Feb 21, 2019 6:55 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC (Post 30804869)
Thank you BESVISOR for your detailed comments! Also looked at Baccarat but it was quite a premium over the other two mentioned here.

In fact, the only reason I'm looking at FS Downtown as well is because PH NY denied my Prive upgrade a few months out! So we weren't sure if we wanted to pay big(ish) bucks to stay in a 'faux' suite only over there as their junior suites don't have well partitioned living rooms...

Anytime!!

Ahh, gotcha! I assume your TA is likely a FSPP...From my experience, FS Downtown is very good about upgrades for FSPP bookings. In case that factor helps with decision. Since PH upgrade seems a bit rocky for your stay.

mrmbenz1 Feb 21, 2019 7:07 am

To second BESVISOR’s posts, I think you will have a very enjoyable stay at FSNYDT, G-CIVC. The bathrooms are stunning, with or without a view, and even the entry level suites still feel like a true suite. Beyond the hard product, service at the hotel is wonderful throughout and the staff truly go out of their way to make you feel welcomed. As long as you don’t have a pressing need to be in midtown, I would choose FS without hesitation. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the charm of the surrounding neighborhoods and ease of access to the subway should you wish to head uptown; during my most recent stay I didn’t even venture north of soho!

Hope you have a great trip and let us know your thoughts after!

Aventine Feb 21, 2019 7:59 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC (Post 30804869)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8fcfc0c10d.jpg

This is a standard room bathroom and it's still very, very nice. I'm sure suites will have better views than office tower! The service at FS Downtown blew PH out of the water. No silly breakfast restrictions like PH and their asinine 57th st Breakfast limit.

The PH NY junior suite is terrible. Most get street noise and it isn't much of a partition at all. The only wall is the hallway wall that holds the bedroom television. Their bathtub had the worst drainage noise ever too.

sophialite Apr 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Sad to say that after 10 years of patronizing the Crosby Street Hotel and other Firmdale brands (Hamyard, Covent Garden), I'm done with the brand. I've spent over $100k at this chain and have overlooked numerous service lapses and it's clear that none of their properties come close to the other places in the world at their price point (Four Seasons Florence, Crillon, Aman Tokyo).

I would love to take suggestions on where to stay in NYC, and money is no object. I prefer SoHo or Tribeca. Can't stand FiDi. Don't want to do Columbus Circle. And can tolerate Midtown East / UES. I have no hotel loyalty so please throw anything at me.

BESVISOR Apr 13, 2019 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 30996887)
Sad to say that after 10 years of patronizing the Crosby Street Hotel and other Firmdale brands (Hamyard, Covent Garden), I'm done with the brand. I've spent over $100k at this chain and have overlooked numerous service lapses and it's clear that none of their properties come close to the other places in the world at their price point (Four Seasons Florence, Crillon, Aman Tokyo).

I would love to take suggestions on where to stay in NYC, and money is no object. I prefer SoHo or Tribeca. Can't stand FiDi. Don't want to do Columbus Circle. And can tolerate Midtown East / UES. I have no hotel loyalty so please throw anything at me.

Sorry to hear!

I would highly suggest Four Seasons Downtown which is near Tribeca and for anything near mid-town I'd highly suggest Baccarat.

Not that either is perfect, 100% of the time but they can both be very good for the NYC market.

This is based on multiple stays myself at each and having booked many clients at both properties as well (based on their feedback).
On a couple occasions when an issue occurred, they do their best to recover with the right attitude.
In fact, I have a client/friend who is staying at FS Downtown at the moment. They had some very specific requests and the management went out of the way to accommodate pre-arrival.

Hope you will have a better experience on your next visit to NYC!

bhrubin Apr 13, 2019 4:01 pm

I’ve heard great things about both the FS Downtown and the Baccarat. But I’d definitely throw the St Regis into the mix, too. I love boutique hotels, but I truly love the St Regis—amazing service, big rooms and suites, plush and luxurious, incredible food/beverage, and one of the best bars around. (Even though I otherwise am not a fan of Midtown.)

sophialite Apr 13, 2019 4:26 pm

Thanks. Honestly the more I think about it the more I can't stomach staying north of Soho.

The FS downtown looks but location is suspect. How easy is it to walk to the cool stuff in Manhattan? Most of my trips have me around Soho or meatpacking.

ABG Apr 13, 2019 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 30997157)
Thanks. Honestly the more I think about it the more I can't stomach staying north of Soho.

The Greenwich is your only choice then to replace Crosby Street
I was going to originally post for UES & The Lowell to be the perfect replacement for Crosby Street. But if you are a meatpacking fan I'm guessing you'd feel the Lowell is too UES old world feeling

sophialite Apr 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by ABG (Post 30997222)
The Greenwich is your only choice then to replace Crosby Street
I was going to originally post for UES & The Lowell to be the perfect replacement for Crosby Street. But if you are a meatpacking fan I'm guessing you'd feel the Lowell is too UES old world feeling

Thanks. Was going to book the Greenwich but the room I wanted was taken. Maybe I’ll check it out on this trip but will book for my next one if it looks good.

330West Apr 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 30997157)

The FS downtown looks but location is suspect. How easy is it to walk to the cool stuff in Manhattan? Most of my trips have me around Soho or meatpacking.

What do you define as "the cool stuff in Manhattan"? That can vary wildly from one person to the next.

NYC Flyer Apr 13, 2019 7:11 pm

I prefer SoHo or Tribeca. Can't stand FiDi. Don't want to do Columbus Circle. And can tolerate Midtown East / UES.

Appreciate your taste...

Too bad to hear about Firmdale...I've enjoyed my (much more limited) exposure to them in London.

Do look into the Greenwich Hotel another time. Great location in Tribeca (close to the Hudson).

I've also very much enjoyed the Roxy (former Tribeca Grand), but wouldn't put it in the same class of hotel.

ABG Apr 13, 2019 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 30997226)

Thanks. Was going to book the Greenwich but the room I wanted was taken. Maybe I’ll check it out on this trip but will book for my next one if it looks good.

Just remember, if you aren't a hotel guest you can't really "check-it out" as there are no public areas at this hotel

sophialite Apr 14, 2019 12:07 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer (Post 30997494)
Appreciate your taste...

Too bad to hear about Firmdale...I've enjoyed my (much more limited) exposure to them in London.

Do look into the Greenwich Hotel another time. Great location in Tribeca (close to the Hudson).

I've also very much enjoyed the Roxy (former Tribeca Grand), but wouldn't put it in the same class of hotel.

Yup, stayed at the Hamyard (and the Denman residences) many times, as well as the Covent Garden. I think the hard product is among the best out there. But the service lapses are too much. Might fly in the US, but not in places like London, Paris, etc.

sophialite Apr 14, 2019 12:08 am

Originally Posted by ABG (Post 30997649)
Just remember, if you aren't a hotel guest you can't really "check-it out" as there are no public areas at this hotel

My assistant contacted them yesterday and arranged for a viewing of one of the rooms. I think I'll be ok. Thanks for the heads up, though.

brandie Apr 14, 2019 8:06 am

My assistant contacted them yesterday and arranged for a viewing of one of the rooms. I think I'll be ok. Thanks for the heads up, though.

I'm impressed they will allow for a viewing. I was irritated at the New York Standard when they would not allow me to view one of the rooms.
I was staying at the High Line Hotel at the time. I would not put the Standard or the High Line the class you are looking for. I needed
to stay in the Meatpacking/Chelsea District and there were not a lot of options. My choices came down to Standard or High Line but I chose
High LIne due to larger room size. High LIne is quirky but close to a lot of restaurants and Chelsea Market and also close to the High LIne trail
but it was a long walk to subways. Again, I would not call either a high end luxury hotel which is what this thread is about but for Chelsea/Meatpacking area the Standard and High Line are at the high end for the district.

I'll be interested in your feedback on the Greenwich after your viewing as I'm considering it for my next stay.

Joshsen Jul 25, 2019 6:53 pm

Any news on the equinox hotel?
ps how is Aman going?

grumbler Jul 29, 2019 2:08 pm

I don't know but I am still rolling my eyes at the exchange that preceded it.

sophialite Jul 31, 2019 7:13 am

Not sure if grumbler's eyes rolled out of his head. Anyways...
Tried the CSH one more time just for pete's sake a few weeks ago. Still too many service lapses. My partner still continued to wonder why I spend $1k per night for this property. My assistant the same. All the people I hosted at the hotel the same. And I think it's high time I moved it over.

I booked the Greenwich Hotel in a corner suite for December. Will see how it goes. Tribeca is a bit of an older crowd than SoHo, but still not nearly as bad as midtown.

I suppose if the GH doesn't work out, then I'll try the Baccarat.

And if the Baccarat doesn't work, hopefully the Aman will be open by my next visit :D

Aventine Jul 31, 2019 8:15 am

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 31362641)
Not sure if grumbler's eyes rolled out of his head. Anyways...
Tried the CSH one more time just for pete's sake a few weeks ago. Still too many service lapses. My partner still continued to wonder why I spend $1k per night for this property. My assistant the same. All the people I hosted at the hotel the same. And I think it's high time I moved it over.

I booked the Greenwich Hotel in a corner suite for December. Will see how it goes. Tribeca is a bit of an older crowd than SoHo, but still not nearly as bad as midtown.

I suppose if the GH doesn't work out, then I'll try the Baccarat.

And if the Baccarat doesn't work, hopefully the Aman will be open by my next visit :D

Four Seasons Downtown has always been good to me. I'd highly recommend it.

sophialite Jul 31, 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 31362835)
Four Seasons Downtown has always been good to me. I'd highly recommend it.

I was thinking about this. I might do it but I try to stay at hotels that don't feel like "hotels," if that makes sense. From the pictures of the rooms, Four Seasons seemed really ordinary. That's why I liked the CSH so much. The rooms there were so much more "home like."

Revolution Jul 31, 2019 2:18 pm

Rooms at Four Seasons Downtown New York are ordinary. Designed by Yabu Pushelberg -- says it all, really!

sophialite Jul 31, 2019 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Revolution (Post 31364428)
Rooms at Four Seasons Downtown New York are ordinary. Designed by Yabu Pushelberg -- says it all, really!

I don't know who that is.

RichardInSF Jul 31, 2019 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 31364449)

I don't know who that is.

They're a currently trendy interior design firm. They also did the Park Hyatt NYC further west on 57th.

sophialite Jul 31, 2019 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 31364471)
They're a currently trendy interior design firm. They also did the Park Hyatt NYC further east on 57th.

Gross.

Don't get me wrong I love the Four Seasons. I don't have loyalty to any one chain but if I stay at one chain the most it's the Four Seasons. But some properties are better than the other.

PHs have mostly been a clunker for me, even in Tokyo. Only really good one was Seoul but I haven't stayed there since 2015 so a lot can change.

Revolution Jul 31, 2019 2:49 pm

Yabu Pushelberg should only be designing offices and doctor's waiting rooms instead of high-end hotels -- totally soulless.

MikeFromTokyo Jul 31, 2019 3:21 pm

They’ve done great work, I always loved Four Seasons Marunouchi. However, I am not a fan of all of their projects, PH Bangkok being one such exception.

SojournsOf Jul 31, 2019 5:14 pm

Shame reading about CSH - I love this property, but haven't been to NYC now for a couple of years...

stimpy Aug 26, 2019 5:54 am

I am at the Trump now. Booked with FHR and got 3rd night free with the usual bennies and an upgrade to an Executive Suite/apartment. It's not on a residential floor, but it has a full kitchen. I think this is my first mid-town hotel stay that has a swimming pool. Nice steam and sauna too. I like most everything about this hotel except the design in the room is a bit dated, especially in the small bathroom. Everything is shiny and new looking though. No stains or scratches anywhere. And of course I love the location. We usually stay at the St Regis on family visits, but gave this a try. It is perfectly fine.

If anyone stayed at the Ritz Carlton by Four Seasons in Chicago before the recent renovation I would say that is a good comp. Great hotel and great service, but the RC really needed that renovation. This hotel could use the same makeover.

I have to add now that the pool closed yesterday for renovation. And the locker rooms are closing today. No advanced warning at all. That plus the small bathroom are the only two negatives so far.

sophialite Dec 9, 2019 2:45 am

Bumping this thread to note I'll be staying at the Greenwich Hotel in about two weeks, based on the recommendations in this thread, and thereby dumping my usual favorite--the Crosby Street Hotel.

I've taken up a suite as the rooms didn't seem all that great from my previous visit. I'll report back on whether I like it.

I unfortunately can't do the Baccarat. I'm in general finding Manhattan less and less appealing. Previously the only areas that made the city somewhat enjoyable for me were Soho, Nolita, LES, East Village and Tribeca (and now soho is pretty whatever to me), but there's just nothing for me in the UES, UWS, or in Midtown.

And this makes me conflicted because I'm curious to try the Aman whenever it finally opens.

sppunk Aug 14, 2020 8:48 pm

Old thread, new bump.

Our favorite hotel in the city - we have like 40 nights there in three years for theater weekends - the Bryant Park Hotel is closing/has closed. We are devastated - it isn’t “luxury” but in NYC that’s hard to find and imo seldom worth the expense.

My question​​​​​: does anyone know a upscale / luxury hotel around Bryant Park that has hardwood floors / minimalist-style rooms and possible separate shower and tub? That’s what we loved about the Bryant Park (other than the staff). The separate shower and tub, the clean rooms and the Morton Brown products. I am so sad.

Goodmorning2U Sep 25, 2021 2:44 pm

Rosewood Carlyle

Every few years I check in on the Carlyle to see if they have done renovations because I think the hotel has such tremendous, and unfortunately every time I am disappointed. Have they carried out any significant renovations on the rooms and amenities? Its hard to tell from the Rosewood website.

WasKnown Sep 25, 2021 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by sppunk (Post 32605179)
Old thread, new bump.

Our favorite hotel in the city - we have like 40 nights there in three years for theater weekends - the Bryant Park Hotel is closing/has closed. We are devastated - it isn’t “luxury” but in NYC that’s hard to find and imo seldom worth the expense.

My question​​​​​: does anyone know a upscale / luxury hotel around Bryant Park that has hardwood floors / minimalist-style rooms and possible separate shower and tub? That’s what we loved about the Bryant Park (other than the staff). The separate shower and tub, the clean rooms and the Morton Brown products. I am so sad.

I know this is old but for anyone wondering, the Bryant Park Hotel has reopened. I agree that it's far from a luxurious hotel but FYI it is probably one of the best hotels that matches your criteria (near Bryant park, hardwood floors, minimalist, + separate tub and shower).

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U (Post 33596140)
Every few years I check in on the Carlyle to see if they have done renovations because I think the hotel has such tremendous, and unfortunately every time I am disappointed. Have they carried out any significant renovations on the rooms and amenities? Its hard to tell from the Rosewood website.

AFAIK, no. I agree the property has been neglected a lot. I wouldn't consider it a top-tier option anymore (which is unfortunate as it has many fundamentals going for it).

mike_la_jolla Sep 25, 2021 7:09 pm

Carlyle Rosewood ...

Originally Posted by WasKnown (Post 33596548)
AFAIK, no. I agree the property has been neglected a lot. I wouldn't consider it a top-tier option anymore (which is unfortunate as it has many fundamentals going for it).

Curious. Could you elaborate on the positive fundamentals? We had a miserable stay at the Carlyle. Even the elevators are subpar. I've long asserted that this is a famous bar and concert venue with a hotel attached. The hotel seems to be a clever attempt to cover the overhead for the condos.

WasKnown Sep 25, 2021 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla (Post 33596575)
Carlyle Rosewood ...

Curious. Could you elaborate on the positive fundamentals? We had a miserable stay at the [color=#333333]Carlyle. Even the elevators are subpar. I've long asserted that this is a famous bar and concert venue with a hotel attached.

Fair enough. I'm not surprised to hear that you had an unpleasant stay there. By fundamentals, I really just mean the building's architecture, rich history, and very unique location. The only other credible option nearby is The Mark Hotel. While The Mark has its own share of issues, I would consider it strictly superior to the Carlyle these days. A far cry from the hotel's past as the "New York White House".

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla (Post 33596575)
The hotel seems to be a clever attempt to cover the overhead for the condos.

AFAIK, the Carlyle only sells co-ops. https://streeteasy.com/building/the-...ponsors=falseI reckon this $2.75 million unit (which would not even classify it as "luxury" in Manhattan) is 1250 square feet. The monthly carry cost is $28K on top of that $2.75 million. Not sure how much subsidizing is going on but that's high even by NYC standards.

wanderlustFL Sep 30, 2021 9:22 am

Any news on the reopening of the Chatwal?

When I plan on attending a few Broadway shows, this is by far my favorite choice for convenience. I have noticed the reopening date keeps slipping….was August, then late Sept and now it seems Nov 1, 2021. I have reservation for mid Jan ‘22, so I am still not too concerned. But, any updates that can confirm that the intent of the Dream Group is still to reopen before then would be appreciated. It would be a real shame if this property falls to the pandemic. I love the attached Lambs Club too for breakfast and the occasional dinner. Storied setting and great food. Cannot think of more cozy space on icy NYC winter morning than in front a roaring fire in the fireplace gifted to the Lambs Club by Stanford White.

RichardInSF Sep 30, 2021 11:03 pm

Although it was a number of years ago, I also had a bad experience at the Carlyle (in a suite) and would never go back again.

WasKnown Oct 3, 2021 8:02 am

Originally Posted by wanderlustFL (Post 33608248)
When I plan on attending a few Broadway shows, this is by far my favorite choice for convenience. I have noticed the reopening date keeps slipping….was August, then late Sept and now it seems Nov 1, 2021. I have reservation for mid Jan ‘22, so I am still not too concerned. But, any updates that can confirm that the intent of the Dream Group is still to reopen before then would be appreciated. It would be a real shame if this property falls to the pandemic. I love the attached Lambs Club too for breakfast and the occasional dinner. Storied setting and great food. Cannot think of more cozy space on icy NYC winter morning than in front a roaring fire in the fireplace gifted to the Lambs Club by Stanford White.

I believe they were most recently targeting a mid October but,
per your comment, have pushed it back again.

The Time NY and the Margaritaville Resort in Time Square have reopened. The hotel may reopen to avoid fees associated with this: https://therealdeal.com/2021/09/24/n...severance-pay/. It matches up with the November 1 deadline so I think it will stick. However, I would temper your expectations. If that is the case, they would literally be forced by the city to reopen. That doesn’t sound like a recipe for a great experience to me.