FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

Kagehitokiri May 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by MinsaButchen (Post 20796399)
I know its mostly illegal but is there away to book an apartment in NYC for 2 weeks. Or is that against the short stay rules.

buildings can have minumum leases, but they are not laws
there are no minimum rental laws in new york city
(such laws do exist, but i think they are rare)

plenty of (luxury) hotel options (room with kitchen, or apartment, or condohotel)

MikeFromTokyo May 22, 2013 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by MinsaButchen (Post 20796399)
I know its mostly illegal but is there away to book an apartment in NYC for 2 weeks. Or is that against the short stay rules.

The Mark and The Carlyle come to mind for this, but many other options also have full kitchens.

The Mark has particularly good looking kitchens with brand new appliances.

robyng May 25, 2013 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 20796476)
buildings can have minumum leases, but they are not laws
there are no minimum rental laws in new york city
(such laws do exist, but i think they are rare)

plenty of (luxury) hotel options (room with kitchen, or apartment, or condohotel)

Actually - there are laws outlawing this in NYC and other places these days:

http://skift.com/2013/01/07/airbnbs-...legal-rentals/

Some of the main reasons behind the laws are health and safety issues (hotels and similar are held to higher standards than standard residential occupancies when it comes to things like fire codes). Robyn

Kagehitokiri May 25, 2013 2:39 pm

NYC >
thanks robyng, 2 years ago, cant believe i forgot
re rentals less than 30 days >
(lux) condohotel seem legal, hotel fractional (incl st regis) and timeshare must be legal
seems to only apply to multi-family, and there seem to be other legal exceptions as well

in general >
maybe the laws are becoming more common, using existing laws as precedent

RichardInSF Aug 5, 2013 9:40 pm

I am currently staying in an entry level suite at the Carlyle hotel on the Upper East Side.

This is a luxury hotel that was built in 1930 and it shows its age in the usual ways, such as tiny, tiny, tiny bathrooms. You literally have to do a bit of contortion to exit the shower/bath and if you forget to put the top of the seat down, you may find yourself stepping into the toilet. It is a genuine suite -- two rooms, ample closet space, and a guest lavatory with sink and toilet (which is more spacious than in the main bathroom). The noisy a/c is clearly a more recent addition and cycles on and off with apparently no way to leave the noise level constant. Rooms do have adequate lighting. Furnishings are well-aged and not overwhelming in quality to begin with. TVs have been updated to flat panels.

There are 3-4 lifts but only two are usable during the day and only one at all other times, because the hotel chooses to require lift attendants in the small, but automatic, elevators and they don't have more attendants on duty than noted.

The included virtuoso/FHR buffet breakfast is nothing special with a smallish selection; overall decent. For Virtuoso, you can choose room service but only get a $50 room credit. As two continental breakfasts cost $72++ through room service, your credit won't go far.

On the plus side, staff seems quite anxious to help, with the exception of some gnarly front desk staff.

The hotel seems to encourage lots of pets, kids, and long term residents.

I don't see peeling paint as reported by folks at the Waldorf-Astoria Towers but I suspect the vintage is about the same.

Internet access is $15 a day plus tax.

I likely will pick somewhere else next time. It's really remodel time here.

Looking back at DavidO's review three years ago in the following thread, it's hard to believe we stayed at the same hotel -- maybe other rooms had been renovated and mine wasn't? However, my room is ivory colored; if it has been renovated, it hasn't aged well. Note that Virtuoso amenities have been significantly degraded since David's stay. The additional amenity is now a $100 spa credit; it's hard to know what this is really worth without hassle as the in-room spa catalog doesn't list prices!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479

vuittonsofstyle Aug 6, 2013 9:00 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 21221639)
I am currently staying in an entry level suite at the Carlyle hotel on the Upper East Side.

This is a luxury hotel that was built in 1930 and it shows its age in the usual ways, such as tiny, tiny, tiny bathrooms. You literally have to do a bit of contortion to exit the shower/bath and if you forget to put the top of the seat down, you may find yourself stepping into the toilet. It is a genuine suite -- two rooms, ample closet space, and a guest lavatory with sink and toilet (which is more spacious than in the main bathroom). The noisy a/c is clearly a more recent addition and cycles on and off with apparently no way to leave the noise level constant. Rooms do have adequate lighting. Furnishings are well-aged and not overwhelming in quality to begin with. TVs have been updated to flat panels.

There are 3-4 lifts but only two are usable during the day and only one at all other times, because the hotel chooses to require lift attendants in the small, but automatic, elevators and they don't have more attendants on duty than noted.

The included virtuoso/FHR buffet breakfast is nothing special with a smallish selection; overall decent. For Virtuoso, you can choose room service but only get a $50 room credit. As two continental breakfasts cost $72++ through room service, your credit won't go far.

On the plus side, staff seems quite anxious to help, with the exception of some gnarly front desk staff.

The hotel seems to encourage lots of pets, kids, and long term residents.

I don't see peeling paint as reported by folks at the Waldorf-Astoria Towers but I suspect the vintage is about the same.

Internet access is $15 a day plus tax.

I likely will pick somewhere else next time. It's really remodel time here.

Looking back at DavidO's review three years ago in the following thread, it's hard to believe we stayed at the same hotel -- maybe other rooms had been renovated and mine wasn't? However, my room is ivory colored; if it has been renovated, it hasn't aged well. Note that Virtuoso amenities have been significantly degraded since David's stay. The additional amenity is now a $100 spa credit; it's hard to know what this is really worth without hassle as the in-room spa catalog doesn't list prices!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479

Just heard that a massive refurbishment will happen next year, under the new ownership. Should be very interesting!

RichardInSF Aug 6, 2013 10:38 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 21223786)
Just heard that a massive refurbishment will happen next year, under the new ownership. Should be very interesting!

I asked a concierge about that and they stated that it would continue on a floor-by-floor basis, "as they are doing now."

That suggests that I am on an unrefurbed floor, especially given that the flooring has lost its varnish in spots.

vuittonsofstyle Aug 6, 2013 11:00 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 21224373)
I asked a concierge about that and they stated that it would continue on a floor-by-floor basis, "as they are doing now."

That suggests that I am on an unrefurbed floor, especially given that the flooring has lost its varnish in spots.

Always best to ask for a refurbished room. Sounds as though yours was not, given the floor.

jaffwatson Aug 8, 2013 5:36 am

Well you should not worry about the UN meeting as it would not make such a large impact on your vacation. The Mark is a really nice place to accommodate and it will suit many of your requirements.

TravelConcierge Oct 8, 2013 6:59 am

Re: Langham Place Fifth Avenue (formerly The Setai Fifth Avenue) the other nice aspect of Virtuoso, in addition to the included amenities (upgrade on availability, complimentary breakfast, $100 F&B credit) is that the rates are 10% lower than BAR. Just booked a client here, who is appreciative of the larger rooms (smallest are 420 sq ft and next smallest is 688 sq ft) vs. other NYC rooms. Cons are that there's no pool and have found Ai Fiori underwhelming for lunch, though breakfast was quite good.

Originally Posted by kronik1 (Post 20781266)
Thank you for the warm welcome. :)

I've found that some of the things that have resulted in making another reservation (niceties like free complete refills of the minibar, drycleaning services, etc.) have either been changed or completely removed. AMEX's rate is currently lower than LHW's but since it's not FHR, there's no real incentives. The Virtuoso option doesn't sound half bad.

offerendum Oct 8, 2013 7:19 am

Originally Posted by TravelConcierge (Post 21572796)
Cons are that there's no pool and have found Ai Fiori underwhelming for lunch, though breakfast was quite good.

The lack of a pool is definitively a con. I had dinner and lunch at Ai Fiori and both was really good, in my eyes one level with Marea. But isīt was March 2012

wripro Oct 8, 2013 12:21 pm

To me the biggest con is the location. That's not where I want to be when I walk out of my hotel.

heronb Nov 13, 2013 3:25 am

Soho luxury?

I'm travelling to NYC next year for the US open tennis and will be staying in Soho, (we like Soho).

On a previous visit we stayed in the Trump Soho which was very nice rooms and bathrooms but would like something a little different this time. Thinking of The Greenwich & Crosby street at the moment but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

vuittonsofstyle Nov 13, 2013 8:42 am

Originally Posted by heronb (Post 21776354)
I'm travelling to NYC next year for the US open tennis and will be staying in Soho, (we like Soho).

On a previous visit we stayed in the Trump Soho which was very nice rooms and bathrooms but would like something a little different this time. Thinking of The Greenwich & Crosby street at the moment but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Both these hotels are excellent. The Greenwich tends to be fully booked these days, but if you can get in, then it is well worth it. Crosby Street is also great, but unlike Greenwich does not have a Spa and food is, perhaps, not quite as memorable as Locande Verde. It depends upon your priorities. Rooms/suites at Crosby Street are superb - lots and lots of light from floor to ceiling windows and individually decorated. Very spacious bathrooms for NYC. Tough choice.

KrazeeJoe Dec 23, 2013 5:24 pm

http://nypost.com/2013/12/09/slick-n...and-furiously/

Good to know there will be many more luxury hotels to choose from in New York City

RichardInSF Dec 23, 2013 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by KrazeeJoe (Post 22018078)
http://nypost.com/2013/12/09/slick-n...and-furiously/

Good to know there will be many more luxury hotels to choose from in New York City

I wouldn't call most of the hotels mentioned in that article "luxury," however.

m.photog Dec 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 22018535)
I wouldn't call most of the hotels mentioned in that article "luxury," however.

I thought the statistics were interesting. Anything that helps meet overall demand should be a help.

LarkSFO Feb 3, 2014 11:35 pm

Well, after considering many options, we've decided on The Plaza for a short three night winter stay.

Through FHR, third night complimentary promotion (many of the hotels mentioned here also have this promotion).

We booked an Edwardian 5th Avenue suite, so we are fine if we do not receive the FHR room upgrade.

Highlight will be The Book of Mormon! Museums, Central Park, and great food are all on the agenda too.

aa213bb Feb 3, 2014 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 22282014)
Well, after considering many options, we've decided on The Plaza for a short three night winter stay.

Through FHR, third night complimentary promotion (many of the hotels mentioned here also have this promotion).

We booked an Edwardian 5th Avenue suite, so we are fine if we do not receive the FHR room upgrade.

Highlight will be The Book of Mormon! Museums, Central Park, and great food are all on the agenda too.

Ooh, what food?

Enjoy the trip!

LarkSFO Feb 4, 2014 12:09 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb (Post 22282077)
Ooh, what food?

Enjoy the trip!

From thin crust NY pizza, to NY bagels, to Jewish deli's, we'll see what we can fit! Breakfast at the Plaza thanks to FHR.

Has anybody tried the Todd English Food Hall? I am sure we will step down there at one point to take a look.

Our kids don't enjoy the rigmarole of fine dining, but my partner and I will head out somewhere nice one night. Where we go will depend on what we feel like that night (and what's available on a Tuesday).

offerendum Feb 4, 2014 1:17 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 22282115)
Where we go will depend on what we feel like that night (and what's available on a Tuesday).

If you don`t book in advance your options will be shortened

LarkSFO Feb 4, 2014 1:30 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 22282311)
If you don`t book in advance your options will be shortened

Yes, tell that to my partner... :)

We'll find something that will make us happy. Hopefully the concierge is a good one.

No Clue Feb 4, 2014 7:00 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 22282115)
From thin crust NY pizza, to NY bagels, to Jewish deli's, we'll see what we can fit! Breakfast at the Plaza thanks to FHR.

Has anybody tried the Todd English Food Hall? I am sure we will step down there at one point to take a look.

Our kids don't enjoy the rigmarole of fine dining, but my partner and I will head out somewhere nice one night. Where we go will depend on what we feel like that night (and what's available on a Tuesday).

I haven't tried the Todd English food hall but we did try several others in the Plaza food court during our December trip. Everything we tried was top notch. Should be a great trip.

RichardInSF Feb 18, 2014 11:27 am

Anyone heard anything about a new hotel called "The Quin?"

http://www.thequinhotel.com/

Entry level rooms are 300 sq ft which seems a bit sad for a new hotel claiming to be luxury.

JessicaO Feb 18, 2014 11:53 am

I did a site inspection of the Quin in November about a week after it opened. The rooms are on the small side, but they didn't feel too tight. This was a total gut job of the building, but they had an old footprint to work with. The issue for me was the views - I didn't like the street-side views looking onto 57th street; I would definitely request a high floor and a location in the back of the building where rooms actually do have a park view.

It is definitely a boutique property but they have all of the right ingredients to be a great luxury option: the sales manager came from Mandarin Orienta, the Duxiana beds are a nice touch, and the design is well thought out. I loved the finishes they chose in the public spaces and in the lobby and they have eye-catching art on display everywhere. It is great option if you plan to spend most of your time out and about the city, but space could be an issue if you wanted to spend a lot of time hanging out in the room or lobby.

The bar/restaurant was not open yet when I was there so I can't comment on that side of things.

I snapped a few quick photos for my own memory, so these aren't great, but might give you a realistic idea of size.
http://flic.kr/p/kdZNYg
http://flic.kr/p/kdZMvg

MikeFromTokyo Feb 18, 2014 12:21 pm

From the looks of it I'll pass on the Quin. It could potentially be an acceptable four star option if the rates are reasonable, but it clearly is not at the level of the city's high-end boutique hotels like The Lowell, The Greenwich, Crosby Street Hotel, and The Mercer.

The Viceroy is another new four star property. Although the rooms look tiny, it seems some have terraces and good natural light. Even the suites (apart from the penthouse) appear to be barely of adequate size. Dr. Dre branded stereo systems are not a good sign... Nevertheless, I suppose the Viceroy could be a good choice if the price is right.

Goodmorning2U Feb 18, 2014 4:24 pm

New York is always a tough choice for us.

I really like the spacious rooms at the Four Seasons (and they do have great service).

But, the Ritz Carlton Central Park has the best views, and a great club lounge. We also got engaged here.

Meanwhile, the Peninsula has the gym and spa I wish the other two properties had.

Usually, I choose on price between RCCP and the Four Seasons. Haven't tried the Peninsula yet...

robyng Feb 19, 2014 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U (Post 22373231)
New York is always a tough choice for us.

I really like the spacious rooms at the Four Seasons (and they do have great service).

But, the Ritz Carlton Central Park has the best views, and a great club lounge. We also got engaged here.

Meanwhile, the Peninsula has the gym and spa I wish the other two properties had.

Usually, I choose on price between RCCP and the Four Seasons. Haven't tried the Peninsula yet...

I too have found New York tough. Because there's no property that is overwhelmingly good considering what it costs. It's pretty much the same when it comes to London or other "high priced spread" cities in Europe IMO.

BTW to RichardInSF - 300 SF is ridiculous IMO for any purported luxury hotel room for anything other than a night or two stay if you're a single attending something like a conference. I have stayed in such tiny "luxury" hotel rooms in the past - and don't find them luxurious at all. Robyn

LarkSFO Feb 21, 2014 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by aa213bb (Post 22282077)
Ooh, what food?

Enjoy the trip!

OK, sadly we never made it to a pizza place nor a Jewish Deli. (Plaza concierge recommended Katz and Carnegie deli's by the way.)

We tried a hot pretzel from a cart, but it was awful and afterwards my partner noticed a costco sized box of pretzels that the guy was serving from. Disappointing.

Bagels: Essa bagel. 3rd avenue between 50th and 51st. Fantastic, wonderful bagels cooked exactly like they should be! Exterior crust nice and hard, with the spongy, doughy, delicious interior. Perfect.

Breakfast at the Palm Court was very impressive. The quality of the items on the buffet was a 9 or 10 out of 10, and the menu items we ordered were equally delicious and perfectly prepared.

Room service at the Plaza also very good. Not as fast as I'd like for some pretty simple orders though. Expensive, of course.

FHR breakfast credit is $80 for a breakfast for two, which is easy to exceed.

Regarding a review of our three night stay at the Plaza in an Edwardian 5th Avenue Suite, I am still thinking about how to share it. I am not sure if The Plaza is shooting for a target demographic that we do not fit, or if it just does not live up to it's reputation and hype. I want to be fair, so I'll think on this some more.

You cannot beat the Plaza's location though.

Frankies Spuntino (570 Hudson) was a wonderful place for 8 of us - 4 children from 8 to 18 - to dine after we enjoyed a chilly, snowball fighting walk along the entire High Line. Great meatballs, beet and avocado salad, roasted vegetables, grilled calamari, pasta, gnocchi, ocean trout, bread, desserts, etc. Very comfortable environment.

We dined at Esca before the show, and also had an excellent dinner here.

Book of Mormon was a lot of fun. Museum of Modern Art a great 3 hour visit.

Central Park buried in 2 feet of snow was a wonder to behold. As soon as they had the paths clear (which was pretty quick) we were able to walk for miles (it felt) along all the pathways. Unforgettable.

All in all, a short great trip to NYC. One of the children may end up in college there (we visited the University during our stay as well), which would give us many excuses to visit!

MikeFromTokyo Feb 22, 2014 2:32 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 22394600)
...Regarding a review of our three night stay at the Plaza in an Edwardian 5th Avenue Suite, I am still thinking about how to share it. I am not sure if The Plaza is shooting for a target demographic that we do not fit, or if it just does not live up to it's reputation and hype. I want to be fair, so I'll think on this some more.

You cannot beat the Plaza's location though.
Central Park buried in 2 feet of snow was a wonder to behold. As soon as they had the paths clear (which was pretty quick) we were able to walk for miles (it felt) along all the pathways. Unforgettable.

All in all, a short great trip to NYC. One of the children may end up in college there (we visited the University during our stay as well), which would give us many excuses to visit!

It sounds like it was a fun trip, I am glad you enjoyed New York. If you like the Plaza's location, there are much better hotels to choose from right nearby. I would second Goodmorning2U's above recommendations of Four Seasons, The Peninsula, and Ritz-Carlton Central Park. I would also suggest the Mandarin Oriental.

robyng Feb 22, 2014 5:27 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 22394600)
OK, sadly we never made it to a pizza place nor a Jewish Deli. (Plaza concierge recommended Katz and Carnegie deli's by the way.)...

FWIW - there's a new generation of Jewish delis in the US. Here's one in NY:

http://www.mileenddeli.com/

Regarding a review of our three night stay at the Plaza in an Edwardian 5th Avenue Suite, I am still thinking about how to share it. I am not sure if The Plaza is shooting for a target demographic that we do not fit, or if it just does not live up to it's reputation and hype. I want to be fair, so I'll think on this some more....
We stayed at the Plaza once - pre-renovation - and thought the latter. The renovations of the public areas look nice (we took a look see during a trip) - but attract too many gawkers IMO (including us :D). Robyn

LarkSFO Feb 22, 2014 9:45 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 22395272)
It sounds like it was a fun trip, I am glad you enjoyed New York. If you like the Plaza's location, there are much better hotels to choose from right nearby. I would second Goodmorning2U's above recommendations of Four Seasons, The Peninsula, and Ritz-Carlton Central Park. I would also suggest the Mandarin Oriental.

I did read through this thread before making a decision, and considered the the properties you mention. For a variety of reasons, selected the Plaza this time.

We don't regret staying here. We were able to say 'meet me at the Plaza' to a number of people, which was fun. One of the children is studying the Great Gatsby in school right now, so making that connection to Fitzgerald was neat.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post: The "Food Court" / Todd English Hall underneath the hotel is fantastic! So many excellent choices, all looked very good. We did not have a chance to eat here, but walking through it was impressive.

All this being said, RCCP will likely host our next visit.

ABG Feb 22, 2014 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by robyng (Post 22395668)
FWIW - there's a new generation of Jewish delis in the US. Here's one in NY:

http://www.mileenddeli.com/

Not sure what is new generation about taking 100 years of Montreal food culture and dishing it up for hipsters.

hairpeace Feb 22, 2014 4:53 pm

Complaint about the Conrad New York:

Nobody ever checks the [email protected] email address that the hotel gives out.

Special occasion notation went completely unrecognized on a recent visit, and on other visits routine requests went unanswered. :mad:

LarkSFO Feb 24, 2014 9:55 pm

The Plaza.

Many of you will say: 'We told you so.' And, of course, you would be right. :)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22411346-post153.html

robyng Feb 25, 2014 5:24 am

Originally Posted by ABG (Post 22398056)
Not sure what is new generation about taking 100 years of Montreal food culture and dishing it up for hipsters.

Perhaps the ages of the people who are running the restaurants ;)? Robyn

heronb Feb 28, 2014 6:10 am

For an upcoming trip in september I'm finding it difficult to see past Trump SoHo. We stayed the last time we were in the city and I was impressed with the room size and comfort.
I have admired Crosby Street but the lack of a tub in the rooms is a problem, The Greenwich would be nice although the location is not ideal.
I'm beginnning to consider places uptown and possibly the MO as I'm a fan (no pun intended) and also the Mark, Surrey and the list expands!

The considerations are pretty straightforward with room size and comfort being top, location next. Service is always important but I dont like to feel coddled.

beta1607 Feb 28, 2014 9:24 am

I was very, very pleased with The Mark. Best hotel shower I have ever experienced and a tub that I could stretch out in, and I'm over six feet tall. I found the location to be excellent for shopping, museums and of course visiting Central Park. Breakfast through both in-room dining and at the restaurant were terrific. Concierges were Clef d'or, front door staff were amazing and bartenders were also very good.

I booked a Seventy-Seven Kings room but was upgraded to a massive suite with a kitchen and powder room.

vuittonsofstyle Feb 28, 2014 10:02 am

Originally Posted by heronb (Post 22434794)
For an upcoming trip in september I'm finding it difficult to see past Trump SoHo. We stayed the last time we were in the city and I was impressed with the room size and comfort.
I have admired Crosby Street but the lack of a tub in the rooms is a problem, The Greenwich would be nice although the location is not ideal.
I'm beginnning to consider places uptown and possibly the MO as I'm a fan (no pun intended) and also the Mark, Surrey and the list expands!

The considerations are pretty straightforward with room size and comfort being top, location next. Service is always important but I dont like to feel coddled.

Very few rooms at Crosby Street don't have a tub. You need to ask when you book. MO is excellent these days.

offerendum Mar 1, 2014 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 22436143)
MO is excellent these days.

Absolutely