FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

Ericka Feb 26, 2016 2:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We've decided on the St. Regis in the spirit of trying something new. They have early/late check in/out as a Virtuoso amenity. We'll see if they come through with it.

Regarding the UES, yes we do like that area and had a great stay at the Surrey. But we are trying to be a few blocks from our friends who are staying at the Park Hyatt.

FlyerEC Feb 26, 2016 3:28 pm

Has anyone stayed at The Mark or MO lately ?
Haven't been back to both since the renovations .

How about the Surrey & Carlyle these days ?

May split my stay at 2 , possibly 3 .

( My NYC friends are rather " polarized - you are staying where ?! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ", either UES or W .. & " You are not staying with us ? :( " )

Thanks much .

stimpy Feb 26, 2016 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ericka (Post 26249246)
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We've decided on the St. Regis in the spirit of trying something new. They have early/late check in/out as a Virtuoso amenity. We'll see if they come through with it.

Regarding early check in, note that Starwood Platinum members are often in the suites via upgrades and they all get 4pm guaranteed check out. That means that many times you cannot actually get an early check in to your suite unless you are lucky. If you do plan on arriving early, you can let them know that you would accept a standard room to use while you are waiting for your suite.

EkekoBWI Jun 19, 2016 11:26 pm

NYC Long Weekend Suggestions?

Looking for some advice ahead of a getaway long weekend in NYC. I'm Starwood Gold, but want to burn 225k Chase points to cover the 4-night stay on Manhattan--even if this is not the ideal redemption, I have no other use for those points.

We prefer modern to classic and quiet to city buzz. Liked theWit Hotel in Chicago, if that helps. OTOH, St Regis would not be our thing.

TIA!

FlyerEC Jun 20, 2016 1:28 am

Did SEA ( SeaTac ) to JFK a couple weeks ago .
Try stay at The Mark :-:
Loved it , the room / suites renovations are refreshing .. Plus .. ;)
Didn't have time to check out the penthouse suite :cool: :cool:. You should if unoccupied , since staying may not be practical

Valveking Jun 20, 2016 1:53 am

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI (Post 26802822)
Looking for some advice ahead of a getaway long weekend in NYC. I'm Starwood Gold, but want to burn 225k Chase points to cover the 4-night stay on Manhattan--even if this is not the ideal redemption, I have no other use for those points.

We prefer modern to classic and quiet to city buzz. Liked theWit Hotel in Chicago, if that helps. OTOH, St Regis would not be our thing.

TIA!

What about using those Chase points at the Park Hyatt?

pricesquire Jun 20, 2016 10:49 am

Use those points for AIR!!

EkekoBWI Jun 20, 2016 11:39 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 26804929)
Use those points for AIR!!

I normally would--and that was the original plan--but I'm air miles rich (c/o 100k AA Exec CCs + MS) and hotel points poor, having just depleted my Hilton points and Starwood points.

view Jun 20, 2016 1:00 pm

Any experience from The Knickerbocker? Besides a Times Square location (not a good thing) its Virtuoso benefits seem pretty good considering the rates are among the lowest of any NYC Virtuoso property. Or perhaps that is telling for the quality?

surftb15 Jun 20, 2016 1:52 pm

I actually liked the Knickerbocker. I cant justify $500 night in NYC (used to live there) so Knickerbocker has been a good choice for me. The only thing is the rooms are smaller then any other hotel, but its NYC, so you shouldnt spend too much time in the room anyway.

Location is all a matter of opinion, but the hotel is close to subway to get you anywhere.

Also the concierge team has been pretty good.

scented Jun 20, 2016 3:34 pm

Speaking of NYC, what is the consensus on Baccarat here? Successful entry into NYC?

pricesquire Jun 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by scented (Post 26806462)
Speaking of NYC, what is the consensus on Baccarat here? Successful entry into NYC?

I'd say so. I've had nothing but glowing feedback from every client I've put there.

Not sure if it's pertinent, but it's worth noting that every single client I've sent there has been 'on request', meaning: clients come to me knowing that's where they want to stay. Not sure if it's name recognition or just the fact it's new/getting press, but I find that interesting.

As far as the Knickerbocker is concerned, it's a good fit for the right clientele/right inquiry.

FlyerEC Jun 20, 2016 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 26803086)
Did SEA ( SeaTac ) to JFK a couple weeks ago .
Try stay at The Mark :-:
Loved it , the room / suites renovations are refreshing .. Plus .. ;)
Didn't have time to check out the penthouse suite :cool: :cool:. You should if unoccupied , since staying may not be practical

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI (Post 26802822)

TIA!

Which part of Manhattan ? UES is " quiet " , elegant with lovely surrounds & restaurants .
Modern ? Only like W ?

The Mark itself just a stroll from Central Park & has own Jean Georges

HKTraveler Jun 21, 2016 1:31 am

May not qualify as luxurious but recently spent several nights at Hyatt Union Square. Rooms on the top floor, think they are called sky room, are great with floor to ceiling windows, a modern room and unbeatable location. Three subway lines are right next door, e.g. 4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R. Tons of good restaurants within 15 mins walking distance from Eataly, Shake Shack, Eleven Madison Park to Momofuku Ko. Also two large book stores, e.g. Strand and Barnes & Noble, are close by. Whole Foods is next door as well.

5khours Sep 13, 2016 7:41 am

Stayed again at the Wythe in Williamsburg. I like this place better every time I stay. Service was outstanding. They've eliminated tipping at their restaurant. Really interesting mini-bar selection. And... as I've said, the view of Manhattan from the balconies on the top floor lofts has to be one best cityscapes anywhere.

LM225 Sep 13, 2016 8:29 am

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 27205323)
Stayed again at the Wythe in Williamsburg. I like this place better every time I stay. Service was outstanding. They've eliminated tipping at their restaurant. Really interesting mini-bar selection. And... as I've said, the view of Manhattan from the balconies on the top floor lofts has to be one best cityscapes anywhere.

Interesting, thanks for sharing this. Have you stayed in any of the other (non-loft) room types? Looks like the highest room type available for some dates I'm thinking about is the Manhattan View King Room.

Kagehitokiri Sep 13, 2016 9:18 am

you contacted hotel? they no longer book 4 lofts online
pages for lofts say "Please call 718-460-8000 to book."
seems like south lofts have longer windows on one side

unfortunate that corner rooms are only on floors 2-5

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 27224371)
I've stayed in some of the other rooms also, and they all seemed nice. You should probably try for a room high enough to have a view of Manhattan.

sounds like asking for highest view available near/at checkin

Annalisa12 Sep 17, 2016 5:43 am

Is the NYC Plaza really worth it?

5khours Sep 17, 2016 6:16 am

Originally Posted by LM225 (Post 27205577)
Interesting, thanks for sharing this. Have you stayed in any of the other (non-loft) room types? Looks like the highest room type available for some dates I'm thinking about is the Manhattan View King Room.

I've stayed in some of the other rooms also, and they all seemed nice. You should probably try for a room high enough to have a view of Manhattan.

scubadu Sep 17, 2016 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 27224289)

I guess you have to define what "worth" means to you. Certainly, The Plaza has a historic past and many (particularly tourists) equate it with the quintessential NYC experience.

As someone who enjoys visiting NYC (sometimes 1 or 2x per year), The Plaza likely would not even make a top 20 list of places that I would choose to stay.

Part of the reason is it's just too stuffy/old world/gold stuff every where for my tastes. Of course, other people eat that stuff up.

You have to define what experience you are looking for and then what you are willing to pay for it.

Regards

scented Sep 17, 2016 10:56 am

No, no, no! So many better options, even in NYC. They invited me after the renovation and I fled the scene after a night.

pricesquire Sep 17, 2016 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by scented (Post 27225237)
No, no, no! So many better options, even in NYC. They invited me after the renovation and I fled the scene after a night.

While I'd agree that there may be 'better' options in the city, I think the Plaza did a fabulous job with the refurb. Was just in the Jr Suite and it was so well apportioned, great interior and aesthetic.

I actually don't prefer Midtown, which is the main reason I'd shun the Plaza ;)

I also think the Plaza is just one of those hotels you 'have' to see once in your life time, especially as a hotel junkie!

CanuckFlyHigh Sep 17, 2016 12:44 pm

I checked out of the Plaza after one night (of a 4 night reso), not because the hotel wasn't special, but because the area is pretty boring, especially at night. I am in my mid-30's, and wanted to stay there once to live out my 'Home Alone 2' fantasy. There are so many better "real new york" neighborhoods. I ended up going to the Ludlow hotel in the LES for the remainder of my stay, and had a fantastic time.

Annalisa12 Sep 18, 2016 1:56 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 27224591)
I guess you have to define what "worth" means to you. Certainly, The Plaza has a historic past and many (particularly tourists) equate it with the quintessential NYC experience.

As someone who enjoys visiting NYC (sometimes 1 or 2x per year), The Plaza likely would not even make a top 20 list of places that I would choose to stay.

Part of the reason is it's just too stuffy/old world/gold stuff every where for my tastes. Of course, other people eat that stuff up.

You have to define what experience you are looking for and then what you are willing to pay for it.

Regards

I guess I wanted to know do you get value for $1000 a night.

I do like the old world look. I'd rather something different than the modern chrome and gloss of so many hotels.

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh (Post 27225641)
I checked out of the Plaza after one night (of a 4 night reso), not because the hotel wasn't special, but because the area is pretty boring, especially at night. I am in my mid-30's, and wanted to stay there once to live out my 'Home Alone 2' fantasy. There are so many better "real new york" neighborhoods. I ended up going to the Ludlow hotel in the LES for the remainder of my stay, and had a fantastic time.

My husband loves going out at night to bars and various eateries. He also loves to people watch. He wouldn't like if it was a boring area.

FlyerEC Sep 18, 2016 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 27227607)
I guess I wanted to know do you get value for $1000 a night.

I do like the old world look. I'd rather something different than the modern chrome and gloss of so many hotels.

My husband loves going out at night to bars and various eateries. He also loves to people watch. He wouldn't like if it was a boring area.

Perhaps try my combination : MONY by Columbus Circle & The Mark , UES

Rather decent value , husband may like the surroundings for people watching too

Annalisa12 Sep 18, 2016 2:51 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 27227638)
Perhaps try my combination : MONY by Columbus Circle & The Mark , UES

Rather decent value , husband may like the surroundings for people watching too

Never heard of those. I'll look them up now. Thanks.

Just worked out the MONY is the Mandarin Oriental.

I do like the Mark. Very glam. However the Courtyard Suite I like is a bit pricey at approx $1450 dollars and then I have to convert those to Australian Dollars.

I will keep my eye on it. Thank you.

MikeFromTokyo Sep 18, 2016 3:26 am

Absolutely avoid the Plaza.

The St. Regis is the place to have an old world New York hotel experience with every modern convenience. Look into booking with a Virtuoso confirmed upgrade, or with Starwood's preferred partner program "Luxury Priveleges."

Also look at their legacy rates promotion, which easentially is half off of rack rate for suites. Look for possible upgrades.

Be sure to enroll in SPG if you are not already to get a bonanza of points or air miles on your preferred airline.

scented Sep 18, 2016 4:23 am

A lot happening Downtown as well, grew fond of many areas there. Barney's just returned and Four Seasons NY Downtown, a Silverstein property, is opening any minute now. I'm inclined to try on my next visit. Thomas C, who did a very good job at FS London, was promoted and is now opening hotel manager there -- I hope it will be special.

Annalisa12 Sep 19, 2016 2:03 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 27227783)
Absolutely avoid the Plaza.

The St. Regis is the place to have an old world New York hotel experience with every modern convenience. Look into booking with a Virtuoso confirmed upgrade, or with Starwood's preferred partner program "Luxury Priveleges."

Also look at their legacy rates promotion, which easentially is half off of rack rate for suites. Look for possible upgrades.

Be sure to enroll in SPG if you are not already to get a bonanza of points or air miles on your preferred airline.

I gather it is similar to the Singapore St Regis. Had a fabulous suite there and loved it. Legacy rates? Not heard of that. I would indeed like half off rack rate for speciality suites.

Off to investigate more. Thanks.

Just check the legacy rates. Not exactly half off. Astor suite $1650US a night... or book under the legacy rates and the room rate is US$2499.

Too expensive.

I did love the look of their rooms. The Astor suite pic looked better than some of the higher Suites such as Madison suite. Maybe it is just the pic they chose. I assume so because to me the bigger the price the better the hotel.

MikeFromTokyo Sep 19, 2016 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 27231795)
Off to investigate more. Thanks.

Just check the legacy rates. Not exactly half off. Astor suite $1650US a night... or book under the legacy rates and the room rate is US$2499.

Too expensive.

I did love the look of their rooms. The Astor suite pic looked better than some of the higher Suites such as Madison suite. Maybe it is just the pic they chose. I assume so because to me the bigger the price the better the hotel.

You can have a confirmed upgrade to an Astor suite for the rate of a Grand Luxe Room if you book through a Virtuoso agent!

BTW, the legacy rate plan is rack rate for every second night, and $4 per night for every other night, so it is essentially half of the rack rate on average throughout the stay.

But, the V confirmed upgrade to Astor Suite is the way to go, should be around $1,000/night give or take:)

Ericka Sep 19, 2016 3:26 am

We had a great stay at the St. Regis in July. Booked with a virtuoso agent for the confirmed upgrade to an Astor Suite. Then upgraded further on arrival. Phenomenal room! Wonderful butler service. Nice walking distance to park, restaurants and shopping. If you like old world style, I highly recommend it.

Goodmorning2U Sep 20, 2016 6:42 am

The St. Regis is in many ways an excellent hotel, especially its new gym and renovated rooms, but they really should have a spa. At the moment, they send everyone over to the Peninsula which can't be good for their business.

Sean321 Sep 20, 2016 11:58 pm

The Nomad Hotel
Refinery Hotel
The Greenwich Hotel
These are the best and my favorite hotel in NYC. I am a big lover of NYC and I visited there many of the times. This city is best for the travelers.

5khours Sep 21, 2016 7:07 am

Just stayed at the recently opened William Vale in Brooklyn. Too lazy to write a complete review, but....

Good
Great views
Big outdoor balconies on the rooms
Lighting switches/outlets
Frette linen/ L'Occitaine amenities
Pool
Roof top bar restaurant

Bad
Rooms (even the suites) are small
Service is very spotty (may just be opening pains)

the_outcast Sep 26, 2016 8:49 am

I'm looking for advice / recommendations for a good Christmas hotel in New York. I know it's early to be talking about Christmas but I like to book in advance!

I have stayed in the full gamut of lodgings in New York, from hostels on the edge of Harlem to the Ritz, Peninsula and Surrey (my favourite). Looking for something that should be very seasonal and ideally does a good Christmas lunch / dinner.

I am leaning towards the South Central Park Area but open to others also, like UES or Soho.

I know a lot on here use Virtuoso and others, but I tend to book on Expedia a lot and just pay for the class of room I want. Right now, with my flights included, I can get the MO for about $600 a night.

Anyone have any better suggestions than that?

vuittonsofstyle Sep 26, 2016 11:34 am

Originally Posted by the_outcast (Post 27264954)
I'm looking for advice / recommendations for a good Christmas hotel in New York. I know it's early to be talking about Christmas but I like to book in advance!

I have stayed in the full gamut of lodgings in New York, from hostels on the edge of Harlem to the Ritz, Peninsula and Surrey (my favourite). Looking for something that should be very seasonal and ideally does a good Christmas lunch / dinner.

I am leaning towards the South Central Park Area but open to others also, like UES or Soho.

I know a lot on here use Virtuoso and others, but I tend to book on Expedia a lot and just pay for the class of room I want. Right now, with my flights included, I can get the MO for about $600 a night.

Anyone have any better suggestions than that?

If you like The Surrey, then I would suggest The Greenwich in Tribeca or Crosby Street Hotel in Soho, but if you want a big splashy Christmas with all the trimmings, then MO is probably your best bet.

Kagehitokiri Sep 26, 2016 11:42 am

anyone seen christmas at these recently?
taj/pierre or carlyle (have residences, like MO)
other UES - mark and lowell (both still good?)

new FS lesser location, but pool/etc and condos

interesting at original FS (not seasonal, but new)
press.fourseasons.com/newyork/hotel-news/2016/meals-in-the-sky/

vuittonsofstyle Sep 27, 2016 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 27265808)
anyone seen christmas at these recently?
taj/pierre or carlyle (have residences, like MO)
other UES - mark and lowell (both still good?)

new FS lesser location, but pool/etc and condos

interesting at original FS (not seasonal, but new)
press.fourseasons.com/newyork/hotel-news/2016/meals-in-the-sky/

The Pierre is very much over. Food was never good there, either.

The Carlyle is a really good choice for Christmas - great food and a really festive atmosphere.Pity about the rooms/suites

The Lowell is much better these days now that Heiko Kuentsle is back as GM - good option for Christmas in a boutique sized hotel, especially now that they are launching a proper restaurant.

Not keen on The Mark - a bit soulless for me.

offerendum Sep 27, 2016 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by the_outcast (Post 27264954)
I

I know a lot on here use Virtuoso and others, but I tend to book on Expedia a lot and just pay for the class of room I want.

do the same with Virtuoso/ MO Fan Club. Doubt Expedia is cheaper

stimpy Sep 27, 2016 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 27271947)
do the same with Virtuoso/ MO Fan Club. Doubt Expedia is cheaper

Sometimes you might find slightly cheaper rates with Expedia, but you'd lose out on the benefits you'd get with FHR, etc. IME it is almost always worth it to book with FHR.