Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanresorts Thread 2012 (Started by Amanjunkie)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts Thread 2012 (Started by Amanjunkie)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:57 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
Is it possible to visit Aman properties as a guest and walk around the resort with a video camera filming the property and its amenities? Maybe get a guided tour by a member of staff?

If I was a paying guest, I could do this easily. But do I need to be a paying guest? I need the material for my YouTube channel.

For example, some larger resorts have restuarants and boutique shops which the public can come and explore (and basically have access to everything except the rooms), but I am not sure how this works with something as exclusive as Aman.
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Are you serious?
Originally Posted by paul2
Thanks for that FlyerEC and all of your
updates.Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Thanks & you're welcome, I sure did . To cap it all, bumping into AZ at the airport & being on same flight ^

Won't though if we have those coming to walk around, gawk & video!
Shocking - just the mere mention of it .. Thankfully that's not the ilk that normally visits Amans - let alone stay.

Better alert the Amanpuri team next week! ..
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:19 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Yes, very serious. I aim to travel the world and film all the best luxury hotel resorts and upload them to my YouTube account. Why would I not be serious?

If I can do this without actually paying then all the better.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to visit Aman and stay at their resorts, but if I am in Phuket and wanted to use Amanpuri's restuarant, then why not film the resort before and after I eat?
Why don't you do what anyone claiming to be a journalist would do and contact the hotel general manager or public relations officer (if there is one) and ask permission to film the property. @:-) They might agree sometimes if you demonstrate how it would benefit them. @:-)
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:17 am

Yes, very serious. I aim to travel the world and film all the best luxury hotel resorts and upload them to my YouTube account. Why would I not be serious?

If I can do this without actually paying then all the better.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to visit Aman and stay at their resorts, but if I am in Phuket and wanted to use Amanpuri's restuarant, then why not film the resort before and after I eat?

Well do let us know ( when you next visit ANY Amanresort ) exactly when and which one you will be at ...a good lead time heads up would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Are you guys really taking him half seriously? He is trying to mock and you are leading him on further....
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:50 am

Please dont endorse this kind of thing, this is what some other resort / hotel companies do to copy ideas etc. for their own resorts. Absolutely forbidden!! I am sure though that the staff in any Amanresort will not allow this.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:30 am

Heavens! Just caught up with this thread. This is why social media gets a bad name - everyone who has a blog or a YouTube account these days now pretends to be a bona fide critic!

If I were Aman, I would chase anyone with a video camera off property, which is probably what they will do!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:58 am

High praise from The Gallivanters Guide for Amangiri:

"....Neither of us want to leave..."
https://twitter.com/#!/Gallivanters/...57187431120897

"...The quality of everything is astounding...."
https://twitter.com/#!/Gallivanters/...58378542161920
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

giri >

UA LAX-SGU i wonder when this started... i guess wikipedia isnt the best
DL SLC-SGU
US PHX-FLG
- closer than LAS/PHX
- can be single ticket
- i would assume more reliable than ZK

although confused that gallivanters says this for drives - 3.5 hours SGU and 4.5 hours LAS
FLG and PHX = ?

late 2010 >
drives - LAS $650 OW PHX $700 OW + 10% service
air charter from $3K OW

May 17, 10 2010 >
Originally Posted by gemmablond
Amangiri...flew in/out of SGU

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 28, 2012 at 4:07 pm
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2 more convenient travel ^

https://twitter.com/#!/Gallivanters/...36481836613633
New twice weekly flights by Druk Air & Bhutan Airlines between Amankora's Paro and Bumthang lodges now makes staying at all lodges simple.
i presume thimphu is reopened?

https://twitter.com/#!/Gallivanters/...35703721918466
From 25th March Montenegro Airlines has direct flights London to Tivat Airport – 30 mins by car from Aman Sveti Stefan – every Wed & Sun.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 8, 2012 at 11:48 am
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:55 am

Don't understand the logic at all behind Amankora. Why would want each lodge so far away? Is it one resort or 5?

If I went to Amanpuri, I would expect everything onsite. I wouldn't want to fly from my room to the restaurant.

No wonder Amankora struggles to reach 50% occupancy, even during peak periods. It really is off the beaten path, with an illogical design.

If I was Zecha, I would sell off the Bhutan properties, and put the money towards capturing SS ninh van bay and SS zighy bay and turn them into Aman brands.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Don't understand the logic at all behind Amankora. Why would want each lodge so far away? Is it one resort or 5?

If I went to Amanpuri, I would expect everything onsite. I wouldn't want to fly from my room to the restaurant.

No wonder Amankora struggles to reach 50% occupancy, even during peak periods. It really is off the beaten path, with an illogical design.

If I was Zecha, I would sell off the Bhutan properties, and put the money towards capturing SS ninh van bay and SS zighy bay and turn them into Aman brands.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.amanresorts.com/exclusive...w.aspx?id=1988
paro thimphu 2 hours
thimphu punakha 2.5 hours
punakha gangtey 2.5 hours
gangtey bumthang 5 hours
last one is because no trongsa yet
but now you can fly to bumthang and back, instead of driving via gangtey

Originally Posted by bigmerv
Our driver did the drive from Paro to Punakha in 3.5 hours (we said just go for it, and he did!!) and the drive from Paro to Punakha was only about 1 hour
low occupancy and off the beaten path = aman

and vs

Aman should look at the new Anantara resorts opening in 2012, especially the new Xishuangbanna property in Yunnan province, China. All of their new properties are arguably among the best in the Anantara catalogue, whereas I feel Aman has already peaked with not only its beach resorts but also its culture resorts (Sara, Jiwo, Bagh, Kora). The only way forward is to start opening a few safari resorts
why have Aman not ventured into Africa before now...Would love something small on the scale of the Orient-Express properties in the Okavango Delta, Botswana.
I am awaiting an Aman safari resort
amankora / amansara = cultural
awasi / dar ahlam = desert
you can look at those as safaris because they include excursions
and actually no safaris include private excursions like they do

in africa, not only is multi-lodge pretty much standard, aman is going to have 7 in gabon

you cant compare a beach resort (amanpuri) with a safari style property (amankora)

safari are also low occupancy and off the beaten path, often requiring plane direct to property

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 9, 2012 at 10:11 am
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:13 pm

Are you seriously comparing Six Senses resorts with Aman resorts? Those two are so different concepts and so far away from each other! Six senses is all about nature and natural feeling without any design elements and warmth.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:15 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BaumeMercier
Are you seriously comparing Six Senses resorts with Aman resorts? Those two are so different concepts and so far away from each other! Six senses is all about nature and natural feeling without any design elements and warmth.
I fully agree that Six Senses and Aman are two very different concepts.

However, if "warmth" is a criterion, Six Senses in general exceeds Aman. I think that the Six Senses I've been to (Zighy Bay/Yao Noi/Soneva Kiri and soon Con Dao) are in fact much "warmer" than many Amans, which are more about minimalism.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by BaumeMercier
Agreed absolutely !
No comparisons .

They have 3 categories at six senses , I would imagine soneva is their top category . The rest are more in banyan tree territory.

But admittedly I have not stayed at any soneva and have no immediate plans.
Only have stayed at the six senses samui.....and if possible , never again.

Aman , is unique and difficult to copy much less emulate.

Best way to describe Aman may be ..." one of a kind " ??
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
Soneva Kiri and soon Con Dao
cant speak for others, but i would love to hear any thoughts you have re stays

especially beaches, any problems, and if you had beachfront accommodations

(you and someone else reported on zighy, and i recall discussion of yao noi)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.