Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:04 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fishy21

Which restaurant is the one with a formal dress code for breakfast? Looking their website, it seems that only one of the restaurants is open for breakfast?

Thanks.
The Summit Room is the breakfast area for the Valley Wing.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by fishy21
Which restaurant is the one with a formal dress code for breakfast? Looking their website, it seems that only one of the restaurants is open for breakfast?
Formal dress code for breakfast? Seriously?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:44 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin
They are requesting that guests appear in "smart" clothing which is IMO perfectly reasonable:
https://www.shangri-la.com/singapore...e-valley-wing/

Dress codes are common at club lounges in Asia, and I imagine in other parts of the world too (well maybe not in the USA):
Club Lounge?Official Website?The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...el-and-towers/
https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotel...IVEEXPERIENCES
Isochronous likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
Just back from time at Raffles. It's superb.

Modern, yet elegant rooms. Pitch-perfect service.

They're also doing a better job at wrangling the parade of tourists at Long Bar. It felt, dare I say, peaceful.
SojournsOf and reigndrop like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:45 am

This is the code:
Business and smart elegant dress must be observed when enjoying the Valley Wing facilities. Pool, sports and fitness attire, as well as flip flops, plastic footwear and slippers are not permitted at the Summit Room and the Champagne Bar. Additionally for gentlemen, sleeveless shirts are not permitted. Casual clothing will be permitted only on the Valley Wing outside patio after 11 am.

There are tables outside for breakfast, afternoon tea and evening nibbles... they tend to be not as strict if you sit outside especially when you come back from shopping wearing shorts and flip flops.

Last edited by Cyan123; Aug 24, 2019 at 4:54 am
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by francophile
They are requesting that guests appear in "smart" clothing which is IMO perfectly reasonable:
https://www.shangri-la.com/singapore...e-valley-wing/

Dress codes are common at club lounges in Asia, and I imagine in other parts of the world too (well maybe not in the USA):
Club Lounge?Official Website?The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...el-and-towers/
https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotel...IVEEXPERIENCES
I had booked and paid for the best room at a nice (not pure luxury) Kuala Lumpur hotel for a few days but was not allowed to enter the club lounge as I had glittery sandals, not ugly closed in "court shoes".
belsize77 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
agree - ridiculous in this day and age particularly for a lounge where people often expect to run in for quick bite. maybe this works at a Singapore business hotel but doubtful for a resort property in Hawaii or Mexico.

honestly I care 100x more about the food variety and quality, and maybe 10x more about the noise level (kids running rampant) than I do about flip flops and wife beater shirts.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cyan123

This is the code:
Business and smart elegant dress must be observed when enjoying the Valley Wing facilities. Pool, sports and fitness attire, as well as flip flops, plastic footwear and slippers are not permitted at the Summit Room and the Champagne Bar. Additionally for gentlemen, sleeveless shirts are not permitted. Casual clothing will be permitted only on the Valley Wing outside patio after 11 am.

There are tables outside for breakfast, afternoon tea and evening nibbles... they tend to be not as strict if you sit outside especially when you come back from shopping wearing shorts and flip flops.
This is coming from a SL too. What a laugh.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:20 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Cyan123
This is the code:

And I thought the Oriental in Bangkok was pushing it. Clearly, I also won't be staying at or even visiting the SL in Singapore any time soon.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I had booked and paid for the best room at a nice (not pure luxury) Kuala Lumpur hotel for a few days but was not allowed to enter the club lounge as I had glittery sandals, not ugly closed in "court shoes".
Imagine if you had flip flops on! *gasps

Did you check right out or make a big stink?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
The MO Club in KL have changed their dress code, last year flip flops and casual dress was allowed during the day but last week they have now banned flip flops and any open rubber shoes plus other stuff has changed. First afternoon saw 3 people with flip flops in there but they decided to tell me off the second afternoon for rubber flip flops...leather fancy ones passed though. They are also now allowing children (extra cost) at weekends even those running around being noisy.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo

agree - ridiculous in this day and age particularly for a lounge where people often expect to run in for quick bite. maybe this works at a Singapore business hotel but doubtful for a resort property in Hawaii or Mexico.

honestly I care 100x more about the food variety and quality, and maybe 10x more about the noise level (kids running rampant) than I do about flip flops and wife beater shirts.
The only thing ridiculous is that people think its appropriate to dress like a slob in a luxury hotel.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:08 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Isochronous
The only thing ridiculous is that people think its appropriate to dress like a slob in a luxury hotel.
Not dressing up and dressing like a slob leaves quite a bit of more appropriate room in the middle than most care to accept.

Wearing even a nice short sleeve collared shirt, a nice pair of shorts, and sandals is hardly looking like a slob. Heck, if they fit properly, it can be more appropriate and considered better dressed than one wearing an ill-fitting long sleeve shirt and horribly fitting pants. We won't even talk about the shoes that some wear.

I've seen the many men in horribly ill-fitting suits with truly terrible shoes and the many women in quite revealing, often classless outfits that are supposed to qualify as appropriate--and I laugh. That's not appropriate; it's just what they're used to.

Thankfully, more and more luxury hotels are learning.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:54 am

Not dressing up and dressing like a slob leaves quite a bit of more appropriate room in the middle than most care to accept.

Wearing even a nice short sleeve collared shirt, a nice pair of shorts, and sandals is hardly looking like a slob. Heck, if they fit properly, it can be more appropriate and considered better dressed than one wearing an ill-fitting long sleeve shirt and horribly fitting pants. We won't even talk about the shoes that some wear.

I've seen the many men in horribly ill-fitting suits with truly terrible shoes and the many women in quite revealing, often classless outfits that are supposed to qualify as appropriate--and I laugh. That's not appropriate; it's just what they're used to.

Ill-fitting suits are my pet peeve. I've seen many C-Level execs who don't know a properly tailored suit either and it definitely makes them look sloppy.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott

How about those powder blue tuxedoes with a riffled short and red velvet bowtie that some consider black tie! Give me a nicely tailored collared shirt and slacks any time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.