Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by batosai
Does anyone have (or know a source of) guest review photos of the Capella Manor (the Manor is like a villa, above their penthouse/suite) at Capella Club Residences Singapore ?

I can only find some pics on their website. Am curious if there is a review of it somewhere on the net (I have googled everywhere with no success). Specifically the Capella Manor. I managed to find pics and even video of their two smaller Manors (the Contemporary and the Colonial Manor).

Much obliged
Think no photos from our different friends who have stayed . Once we heard that the food there was terrible & expensive with poor inexperienced service team to boot , no welcome / long wait , etc , to be brought to their manors , did not bother to ask them for photos .

Having said that , the ballroom is extremely popular . One of the top wedding venues with numerous wedding banquets , supposedly the place to be seen . The meals there were passable , not sure if worth whatever the hosts had to fork out though .
( the RC is more convenient and arguably , generally , the priciest minimum charge for banquets )
Old Mar 1, 2021, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by jbb
I've only tried the State Room Suite, which is the second lowest price category. They're bigger than the Studios and the Courtyard but are priced lower than the Courtyard because I think they're located in a less desirable wing of the hotel where your wing over-looks public areas as opposed to the tranquil private courtyards. My understanding is that the fit and finish/amenities are the same for these suite categories, so its really about size and location within the building. We liked the State Suite which came with a full-sized living room and the sound-proofing was excellent despite being near the new location of the Long Bar and the main street.

One thing we really didn't like about the Raffles is the welcome/entry experience. Because so many sight-seeing non-residents/tourists try to come into the hotel, they keep the main doors locked (you can open them with a room key) and when you enter the hotel you're more often than not challenged as to your business. It's really an awful welcome back experience for a hotel guest and not at all 5-star. Having to swipe your key card felt like being at the office. Doormen don't open the door and greet you upon return and to be questioned when you walk into the lobby of your own hotel doesn't feel great "Can I help you?" "Where are you going sir/madam?" etc. It's too bad, because being able to return through the lovely main lobby should be one of the highlights of your stay, but by the end we would just use one of their non-descript side entrances to avoid the hassle. I raised it with the hotel manager and he essentially said that they couldn't do anything about it because they try to dissuade tourists from coming in.
The welcome is a no-go but common in tourist hotels who wanna be luxury. "Where are you going" would be returned with a very special answer so that person would surely remember me
Old Jul 27, 2021, 10:27 am

Over the past few months I have done staycations at St Regis, W, Intercontinental (Bugis), and Four Seasons. All stays were one night stays on Saturday nights which is the busy night for hotels as demand is almost entirely staycations due to the strict travel restrictions.

I used a 50k Marriott Free Night at St Regis and used a Suite Night Award that confirmed into the Caroline Astor Suite. As a Titanium member I got free breakfast, 4pm late checkout, and two free drinks from a limited menu at Astor Bar for happy hour. The corner suite is very nice with a good view including Botanic Gardens although hard to see much other than trees. My only minor complaints about the room would be the lack of a dining table and the sofa is kinda small for a 90sqm suite. The decor will certainly be for everyone's taste but I enjoyed it for a staycation. I did not use the pool as it is rather small. F&B options options are quite good as well with a 1star sushi restaurant (inside but not affiliated with the hotel), a good Cantonese restaurant and cocktail bar as well as a decent French restaurant where breakfast is served. Unfortunately the service other than elite treatment is quite poor. I forgot my phone charger and they didn't have any to lend. At breakfast which was ala carte buffet after 45 minutes one of the dishes we had ordered had still not arrived and they offered for us to go to our room and they would send it up as room service which was accepted and then it took another 45 minutes. Although I experienced no queues at check-in/out I did see a longish queue to check-in on Saturday afternoon.

I used 60k points at the W Singapore and used a Suite Night Award that confirmed into a Marvelous Suite. My stay was during a ban on dining in and as a Titanium member I got free breakfast via room service, 4 drink vouchers for happy hour via room service and a 4pm late checkout which required a room change. I was particularly grateful for the late checkout as there is a resort so they were not obligated to give a late checkout as they needed the room for the next night. The suite was very spacious with a huge wraparound balcony with a dining table and cabana and a large separate tub and shower area. The base room we got moved to was more ordinary. The style throughout the property is more contemporary although not particularly distinctive. There is a huge resort like pool with a fun slide. The nearby area in Sentosa Cove was a nice place for a staycation but the location is rather out of the way for most tourists or business travelers. This is not really a luxury property but the location and vibe will certainly appeal to some.

I used an IHG 40k points free night at the IC Bugis. As a platinum non Ambassador I got upgraded to a grand deluxe room and 2pm late checkout. I did not spend as much time in the room but my impression is the grand deluxe and lower category deluxe rooms make fairly efficient use of space with a design that is good blend of modern business hotels and local heritage styles. The pool is not huge but has a decent view. The location is also convenient being connect to mall/MRT interchange. I would classify the Intercontinental as a solid non luxury option.

At the Four Seasons I booked an entry level deluxe room for 430++ SGD via a preferred partner rate. I was given a one category upgrade to a Boulevard room, a 130 SGD credit, option of restaurant or room service breakfast, and a 2pm late checkout. At 49sqm the deluxe/boulevard rooms have a loveseat, dining table, two sinks and separate bath/shower which is an efficient use of space while not feeling cramped. I also liked the decor of the remodeled room. The boulevard room has a view of little known Orchard Boulevard which runs parallel to the famous Orchard Road. Unless the entry level room looked into another building I don't think I would pay anything for this view. I used the hotel credit for drinks at the new garden extension of One-Ninety bar/restaurant which was nice although rather empty on a Saturday night. Service was overall very good as expected.

The clearest comparison is Four Seasons versus St Regis as they are comparable properties in similar locations a few minutes from the business of Orchard. For non Marriott elites I would think Four Seasons is the clear choice due to much much better service while it would be a more complicated decision for Marriott elites. The IC Bugis and W are much less comparable and would be solid choices if the location/vibe appeal to you.
Alawyer, Boraxo, FlyerEC and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:11 pm
dvd

Hi,

looking for a recommendation for a nice 5* hotel in Singapore. I've read through the thread but didn't really come to a conclusion yet.

Ideally looking for something like the Rosewood in HK:

- Luxurious, but not old fashioned, no pomp
- Recently opened or renovated
- Really great breakfast
- Outstanding service
- Nice pool with a view, don't need a massive pool landscape, though
- Ideally a gym with a view
- (Not located on Sentosa, just for clarification )

Would be very grateful for your suggestions!

(BTW, just realized that this was a review for the Rosewood in HK as it ticks all of those boxes above. Best stay in a long time).
Old Aug 19, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Probably Raffles.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 9:52 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by dvd
Hi,

looking for a recommendation for a nice 5* hotel in Singapore. I've read through the thread but didn't really come to a conclusion yet.

- Really great breakfast
- Outstanding service

(BTW, just realized that this was a review for the Rosewood in HK as it ticks all of those boxes above. Best stay in a long time).
Fullerton Bay would be my choice for what you're looking for (Capella if Sentosa is an option but seemingly not).

Not my most exhaustive review but you'll find some details/pics there:
https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/the-...-hotel-review/

Particularly, the pool is nice. It's not new (but also not old!) but maintenance is pretty good. Was particularly impressed with service throughout, including on returns when I wasn't even staying at the hotel just visiting (and because their concierge team has always been extremely helpful even when I just drop by).
Old Oct 25, 2021, 3:41 am

I recently did a one night staycation at the Shangri-la Rasa Sentosa. While it isn't really a luxury property it is the only beachfront hotel in Singapore so that will certainly appeal to some. I booked a luxury circle rate for 455++ SGD for a deluxe sea view room which was upgraded at time of booking to a pool view room although I preferred the sea view so the hotel was able to change the booking to a panoramic sea view room. The room itself is rather basic with a tub with sea views and a nice balcony with excellent beach/sea views by Singapore standards (there are many container ships/oil refineries in the distance). As part of Singapore's rather strict social distancing measures the beach at Sentosa is currently partitioned with part becoming a private beach for the resort. In this private beach section there are water activities and plenty of sun loungers with F&B service from the beach/pool bar. I'm not entirely sure what the current beach situation is for other resorts but most if not all beach clubs are currently fenced off from the beach. The pool is a decent resort pool and has a dedicated adults only section which is appreciated as there are a lot of kids at the resort.

F&B at the resort is much more family friendly than luxury with prices fairly typical for Singapore. During our stay we had cocktails and coconut juices by the beach, cocktails and dessert via room service as well as dinner and breakfast at the Silver Shell restaurant. I thought most things were fine although not great with efficient but not luxury service. Service was generally friendly although not at all personalized. There are some queues at check-in due to a rather lengthly check-in process because of the covid protocols which require health/travel declarations and booking of facilities which is currently the norm in Singapore.

Overall, few tourists will want to visit a Singapore beach resort especially with the current restrictions but for Singapore based residents this is a decent option given that current travel restrictions eliminate all nearby beach destinations.
francophile likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 1:54 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by dvd
Hi,

- Really great breakfast
- Outstanding service

Given your requirements, I would think the Raffles might be out as it does have a fair bit of "old-fashioned" style in the common areas. That said the rooms are newly renovated, large, modern and top-notch.

Other options I would suggest include the Fullerton Bay (rooftop pool overlooking Marina Bay) and the new Kempinski which might seem less stuffy than the Raffles, though the pool is small. Generally, the Fullerton Bay, Kempinski and Raffles are newer than the Four Seasons, St Regis, Shangri-La and Ritz Carlton.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, *G, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Diamond, SkyTeam ElitePlus, GHA Titanium
Going to Singapore for New Years and I just found a rate for the Fullerton Hotel (not Fullerton Bay) which would ultimately be roughly USD $100 cheaper than the hotel I've already booked (Conrad Centennial.) Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not I should swap them out for each other? From reading this thread, I'm gathering that the Fullerton Hotel might be overhyped...
Old Nov 20, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Seikkyou
Going to Singapore for New Years and I just found a rate for the Fullerton Hotel (not Fullerton Bay) which would ultimately be roughly USD $100 cheaper than the hotel I've already booked (Conrad Centennial.) Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not I should swap them out for each other? From reading this thread, I'm gathering that the Fullerton Hotel might be overhyped...
I've not stayed at the Centennial but I have stayed at both the Fullerton and Fullerton Bay. I'd keep your reservation.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Love the Fullerton - it’s so elegant and makes me feel like I’m living an earlier era (though the rooms are fully updated). Great location too walking distance from the restaurants (if they are open). Can’t speak to the Hilton.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 4:28 pm

Raffles Hotel , Advent 2021

Raffles Singapore

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Raffles Singapore

1 Beach Road Singapore, SG 189673

Raffles Hotel , Advent 2021 (20 Photos)

Raffles Singapore

Preamble

It has been almost 2 years , short by a month , since writing a review .. longest period in recent times since my last flight ( must be more than 60 years ago with no flying or hotel stay when this possibly might have occurred ) !  So rusty that this has taken awhile to put together ..

Route taken to Raffles , arrived by car .. sorry forgot how to re arrange photos

D6BB7AFF-3D44-469B-8312-6C61A2E25D3D.jpeg60098054-FA39-4487-9EAF-CB645E1D20D5.jpegE2FE648F-9130-4F2B-98A2-987EE7883D25.jpegA761717B-F579-4CA9-9825-07E98882DE1D.jpeg

View of the wing where the suite is and Raffles Courtyard enroute to the lobby

Lobby

Was looking forward to the annual huge live traditional CHRISTmas tree in the centre of the lobby but it was not to be . Shipment of all tall trees has been delayed , wonder if the containers will arrive by mid December . Will post photos then .

Instead the lobby area was set up as usual for afternoon tea . One walks past to get to the residents area to the suites .

6F1ECD48-DC0A-4D27-9AB5-739A13C2A787.jpeg981114FD-2A0B-427F-8672-08E6EBC186A7.jpeg

Room

Entry to suite opens to a small living area to the left and a table with the minibar along with TV on the right
F40788B3-4A33-42BB-BB46-DFEACDC1AAF0.jpeg

D0393399-3538-40F2-B847-E2E4480B974D.jpegEB718BAC-7FD9-43DA-82C5-CD0480AA93CE.jpeg

The minibar is like a trunk , nice touch of how it was like to travel especially aeons ago , decently stocked 

C3AB7CFD-A9B3-48DA-8D1C-5DAE6B286C68.jpeg

Bedroom

The bed is very comfortable 

586B363E-FE55-49AD-B722-D3EBC4BE0A32.jpeg4CC52958-596B-4E8D-9C99-6E897DB5C1BA.jpegE1EA6614-ACD8-4C1B-8FE0-A9B966E30C8C.jpeg

Bathroom

A comfortable size but not generous AMANs or MOHK suites

Deep bathtub for a comfortable soak , beyond is the door behind the tub opening to the ' WC ' room

D2014C06-AA12-4904-B079-5FD2C6A89304.jpeg00143A9D-3F65-43B4-928E-6936902A60E6.jpeg643280D9-7EB5-4546-AFD3-13473A506F50.jpeg7E8E9C89-7596-42C9-A4C6-576A2CFBE972.jpeg66491111-CFA8-4FD9-91EE-7387576FF93C.jpeg

Note the bathroom floor tiles 

Service

Every suite has a dedicated butler and this helps . With quite a number of hotel F & B outlets as well as others on site along with those in the area including Raffles City ( Fairmont & Swisshotel  too ) across the street , one is spoilt for choice too where dining , shopping and other attractions distract  / tempt .

Decisions , decisions , decisions .. butler suggestions and thoughts come in handy .

Service throughout was pleasantly attentive .

Dining

As hinted / mentioned above , dining at Raffles is a joy , even though missing some options before this recent renovations .

Some of the meals we had have been posted in Dining Buzz while figuring out how to write here again . Going to take a break to see if this shows up alright and resume the review later .

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33786793-post8331.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33788235-post8334.html

We were in the Lobby Lounge for Festive Afternoon Tea on Sunday . Also the Long Bar , Butchers Block . Popped into non hotel outlets but onsite in the Raffles Arcade area like Singapore Coffee ,  Burger and Lobster57A7E96B-01EB-4095-ABE3-B7235C7FACF6.jpeg3EB3866B-D2E7-4F6D-A1EB-A4720D1CFFE0.jpeg   

The Fairmont and Swisshotel looming above the shopping arcade .. the Long Bar , Butchers Block and Singapore Coffee are located in the wing you catch a glimpse of on the right . As you can well imagine , it can be quite a trek to reach some of the dining options . As an example , Burger and Lobster , is at the far end . The walkways are all al fresco  ..

While the standard of the fare at the hotel are high , the prices are correspondingly so . Perhaps they reflect her iconic status being a Grande Dame . For instance , did not realise that the Festive Afternoon Tea cost the same as the FS 190 CHRISTmas set dinner ! The Four Seasons CHRISTmas tea is also about half it !  That said , the atmosphere at Raffles has a different cheery vibe .

Amenities

2 iPads are provided in the suite . These are quite handy to manage lighting and such .

If one is driving , the covered carpark is ample and provides easy parking .

Classical music is usually played , even in the public washrooms .
These happen to provide respite from the open air walkways being sufficiently air conditioned too .

Do note that because of the current situation , one has to reserve times for swims in the rooftop pool or the gym .

This can be considered a boon as it becomes like your private gym or pool

Raffles Hotel , Advent 2021

Would you like to write a review on the Raffles Singapore?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 9, 2021, 4:06 pm
Community Director Emerita

@FlyerEC, it was a treat to read this and to see the pictures. It looks lovely. It was my never realized dream to stay here. We stayed at some hotels of the same vintage such as E&O Penang and loved the colonial stories. But I had feared that Raffles was now only for casual tourists. Your pictures lead me to rethink it.
Pierre&Cédric and FlyerEC like this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 2:18 pm

Found some patience to continue with The Raffles review .. does anyone know why it keeps scrolling when one is editing or at least trying to edit ⁉️ .. gave up many times trying . Some of what was typed disappeared too !

Very frustrating .. hope to get the review done by mid Advent 🤞🏻, in the meantime , enjoy what has been added / changed or will be added in bits at this rate .
Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:44 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
@FlyerEC, it was a treat to read this and to see the pictures. It looks lovely. It was my never realized dream to stay here. We stayed at some hotels of the same vintage such as E&O Penang and loved the colonial stories. But I had feared that Raffles was now only for casual tourists. Your pictures lead me to rethink it.
I've stayed at both the E&O Penang and the Raffles Singapore. They are on completely different levels, with E&O closer to 4 star while the Raffles is full-on 5-star luxury. I nonetheless enjoyed my stay at the E&O in their modern wing. It's good for the price point. The Raffles is newly renovated, the hard-product (rooms) are large, high quality and top-notch. My service experience at the Raffles was not as pleasant as FlyerEC's experience though. We hated the lobby entrance experience with the locked doors and challenges from staff to suss out whether we were guests or tourists trying to peek in the lobby (as detailed in an above-post) and we found our butler was not particularly pleasant. Ours arrived late for our in-room check-out and didn't seem particularly pleased to be there- her service was perfunctory. We didn't have any lovely interactions with the famed doormen who never seemed to be there when we came in through the front doors (we had to open the doors ourselves 100% of the time). That all said, the Raffles is still a genuine full-luxury property and not just for casual tourists, we just didn't totally love our experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.