Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels Forum "Presidential Suite Lounge" -- All Welcome!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels Forum "Presidential Suite Lounge" -- All Welcome!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:48 am

Stumbled across this article:

FS appears to be close to a project in Tel Aviv.

https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/a...742713,00.html

In Italy, MO to take over Lake Como property:
https://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article101017.html
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:15 pm
Community Director Emerita

Hyatt and Small Luxury Hotels of the World are forming a partnership. For those of us with Hyatt points, this could be very interesting.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/hya...oyalty-programHyatt Hotels is adding Small Luxury Hotels of the World to its rewards portfolio, meaning you’ll soon be able to earn and redeem World of Hyatt points when staying at more than 500 properties under the SLH umbrella.Both brands say the tie-up of rewards programs will go into effect by “the end of the year.”
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:23 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Hyatt and Small Luxury Hotels of the World are forming a partnership. For those of us with Hyatt points, this could be very interesting.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/hya...oyalty-programHyatt Hotels is adding Small Luxury Hotels of the World to its rewards portfolio, meaning you’ll soon be able to earn and redeem World of Hyatt points when staying at more than 500 properties under the SLH umbrella.Both brands say the tie-up of rewards programs will go into effect by “the end of the year.”
For those of us with Chase Ultimate Rewards points, too.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:54 pm

Now both Park Hyatt Vendome and Pavillon de la Reine will be available for Hyatt point redemption^
SanDiego1K and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:56 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Amanpulo is running 4th night free on the Best Available Rate/Virtuoso rate combinable with Virtuoso benefits and amenities, for stays until November 30 (book by August 30). August 10-15 inclusive are blackout dates.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:29 am

Is it just me, or is the luxury forum a little quiet these days? Of course, I've been scarce myself, due to work and family situation the past couple years, but it does seem to not be as much conversation as in the past.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not sure about that? though likely have had busy periods in past 12+ years.
hopefully most former regulars who have long been inactive are doing well

anyone changing which luxury travel options they choose?

i think i did too expensive too early, regret not doing cities/dining earlier.
led to: my travel interests keep narrowing, becoming even more boring

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 5, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

Interesting
I don't feel that I changed, but the luxury hotel market did. And I don't want to overspend, value still has a meaning to me. I initially wanted to visit the Amalfi coast mid-August but 'junior suites' of 45m² selling at 2,800 Eur/night is a no go.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
not sure about that? though likely have had busy periods in past 12+ years.
hopefully most former regulars who have long been inactive are doing well

I agree, certainly hope everyone is doing well. I was more thinking just about the forum participation, I don't really know if everyone is traveling less, I would hope not.

As I said, life has kept me closer to home the past few years. But I think you bring up a good point, that we start getting narrower in our focus, which is natural as we get older and time becomes more valuable. We tend to focus more on things we know we like, which is good and bad I think.

I tend to the same things I've always liked though, I'm a cities and dining kind of person. I'm just more specific in my wants and end up doing the same places.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Interesting
I don't feel that I changed, but the luxury hotel market did. And I don't want to overspend, value still has a meaning to me. I initially wanted to visit the Amalfi coast mid-August but 'junior suites' of 45m² selling at 2,800 Eur/night is a no go.
What changes do you feel happened? I keep to my trusted spots and cities lately, not as plugged in to trends as I used to be, mainly because I don't have time/brain space to keep up.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I still hit the occasional luxury hotel, but lately have been traveling to places that don't have luxury hotels. Places where a Sheraton level hotel is judged by the local market as supreme luxury. And I'm mostly staying in serviced apartments.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:55 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We avoid traveling at all in the summer, mostly because (1) summer has such amazing weather in SoCal, so there’s really no better place to be, and (2) summer rates are almost always exorbitant in most places due to high season mark up and ridiculous demand. We also know that (3) summer is extreme high season in most northern hemisphere locations, which means less service, more crowds, less chance for upgrades, longer wait times, etc. And (4) everyone knows I despise the terribly hot and usually oppressive weather possible in summer high season.

@MacMyDay’s poor summer experience at his favorite Park Hotel Vitznau is emblematic of all the above.

Maybe more of our peers here in the Luxury Forum know the same.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I still hit the occasional luxury hotel, but lately have been traveling to places that don't have luxury hotels. Places where a Sheraton level hotel is judged by the local market as supreme luxury. And I'm mostly staying in serviced apartments.
Interesting. I've kind of gone the opposite, I don't have any desire to go anywhere without a luxury option. Probably because I've spent so much of my life outside and in quite rugged circumstances, coupled with time has become such a premium that convenience is right at the top of my list these days.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We avoid traveling at all in the summer, mostly because (1) summer has such amazing weather in SoCal, so there’s really no better place to be, and (2) summer rates are almost always exorbitant in most places due to high season mark up and ridiculous demand. We also know that (3) summer is extreme high season in most northern hemisphere locations, which means less service, more crowds, less chance for upgrades, longer wait times, etc. And (4) everyone knows I despise the terribly hot and usually oppressive weather possible in summer high season.

@MacMyDay’s poor summer experience at his favorite Park Hotel Vitznau is emblematic of all the above.

Maybe more of our peers here in the Luxury Forum know the same.
All good points. I tend to only travel for sailing in the summer myself. Spring and Fall are when I am on the road for personal enjoyment mostly.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i regret not doing active/exploratory earlier, including in cities, as well as sailing. regret not doing a property i knew, nor returning to another property i did once. wish i knew about aman 20 years ago. doing properties with few rooms (with lucky low occupancy) and top accommodations at properties with regular rooms impacted my view of most luxury.

certain preferences can be very limiting, regardless of what the preference is

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
not as plugged in to trends as I used to be
seems like there is less reason to be, exceptions for many here include villa resorts

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 7, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.