Where are you going next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
FWIW Ett Hem is one of my favorites in the world.

I also love Four Seasons Casa Medina. They upgraded me to a suite in the older building and I can’t remember what it was called, but would love to stay again. Might have been the entry level signature suite. Again it was truly excellent.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by sophialite
FWIW Ett Hem is one of my favorites in the world.

I also love Four Seasons Casa Medina. They upgraded me to a suite in the older building and I can’t remember what it was called, but would love to stay again. Might have been the entry level signature suite. Again it was truly excellent.
Everyone raves about Ett Hem, so I want to see what all the fuss is about. I admit I am skeptical because from looking at photos, I don't see what makes it so amazing, perhaps you could elaborate.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Everyone raves about Ett Hem, so I want to see what all the fuss is about. I admit I am skeptical because from looking at photos, I don't see what makes it so amazing, perhaps you could elaborate.
It's not like a Paris Grand Dame, like the Crillon. If you are expecting something like that, you will be disappointed.

Ett Hem is like what you would want your home to be: Beautifully designed, exceptionally comfortable, and quiet. Want to eat something? Go down to the kitchen or dining room. The cooks will ask you want or what you're feeling, and then they'll make you something. Want to lounge with friends, family, or by yourself? Go to the living room. Want to sit outside (assuming the weather is good)? G outside.

When I stayed there, every detail was paid attention to. Do you smell something good in the hallway? That's because they have a custom scent designed for the hotel.

Now if you're expecting a gigantic underground swimming pool, or a bar where it's "happening," again probably not your place. But a home away from home, if you could afford a luxury castle mansion whose interior is done by Ilse Crawford? Ett Hem.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sophialite
It's not like a Paris Grand Dame, like the Crillon. If you are expecting something like that, you will be disappointed.

Ett Hem is like what you would want your home to be: Beautifully designed, exceptionally comfortable, and quiet. Want to eat something? Go down to the kitchen or dining room. The cooks will ask you want or what you're feeling, and then they'll make you something. Want to lounge with friends, family, or by yourself? Go to the living room. Want to sit outside (assuming the weather is good)? G outside.

When I stayed there, every detail was paid attention to. Do you smell something good in the hallway? That's because they have a custom scent designed for the hotel.

Now if you're expecting a gigantic underground swimming pool, or a bar where it's "happening," again probably not your place. But a home away from home, if you could afford a luxury castle mansion whose interior is done by Ilse Crawford? Ett Hem.
How are the rooms though? I have booked, so I guess I will find out!
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:54 pm

How are the rooms though? I have booked, so I guess I will find out!
Rooms are excellent, although I strongly recommend booking at least a junior suite, and ideally the full suite. Those are the only ones I've stayed in, and I wouldn't stay in a room smaller than the junior suite, which wasn't large in itself.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I've planned through to Oct '20 now (I know, I know), and will likely not go anywhere in Oct/Nov., however, I need suggestions to flesh out a few stops. If you have any insight on the bolded, please do tell:

(I cut out the stops with non-luxury options so as not to "offend" the forum's delicate sensibilities )

Jan
Kyoto (Ritz Carlton & Hoshinoya Ryokan)
Tokyo (Peninsula)
Manila (Peninsula)
Panglao Island (Amorita)
Bangkok (Peninsula)
Luang Prabang (Amantaka)
Chiang Rai (Four Seasons Golden Triangle)
Chiang Mai (Anantara)
Hong Kong (Mandarin Oriental)
Sydney (Shangri-La, questionable!)
Ayers Rock (131 Degrees)

Feb
Melbourne (Park Hyatt)
Auckland (Sky City Grand, hmmm)
Santiago (Ritz-Carlton)
Easter Island (Explora)
Santiago (Ritz-Carlton)
Iguazu Falls (Belmond)
Rio (JW Marriott)
Buzios (Vila d'Este, maybe good?)
Sao Paulo (Palacio Tangara)

March
St. Moritz (TBD Hotel, currently leaning Hotel Kulm...open to ideas)
The Hague (Debating Hotel des Indes [LHW]...playing in an ice hockey tournament in The Hague, seems easiest to just stay there the whole time and no nights in Amsterdam before/after)

May
Nashville (The Hermitage)
Helsinki (Hotel Kamp)
Hong Kong (Considering giving St. Regis a shot, thoughts?)
Singapore (Ritz-Carlton)
Borobudur (Amanjiwo)
Jakarta (RC/FS/MO/Other?)
Komodo (Chartering a boat)
Kuala Lumpur (StR/FS/MO/RC?)

June
Buenos Aires (Alvear Palace)
Bogota (FS Casa Medina)
Bologna (Baglioni)
Guangzhou (RC/FS/Rosewood/PH?)
Helsinki (Hotel Kamp)

July
Tokyo (Ritz-Carlton)
Nagoya (Hilton/Marriott/Other?)
Fukuoka (Grand Hyatt, Other?)
Hong Kong (Pen or Upper House)
St. Tropez (Hotel Byblos)
The Nagoya Marriott is the most convenient if you're coming in by Shinkansen but I find it overpriced for an aging Japanese chain hotel that happens to participate in Bonvoy. The best option among mediocre ones in Nagoya.

Fukuoka. I find the GH to be tired, even, after the rooms refresh and it's gotten a long more expensive too. I would recommend the trendy boutique 'With the Style' hotel.
HKTraveler likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
The Nagoya Marriott is the most convenient if you're coming in by Shinkansen but I find it overpriced for an aging Japanese chain hotel that happens to participate in Bonvoy. The best option among mediocre ones in Nagoya.

Fukuoka. I find the GH to be tired, even, after the rooms refresh and it's gotten a long more expensive too. I would recommend the trendy boutique 'With the Style' hotel.
Yes, will be coming in by train to see the July sumo tournament. Will check out the Fukuoka suggestion, thx!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:12 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, will be coming in by train to see the July sumo tournament. Will check out the Fukuoka suggestion, thx!
I stayed at the Sheraton (which required a taxi ride from the train station) when I did this. It was nothing special but the setting was a bit better than the train station Marriott and available for Bonvoy too now, of course.

There must be a better option in Nashville than the Hermitage, I hated it, staff was very unaccommodating about everything.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:56 am

I haven't stayed but did the research as I was planning a trip earlier. Was going to go with "With the Style" in Fukuoka also

For Nagoya, there really isn't a good choice. Unless you have to spend the night in the city, maybe better off staying at a ryokan in the mountains
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I stayed at the Sheraton (which required a taxi ride from the train station) when I did this. It was nothing special but the setting was a bit better than the train station Marriott and available for Bonvoy too now, of course.

There must be a better option in Nashville than the Hermitage, I hated it, staff was very unaccommodating about everything.
Sheraton in Nagoya? I will re-check, when I did a scan on Kayak, the Marriott was the only Bonvoy property I saw. If we're gonna be mucking about in that tier, I'd prefer to stack Bonvoy pts. What did you hate about the Hermitage? I stayed at the LHW property last time but found it a bit too far from stuff. I have heard nothing but great reviews of The Hermitage and enjoy old timey hotels. Willing to reconsider though.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
I haven't stayed but did the research as I was planning a trip earlier. Was going to go with "With the Style" in Fukuoka also

For Nagoya, there really isn't a good choice. Unless you have to spend the night in the city, maybe better off staying at a ryokan in the mountains
Looks like they haven't loaded rates for July yet (or are sold out), will email them. It's just a short stop in Nagoya, I can deal with slumming it for two nights, I'd prefer to be centrally located to quickly get to/from Sumo and see whatever the sights are in the city.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, QR Privilege Club, HH Gold
Only a couple of places booked relevant to this forum:

Dec: FS Toronto

Apr: FS Singapore
Park Hyatt HCMC
Six Senses Con Dao

May: Banyan Tree Lang Co
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Sheraton in Nagoya? I will re-check, when I did a scan on Kayak, the Marriott was the only Bonvoy property I saw. If we're gonna be mucking about in that tier, I'd prefer to stack Bonvoy pts. What did you hate about the Hermitage? I stayed at the LHW property last time but found it a bit too far from stuff. I have heard nothing but great reviews of The Hermitage and enjoy old timey hotels. Willing to reconsider though.
There's also an older Westin near Nagoya Castle.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
There's also an older Westin near Nagoya Castle.
I searched on Marriott.com and in Nagoya it only shows the Marriott and Four Points out by the airport. After googling, I don't see a proper Sheraton, but the Westin comes up. No idea why it's not coming up on Marriott's website...the Westin looks pretty brutal though.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, Alaska MVP 50, Marriott 100 night, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Hi all, we are going to Udaipur, India in Feb before a wedding in Jaipur (Oberoi) & side trip to Agra. Hitting Maldives (JW) before Udaipur and Muscat, Oman (Al Bustan Palace/Ritz Carlton) after.

Any recommendations on best luxury hotel to stay in Udaipur? Leela? Oberoi? Taj? Others?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.