Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mumum17
responding from Hacienda Altagracia in Costa Rica. Really impressed with this resort. Hard and soft product.
did you meet GM? if still JP Alfonso, ex amangiri, some good comments here

btw re saxon, owner opened his game reserve (and mandela residence) to public
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
did you meet GM? if still JP Alfonso, ex amangiri, some good comments here

btw re saxon, owner opened his game reserve (and mandela residence) to public
Yes, did meet JP. on several occasions
The hard product is one of the best I have experienced and the soft product ranked as one of the best as well. It was my favorite vacation thus far this year (and that says alot as we loved Mukul, St Regis Bahia in PR) and definitely a couple of levels above Amanyara (least favorite out of the group). JP met us on arrival (we took advantage of their private plane, as they have their own airstrip), during our stay, and on departure.

I don't usually write reviews (leave it to the experts ), but here is my short assessment:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post28587689

Last edited by mumum17; Jul 21, 2017 at 7:43 am
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Now that we have confirmed cruising Polynesia in March on Oceania ' s M . S . Marina , will try post photos again .
Hope will not disappear this time .
That is for M . S . Regatta .
Tried posting about cruise in vain , will try again when less jet lagged

July :

Amankila

Aug :

Nusa

Sep :

Wales ?

LON Connaught
Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat ' Saisons , OX , England

Forgot potentially :
Oct

Chiangmai
FS

Penang
E & O
KL
MOKL

Beijing ?

Nov / Dec :

Benesse House , Naoshima

( For art / museum )

Along with returning to RC Kyoto & Nemu which I think was posted up thread

Jan / Feb

Galla / Wella
Tea Trails

Aug / Sep :

Wales

LON
Connaught
Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat ' Saisons , OX , England
Halkin

Forgot potentially :
Oct

Chiangmai

Penang ?
E & O

KL ?
MOKL

Beijing ?

Nov / Dec :

Returning to RC Kyoto & Nemu

Jan / Feb

Galla / Wella
Tea Trails

March
Polynesia M . S . Marina
Papeete
Intercontinental pre & post cruise , no luxury hotel here ??

The Brando ?

NZ Pre & post cruise

Auckland , etcetera
Deciding / working on itinerary

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 10, 2017 at 6:28 pm
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:54 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
March
Polynesia M . S . Marina
Papeete
Intercontinental pre & post cruise , no luxury hotel here ??
I warn you now about the InterContinental Tahiti property. We'd never return. We had a horrible 1 night transit stay on arrival (before heading to the StR BB). The reason everyone picks it is due to it being closer than the LM Tahiti to the airport. We'd stay at the LM next time. There is no luxury hotel in Tahiti...so you're stuck. Unless you care to take the ferry (or or super quick flight) over to Moorea, perhaps, but not particularly convenient.

My TripAdvisor review:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...y_Islands.html

There seem to be plenty of positive reviews...from people who don't get out much, it seems. Rooms poorly maintained, power outages are common, and the air con doesn't work well even with power. Management was non-existent for our stay, and was a disgrace even in response to our stay.

Consider yourself warned!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:08 pm
Original Member

Sunday we fly to Cabo for a week at Las Ventanas al Paraiso. Been looking forward to this respite. Its luxe accolades are sung uniformly so I am tres interested to learn if it is all it's cracked up to be. We're in an oceanview one-bedroom villa with private pool, plus we have booked a beach cabana for most days. Arranged through the Ourisman group which also booked transfers and an afternoon shopping trip.

In September we are leaf peeping in the Eastern Townships of Quebec at Manoir Hovey.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by KatW
Sunday we fly to Cabo for a week at Las Ventanas al Paraiso. Been looking forward to this respite. Its luxe accolades are sung uniformly so I am tres interested to learn if it is all it's cracked up to be. We're in an oceanview one-bedroom villa with private pool, plus we have booked a beach cabana for most days. Arranged through the Ourisman group which also booked transfers and an afternoon shopping trip.

In September we are leaf peeping in the Eastern Townships of Quebec at Manoir Hovey.
Very much looking forward to your review of Las Ventanas! We were this close to booking it for our mini-moon (a term I hate).
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I warn you now about the InterContinental Tahiti property. We'd never return. We had a horrible 1 night transit stay on arrival (before heading to the StR BB). The reason everyone picks it is due to it being closer than the LM Tahiti to the airport. We'd stay at the LM next time. There is no luxury hotel in Tahiti...so you're stuck. Unless you care to take the ferry (or or super quick flight) over to Moorea, perhaps, but not particularly convenient.

My TripAdvisor review:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...y_Islands.html

There seem to be plenty of positive reviews...from people who don't get out much, it seems. Rooms poorly maintained, power outages are common, and the air con doesn't work well even with power. Management was non-existent for our stay, and was a disgrace even in response to our stay.

My goodness
AC. , hmm ..

Thanks once again , bhrubin

Will switch & let my cruisemates know too

Was it around in ' 71 ?
May have stayed then .. I recall staying at one where the balconies were not secure & made moving from room to room easier , unless one fell to the gardens below , short drop

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 10, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:40 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by KatW
Sunday we fly to Cabo for a week at Las Ventanas al Paraiso. Been looking forward to this respite. Its luxe accolades are sung uniformly so I am tres interested to learn if it is all it's cracked up to be. We're in an oceanview one-bedroom villa with private pool, plus we have booked a beach cabana for most days.
We stayed in a suite there many Thanksgivings ago and really enjoyed our stay. Our biggest issues were F/B being occasionally not up to par and outrageously pricey...and the hotel allowing guests to reserve seats by the pool. Your cabana should eliminate the saved seats issue entirely. And I'd like to think the F/B issues were temporary.

My hubby says their spa is one of the most amazing he's ever seen. Up there with Amanjiwo and Montage Laguna Beach.

We've always had in mind to return and stay in the one bedroom villa with private pool, so we envy your stay--and absolutely look forward to hearing how your stay goes. Hope it's fabulous!

(We also enjoyed dinners at Esperanza and especially One&Only Palmilla. My husband also enjoyed his dinners on another trip at the Pedregal Resort. If you decide to get off-property...)
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:50 pm
Original Member

The spa at Esperanza is the best of any I've experienced. Utterly superb.

Our 2015 Pedregal visit, in retrospect, was semi disappointing. Breakfast was grand; dinner fine but not great.

Last edited by KatW; Aug 10, 2017 at 7:58 pm
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:35 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Next weekend:

The Nines, Portland
The Allison Inn & Spa,Willamette Valley (total solar eclipse viewing!)
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:28 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Very much looking forward to your review of Las Ventanas! We were this close to booking it for our mini-moon (a term I hate).
Will do.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:44 am

Sep
- Intercon Osaka

Oct
- Silk Road but nothing luxurious

Nov
- Intercon Osaka
- Sumihei Ryokan
- Hoshinoya Kyoto

Dec
- Shangrila Sydney
- Arajilla Retreat, Lord Howe Island

Feb
- Hotel del Parque, Guayaquil
- MV Origin, Galapagos
- Explora Valle Sagrado
- Belmond Miraflores Park

May
- Shiki Shima Train? Submitted application but who knows if I will get a spot
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Were you in a non-renovated room?

In August 2016 we stayed one night on arrival, and used a room for the day upon departure. I had reserved a renovated room both times and didn't have any issues with maintenance, odors, or power. The service was not great, but it's not a five star hotel - and frankly FP isn't know for service.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:29 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
September - Phuket. Staying at Villa Layan by The Hideaways Club: http://www.thehideawaysclub.com/prop...ic/villa-layan
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wonder if they might add 'brando suite' to IC tahiti/moorea

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Shiki Shima Train? Submitted application but who knows if I will get a spot
nice, good luck

another train: Deluxe Suite A is rear car with window
cruisetrain-sevenstars.com/guest-suite/deluxe-suites/
(can combine with tenkunomori.net - 3 / 5 villas)

interesting belmond has colca canyon property again

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 11, 2017 at 8:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.