Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mumum17
Mateya. The good part is that like DSI said, the vehicles are all private and with only max 4 to a vehicle
4 to a vehicle is not private for parties below 4
5 rooms, seems 3 vehicles - 4 seat, 4 seat, 2 seat
not sure if they book (1) private

Originally Posted by DSI
Tentatively, our next safari is going to be some sort of fly camping/overland safari with ATV or UTV's over Tanzania. I'm not sure how to get it going, but there's supposed to be a French outfit in Tanzania that handles those things.
awesome. perhaps to/from kenya. could combine with singita mobile safari.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Valveking
I am not MacMyDay, but we just returned from FS Florence. I was absolutely blown away by this hotel in every respect. It may have been my favorite city hotel stay.
It's probably the best city hotel I've stayed in as well. Curious, however, as MacMyDay haven't had a great track record with FS.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by hannisen
It's probably the best city hotel I've stayed in as well. Curious, however, as MacMyDay haven't had a great track record with FS.
I think it is the one of the, if not the most, beautiful city hotels I've ever been in. And I can confirm we will definitely be returning...as they gave us a free night due to an issue I don't want to publicly discuss. Out of all the hotels we visited, I would not return to Park Hyatt Mallorca or The Thief, but would return Palazzo Parigi, FS Florence and Sant Francesc; although Florence and Milan, of course, has a lot more to offer than Palma, so I would unlikely return to Sant Francesc anytime soon.

With FS Florence, most of the staff there truly were amazing, but at the same time, even ignoring our wonderful mishap, the concierge was absolutely useless, the Internet was unbearably slow, the pool felt anything but luxurious due to the overcrowding during the day; and we had our worst sleep of the entire trip as the curtains were not blackout and the AC was evidently broken as suddenly in the middle of the night it became unbearable hot, and I say this as someone often happy with that. I had them come the next day to fix it, and they said they did, but it happened again on the second night.

We also thought their Michelin star restaurant was as average as you can get, with nothing at all that felt worth paying for. We had to promptly leave at the end, as the wonderfully kind and charismatic head chef was coming around asking people what they thought, and I did not want to have to lie to him or have an awkward conversation in trying to avoid the subject.

Ultimately, FS is a beautiful hotel, with some excellent stand out staff that saved it for us. I consider myself a logical person, but somehow it's convinced me on an emotional level that it's worth returning to, even though we experienced more cons than pros whilst there. The list of faults was substantial enough to get a free stay, and none of the above was even a consideration in that.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:31 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
With FS Florence, most of the staff there truly were amazing, but at the same time, even ignoring our wonderful mishap, the concierge was absolutely useless, the Internet was unbearably slow, the pool felt anything but luxurious due to the overcrowding during the day; and we had our worst sleep of the entire trip as the curtains were not blackout and the AC was evidently broken as suddenly in the middle of the night it became unbearable hot, and I say this as someone often happy with that. I had them come the next day to fix it, and they said they did, but it happened again on the second night.

We also thought their Michelin star restaurant was as average as you can get, with nothing at all that felt worth paying for. We had to promptly leave at the end, as the wonderfully kind and charismatic head chef was coming around asking people what they thought, and I did not want to have to lie to him or have an awkward conversation in trying to avoid the subject.

Ultimately, FS is a beautiful hotel, with some excellent stand out staff that saved it for us. I consider myself a logical person, but somehow it's convinced me on an emotional level that it's worth returning to, even though we experienced more cons than pros whilst there. The list of faults was substantial enough to get a free stay, and none of the above was even a consideration in that.
Seems like you are more forgiving than me...or even yourself for the FS Florence! I suppose a truly beautiful property can allow for a second try--unless the air con isn't reliable IMO. There actually is a record of consistent complaint about air con at the FS Florence, one of the reasons I'd never try it. That you also experienced the air con problem is testament to their inability to remedy the problem; that they made assurances that they fixed it only to have it reoccur is damning to me. That the FS Florence handled the air con failure for you as well as the StR Washington did for me over Easter (the air con broke...but was fixed...only to break yet again despite assurances) is a terrible sign.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It must have made quite an impression on you to overlook the AC problems and whatever else happened. ^
I'm surprised blackout curtains aren't standard too. Most people couldn't sleep with full sunshine coming in.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
This week:
Park Hyatt Milan
Grand Hotel Tremezzo

End of August:
Waldorf Astoria LA
FS Maui
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
That you also experienced the air con problem is testament to their inability to remedy the problem; that they made assurances that they fixed it only to have it reoccur is damning to me.
Just to clarify, they absolutely did send someone to come fix it, as I was in the room whilst he was working, but it evidently did not work.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I think it is the one of the, if not the most, beautiful city hotels I've ever been in. And I can confirm we will definitely be returning...as they gave us a free night due to an issue I don't want to publicly discuss. Out of all the hotels we visited, I would not return to Park Hyatt Mallorca or The Thief, but would return Palazzo Parigi, FS Florence and Sant Francesc; although Florence and Milan, of course, has a lot more to offer than Palma, so I would unlikely return to Sant Francesc anytime soon.

You must be jinx at FS. I stayed there last year. Love the garden as it's tranquil and serene. No problem with air-con. The property was quite empty during my stay. For internet, need to pay extra for higher speed otherwise the standard internet is very slow. I find the restaurant to be mediocre as well. Nice presentation but tasteless. I think the chef is not around to cook most of the time and his staff doesn't do a good job. They refunded me the cost of the meal after I complained. Room service food was much better actually. Service was good. Didn't use the concierge much except to book a local tour for me.

One thing very annoying was their housekeeping. They always littered my bedside pedestal with stuff like writing pad, alarm clock etc. I stored them away in the cupboard and they will put them all back during turn down.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Ritz Carlton Singapore end of this month

Ritz Carlton Hong Kong in Sep

Goring London and Mandarin Oriental (? ) in London. But subject to change.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:44 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Not sure if they are considered luxury in this forum but
Aug - Conrad Sumai, IC Danang Sun Peninsula & IC Hanoi
Sept - London TBD

I haven't been able to travel for the past six months due to a medical situation. I'm so excited to be going places again!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by myeurocrush
Not sure if they are considered luxury in this forum but
Aug - Conrad Sumai, IC Danang Sun Peninsula & IC Hanoi
Sept - London TBD

I haven't been able to travel for the past six months due to a medical situation. I'm so excited to be going places again!
welcome back to the world of travel!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MacMyDay, did you ask re changing rooms / curtains ? sounds like neither was proactively offered, even if you mentioned curtains beforehand. might be why some properties seem to go overboard on blackout, if their curtains are not the best and they do not have room to hang multiple.

Originally Posted by BENLEE
They refunded me the cost of the meal after I complained. Room service food was much better actually.

housekeeping. They always littered my bedside pedestal with stuff like writing pad, alarm clock etc. I stored them away in the cupboard and they will put them all back during turn down.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
4 to a vehicle is not private for parties below 4
5 rooms, seems 3 vehicles - 4 seat, 4 seat, 2 seat
not sure if they book (1) private
I didn't explain it correctly. Actually, it's one vehicle to each room/villa, with maximum of 4 in each vehicle. So, if 2 persons in a room, then you get a vehicle just for you two.
We are taking our child with us, so it will be the three of us in our own vehicle each day.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if private, not sure why they are unclear on their own website and industry sales & marketing materials. it was on another website that said 3 vehicles (4+4+2) for 5 rooms, but that doesnt account for 3+ in a room, which i see they do publish on their own website. makes zero sense to mention maximum 4 if private. compare to Tswalu and Serian websites which include private, for example.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Fair point.
I can only tell you that they replied to me that we'd get our own vehicle for our suite.
Looking forward to it and will be at the Saxon in Joburg for a couple of days before that.

btw, responding from Hacienda Altagracia in Costa Rica. Really impressed with this resort. Hard and soft product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.