Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report: Park Hyatt Istanbul /Four Seasons at the Bosphorus

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 5:30 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by Earthman
Oh please...
Also,right outside the front gate,you're almost immediately in cafe Istanbul culture too,the PH has no exclusivity on that.
It looks like we're doing 3 nights in IST as a city-stop before giving Silversea a try in the Med. My 2nd trip to IST. First time was the W; forgive me. But I did like the Ws locale and the unique nature of the rooms/patios. And it's in such a nice little sub-neighborhood of Besiktas on the "other side" of the stadium.

Anyway...this thread has been all about FS Bosphorus vs Park Hyatt. And I think that's the choice for us too. The RC seems like a solid business choice, but not vaca. FS Sult is the equivalent of a hotel in Times Square; no thanks.

So....
I lean toward the PH, but I cant help but feel that the call of the water of the FS will be haunting me while Im in the land-locked PH. That being said, what we primarily want to do in IST is wander off Taskim all night, find just the right hole-in-the-wall for dinner, sit in the squares at all hours, drink leisurely and take it all in. The PH seems better suited for such wanderings. Thoughts?
Old May 19, 2012, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
It looks like we're doing 3 nights in IST as a city-stop before giving Silversea a try in the Med. My 2nd trip to IST. First time was the W; forgive me. But I did like the Ws locale and the unique nature of the rooms/patios. And it's in such a nice little sub-neighborhood of Besiktas on the "other side" of the stadium.

Anyway...this thread has been all about FS Bosphorus vs Park Hyatt. And I think that's the choice for us too. The RC seems like a solid business choice, but not vaca. FS Sult is the equivalent of a hotel in Times Square; no thanks.

So....
I lean toward the PH, but I cant help but feel that the call of the water of the FS will be haunting me while Im in the land-locked PH. That being said, what we primarily want to do in IST is wander off Taskim all night, find just the right hole-in-the-wall for dinner, sit in the squares at all hours, drink leisurely and take it all in. The PH seems better suited for such wanderings. Thoughts?
Oops, is that the Grand Hyatt that's nearer to Taksim, not the PH?
Old May 19, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold

So....
I've stayed in that W twice and like it a lot actually,great service and a funky roof bar,it's only a 10 minute walk from the four seasons Bosphorus,so both give you the same local area experience.The rooms at the W are typically funky W style,except more deluxe but last time we were there,the shower flooded the room,which was off putting.
On our 2nd stay there though,we walked up to the four seasons and didn't want to leave.We resolved came to our senses to stay there in future which we did.
Old May 19, 2012, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DrivingRain, i would highly recommend switching if possible >

looks like
- seadream has a bunch of itins
- seabourn spirit has 3 itins with turkey/istanbul in may 2013
x ms europa doesnt have itins (let alone international/english ones) that far east

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 19, 2012 at 7:54 am
Old May 19, 2012, 8:35 am

Had a fantastic stay at the FS Bos last year.

We were upgraded to a Jr Suite, and found the views quite nice -- certainly not the (I'm imagining) stunning views from a full-on palace room, but still very enjoyable.

I found the property in general extremely lovely, fantastic spa, and the perfect bit of tranquility to return to after exploring the city. I could not more highly recommend it ... one of my more favorite stays in the past few years.
Old May 19, 2012, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
DrivingRain, i would highly recommend switching if possible >

looks like
- seadream has a bunch of itins
- seabourn spirit has 3 itins with turkey/istanbul in may 2013
x ms europa doesnt have itins (let alone international/english ones) that far east
Yes, I've seen the mixed reviews out there too; but I just had my closest travel confidant return from a 7 day Med and he said the ship has been righted. I trust him on these things. So I'm giving Silversea a whirl. I've done Seadream many times and Seabourn/Crystal/others itins just didnt match up with my schedule.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what do you think of seadream? casual service is how good / any luxury hotel comparison?

my experience on silversea was laughably bad - seems to me silversea has service training issue, and food i think was due to ship size (with ms europa seemingly immune to size problems)

seabourn i dont recall any real problems, but i still wouldnt recommend it here
for alaska would suggest american safari cruise or residensea (latter incl this summer)
i regret not doing nomade / bora bora cruise

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 19, 2012 at 10:27 am
Old May 19, 2012, 10:48 am

what do you think of seadream? casual service is how good / any luxury hotel comparison?
When I first took Seadream in 2002 it was like a floating five star hotel with an RC club level. Once you get onboard, everything is taken care of. There's not much you need to think about due to its an inclusive nature. the same is true with other lines now too, including Crystal. The cabins had flat screen TVs which were rare at the time, the sqft was far above avg, etc. The room service caviar was free-flowing and of decent-enough quality. The rest of the food was hit or miss, but the misses were never revealing of deep flaws. The quality of the ingredients was strong; the problems that did occur were more about execution. The service was pleasantly personalized. It's been proabably five years since my last cruise with them though. Meanwhile, others have upped their standards and built new ships, etc. So where do they fall out? I'd imagine it's still strong. What matters to us is the sun deck, the spa, the cabin and the food & beverages. If those items meet my expectatons then I'll be fine every time.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:49 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

my experience on silversea was laughably bad - seems to me silversea has service training issue, and food i think was due to ship size (with ms europa seemingly immune to size problems)

seabourn i dont recall any real problems, but i still wouldnt recommend it here
for alaska would suggest american safari cruise or residensea (latter incl this summer)
i regret not doing nomade / bora bora cruise

Seadream is great... however, it is very very casual... we've done their carribean itineraries... they are perfect for that sort of thing... I think, though, for European itineraries, I would stay away from them... their "yacht" is perfect for the swimsuit type... lounging on the Balinese beds is quite nice and they'll arrange the unique experience of sleeping under the stars. One of the highlights is pulling into St. Bart's and having a sunset swim... we really enjoyed the marina as well- jetskis, kayak and swimming off the boat... the food is good, but not as good as Seabourn, in my experience... Service is very solid.. it's a small boat and the crew really get to know you and what you like and when you like it... for instance, I for some odd reason, always wanted a shirley temple after coming back onboard... all it took was me asking for it once for the bar tender to remember that that's my coming back on board drink of choice (don't ask why...) hmm for comparison's sake I guess it reminds me a lot of Goldeneye.. sort of non-traditional luxury... bear in mind the boat is 20 years old, and the cabins aren't really as up to snuff....

We've done Seadream, Seabourn, and Regent.. my favorite experiences have always been with Seadream....

FDW
Old May 19, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RC club level...room service caviar was free-flowing and of decent-enough quality. The rest of the food was hit or miss, but the misses were never revealing of deep flaws. The quality of the ingredients was strong; the problems that did occur were more about execution. The service was pleasantly personalized.
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
food is good, but not as good as Seabourn, in my experience. Service is very solid.

We've done Seadream, Seabourn, and Regent. my favorite experiences have always been with Seadream
any specific hotel comparisons?

sounds like food is just least bad on seadream/seabourn, especially with declines.
but thats not necessarily all that different from luxury resorts discussed here.

europa has best small restaurant, but ususal limited avail >

German chef Dieter Mueller is one of the many chefs on the high seas. The [MS] Europa ... is the home to the new Restaurant Dieter Muller. The 26-seat restaurant will serve Muller's blend of French cuisine influenced by his Baden homeland and Asian and Mediterranean styles. More than just putting his name on it, Muller is on board for 70 days of the year.

Muller became the first award winning chef to open his own gourmet restaurant on board the Europa. After a redesign, while docked in a Hamburg shipyard, the former euro-asian Oriental Restaurant was transformed into the "Restaurant Dieter Mueller...

Muller is one of the most successful German chefs and made gourmet history for 18-years at the luxury hotel and restaurant Schlosshotel Lerbach which has three Michelin stars. He was voted "Chef of the Year" more than 4 times, by the French restaurant guide "Gault Millau" and the German magazine "Der Feinschmecker. Sample menu items include young venison saddle with filled polenta roulade and cardamom sauce; Tandoori pumpkin soup; white tomato jelly, seafood and vegetable; and Burnt Mascarpone cream, berry fruit salad and tonka bean ice cream.
there is also another smaller restaurant called "venezia" which is italian
Old May 19, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Have to respectfully disagree that FS Sultahnamet can be compared to a hotel in Times Square. True, it's close to all the sightseeing musts but it's on a quiet street and inside it's an oasis of calm and superb service.
Old May 19, 2012, 5:50 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

any specific hotel comparisons?

sounds like food is just least bad on seadream/seabourn, especially with declines.
but thats not necessarily all that different from luxury resorts discussed here.

europa has best small restaurant, but ususal limited avail >
Hmm.. specific hotels.. honestly beyond Four seasons, I haven't stayed at many hotels like some of you guys.. still waiting my first Aman opportunity. I think Goldeneye in Jamaica is an amazing special place, but it's not traditional luxury- and that's what I think Seadream is like... I thought the food in Restaurant 2 on Seabourn was quite nice... Seadream did have caviar very frequently (and available on demand if you would like). Honestly, one of the best things I ate on Seadream (which my wife still talks about) is the spaghetti bologonese.. she loved it.. very simple but very well done... oh I guess this is another example of the service... even when it wasn't on the menu, they would ask if we would like the chef to prepare it for us ...

FDW
Old May 19, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
FS Istanbul Bosphorus is great, but IMHO must get room on palace facing bosphorus. I just love looking at that view, but that is me. Like hong kong, I would not stay somewhere without a great water view in Istanbul, but that is my preference. I also like ciragan palace for location and views as grpunds re more expamsive. I plus chose FS first, but would choose ciragan over park Hyatt for the views, and do love the pool and outdoor areas. Much larger pool area and wonderful high end Turkish restaurant, but rooms better at FS and spa also much better.

Regarding ships, other than specialty to Burma ( orient express) and down the nile, have done one seabourn and one silver sea. Preferred seabourn food and wine. Caviar was included - not the best caviar but not bad. Food was much better IMao than silver sea and service was great. Had penthouse room which we liked. We were on odessey.
Old May 23, 2012, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Larkin
FS Istanbul Bosphorus is great, but IMHO must get room on palace facing bosphorus.
The options with a 3 night rate total seem to be as follows:
  • FS Bosphorus Courtyard at $1,900 +taxes, upgrades not a big deal here, plus other FHR benes
  • FS Palace Courtyard at $2,500+, upgrades to Palace Boph ($1,800 per night) plus other FHR benes...only option that has a chance of full Bosph view
  • Park Hyatt Superior Room $600+, no FHR benefits
  • Park Hyatt King Spa Room $1,200+, no FHR benefits

Ultimately we want to be at the FS, but the pricing difference here seems excessive. I dont mind paying a premium to get what we really want....but I am struggling to justify this...

Last edited by DrivingRain; May 23, 2012 at 6:38 am
Old May 23, 2012, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if considering PH, cheapest room at FS works. the FS is one of the best regarded european properties here. dolder grand is another. great service reports, but probably not a coincidence they are new with great pools/spas/etc. FS also has location.

Palace Courtyard...upgrades to Palace Boph
actually jr suite, when i looked

€490 - 33 - superior room
€520 - 67 - courtyard room
€620 - 16 - deluxe room - limited angled view of bosphorus (south wing)
€1300 - 8 - jr suite - limited angled view of bosphorus OR garden (south wing)

(palace)
€650 - 19 - palace courtyard room
€1400 - 10 - palace bosphorus room

kempinski >
€520 park room
€640 superior bosphorus room - angled view of bosphorus

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 23, 2012 at 7:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.