FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Trip report: Park Hyatt Istanbul /Four Seasons at the Bosphorus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1013515-trip-report-park-hyatt-istanbul-four-seasons-bosphorus.html)

Revolution Nov 4, 2009 4:17 am

Trip report: Park Hyatt Istanbul /Four Seasons at the Bosphorus

Just back from a long weekend at the Park Hyatt Istanbul and Four Seasons at the Bosphorus. Here is how our little trip went:

Park Hyatt Istanbul:

I originally booked this non Virtuoso property on whatahotel.com. Whatahotel was offering the following Signature amenities: Early Check in/Late Check out, room upgrade, daily breakfast for 2, complimentary tea and coffee through room service.
However my fantastic TA ( the excellent & very resourceful MarshKing) not only managed to match the Signature deal but with the added benefit of a bottle of wine & 50% on hammam treatment.
For the record before contacting MarshKing I did ask another Virtuoso agent if he could beat the deal I had found and said that there was nothing he could do.Kudos to Marshking who was extremely professional from start to finish
We were warmly greeted by a very friendly Concierge ( 1st desk you actually encounter upon entering the lobby) who took us to the actual check in desk. After completing the check in formalities we were taken to our Spa King room on the 7th floor. We requested a higher floor room since some of them offer glimpse of the Bosphorus in the distance. A 6 pm was granted even without having to ask for it.

The Spa room is absolutely amazing. One of the best rooms I have ever experienced in a city hotel. At 60 sqm it is also very spacious. We were shown all the features of the exquisite bathroom with its private hamman , the medicine cabinet, the drinking water sink and colour therapy. Very impressive . There is a large flat screen TV, an ipod dock and mood lighting everywhere. My only niggle was the bed which is a tad too firm but that is a matter of personal taste .

Service was great, warm and efficient. In room dining was good but not exceptional. Room service breakfast was fine but the all day menu is a bit too international with not a single Turkish fare in sight.
We did not try their restaurant which is a steakhouse ( not in the mood for a steak) but the Nisantasi neighbourhood is full of interesting restaurants.

There is a narrow heated swimming pool surrounded by an open air lounge/restaurant where we had a few drinks one night. Nice atmosphere and contemporary furnishing with lounge music.
Now I have never been of the Park Hyatt chain having only tried their Tokyo property which I really liked but the Istanbul one is a real gem.

Four Seasons Istanbul at the Bosphorus:

My TA booked us a Palace Garden Room with FSPP amenities (upgrade upon arrival if available, daily breakfast, 85 USD lunch credit).

Great doorman who adressed us by name as we were getting out of the taxi. God knows how they manage to do that and no matter how often it happens to me it always leaves me with a childish look on my face .
Check in was friendly but not as personal as the PH and I had to prompt them regarding a possible upgrade that came with the FSPP booking.
The receptionist eventually called a supervisor and after a few minutes advised me that the hotel was very busy and that they could only upgrade us to a Junior Suite in the new wing and on the 2nd night only. I was a bit annoyed at that stage and I declined the offer since we were only staying 2 nights & did not feel like moving rooms.

Our Palace room was perfectly fine & comfortable with the usual perfect FS bed but honestly a bit dull despite its painted ceilings & Turkish touches here and there. It did not give me the impression that I was in an Ottoman palace. Technology wise there was just a flat screen TV, a DVD and a pathetic little radio clock that would not look out of place in a Motel 6.
I mean these days even Hiltons offer basic sound systems with an MP3 player connection in their rooms so how come a brand new FS does not even provide one? Should come as standard in every room in my opinion. Same goes for the lighting with its lack of master switch, dimmers or electronic do not disturb signs. I'm not asking for Peninsula style in room technology but someting more attuned to the 21st century.

Now don’t get me wrong, the FS despite its boring rooms is a wonderful hotel.
The lobby & lobby bar with its orchid arrangements at every corners and great local art displays are stunning.
We actually did not leave the property for 48 hours. We found it very relaxing and it almost feels like a resort with its amazing Bosphorus views from the restaurant and the pool terrace.

We enjoyed long leisurely breakfasts at Aqua which has a very tempting buffet breakfast and great dining too. I’m not a huge fan of buffet breakfasts even when I stay in a FS hotel but here it is a very civilized experience thanks mostly to their incredibly professional & enthusiastic staff. It is all smiles all the time.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay at the FS but if we had to do it again we would book a level entry room or a suite in the Palace wing.

In summary: two great properties the Park Hyatt being the great surprise of our trip. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

speedbird001 Nov 4, 2009 5:52 am

I recently stayed at the new FS and because of the IFC meetings, had to change rooms three times (long story). Two of the rooms I had overlooking the Bosphorous were spectacular. One was a one bedroom suite with floor to ceiliing windows and one was a standard one bedroom deluxe overlooking th Bosphorous and also quite nice. The third was non-descript, overlooking the front parking area--quite frankly not up to FS standards.

But my biggest problem is that they must have used sub-standard sound proofed windows as the sound was a problem. In the suite, I was adjacent to the dining room and starting at 3:00am they began setting up for breakfast. I had the windows opened and closed them and turned on the ac. I could still clearly hear all of the noise.

With the non-descript room overlooking the parking area I had a similar noise problem even with the windows closed.

If you are staying, ask for a Bosphorous view room away from the dining room and conference area. In other words, towards the center of the building.

DrivingRain Nov 4, 2009 6:11 am

Originally Posted by speedbird001 (Post 12764601)
I recentll stayed at the new FS and because of the IFC meetings, had to change rooms three times (long story). Two of the rooms I had overlooking the Bosphorous were spectacular. One was a one bedroom suite with floor to ceiliing windows and one was a standard one bedroom deluxe overlooking th Bosphorous and also quite nice. The third was non-descript, overlooking the front parking area--quite frankly not up to FS standards.

But my biggest problem is that they must have used sub-standard sound proofed windows as the sound was a problem. In the suite, I was adjacent to the dining room and starting at 3:00am they began setting up for breakfast. I had the windows opened and closed them and turned on the ac. I could still clearly hear all of the noise.

With the non-descript room overlooking the parking area I had a similar noise problem even with the windows closed.

If you are staying, ask for a Bosphorous view room away from the dining room and conference area. In other words, towards the center of the building.

That's surprising for a new build. Thanks for the tip.

troyb Nov 4, 2009 6:16 am

Thanks for this. Istanbul is at the top of my places to visit and the Park Hyatt there is at the top of my hotels to visit (especially with my pending Hyatt Diamond status).

Revolution Nov 4, 2009 6:18 am

Did not have any soundproofing problems while we were there but I agree if you have the budget and need something a bit special suites in the Palace are the ONLY way to go.

TrophyCollector Nov 4, 2009 7:50 am

Thanks Revolution. Interesting report. I agree on FS. Don't know Park Hyatt yet. But no view whatsoever from PH, correct?

Kagehitokiri Nov 4, 2009 7:52 am

great report, and comparison. ^

Originally Posted by Revolution (Post 12764352)
I had to prompt them regarding a possible upgrade that came with the FSPP booking.
The receptionist eventually called a supervisor and after a few minutes advised me that the hotel was very busy and that they could only upgrade us to a Junior Suite in the new wing and on the 2nd night only.

OTOH that would have been triple upgrade, and jr suite has "Limited views of the Bosphorus or the garden"
http://www.fourseasons.com/bosphorus...s_summary.html

definitely some interesting upgrade potential. but some rates go up quite a bit on apr 1.

also just noticed you have to go to FS istanbul rates to see the city of magic details, including 5th nt free.

Originally Posted by TrophyCollector (Post 12765146)
no view whatsoever from PH, correct?

Originally Posted by Revolution (Post 12764352)
higher floor room since some of them offer glimpse of the Bosphorus in the distance

executive - "city and Bosphorus views from the rooftop terrace"
presidential - "private terrace offer Bosphorus and city views"

vuittonsofstyle Nov 4, 2009 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Revolution (Post 12764694)
Did not have any soundproofing problems while we were there but I agree if you have the budget and need something a bit special suites in the Palace are the ONLY way to go.

Completely agree - a suite in the Palace is THE option. I did see a suite in one of the new wings, at the top, and this was very pleasant indeed, but nowehere near as nice as a Palace Suite.

Also agree about Park Hyatt - a really special Park Hyatt in terms of design and service, but the food, as you say, is, as usual, not inspired. Park Hyatts, typically, are not good in this area.

wripro Nov 4, 2009 4:04 pm

I stayed at the PH a couple of months ago and totally agree, one of the nicest rooms and bathrooms I've ever stayed in. Service was great and I loved the location with so many restaurants, shops etc within a couple of blocks. Nest trip though I intend to try the FD Bospherus so I appreciate the comparison.

Revolution Nov 5, 2009 12:55 am

Originally Posted by TrophyCollector (Post 12765146)
Thanks Revolution. Interesting report. I agree on FS. Don't know Park Hyatt yet. But no view whatsoever from PH, correct?

I had requested a higher floor room because I had read on FT that some of their rooms had Bosphorus views.
We were on the 7th floor at the front of the building & had distant side views of the Bosphorus and the bridge which looks great at night when illuminated.
Rooms on the other side overlook appartment buildings and the swimming pool. Not quite as attractive though some of them seem to have balconies.
I suppose that the more expensive suites all located on the 8th floor offer Bosphorus views ( but again from quite a distance).
If you want Bosphorus views choose the FS.

Revolution Nov 5, 2009 1:02 am

[QUOTE=Kagehitokiri;12765164]great report, and comparison. ^

OTOH that would have been triple upgrade, and jr suite has "Limited views of the Bosphorus or the garden"
http://www.fourseasons.com/bosphorus...s_summary.html

When I booked I specifically requested if there was a possibility to be upgraded within the Palace wing since I did not want to stay in the new wing.
FS confirmed it to my TA saying it would not be a problem. To be fair they have a really limited number of rooms in the Palace building which makes it more difficult when it comes to upgrades.

TrophyCollector Nov 5, 2009 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Revolution (Post 12770384)
If you want Bosphorus views choose the FS.

Thanks Revolution.

IMHO the best Bosphorus views in Istanbul are from the Conrad (Executive Lounge & Terrace) and The Marmara Pera (Pool Terrace / Roof Bar).

The Marmara cannot be recommended for a stay, but the Conrad is an alternative, especially in winter, when the outside pools & terraces of the Kempinski, Les Ottomans and the FS Bosphorus are not open.

wripro Nov 5, 2009 11:04 am

However, the restaurant at the Marmara (Mekli, I believe?) is outstanding with the most spectacular views and excellent food.

mikeef Nov 5, 2009 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by troyb (Post 12764689)
Thanks for this. Istanbul is at the top of my places to visit and the Park Hyatt there is at the top of my hotels to visit (especially with my pending Hyatt Diamond status).

We loved Istanbul. It's the type of city where you can just wander around and enjoy the sites. Enjoy!

Mike

TrophyCollector Nov 5, 2009 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by wripro (Post 12772877)
However, the restaurant at the Marmara (Mekli, I believe?) is outstanding with the most spectacular views and excellent food.

Mikla Restaurant, Great view!

http://www.themarmarahotels.com/The-...a/eatdrink.asp