Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Actually- in my experiences with IRROPS (unfortunately a little bit too frequent lately- no LH fault- but snow, volcanoes, wind...)- LH has been fantastic.
With the exception of LHrelate and the recent strike, I had nothing but abysmal IRROP handling scenarios chez Lufthansa.

But to be fair, I have to admit that I am flying LH very, very little the last 6 years after they crippled the program and their "new Biz" scam. So while I am still a SEN, I am a really, really bad one who had exactly 0 status miles in 2006 and 2008 .
Old May 7, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
I tried on about ten occasions to get on an earlier flight from LHR to FRA/MUC but was never let on unless I had a flexible ticket. Never missed a flight hence no need to test LH's flexibility the other way ...

Last edited by planestupid; May 7, 2010 at 2:17 pm Reason: typo
Old May 7, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
They once offered it to me when I was about 6 hours too early at the airport and still had work to do but didn't ask to be put on the earlier flight. They offered me the one where the gate would close five minutes later and I had a checked bag. I said sure, I'll do it and everything worked well.

Once I was on board (HAM-MUC), I was wondering, why did they do that? I didn't ask for it and I got the last seat (of course middle seat but I didn't care)

On the taxiway, I heard the pilot talk about runway construction and winds causing problems in HAM and when I landed in MUC, I got a SMS that my later flight was canceled. I had for once believed in a "nice" agent whose primary goal was to do me a favor. Of course I ended up getting an advantage but her main purpose was to get me out of the way

Not complaining this time.
Old May 7, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P
buy an earlier flight instead?

I have a similar question. Bought a dirt cheap one-way ticket BOS-FRA-IST. The layover at FRA is 7 hours (5:55 to 13:05). It looks like from this thread that I won't be able to stand by for an earlier flight. Can I buy another FRA-IST one way (departing at 7:25) and ditch the last segment of the other ticket? If I do that, can I still check in luggage?
Old May 7, 2010, 10:40 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Of course you can check luggage but I doubt you will be able to check it all the way through. Also be aware that different luggage allowances might apply.
Old May 8, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Thanks. I guess I will have to go through immigration in order to re-check bags?
Old May 8, 2010, 10:14 pm

Yes. But this should be pretty easy. No pictures or fingerprinting, no visa for US citizens.
Old May 9, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
1 1/2 hours is doable, but not necessarily a safe bet in FRA. You will have to go through immigration (which normally won't take long) and collect your luggage (which can take a while in FRA), then go upstairs to departures and check-in again. 40 minutes before the flight is the latest check-in time at a check-in counter (if you are in Y) or 30 minutes if you use the check-in machine. Then it's back through security and passport control before you get to your gate. If you know your way around FRA, don't have a delay and are up for some morning sport after a long flight, you should be ok. But if your flight is delayed you might be out of luck... and will have to go through the same procedure just to get your luggage on your original flight.
Old May 11, 2010, 2:21 pm

Experience for non-direct --> direct LH

Hi,

I'm currently looking to ticket an award using UA miles and wondering if any hope that LH would let me stand-by for their more direct flight.

Would ticket (based on award availability):

5:30pm JFK-MUC - LH F (arr. 8:05am +1)
9:55am MUC-FRA - LH J (2 cabin domestic, arr. 11:00am)

1:30pm FRA-BOM - LH F (no change)

Would want to standby for:

4:00pm JFK-FRA - LH F (arr. 5:35am +1)

Does anyone know if LH would allow this? This thread seems to indicate LH is pretty stringent, but assuming there is space in LH F, this only makes things easier for them!

Thanks for any tips!

Last edited by Surgee; May 11, 2010 at 2:54 pm
Old May 11, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by awpeters
Hi,

I'm currently looking to ticket an award using UA miles and wondering if any hope that LH would let me stand-by for their more direct flight.

Would ticket (based on award availability):

5:30pm JFK-MUC - LH F (arr. 8:05am +1)
9:55am MUC-FRA - LH J (2 cabin domestic, arr. 11:00am)

Would want to standby for:

4:00pm JFK-FRA - LH F (arr. 5:35am +1)

Does anyone know if LH would allow this? This thread seems to indicate LH is pretty stringent, but assuming there is space in LH F, this only makes things easier for them!

Thanks for any tips!
Well, you can always ask but you might have to pay a change fee. (40 Euro I believe)

Not sure why you want to do that so? Travel time would be longer (1 hour) unless you want to do something specific in FRA, there is no added value.
The JFK-FRA flight is likely on the B747 (16F seats compared to 8 on the MUC Airbus) and also a 5:30am arrival sucks when you have to hang out 7,5 hours at an airport.
The MUC flight is a smidgen longer, more time to sleep. Also, MUC airport is nice and your time in between the flight is plenty for a good shower in the FCL.
Old May 11, 2010, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Well, you can always ask but you might have to pay a change fee. (40 Euro I believe)

Not sure why you want to do that so? Travel time would be longer (1 hour) unless you want to do something specific in FRA, there is no added value.
The JFK-FRA flight is likely on the B747 (16F seats compared to 8 on the MUC Airbus) and also a 5:30am arrival sucks when you have to hang out 7,5 hours at an airport.
The MUC flight is a smidgen longer, more time to sleep. Also, MUC airport is nice and your time in between the flight is plenty for a good shower in the FCL.
You make very good pts, but given the situation I would prefer direct flights given all the ash issues, and I don't mind a long layover in FRA as I can go relax in the FCT, whereas I currently have a short layover in each MUN and FRA, not giving me much chance to really enjoy either FCL.

Also like to sit up in the bubble on the B747
Old May 12, 2010, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If O class becomes available on the JFK-FRA flight you can change against payment of rebooking fee (40 Euro). Any unsold F seats are likely to be released as award seats a few days before departure, so I would monitor availability closely from 2 weeks before departure; you best chance will be from 7 to 2-3 days before departure.
Old May 12, 2010, 1:52 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SK AAR
If O class becomes available on the JFK-FRA flight you can change against payment of rebooking fee (40 Euro).
The OP is using UA miles, so change fees may be different.

If travelling alone the A340 is much nicer in F especially if the OP can get a window seat.
Old May 12, 2010, 5:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by SK AAR
If O class becomes available on the JFK-FRA flight you can change against payment of rebooking fee (40 Euro). Any unsold F seats are likely to be released as award seats a few days before departure, so I would monitor availability closely from 2 weeks before departure; you best chance will be from 7 to 2-3 days before departure.

UA MP has starnet blocking, so they don't have access to the fresh LH inventory....
But to the original question, LH in JFK might do something, but it highly unlikely they will reissue the UA issued ticket.
Old May 12, 2010, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The OP is using UA miles, so change fees may be different.

If travelling alone the A340 is much nicer in F especially if the OP can get a window seat.
Yes, UA miles, so $150 change fee. Award is not for me, but for middle-aged lady, and the minimal connecting is preferred over the A340, though probably not for $150 fee. Also, as Oliver notes below, UA blocking LH inventory will be a bigger issue, as it was quite lucky to get this LH F segment for June to begin with.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
UA MP has starnet blocking, so they don't have access to the fresh LH inventory....
But to the original question, LH in JFK might do something, but it highly unlikely they will reissue the UA issued ticket.

Thanks all. It will be worth asking at the airport, as an agent in a particularly good mood might allow it, and if not, c'est la vie.

Also, will be worth watching the Ash Cloud waivers. If the flights are going, but a waiver is in effect, LH or UA might allow the free change anyway to minimize chance of a misconnect due to roundabout flight plan on JFK-MUN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.