Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Does LH allow same day standby for earlier flight?

Never mind!!!

Last edited by blueman2; Jul 8, 2009 at 3:04 pm
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
yes, if you pay the change fee + difference in fare
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
More information and opinion in a thread with a similar title just a few inches below...
Old May 6, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Lufthansa stand-by policy?

Hi,

Two quick questions about LH stand-by policy for intra-Europe flights. If I miss my connecting flight, would they put me on next flight for free if space is available or would they charge me the change fee? Also, is it possible to get on an earlier flight if space is available without charge?

Thanks,
Old May 6, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
If you miss your connection because your inbound was late, they will put you on the next available flight for free (no matter if it was tech, weather, whatever)

If you miss your flight because you hit the duty free for too long, I doubt it.

Usually, they are very stiff about early standby, unless you are on a fully flexible A,C,F ticket of course.

Ask nicely, there is always the possibility that they will take you.
Old May 7, 2010, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
If you miss your connection because your inbound was late, they will put you on the next available flight for free (no matter if it was tech, weather, whatever)

If you miss your flight because you hit the duty free for too long, I doubt it.

Usually, they are very stiff about early standby, unless you are on a fully flexible A,C,F ticket of course.

Ask nicely, there is always the possibility that they will take you.
From my experience unless LH messes up is you get no more, no less for what you paid/booked...that's Lufthansa for you!
Old May 7, 2010, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I tried to get on a earlier FRA-HAM flight two weeks ago on a dirt cheap E fare. No dice at the transfer desk or the gate.

There is no standby policy on LH! Unless it will fit LH (i.e. your flight is overbooked) you will not be allowed to change flight on non-flexible fares.
Old May 7, 2010, 2:49 am

Programs: UA Silver
Does not sound so nice.
Old May 7, 2010, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N227UA
Does not sound so nice.
LH is nice- they just want people to buy tickets that fit the fare rules- and as such they don't deviate a lot from them. I had luck exactly one time changing a Z fare to an earlier flight- but I suspect that was because the later flight was oversold. Fully flexible fares can be changed, but watch that with a few of them there is still a change fee (I was burned once on OS by this)!
If you miss a flight because of a late inbound, usually they already have a new boarding pass waiting for you on arrival.
Old May 7, 2010, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
If you miss a flight because of a late inbound, usually they already have a new boarding pass waiting for you on arrival.
Unless it's on another airline then you're usually out of luck.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL

Well, that wasn't my experience at all. I flew LH from FRA to BOS then connecting to US from BOS to DCA.

The LH flight diverted to BDL where we sat for 3 hrs due to fog in BOS. When we finally landed in BOS, of course I'd missed my US flight. Went to the LH ticket counter and was given a boarding pass for the next US flight. Didn't have to say a word and the whole thing took less than 5 mins.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by gtownguy

Well, that wasn't my experience at all. I flew LH from FRA to BOS then connecting to US from BOS to DCA.

The LH flight diverted to BDL where we sat for 3 hrs due to fog in BOS. When we finally landed in BOS, of course I'd missed my US flight. Went to the LH ticket counter and was given a boarding pass for the next US flight. Didn't have to say a word and the whole thing took less than 5 mins.
I guess those flights were booked together?

Obviously if the flights were booked as a connection, they will take care of you (because they have to). If you buy two separate tickets then you are mostly out of luck...
Old May 7, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
LH is nice- they just want people to buy tickets that fit the fare rules- and as such they don't deviate a lot from them..
Of course unless they themselves bungle things, then no excuse is too outlandish and stupid to serve as customer-disservice attempt.

Another reason is that they operate one of the most non-op airports in this galaxy and hence re-tagging luggage - which even the decrepit ports in the US can handle without major disruption - constitutes a major hassle for them. So hiding behind fare rules helps. A lot.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
I guess those flights were booked together?

Obviously if the flights were booked as a connection, they will take care of you (because they have to). If you buy two separate tickets then you are mostly out of luck...

Yes, you are correct - both flights were on one ticket.

Sure, if you buy 2 separate tickets, I doubt many airlines would lift a finger to help you - since they don't have to.
Old May 7, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weero
Of course unless they themselves bungle things, then no excuse is too outlandish and stupid to serve as customer-disservice attempt.
Actually- in my experiences with IRROPS (unfortunately a little bit too frequent lately- no LH fault- but snow, volcanoes, wind...)- LH has been fantastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.