Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2012, 2:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
From my experience it only works if you solve them a problem, i.e. if the later flight is overbooked, the earlier one not and you show up at the airport early. This is the only scenario it ever worked for me.
Old May 5, 2012, 6:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LX in ZRH will not reissue your UA ticket, you can call UA though and for a change fee (or 0 if you have status with UA) you can rebook the ticket.
Old May 5, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by swiss_global
From my experience it only works if you solve them a problem, i.e. if the later flight is overbooked, the earlier one not and you show up at the airport early. This is the only scenario it ever worked for me.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
LX in ZRH will not reissue your UA ticket, you can call UA though and for a change fee (or 0 if you have status with UA) you can rebook the ticket.
Too bad. Was hoping to get around the fact that the direct flight seems to pretty consistently have zero O-class availability. Thanks!
Old May 5, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: TP
Possible if you have bought higher fares like M*, Y*, B*.
Can be done at the quick check-in machine (i've done it from LIS, OPO, FRA and MUC).
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
I see from reading this forum that standby on LH paid ticket is almost surely a no...what about moving to an earlier flight on an award ticket? Specifically an award ticket booked by United or US Airways?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Filler03
I see from reading this forum that standby on LH paid ticket is almost surely a no...what about moving to an earlier flight on an award ticket? Specifically an award ticket booked by United or US Airways?
Even less chance.

The ONLY way it happens if the flight you are booked for is in oversell, you have no checked baggage, the agent you are asking at ticketing checks the booked flight is in oversell (unlikely), and they decide to "accomodate" your request (very well may not).

In Europe it is very very very rare on any airline and LH is especially strict on this point (which I actually agree with them about however here I digress).
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
When is this? If this is during winter and it gets likely that your original flight might be impacted by weather, I have experienced on LH that they were happy "to get you out of the way" and rebook you. Under regular circumstances, it is a if "no"!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
When is this? If this is during winter and it gets likely that your original flight might be impacted by weather, I have experienced on LH that they were happy "to get you out of the way" and rebook you. Under regular circumstances, it is a if "no"!
December 26th, so yea, winter.

Also, the only earlier flight from VIE-MUC is a Lufthansa codeshare on Austrian, does this impact it at all?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
December 26th, so yea, winter.

Also, the only earlier flight from VIE-MUC is a Lufthansa codeshare on Austrian, does this impact it at all?
Makes it less likely.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by paulovalega
Possible if you have bought higher fares like M*, Y*, B*.
Can be done at the quick check-in machine (i've done it from LIS, OPO, FRA and MUC).
I booked M fare through UA on LH flight FRA-LHR in Dec., now want to switch to an earlier flight at FRA. Is this fare considered flexible for LH? It seems UA does not charge me change fee if I change it online, but the fare has increased mostly for other UA segments due to the flight is only 1 week away. Will the LH quick check-in machine give me the option to standby for free, or can I call LH directly to change the flight?

Last edited by presario1626; Nov 28, 2012 at 3:24 am
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by presario1626
I booked M fare through UA on LH flight FRA-LHR in Dec., now want to switch to an earlier flight at FRA. Is this fare considered flexible for LH? I know UA will charge me change fee, so I am hoping for standby. Will the quick check-in machine give me the option to standby for free?
My experience is that if the ticket is on UA ticket stock (016) and not Lufthansa (220) Lufthansa will refer you to the UA ticketing counter with the only exception being in case of IRROPS.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
My experience is that if the ticket is on UA ticket stock (016) and not Lufthansa (220) Lufthansa will refer you to the UA ticketing counter with the only exception being in case of IRROPS.
If I change the flight on united.com now, UA does not charge me change fee , but the fare has increased. If I go to UA ticketing counter, will they change the flight with fare difference, or put me on standby?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by presario1626
If I change the flight on united.com now, UA does not charge me change fee , but the fare has increased. If I go to UA ticketing counter, will they change the flight with fare difference, or put me on standby?
I don't think there is any standby- I will let the experts chime in at this point.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Can you post the exact fare code in which you are ticketed and I can look up the rules. Usually M fares can be rebooked for a fee, and if M is no longer available you can upfare.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Can you post the exact fare code in which you are ticketed and I can look up the rules. Usually M fares can be rebooked for a fee, and if M is no longer available you can upfare.
Not sure where to find the fare code, searched through the reservation on UA website, only see "Fare Class: Economy (M)".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.