Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mavit12
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the UA SDC thread, but my experience yesterday was very surprising to me.

I was flying on a ticket purchased on the UA website (W class), SFO->LHR->MUC, the first leg on UA, second on LH metal. I was originally booked on a later MUC connection (20:15), but the SFO->LHR connection was scheduled to land at 14:00 and so I knew I had a chance to make the 15:30 LH departure to MUC. I thought I would have to pay for it, though, as all experiences I have had trying to get on an earlier flight operated by LH have been completely futile.

Anyways, I arrived at LHR and after going through security in Terminal 1, went straight to the UA counter. (As the ticket was purchased through UA, I assumed they would have to initiate the change.) The agent took my ticket and said I was likely too late, since it was at that point < 1 hr until departure. UA couldn't do anything about it at this point, but I could try to ask LH. He said, he expected I would have to pay if they allowed it all. I thanked him, and went right next door to the LH desk. I handed the LH agent the ticket, explaining what I wanted to check. She also said, it's a bit late and if it would work I would have to pay a change fee as she thought that was necessary on a W fare. She then said, however, that she would simply try. As she was typing away, I saw her face light up with a bit of surprise and the printer began spitting out a new boarding card. She really couldn't believe it and thought I might have problems at the gate, but we both agreed it was worth the try. Long story short, no problems at the gate and I ended up arriving 2.5 hours early.

I am really curious what happened since the ticket class would normally not allow this. When something unexpected happens to my itinerary, I'm usually quite concerned as it can affect later flights if something gets "corrupted", but this was the last flight on the ticket. Anyone have any ideas how this was possible? Did the agent just accidentally brute force the ticket change through? (The resulting board card did list the class as W, not as Y.)

If the following flight is oversold this will happen- congratulations!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: AC
Hey everyone.

Went through most of the pages, but couldnt find anything specific.

i am travelling tomorrow on a I award booking (business) BRU - MUC, then connecting to a First award MUC - YUL. Do you know if in Brussels I will be able to get on the earlier BRU - MUC flight? I searched everywhere I could think of but could not find if an I award is a flexible booking or not.

Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The rules of the FFP you booked the award with will determine what changes will cost you. But I wouldn't try to change it on this short a notice, there is a chance they might mess up your other legs.

Your chances of changing at the airport are slim to none.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
LH can change day of departure - YMMV

YMMV

However, LH agent can switch you to a different flight. It'll help if the routing is the same, award space is available, and no checked bags.

Had a 12 hour layover in CDG on a UA ticket. Couldn't decrease the layover because doing so would result in a stopover on the flight the next day (UA doesn't allow more than 1 stopover). When I got to CDG, went to LH check-in counter and asked to be placed on an earlier flight. Agent printed out boarding pass for earlier flight and even checked to see if there were enough meals and if I had checked bags (which I didn't).
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Your experience at CDG is a very rare exception - maybe your original flight was overbooked?

LH is very strict on adhering to the rules; you will fly as ticketed unless your request for an earlier flight suits LH - and even then it will be an exception if LH accommodates you on an earlier flight. There is no such thing as "standby for earlier flight" on LH (or other European carriers if that matters)
Old Oct 5, 2013, 5:56 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Your experience at CDG is a very rare exception - maybe your original flight was overbooked?

LH is very strict on adhering to the rules; you will fly as ticketed unless your request for an earlier flight suits LH - and even then it will be an exception if LH accommodates you on an earlier flight. There is no such thing as "standby for earlier flight" on LH (or other European carriers if that matters)
This is also my experience
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Change to award ticket / standby for earlier flight?

It was by no means overbooked. Award space was avail in both C and Y on all flights that day. As I prefixed it, YMMV.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:16 am

I just spent a frustrating five hours in Warsaw airport. I had a flight booked at 1.40pm to FRA. Colleague was on the 10am flight same route. Tried to change mine through travel agent, who asked for $500. I thought I'd try the airport, but they also wanted the $500 fee. The flight was half empty, and there were another two flights after the first one that left half empty. I paid > $6,000 for a business class ticket on Lufthansa from the USA to Poland, back through Frankfurt, and am Chairman on US Airways/Star Alliance. I asked the counter staff why I would be flying again with Lufthansa if I could fly on another airline, they were very embarrassed, but had not response but to say that it was 'company policy'.
Wasn't the first rule of business to keep your customer happy?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
No, the first rule of business is to deliver what the customer has paid for. I see absolutely nothing wrong in what they did and I think you're over-entitled.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Exactly... Why is not getting your way always bad customer service. Your ticket obvious came with a change fee or fare class upgrade. You're not willing to pay that fee and somehow that's the airlines problem?

Expecting US airline practices, good or bad, to apply everywhere in the world is a bit ignorant....

Last edited by RTW1; Oct 20, 2013 at 6:46 am
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:52 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ScienceGuy
I just spent a frustrating five hours in Warsaw airport. I had a flight booked at 1.40pm to FRA. Colleague was on the 10am flight same route. Tried to change mine through travel agent, who asked for $500. I thought I'd try the airport, but they also wanted the $500 fee. The flight was half empty, and there were another two flights after the first one that left half empty. I paid > $6,000 for a business class ticket on Lufthansa from the USA to Poland, back through Frankfurt, and am Chairman on US Airways/Star Alliance. I asked the counter staff why I would be flying again with Lufthansa if I could fly on another airline, they were very embarrassed, but had not response but to say that it was 'company policy'.
Wasn't the first rule of business to keep your customer happy?
Welcome to FT and M&M forum, ScienceGuy!

Since you have found this thread you may have had a chance to read some of the posts which confirm that like most European airlines Lufthansa does not let you fly on earlier flights for free unless you have a full flexible ticket. Having *A status does not make any difference. $500 sounds like the standard change fee for a semi-flexible ticket.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Agreed; This no earlier standby policy in EU airlines sucks. Airlines from the US allow same-day standby for earlier flights. I'm now stuck at the SEN lounge at FRA for 5 hours; could've gone for an earlier flight since my in-bound flight arrived early, but LH required a $300USD change fee!

Next time I'll go for a tighter connection and if I miss the flight *G will book me on priority standby for the next flight.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Question Same-day domestic LH flight change or stand by

Guten Tag!

A quick search did not reveal a recent response to my inquiry so I am posting this question here hoping an experienced LH flyer can provide me with the correct answer.

I will be flying from BOS-FRA-HAM two days from now. Since this is a vacation trip, I booked these flights using ANA miles and the flights are in First and Business class respectively, all are operated by LH.

As it stands, I am scheduled to leave FRA for HAM at 11AM but my friend who was supposed to pick me up at HAM airport contacted me today to say that he has something unexpected coming up and will simply drop off his apartment key with the security guard so that I can get there myself. I am thinking perhaps I should just take a later connection out of FRA, maybe an early evening flight however ANA is showing no business class availability from FRA-HAM on June 19 despite having about 20+ direct flights. In light of this unusual situation, I want to know how flexible LH would be if I were to request for a stand by on a later LH flight to HAM that day? I am flying on a First class ticket, but it's using miles and not LH ticket stock so I don't know how accommodating LH would be. I don't mind flying economy for such a short flight so if they want to downgrade me, I will take it as well.

Can anyone please tell me what would likely be LH's response if I were to submit such request at the airport and who or where should I go to regarding such request?

Thank you
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:25 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
LH will most likely tell you to contact ANA if you want to fly later. Unless the flight you are on is overbooked.

HTB.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thanks for the quick reply. I am hoping something will open up so that I can contact ANA for the change on this short domestic flight. Otherwise, I will try my luck at the airport and hopefully a LH airport agent will be in super good mood that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.