Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2023, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More time to make the connection in FRA?
It’s always worth an ask, you might be a pax they’re hoping for.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Very unlikely. You are connecting out of VIE anyway, so why?
My VIE connection is overnight. So instead of waiting 5hr is Frankfurt, I'd like to wait 2hr and get to my hotel in VIE earlier to relax.

So do they not allow this type of thing?
Old Dec 17, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
My VIE connection is overnight. So instead of waiting 5hr is Frankfurt, I'd like to wait 2hr and get to my hotel in VIE earlier to relax.

So do they not allow this type of thing?
Because that „was always not allowed“ - free standby is around in the US for a long while while in Europe it just is not.
and with no customer pressure they won’t cut off this stream of income either.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by blitzen
Because that „was always not allowed“ - free standby is around in the US for a long while while in Europe it just is not.
and with no customer pressure they won’t cut off this stream of income either.
Understood. Thank you.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everything said is true, but still ask at the gate. They may have a situation where freeing up your seat is to their interest.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hugolover
Everything said is true, but still ask at the gate. They may have a situation where freeing up your seat is to their interest.
On a UA award ticket? Only if they have a massive oversell or something like that. Getting that changed is not that straightforward. Agreed, on a 220 ticket I would always ask - and sometimes it works
Old Dec 17, 2023, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why do you believe the ticket stock and the miles ticket matters?
Old Dec 17, 2023, 2:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Why do you believe the ticket stock and the miles ticket matters?
Because on some LH you can actually „stand by“ for earlier flights. But from memory that would be the highest fare and only from/to selected airports.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Earlier flight is the Flex fare which could be even in K, but that’s irrelevant. The implication was the ticket stock means it can’t be changed. The ticket wouldn’t be touched at all if it was in their interest to change their flight.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Earlier flight is the Flex fare which could be even in K, but that’s irrelevant. The implication was the ticket stock means it can’t be changed. The ticket wouldn’t be touched at all if it was in their interest to change their flight.
An award ticket on non-220 stock ... outside of irops ... it not something LH will touch. Even in irops it is a pretty major battle.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the gate staff don't need to touch the ticket. It's not reissued. Again, why is advising the OP to ask such an issue? There is no harm in asking.
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:25 pm

I'm with hugo here - I'd never suggest to arrive at the airport earlier to ask for a standby flight - but since OP is in FRA anyway, zero harm of asking. Assuming he's travelling without a checked bag (otherwise, zero chance) I'd give it even a reasonable chance when brought forward. I don't have recent experience with getting on an earlier flight, but before covid, I've had 5 flights where they've put me on an earlier flight when connecting (4x FRA to ZRH, 1x GVA to ZRH)

Granted, I was SEN at that time, that might have helped, but even without status, I'd give it some chance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.