Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Group service to Bristol [BRS]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2009, 4:07 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G
D'oh! {smacks forehead}.

You're absolutely right... probably better to put the planes up in order of capacity. But the principle is still there - if there's a bunch of aircraft disappearing from European routes at the top, and nothing coming in at the bottom, there has to be a gap somewhere...
Old Apr 10, 2009, 8:04 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The AB6 is retriing by the end of this year, see the A300 thread in this forum. The A32S fleet will pick up the void, with quite a few new A320/1 coming in this year. The 735/733 fleet is history too, with regional picking up those routes using the new EMB and CRJ900 deliveries.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 4:47 am

Programs: UA Plat, LH SEN(RIP)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The 735/733 fleet is history too, with regional picking up those routes using the new EMB and CRJ900 deliveries.
When is that supposed to happen? Weren't the 735 to go around now?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 6:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Nope, the 735 are destined to be extinct by 2010/11 too.

Just look at the age of the LH 737 fleet: http://airfleets.net/flottecie/Lufth...ctive-b737.htm LH usually gets rid of the aircraft around the 20 year mark when the cycle count is up.

By coincidence I met the KAM for LH at our last visit to Renton and he mentioned that Boeing completely lost out to Airbus and Embraer for the short haul fleet. The 30 or so additional A32S and 45 EMB/CRJ are all the modernisation LH is doing till the next gen concept is presented by Airbus or Boeing.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:48 am

LH Regional Fleet - Aircraft Availability for BRS?

This is a fully self-interested post.

Since BM (bmi) crashed out of existence, BRS has lost the long-standing SN route to BRU, plus pretty much all our German routes, including the LH codeshare routes to FRA and MUC.

SN had posted to resume service using an RJ-85 on 29MAR, then pushed back to 01MAY, and now to 01SEP. It seems that they can't find a suitable aircraft for the route.

The BM E145s seemed like the wrong aircraft. Too small, fares too high, too easy for people (when faced with a GBP200-600 fare *difference*) to head off to LHR or BHX. KL operate AMS 5x daily with E190s, upgraded over the years from F50 and F70s.

It looks like LH Regional's fleet has right-sized aircraft (80-ish seats) but nothing spare.

What are the chances of LH Regional aircraft 'coming spare'? Or wetleasing aircraft? Or expanding the fleet? It feels like BRS could be disconnected for quite a while without suitable aircraft.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
I feel for you but LH group are not flush with small A/C & with BHX just 100 miles away I doubt they will see the point.

If you can get up to BHX you too can enjoy the delights of the ‘Aspire’ lounge
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:22 pm

It seems the only BMI route that Lufthansa reactivated is to RLG with a CRJ900. For the summer schedule the have wet leased a number of carriers, mainly OU/JP/XQ. If you look at the eurostat data for BRS the numbers are not really earthshaking to justify CR9 traffic...
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by chris63
If you can get up to BHX you too can enjoy the delights of the ‘Aspire’ lounge
Or the slightly better No.1 if flying SN (shocking beer choice as you would expect, but at least you can get a half decent fish finger sandwich ‘delivered’ straight to your table, that’s basically as ‘premium’ as it can get before an SN flight ).

G
lhrpete and chris63 like this.

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Mar 23, 2019 at 3:47 pm
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
It seems the only BMI route that Lufthansa reactivated is to RLG with a CRJ900. For the summer schedule the have wet leased a number of carriers, mainly OU/JP/XQ. If you look at the eurostat data for BRS the numbers are not really earthshaking to justify CR9 traffic...
It's a marginal case at the moment. The small capacity of the E145 fleet meant fares were high, which pushed load factors into the 50-60%, but growing gently. My sense is that bigger aircraft (not too big) would help with more competitive fares and higher volumes. I rarely see anything but full E190s on KL.

Losing SN after many many years of continuous service (even after the Sabena collapse) is a real blow. Losing FRA and MUC just as they were improving similarly so. But if it's not easy for LH to find aircraft, those routes are not such slam-dunk successes to want to pull aircraft off other routes or pay over the odds for a wet-lease.

It sounds like I need to prepare for some more years back on the tedious, slow and expensive trip to/from LHR. Or status match to SkyTeam. (Ugh).
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
It sounds like I need to prepare for some more years back on the tedious, slow and expensive trip to/from LHR. Or status match to SkyTeam. (Ugh).
BRS to LHR is further than BRS to BHX, maybe your location is different but the thought of having to use LHR compared to BHX, just wondering why ?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK

Or the slightly better No.1 if flying SN (shocking beer choice as you would expect, but at least you can get a half decent fish finger sandwich ‘delivered’ straight to your table, that’s basically as ‘premium’ as it can get before an SN flight ).

G
Fish finger sandwiches, wow, that really is gourmet catering in Birmingham
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by chris63

BRS to LHR is further than BRS to BHX, maybe your location is different but the thought of having to use LHR compared to BHX, just wondering why ?
It's about as awkward to get to BHX on public transport as it is LHR. If I go to LHR, I've got a wider range of direct flights and airlines. Flying from BRS has benefits of time and is (/was) cost neutral. Flying from LHR is more time consuming but usually better value for money.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
It's about as awkward to get to BHX on public transport as it is LHR. If I go to LHR, I've got a wider range of direct flights and airlines. Flying from BRS has benefits of time and is (/was) cost neutral. Flying from LHR is more time consuming but usually better value for money.
Ok, I don’t use public transport & i’m not ‘down the road ‘ from MAN but contract private hire when your a regular is reasonable
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:04 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Not sure whether to post this here or resurrect a 10-year-old merged BRS thread, but according to RoutesOnline:

brussels airlines resumes Bristol / Hannover service from Sep 2019
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:46 am

If I was being a sceptic, I'd say this might be a holding plan to have some slots booked prior to any no-deal Brexit on 31OCT. I'm still not sure those CityJet CRJ-900s will ever actually turn up, after the continual push back of the original spring launch dates (also around the previous Brexit deadlines).

Maybe I shouldn't be so sceptical. The once a day service (through September and October) isn't brilliantly useful, and the twice a day from November onwards makes using BRU for TATL flights pretty miserable on the way back. Who wants to sit at BRU for ~10 hours waiting for an early evening flight back to BRS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.