Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plans for new Lufthansa longhaul flights from smaller airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2007, 6:12 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Interesting to hear was also, that the WOLF doesn't care about market shares, more about profibility,
Hmmm... I find neither unusual nor censurable for the CEO of a corporation to care "more" about profits, right?

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
meaning that we don"t have to fly on LH, he just wants our money = keeping prices up bad for us, good for the share holders
Couple of logical leaps here?
Old Jun 14, 2007, 9:39 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
LH tried to introduce this concept a little while ago on TXL-IAD and stopped it after a couple weeks. It is not easy to fill longhaul flights on point-to-point connections. Each airline may need connecting pax, which are given easily for any existing hub.

IMHO competition is only successful with discounted prices. Nobody can tell me EK can fill HAM-JFK daily just with Hamburgers.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 1:38 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
And I would love to get a HAJ-JFK route. Wouldn't that be nice? Or even better: HAJ-SYD.
Yes, I know you all want to get some of the stuff I must have smoked in order to come up with those type of dreams.
Yeah...^ Gimme STR-SYD nonstop on an all-F 77L or 345 any day...with ex-ATH C fares...ahhh, just inhaled..mmhh...
Old Jun 14, 2007, 7:34 pm

Programs: LH HON, Qantas Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
LH tried to introduce this concept a little while ago on TXL-IAD and stopped it after a couple weeks.
Yes, but there has been an event called 9/11, which triggered the decision to cut all avoidable loss making business. At this time, the priority was to survive, not to develop new business. Therefore they killed the connection and found some more profitable destinations for their metal in Asia afterwards.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by ThorstenCGN
Yes, but there has been an event called 9/11, which triggered the decision to cut all avoidable loss making business. At this time, the priority was to survive, not to develop new business. Therefore they killed the connection and found some more profitable destinations for their metal in Asia afterwards.
TXL-IAD was put in operation 03/26/2001 (6 weekly flights) and canceled within a couple weeks (no official reports here, of course). Don't think they were clairvoyants for 9/11.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
TXL-IAD was put in operation 03/26/2001 (6 weekly flights) and canceled within a couple weeks (no official reports here, of course). Don't think they were clairvoyants for 9/11.
Not quite. Read here:
http://www.netzeitung.de/feuilleton/160577.html

So, TXL-IAD was flown from 25 March 2001 and cancelled on 17 September 2001. However, the article also mentions that the route was not profitable before 11/9/01.

SmilingBoy.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 2:05 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
They could cancel the PrivatAir DUS-EWR and make it a CGN-LGA...
Just jokin', but at least CGN-ZRH would be nice and improve my opportunities a lot. And as fradoc said, it's a pretty important area for many companies.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Not quite. Read here:
http://www.netzeitung.de/feuilleton/160577.html

So, TXL-IAD was flown from 25 March 2001 and cancelled on 17 September 2001. However, the article also mentions that the route was not profitable before 11/9/01.

SmilingBoy.
Okay, then I kept wrong information in mind. A friend has been a first officer on the A340 (now a captain on A320 family) and he was on that route a few times. He told me once, they stopped that route short after introduction because it was not profitable. I could swear, it was far before 09/11. But looks like my brain is getting older and older...
Old Jun 15, 2007, 3:16 am

IMHO competition is only successful with discounted prices. Nobody can tell me EK can fill HAM-JFK daily just with Hamburgers.

As a huge hamburger fan I´d love to be on a longhaul jet full of hamburgers.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 3:44 am

Programs: If I don´t have it, I don´t need it!
Must be really discounted to take the hassle to fly DXB-HAM-JFK instaed of DXB-JFK Maybe there are some Berliner (German doughnut) or Frankfurter on board Sorry only in German (from emirates.de):

Der Name Emirates steht für erstklassigen Service und Entspannung. Und die beginnt nicht erst an Bord, sondern schon auf den Wegen dorthin. Genießen Sie alle Annehmlichkeiten, die eine 1. Klasse Bahnreise mit sich bringt.

Im Ticketausstellungszeitraum vom 01. Juli bis 31. Juli 2007 bietet Emirates allen Fluggästen mit einem Economy Ticket einen exklusiven Service: Sie können mit der Deutschen Bahn zum und vom Flughafen in der 1. Klasse reisen.

Die Kooperationspartner Deutsche Bahn und Emirates bringen Sie von jedem DB-Bahnhof in Deutschland zu den Flughäfen Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg und München.

Das Upgrade wird für alle in diesem Zeitraum ausgestellten Tickets automatisch für Sie vorgenommen.

Erstklassig zu jederzeit des Jahres

Dieser Service steht unseren Fluggästen der First und Business Class zu jeder Zeit zur Verfügung und bietet neben dem exklusiven Chauffeurservice eine erstklassige Alternative zur Anreise mit dem eigenen Auto.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 4:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Star Alliance Gold
I would not call a single nonhub intercont. flight a new strategy.

Washington-Dulles from Berlin was introduced after year-long begging from certain political circles in Berlin ( not without a reason named Joschka-Shuttle )

The flight was expected to lose money for quite some time, because of poor premium class bookings ( Government discounts are steep, UA Codesharing to make it eligible for US Government employees was not yet on the agenda... ) , but on the other hand one should not underestimate the payback from the Government`s side of the table...

IIRC, there is a small airline from the U.A.E wanting more access to Germany since years, which is getting rejected from the German Government since quite some time...
Old Jun 15, 2007, 4:51 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
There are usually also some Serbians as well. EK codeshares with JAT on BEG-HAM and sells tickets for BEG-HAM-JFK. I don't know how big this market really is, but every little bit helps, right?
Old Jun 15, 2007, 5:59 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Originally Posted by DTS
They could cancel the PrivatAir DUS-EWR and make it a CGN-LGA... [...]
Oh yeah, the ultimate point-to-point! @:-) No reason for the Kölner for a ride to Düsseldorf and no reason for the New Yorker to set his foot on NJ soil!
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:26 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
In a local newspaper here in STR a regional LH manager ruled out any longhaul flights ex STR within the next 4-5 years. And even then only flights to NYC would make some sense to him. He explicitly ruled out any flights to DXB.

STR's airport manager was quoted as having made an agreement with EK to start STR-DXB but this is still blocked by government citing traffic rights issues (as RWTH mentioned already).

In other news LH will be adding flights from STR to NCE, MRS, PRG and PMI this summer.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Nobody can tell me EK can fill HAM-JFK daily just with Hamburgers.
Last time they filled me with steak and lobster, not Hamburgers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.