Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plans for new Lufthansa longhaul flights from smaller airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:04 pm

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
.....Nobody can tell me EK can fill HAM-JFK daily just with Hamburgers.
well, but there are still :
Frankfurter
Nuernberger
Schweizer
Holländer
Berliner
and not to forget Bittburger
Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by bertheike
Bittburger
Mmmhhh, Bitburger...

By the way, whatever made LH settle for Warsteiner? There are so much better beers out there!
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:19 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by alex0683de
Mmmhhh, Bitburger...

By the way, whatever made LH settle for Warsteiner? There are so much better beers out there!
Oh no... That calls to go OT
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I am all in favour of Paulaner Hefeweizen

I think LH's announcement is still only a decoy to prevent BA from stationing 767's in Germany for USA flights. LH now has 3 major hubs in FRA,MUC and ZRH and now going point to point longhaul does not make sense to me ??
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:26 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Okay, then I kept wrong information in mind. A friend has been a first officer on the A340 (now a captain on A320 family) and he was on that route a few times. He told me once, they stopped that route short after introduction because it was not profitable. I could swear, it was far before 09/11. But looks like my brain is getting older and older...
I flew TXL-IAD in June 2001 - and can confirm that the route was canned shortly after 9/11. Interestingly my flight was full in Economy so it must have been a lack of high yield business, as opposed to overall demand being soft.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 4:03 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I am all in favour of Paulaner Hefeweizen

I think LH's announcement is still only a decoy to prevent BA from stationing 767's in Germany for USA flights. LH now has 3 major hubs in FRA,MUC and ZRH and now going point to point longhaul does not make sense to me ??
Hefeweizen is the missing piece on board, indeed. There can't be a perfect F service without Hefeweizen (my favourite is Kloster Andechs Hefeweizen btw). So, which airlines offer Hefeweizen to complete the F service???

Regarding hubs and multiple point-to-points: I agree, this announcement might be nothing but an announcement. Currently LH can roughly fill 15 longhaul flights in MUC. MUC is already a hub and has capacity for many many more longhaul flights with all infratructure available. It just makes no sense to me to offer for example single HAM-JFK or TXL-IAD flights (with all its disadvantages), when they could even do it more easily with additional flights out of MUC.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Hefeweizen is the missing piece on board, indeed. There can't be a perfect F service without Hefeweizen (my favourite is Kloster Andechs Hefeweizen btw). So, which airlines offer Hefeweizen to complete the F service???

Regarding hubs and multiple point-to-points: I agree, this announcement might be nothing but an announcement. Currently LH can roughly fill 15 longhaul flights in MUC. MUC is already a hub and has capacity for many many more longhaul flights with all infratructure available. It just makes no sense to me to offer for example single HAM-JFK or TXL-IAD flights (with all its disadvantages), when they could even do it more easily with additional flights out of MUC.
Exactly. Point to point is just an advantage for a limited group of people. More choices about departure and arrival times out of convenient HUBs like MUC would be much better for a larger group of travellers
Old Jun 18, 2007, 5:56 am

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Exactly. Point to point is just an advantage for a limited group of people. More choices about departure and arrival times out of convenient HUBs like MUC would be much better for a larger group of travellers
At the end of the day it is not important for how many people one of the two options is "better", but which is the more profitable strategy given the future development of the market.... Obviously a very complex question with many moving parts. No clue what the answer is....

cheers, S
Old Jun 18, 2007, 6:02 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Originally Posted by DFW-SEN
At the end of the day it is not important for how many people one of the two options is "better", but which is the more profitable strategy given the future development of the market.... Obviously a very complex question with many moving parts. No clue what the answer is....

cheers, S
The actual profit will be correlated to the number of people who consider a specific option as "better", i.e. more convenient.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 6:29 am

Programs: LH FTL, PC Gold, HH Gold
.... Nobody can tell me EK can fill HAM-JFK daily just with Hamburgers.
Definitely not! Although it is a nice thought me alone in this big plane...
Old Jun 18, 2007, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by fradoc
The actual profit will be correlated to the number of people who consider a specific option as "better", i.e. more convenient.
Not true!

Among others it also depends on
  • The price these people are willing to pay for the different alternatives
  • What these people do if the "better" alternative is not available. I.e. if a 5 P.M. departure or a direct flight is not avaiable, do they still fly LH or do they choose the competition.
  • Impact on other flights on the same and alternative routes.
Cheers, S
Old Jun 18, 2007, 6:42 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Not true!

Among others it also depends on
  • The price these people are willing to pay for the different alternatives
  • What these people do if the "better" alternative is not available. I.e. if a 5 P.M. departure is not avaiable, do they still fly LH or do they choose the competition.
  • Impact on other flights on the same and alternative routes.
Cheers, S
I agree, "better" is always a multifactorial consideration, maybe we are trying to argue in the same direction here .
Old Jun 18, 2007, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by fradoc
I agree, "better" is always a multifactorial consideration, maybe we are trying to argue in the same direction here .
We already had a similar discussion in the "new F" thread. Obsessing with a single feature (like "seat" or "nonstop flight") in order to define "better" is indeed misleading. However, it's also quite revealing, because a poster who is arguing that way has mostly a quite personal agenda.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by flysurfer
We already had a similar discussion in the "new F" thread. Obsessing with a single feature (like "seat" or "nonstop flight") in order to define "better" is indeed misleading. However, it's also quite revealing, because a poster who is arguing that way has mostly a quite personal agenda.
My angenda is to push for nonstop flights from SIN to HAM, operated by Lufthansa, with new F seats that are more comfortable than anything on the market today but still always aavailable for award flights, unlimited supply of water bottles and a new FCT in HAM and SIN......

Cheers, S
Old Jun 19, 2007, 5:22 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
My angenda is to push for nonstop flights from SIN to HAM, operated by Lufthansa, with new F seats that are more comfortable than anything on the market today but still always aavailable for award flights, unlimited supply of water bottles and a new FCT in HAM and SIN......

Cheers, S
I've been hoping for MUC-SIN for a long time, but so far no go...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.