Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plans for new Lufthansa longhaul flights from smaller airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:34 am
hch

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
That's not what I meant. Of course LH will not just give them a flight just because it's fun. Once BBI is ready, there will be more demand for international travel
Why would a makeover for an airport create demand for travel?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
I don't see Berlin becoming a big HUB but Berlin is a big city (lots of potential customers) and in all fairness attracts a lot of tourists!
A big city which advertises itself to be "poor, but sexy" and which attracts a lot of tourists does not necessarily mean that there is a lot of money to be made by flying there.

Which is fine for the US carriers, because their aircraft configurations are not as premium-heavy as LH's birds, but for LH there are much more profitable gateways from which to operate.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by hch
Why would a makeover for an airport create demand for travel?
The emphasis is more on "once BBI is ready", meaning this will be a few years from now and the average demand for travel will be higher. Doesn't have too much to do with the airport itself, all though I believe that an airport is still a factor as well, in this case, not too important though.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:02 am
hch

The emphasis is more on "once BBI is ready", meaning this will be a few years from now and the average demand for travel will be higher. Doesn't have too much to do with the airport itself, all though I believe that an airport is still a factor as well, in this case, not too important though.
That at least makes some more sense. But I'd be very surprised if there is enough economic development that longhaul from Berlin makes sense. Note that the American carrieres do longhaul to Berlin with a hub on the other end, which has very different enconomics. Spreading the long-haul fleet over multiple, especially non-Hub stations has a very high cost for airlines, and a market would have to be very strong to justify that.

So I'm happy to bet with you a lot of beer that LH won't start any Longhaul flights from Berlin in the next five years. They'll happily code-share on the CO flight when CO joins *A, and with the right marketing that might count as enough of an LH connection and might even justify bigger material than the 757.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I am not any longer certain that the demand for travel will be higher in future. With oil prices going up (and they will go further up) several of us (and our employers) will think twice before going on business travel. Furthermore our clients have become reluctant to pay several hours of lawyers' travel time We do a lot more video conferencing....
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:31 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by hch
That at least makes some more sense. But I'd be very surprised if there is enough economic development that longhaul from Berlin makes sense. Note that the American carrieres do longhaul to Berlin with a hub on the other end, which has very different enconomics. Spreading the long-haul fleet over multiple, especially non-Hub stations has a very high cost for airlines, and a market would have to be very strong to justify that.

So I'm happy to bet with you a lot of beer that LH won't start any Longhaul flights from Berlin in the next five years. They'll happily code-share on the CO flight when CO joins *A, and with the right marketing that might count as enough of an LH connection and might even justify bigger material than the 757.
I agree. Don't get me wrong. I am much more in favor of real HUBs and I am happy to fly to MUC first before I go somewhere overseas.

Nothing is going to happen within the next five years but at some point Berlin will get some intercontinental flights.

Some of us might even remember that LH once tried Berlin - DC. (yeah, they were really successful )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.