Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plans for new Lufthansa longhaul flights from smaller airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2007, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Plans for new Lufthansa longhaul flights from smaller airports

One of Germany's larger newspapers (Handelsblatt) reports about plans for new longhaul routes from STR, HAM, DUS and TXL. It's not clear yet what the destinations will be, but I would suggest IAD or ORD in the US and maybe BKK or HKG in Asia.

only in German:
http://www.handelsblatt.com/news/Unt...gstrecken.html

google translation:
http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools
Old Jun 10, 2007, 1:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
"Mit Modellen wie [...] der A340-600 können Nebenstrecken mit geringerem Verkehrsaufkommen gut bedient werden."

346 for small routes with little traffic??

SmilingBoy.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Why not?

Thats their contribution to the ongoing Emission talks. Nive move.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SwissCircle
Thats their contribution to the ongoing Emission talks. Nive move.
What's the differance to flights from FRA, MUC or ZRH? And if they don't do it EK, AF, BA, VS or others will do it.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Perhaps this is a reaction to BA announcing that they want to start ex-Europe non-stop flights to the US with their 757/767 fleet?

Added: BA is talking about starting ALL Business Class flights ex-EU !

Last edited by Rambuster; Jun 10, 2007 at 3:45 pm
Old Jun 10, 2007, 2:56 pm

Good news as far as I am concerned. I wonder, though, if this would mean further cuts in feeder flights like STR-FRA? There are already too many connections on which LH cheats by pointing pax to Stuttgart train station instead of the airport, all with the cutesy footnote that "This city has more than one airport" . No better way to get me to book other airlines instead.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 3:35 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
A346??? Not going to happen. More like A333s (the only size LH has to compete against 757/767s) out of STR, HAM and I guess BBI.

But BKK? They don't even fly to BKK out of MUC, their second biggest HUB. Or is that just because TG is serving BKK-MUC-BKK.

Having flights like announced would be a real advantage because you can go nonstop instead through a HUB like DXB.

On the other hand, I would prefer a second flight out of MUC as a convenient HUB with plenty of connections to airports like HAM, etc. instead of having 10 flights to NYC a day but they leave and arrive all at the same time, meaning their are no real choices but the local airport in Germany.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat, LH SEN(RIP)
IIRC, didn't LH get some new slots at NRT last year? DUS-NRT might be possible due to the high concentration of Japanese business there...or maybe that's just wishful thinking...

Seriously though, what city pairs are viable options? HAM-NYC is already overserved, but LH might make it work as HAM has got a rather good European network going on.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:17 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
... But BKK? They don't even fly to BKK out of MUC, their second biggest HUB. Or is that just because TG is serving BKK-MUC-BKK.
Yes, that´s crazy. No direct LH connection to BKK. There is also the OS flight from VIE, with a lot of german connectiong people, coming from MUC.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by szg
Yes, that´s crazy. No direct LH connection to BKK. There is also the OS flight from VIE, with a lot of german connectiong people, coming from MUC.
I think that TG and LH have profit sharing on BKK - Germany routes, just like with UA on the USA routes. LH can fly their planes to higher yielding destinations in India or China. A bit ot:TG is currently adding 4 new employees to the office in Munich which is the forerunner of the 2nd daily flight (initially 3x weekly) they plan to add (same timings as the night flight ex BKK to FRA).
Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:43 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
I'd appreciate ex-CGN longhaul, as I'll be moving to Bonn in fall.
As shame that this won't happen.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by DTS
I'd appreciate ex-CGN longhaul, as I'll be moving to Bonn in fall.
As shame that this won't happen.
At least not on LH unless you are a cargo container As freight there is plenty of Lh longhoul, daily

CGN at least has EWR, that's better than nothing and I talked to CO two weeks ago, they'll keep that flight allthough it's one of the two flights from EWR to Europe which don't make a whole lot of money.

Interesting to hear was also, that the WOLF doesn't care about market shares, more about profibility, meaning that we don"t have to fly on LH, he just wants our money = keeping prices up bad for us, good for the share holders
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
At least not on LH unless you are a cargo container As freight there is plenty of Lh longhoul, daily

Container Class? Sorry, I just had the compulsion...

CGN at least has EWR, that's better than nothing and I talked to CO two weeks ago, they'll keep that flight allthough it's one of the two flights from EWR to Europe which don't make a whole lot of money.[...]
I think that CO needs a long breath with those routes, at least in D > US direction. Certainly, much C travel ex D is on LH but there are many potential US flyers in the CGN area (UN and other int'l authorities in Bonn, large Companies like Ford, Bayer and Henkel and a bunch of Universities), and it will probably take some time to attract also (LH) C flyers on that route. Not to forget the AiRail connection into FRA with convenient check-in at QKL...
Anyways, my parents liked the nonstop from CGN and enjoyed CO BF on their very first longhaul . According to them, the loads were not very high in BF.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
And I would love to get a HAJ-JFK route. Wouldn't that be nice? Or even better: HAJ-SYD.
Yes, I know you all want to get some of the stuff I must have smoked in order to come up with those type of dreams.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 5:21 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
And I would love to get a HAJ-JFK route. Wouldn't that be nice? Or even better: HAJ-SYD.
Yes, I know you all want to get some of the stuff I must have smoked in order to come up with those type of dreams.
In that case, HAJ-SYD should stop in BKK rather than SIN...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.