Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your M&M award booking experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
This should probably go in the IT thread but I can't find it.

Made a business class award booking yesterday through my own M&M account for myself as I've done many times before.

Only after booking did I realise there's a part of my first name missing on the ticket.

Name on my passport: Steven George (first) Gerrard (last)
And my M&M account also shows as Steven George Gerrard
But the ticket is issued as Steven Gerrard

Is this a case of the system treating 'George' as a middle name and omitting it?

Called the India hotline who denied any possibility to amend name or to waive the €50 cancellation fee so that I make a new booking.

Called Germany who asked me to email copy of my passport and said they cannot waive the €25 charge for name change.

Anyone seen something like this?

Last edited by MosquesAndKebabs; Sep 21, 2019 at 9:02 am
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: LH HON
Why not just pretend it IS a middle name and be done?
chris63 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MosquesAndKebabs
This should probably go in the IT thread but I can't find it.

Made a business class award booking yesterday through my own M&M account for myself as I've done many times before.

Only after booking did I realise there's a part of my first name missing on the ticket.

Name on my passport: Steven George (first) Gerrard (last)
And my M&M account also shows as Steven George Gerrard
But the ticket is issued as Steven Gerrard

Is this a case of 'the system treating 'George' as a middle name and omitting it?

Called the India hotline who denied any possibility to amend name or to waive the €50 cancellation fee so that I make a new booking.

Called Germany who asked me to email copy of my passport and said they cannot waive the €25 charge for name change.

Anyone seen something like this?
Yes, I’ve seen worse believe it or not. Last month I made a booking over the phone for my wife and I in F on MUC-ORD. The agent over the phone misspelled my wife’s name despite me spelling it out twice. I noticed a couple of weeks later and called the US hotline. The agent absolutely refused to make the change without charging a fee. It was probably the most angry I’ve ever been on the phone with a customer service agent due to the sheer audacity of it all. I escalated to a supervisor and they agreed to waive the fee as a “one time exception”. What a joke. I’d suggest try calling again and escalating if necessary.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by daumueller
Why not just pretend it IS a middle name and be done?
In theory I don’t see this being much of an issue.

BUT I depart from MAA and you never know here. The security check to enter the airport itself might be tricky, so ideally would want to have my full name.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: LH Senator BA Silver
Which route/airline did you book and which class?
LAX-FRA-BRU F (2 seats on LH A388)
FRA-ORD F (2 seats on LH B748)

Both over the Christmas/New Years holiday season.

How many pax and how many award miles?
2 pax. 91,000 Award miles per pax

How many days/weeks/months did you book in advance?
3 month in advance

Have you been able to book your preferred dates of travel?
Yes

Were you happy with the award booking procedure (e.g. online/by phone)?
Yes

How often did you have to check/call until you got the seats?
Just one check to M&M site and booked online. No need to call SEN hotline!

Last edited by wfiring12; Sep 21, 2019 at 9:09 am
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: LH HON

BUT I depart from MAA and you never know here. The security check to enter the airport itself might be tricky, so ideally would want to have my full name.
I never had my middle name on a ticket ex India...
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue

I never put my middle names in, just my first and last names. Is that likely to be an issue, do you think?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
I never put my middle names in, just my first and last names. Is that likely to be an issue, do you think?
I'm pretty confident you won't have any issues. Safe travels!
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: LX M&M
ITM-HND NH Y
HND-FRA LH F
FRA-ZRH LX C

2 pax. 111,000 miles and ~ CHF 190 in fees/taxes each

4 month in advance

Monday instead of Sunday but just one day from our preferred date apart

Yes

checked it online and had to call once to book
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:11 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by cas_de
MUC LH (I) YYZ AC (I) YHZ [stopover]
YHZ AC (X) YDF [destination / open jaw]
YYT AC (I) YYZ [stopover]
YYZ LH (I) FRA LH (I) MUC

3 pax (2 adult, 1 child), 112k miles, €603 p.P. (no companion award and child discount possible because it's a mixed LH & AC award)

11 months

Yes, except for the following two segments:
YHZ-YDF: there are two flights per day. I would have preferred the daytime departure, but there was/is no award availability, therefore I had to settle for the evening flight.
YYT-YYZ: I had to pick a flight 3 days earlier than originally planned in order to avoid a 5 a.m. departure in economy. This way we can depart at 4:30 p.m. and in business class with the positive side effect of getting a 3 day stopover in YYZ on the way back.

Since we are tied to very specific dates I am extremly happy that I could get this itin booked.

Were you happy with the award booking procedure (e.g. online/by phone)? How often did you have to check/call until you got the seats?
I did research all the flights using the M&M homepage (which is a big PITA) and Expertflyer. I did call in to make the reservation.
1st call (Canada call center) - the connection got dropped while booking the last flight of the itin.
2nd call (Canada call center) - agent was able to reserve all the flights and put the reservation on hold.
3rd call (South Africa call center) - agent was able to change YYT-YYZ from X to I, but was struggling to finalize the reservation (I was on hold for approx. 30 mins). Agent offered to finalize everything and call me back. Which she did.
4th call (South Africa call center) - same agent called back as promised and she got the reservation ticketed.
5th call (South Africa call center) - same agent called back again (voluntarily) to offer to make seat reservations.

Overall the agents in Canada and South Africa have been really helpful and great, given the rather complex nature of this redemption and the fact that I needed an award for 3 pax. As stated above the M&M homepage is a disgrace and the fact you can't really book open jaw / stop over / mixed class itins online is really frustrating.

The agent of the 2nd call had to use the SEN waitlist to get seats for the YYZ-MUC portion of the itin, despite the fact that I could see availability for the same flights online. Given the fact that I made the reservation 11 months out, the WL cleared instantaneously.
I was able to get a 4th seat on this itin for my dad. The agent had to use the SEN waitlist for both MUC-YYZ and YYZ-FRA-MUC, which cleared instantly. The domestic legs YYZ-YHZ and YYT-YYZ were only available in X and my dad needs to take a later flight YYZ-YHZ, because there was no availability on the flight we're travelling on; he will get into YHZ 1 1/2 hrs after we do - or maybe even before us in case we misconnect in YYZ. There's no way such a short transfer (1:20 barely above MCT) would have worked on my last trip MUC-YYZ-CVG where I got stuck in Toronto overnight, but that's a different story.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 3:06 am

XXX-ZRH-NBO F (2 seats)
NBO-FRA-XXX C (2 seats)

2 pax. in total 150,000 award miles

10 month in advance

Yes

Yes by phone

Not checked.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: LH Sen, Hilton Diamond
BRU-FRA-AUS return mileage bargain in LH C

4 pax: 2 adults for 55000 miles, 2 children for 41250 miles and 599 EUR !!! fees each

3 months in advance

Yes, for Xmas and New Year

Yes

found online and booked
Old Oct 5, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Really enjoyed my trip on Singapore Airlines in.business class yesterday. As a reminder, the routing was BKK-SIN-KIX, with about 40 minutes to change in SIN. It was quite a walk up to A16, even with the help of the Skytrain. Somehow the baggage made the connection, which really impressed me.

Flights were good and I like the seats on the 787 aircraft. Food service was ok but didn't blow me away. I chose the Japanese menu but wished I had taken the Ramen special.

After less than 24 hours in Osaka and crossing the bay to Kobe, I tacked on a flight from Kobe (UKB) to Sapporo (CTS) at no extra cost of miles or taxes. As a reminder, I paid 35,000 miles and €29 taxes. The last flight was operated by Air Do (or AIRDO), the airline of Hokkaido, but with a NH flight number (as well as the usual HD one). Amazing that you can use Miles & More miles to book.flights on these obscure airlines as codeshares.

ETA - Kobe airport is lovely and calm with some decent food outlets and cafes. But it also has an easily accessible rooftop for plane spotting which is really pleasant.
whiskey_sk likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:09 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
FRA-LAX-FRA return in LH F

1 pax: 182000 miles and 609 EUR fees

6 months in advance

Yes, wide open availability for 2 seats each +/- 7 days for at least one of the daily LH non-stop flights; also FRA-SFO was/is still wide open for the same week.

called SEN hotline 2 times end of Dec and mid-Jan with zero availability in C and F (in line with online availability), in addition checked every couple of days on M&M homepage. Important to note that Expertflyer shows zero availability.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 4:50 pm

Is this a new? Using SEN WL-qualifications for non-status MM basics.
If not, very happy to share.

JNB - FRA, oneway, 2x LH F

3 months in advance

Yes. But looked at general F availability first.

Calling in.
First: Non-Status passengers travelling and paying with their own miles. Not to our surprise there was no F availability for them, though flight showed F6 A5.
Then called-in again with be-friended SEN account to request F waitlist. Within the night, WL confirmation came in.
Called again and had the reservation paid with non-status member miles..
No questions asked.

3x
f4freeJunior likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.