Wiki Posts
Search

No more 'LH' staff in lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No more 'LH' staff in lounges?

I was talking to a LH staffer in the FRA A lounge (and I do know the different between contract employee and LH staff ) who told me that ALL LH-employed lounge staff are going 'in Germany' and they will be replaced by contracted employees.

What does this mean? A ground handling agent taking over this? Or just putting the G4S (or whatever they are) BP scanner bots on the desk? Ie, no more access to Altea.

LH have already rolled out remote ticketing in many stations, the best they can do is issue an XBAG, and they refer pax to a helpline which is excellent at driving passenger satisfaction for repeat business.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by hugolover
I was talking to a LH staffer in the FRA A lounge (and I do know the different between contract employee and LH staff ) who told me that ALL LH-employed lounge staff are going 'in Germany' and they will be replaced by contracted employees.

What does this mean? A ground handling agent taking over this? Or just putting the G4S (or whatever they are) BP scanner bots on the desk? Ie, no more access to Altea.

LH have already rolled out remote ticketing in many stations, the best they can do is issue an XBAG, and they refer pax to a helpline which is excellent at driving passenger satisfaction for repeat business.
That would suck. Ability of lounge dragons to help with IRROPS was one of the bigger reasons why I tried to keep the FTL alive.

Originally Posted by supine
Anyone know what's required for kids under 12 to get into the FRA lounges?

Obviously not vax'd, not recovered, do they need a test?
According to what I found, children are admitted under the requirement of their caregiver, i.e. if you are vaccinated and you take your kids, they are allowed in restaurants (which lounges fall under) because you are.

Obviously I hadn't tried it in person though.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold

Wow, they were actually trying this in EWR this summer.
I have asked for a seat change for my MUC-AYT flight which was after EWR-MUC at the EWR service desk, both employees were contracted agents ( did not even have name tags ) which told me that I should ask it at Munich as they are not allowed to touch at reservations. Of course, during the TATL, someone has took the empty exit row seats which I was unable to get it online.

Previously, pre-COVID, I recall seeing and served by German speaking, Lufthansa agents at this lounge with Lufthansa name tags.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm surprised that none of the insiders replied to my post, its a big thing if true.

I'll DM Frank Schröder, he must know, I can't think of anyone else who is 5* Lifetime HON, VIP King Customer, he's very well informed
Old Oct 5, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
I'm surprised that none of the insiders replied to my post, its a big thing if true.

I'll DM Frank Schröder, he must know, I can't think of anyone else who is 5* Lifetime HON, VIP King Customer, he's very well informed
First thought: who?

Looked further: finally found out about the Der HON character. Thanks for enlightening me, he reminds me of some of the other HON not wearing silly hats.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LLS, the company that operates the lounges, has gone to GateGourmet as part of the LSG sale. Out side of FRA & MUC all LH ground staff has been let go over the past two years and the handling agent is in charge. Lounges in FRA/MUC will retain a desk with LH agents to assist in irregs, but the entry check will go back to contract staff as it was before the pandemic.

LH lounges in outstations have staff from the handling agent where they think it is needed to assist.
chris63 and mmff like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
To be honest it’s a bit pointless to have LH staff at or just after lounge entrances, and Securitas or whatever the security people are called- although normally rude, abrupt and lacking skills in English and especially German- should be capable of swiping a boarding pass and saying yes or no to entry. I had always assumed that the LH staff just inside the lounges were check-in/gate staff who have a shift in the lounge occasionally... But of course that would mean flexibility, efficiency etc... And who needs that just now...?😏

Last edited by FlyerLX; Oct 6, 2021 at 12:03 pm
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by oliver2002
LLS, the company that operates the lounges, has gone to GateGourmet as part of the LSG sale. Out side of FRA & MUC all LH ground staff has been let go over the past two years and the handling agent is in charge. Lounges in FRA/MUC will retain a desk with LH agents to assist in irregs, but the entry check will go back to contract staff as it was before the pandemic.

LH lounges in outstations have staff from the handling agent where they think it is needed to assist.
So no outstations in the US have LH's own employees anymore? As late as 2019 I knew ATL and MCO had the station manager from LH but other agents were outsourced.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Station/duty managers in the US are LH, the rest is outsourced since about 15 years.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:43 am

Station/duty managers in the US are LH, the rest is outsourced since about 15 years.
What does the hierarchy look like for those teams in the US? If a passenger wants to speak with the station/duty manager, how many times does he need to escalate the matter?
Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:39 am

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
Originally Posted by mmff
What does the hierarchy look like for those teams in the US? If a passenger wants to speak with the station/duty manager, how many times does he need to escalate the matter?
Start collecting the mobile phone numbers of the station managers. This is pretty useful - especially in NAM.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Interesting, I thought stations like JFK or IAD would have all LH employees.

Originally Posted by mmff
how many times does he need to escalate the matter?
Wouldn't say too many, I've been checked in by the manager herself at ATL so it should work with just asking.

Originally Posted by HKG1111
Start collecting the mobile phone numbers of the station managers. This is pretty useful - especially in NAM.
Got an example on what I should call/text them for? I assume you have better luck getting numbers since you're HON.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 11:11 am
Suspended

User chris-99 from the German forums once claimed that lounge staff in FRA is contracted out. He suggested only MUC retains actual LH employees.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 12:09 pm

MUC lounge staff is also LLS/gategourmet, they had a change of uniform too. The 2-3 agents at the desk for pax assistance are the usual gate/checkin staff employed by LH.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I know someone who is not a station or duty manager, who works for LH at JFK and I am pretty sure that he is employed by LH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.