Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: LH and Credit Card - Disputes/Chargebacks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

I see that the thread I started has been merged with others, which makes it hard(er) to follow the chain of replies. The title has also changed and does not reflect my first post in the thread: I had no disputes against LH but against other European carriers from whom I had bought tickets with the LH-branded DKB credit card.

As I mentioned back in April, DKB issued a temporary credit for all my chargebacks with a turnaround time of approximately 3 weeks. It took another 1.5 months for them to become final. It's worth noting that I did include all the necessary supporting documentation for each dispute: booking receipt, eticket, cancellation notice, and written refund request to the airline at least 7 days before initiating the dispute. I stuck strictly to the facts with no emotional language or unnecessary details. I guess the rules of the game may have changed since then but I still think this is the best course of action when dealing with an European carrier these days.

For those who think it's fine that clients be forced into lending to corporate behemoths for free, I advise them to read posts 458 and 462 in the "Covid19: Swiss refunds after cancellation" thread.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:51 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
last month's CC bill shows the disputed amounts refunded, exactly 2 months after I submitted the dispute. Just to make sure I spoke to the credit card company, since they've issued a temporary credit back in April and they confirmed the refund and case closed.
mmff likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
last month's CC bill shows the disputed amounts refunded, exactly 2 months after I submitted the dispute. Just to make sure I spoke to the credit card company, since they've issued a temporary credit back in April and they confirmed the refund and case closed.
Amex, visa, or MC?
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Amex, visa, or MC?
neither. DinersClub.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 5:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Came across this article earlier this week:

https://brc.org.uk/news/finance/char...tect-yourself/

The worst thing a retailer can do now is accept chargebacks and friendly fraud, believing they’re a side-effect of COVID-19 that will resolve itself. A retailer needs to identify where its chargebacks are coming from (criminal fraud, merchant error, or friendly fraud) and fix it or fight against them. Not challenging fraudulent disputes can make a company look weak and leave it open to future attacks.
  • Keep accurate accounts of purchase information – this will allow businesses build compelling cases against false claims down the line, while speeding up the dispute process, making it easier to handle vast amounts of claims at once.
  • Ensuring that customer service teams are well prepared to deal with the influx of customer enquiries – happy customers are less likely to file chargebacks.
  • Reducing damages caused by refunds with new and creative strategies will protect revenue. This can include tactics such as offering monthly memberships to customers that file refunds to protect cashflow and revenue streams.
Yet, the most important skill a retailer can learn in our current climate is the ability to distinguish between genuine chargebacks and friendly fraud. For companies that deal with one or two chargebacks a month, it’s possible to review cases individually and compare them against their records to establish whether they are genuine or not. However, this isn’t feasible for most retailers dealing with vast amounts of chargebacks.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: Miles and More FTL; Miles and Bonus *G; Emirates
Originally Posted by racen
Canadian here. I cancelled two premium economy tickets from YYC-FRA-VER September travel on Feb 29. Purchased through American Express platinum travel. Told my refund would be 5-14 days. Early March Amex tells me they made a key stroke error and the refund would take a little longer. Forward to April - After many calls, client services suggested I file a dispute which I did. Amex credited my account in April then charged me again in May. Said my dispute was rejected by Lufthansa. Correspondence incorrect wasn’t even showing the flights we purchased. Filed another dispute in May. Lufthansa correspondence Rejecting second claim shows me travelling from LHR to Dubrovnik. WTH? June 22 Amex tells me refund has been processed. July 21 Have not seen anything yet. Be cautious with Amex travel even as a platinum card holder. Read the fine print. They are no help and take zero responsibility for their errors. No one in Amex checks the correspondence they are sending from the airline? Come on. That is fundamentally wrong. Lufthansa won’t talk to me. Curious if anyone has been notified of refund in June and has received money.
this is indeed the case. I worked both on issuer and acquirer side and it is indeed the case that as soon as the merchant's acquiring bank (= Lufthansa's bank) responds to the chargeback the chargeback credit is undone and the acquirer is credited. It is then for the cardholder's issuing bank to make a second presentment, but they must provide the cardholder with the merchant's response to see if he continues to dispute the transaction.

The big problem here is that incompetent issuers may not be willing to open a second chargeback- this has indeed happend to me with AMEX' JV in Belgium called Alpha Card.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Here's my timeline with OS:

3 April - Flight canceled, refund requested.
3 June - Follow up, told still in process
3 July - Called to follow up, OS would disconnect repeatedly once a selection was made from the menu.
3 July - Chargeback requested from American Express. Confirmation email of original 3 April refund request sent as proof of request.
24 July - Amex credited for both tickets.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or if you want to do this faster and more efficiently (for you), simply make your request to the carrier for a refund and wait seven days. If, on the 8th day the carrier has not initiated a refund, file a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank) and supply the documents which back it up at the time of the chargeback:
1. Copy of EC 261/2004, Section 8 - highlighting the refund as an option. (don't supply the entire document).
2. Copy of e-ticket receipt.
3. Copy of notice of cancellation (or significant flight time change).
4. Your request for a refund.
5. Carrier response (if there has been one) or note that you have not heard back,

For UK and US banks, a temporary credit should appear in short order and that will become permanent unless the carrier can somehow demonstrate that it did not cancel (or substantially change) the flight.

No need to send letters before action, pay filing fees or do anything beyond the above, Most issuers have an online portal for this, including the ability to upload the relevant documents. For others, it may cost you a stamp. Don't be tempted to do this orally, even though it may save you a day or two.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Or if you want to do this faster and more efficiently (for you), simply make your request to the carrier for a refund and wait seven days. If, on the 8th day the carrier has not initiated a refund, file a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank) and supply the documents which back it up at the time of the chargeback:
1. Copy of EC 261/2004, Section 8 - highlighting the refund as an option. (don't supply the entire document).
5. Carrier response (if there has been one) or note that you have not heard back,

For UK and US banks, a temporary credit should appear in short order and that will become permanent unless the carrier can somehow demonstrate that it did not cancel (or substantially change) the flight.

No need to send letters before action, pay filing fees or do anything beyond the above, Most issuers have an online portal for this, including the ability to upload the relevant documents. For others, it may cost you a stamp. Don't be tempted to do this orally, even though it may save you a day or two.
Not sure if you saw my post in the Swiss refunds thread, but Swiss have admitted that they are contesting all refunds, even if they are valid. In an email to me from customer relations, they said the following:

Originally Posted by Swiss
I regret that we failed to meet the standards we committed ourselves to with regards to refund processing times and I understand your frustration in light of the unsuccessful refund request and chargeback attempt. We deem it important to carefully check each refund request. For this reason, all chargebacks have been disputed as the relevant department confronted with these is neither trained to do the necessary checks nor has the capacity to do so. While we received chargeback requests by passengers with a clear entitlement to a refund, there are also other cases to be considered, such as cancellations by passengers who felt it was unsafe to fly or who were unable to fly due to immigration restrictions and also requested refunds. In order to follow a transparent and fair refund process, chargebacks have thus not been agreed to with regard to Coronavirus irregularities, but referred back to our Refunds Department.

So a chargeback to Swiss at least, won't work.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dave_C
So a chargeback to Swiss at least, won't work.
Worked fine for me 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old Jul 25, 2020, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by vantage03
Worked fine for me 🤷🏻‍♂️
That's really good then! How much was it for? I had some flights that were just £130 or so, and I suspect Amex just ate the cost, rather than sending them back to LH completely. The ones with the fight were over £2K.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
That's really good then! How much was it for? I had some flights that were just £130 or so, and I suspect Amex just ate the cost, rather than sending them back to LH completely. The ones with the fight were over £2K.
Over £5K...
Im sure Amex would follow the process no matter what the amount was tbh
Old Jul 25, 2020, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure if you saw my post in the Swiss refunds thread, but Swiss have admitted that they are contesting all refunds, even if they are valid. In an email to me from customer relations, they said the following:

So a chargeback to Swiss at least, won't work.[/color]
Did you supply all of documentation noted with your initial written chargeback claim?

LX can "contest" all it wants, but it must produce documentation demonstrating that the refund is not due as of the date the chargeback was sought.

If your card issuing bank has a properly documented chargeback from you, it is then time to switch your bank. There are dozens of examples on FT of banks in the UK and US simply ignoring assertions from LX and other carriers suggesting that they will make a refund at some time outside the law's requirements.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 1:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Often1

I did try this with Amex, and while Amex issued an immediate credit, Swiss disputed the chargeback. Swiss stated that
1.) As I had no right of entry to my destination (incorrect), they were entitled to refuse me transportation, and I only had a right to refund as per fare rules.
2.) Swiss offering to re-evaluate my refund entitlement on providing further documentation as to my right to enter the destination country.
3.) Swiss offering a travel voucher instead.

They forgot to mention their flight cancellation (of all segments ) in their response to Amex.

Once this is over, I will share the outcome with Amex's fraud department. Seems a pretty clear cut case of "misleading" through "omission" and "make a gain".
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
I did try this with Amex, and while Amex issued an immediate credit, Swiss disputed the chargeback. Swiss stated that
1.) As I had no right of entry to my destination (incorrect), they were entitled to refuse me transportation, and I only had a right to refund as per fare rules.
2.) Swiss offering to re-evaluate my refund entitlement on providing further documentation as to my right to enter the destination country.
3.) Swiss offering a travel voucher instead.

They forgot to mention their flight cancellation (of all segments ) in their response to Amex.

Once this is over, I will share the outcome with Amex's fraud department. Seems a pretty clear cut case of "misleading" through "omission" and "make a gain".
That was exactly my experience. The letter before action did the trick. Also, the email from Swiss saying that they're disputing everything has gone back to the Amex's S.75 team. Not sure it'll do it any good mind you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.