Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: LH and Credit Card - Disputes/Chargebacks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yeah...and by the time you have finished with these 45 days back and forth, the rest of us have received our refunds from LH long time ago.
cas_de likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Yeah...and by the time you have finished with these 45 days back and forth, the rest of us have received our refunds from LH long time ago.
Most likely.
LH still has around 35days to respond to the 2nd round of dispute.

Also really funny, when a German LH agent responds by email they always say, customer relations doesnt do any refunds and g'bye
When a U.S. LH agent replies they forward it to their refund dept.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
One dispute filed with Amex got resolved in the final stage today. Money is back on my card, apparently LH never replied to Amex inquiry.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
One dispute filed with Amex got resolved in the final stage today. Money is back on my card, apparently LH never replied to Amex inquiry.
That happened to me too with Swiss. But then they replied 3 weeks later with the same BS they sent to posters here. Amex charged my card again and I have issued Chargeback again. Lufthansa has obviously organised the same process at all group airlines. Shame on you Lufthansa.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
That happened to me too with Swiss. But then they replied 3 weeks later with the same BS they sent to posters here. Amex charged my card again and I have issued Chargeback again. Lufthansa has obviously organised the same process at all group airlines. Shame on you Lufthansa.
They can't recharge after a final decision has been made. Only in the interim.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
They can't recharge after a final decision has been made. Only in the interim.
Amex changed my temporary credit to permanent only 4 weeks after I sent them documentation. They wrote me and confirmed my claim. They did say then that the merchant might still dispute the chargeback. It was obviously (now) not a final decision although I did understand it as such at the time. I have now requested a chargeback of the re-presented amounts for which I have again received a temporary account credit. I also told Amex in no uncertain terms that I expect them to read the documents and stand behind their customer against a merchant flouting the law.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:22 am

Has anyone had a SUCCESSFUL chargeback?

Lots of horror story posts here about failed chargebacks for bogus reasons from LH group. I am curious if anyone has had a successful one?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Lots of horror story posts here about failed chargebacks for bogus reasons from LH group. I am curious if anyone has had a successful one?
I’ve had three, all averaging around £6000, and all done via AMEX in the U.K. 1x LX, 2xLH

The LX one was easy as AMEX travel booked the flights.

The LH ones were more difficult as I booked directly. At first the chargeback was denied because LH wouldn’t put in writing anywhere that I’d asked for a refund. As we know, they even updated their automatic email confirmation to just say the flight has been cancelled.

Their mistake was the upsell email ‘reminding’ me that “even though [I had] requested a refund”, I could opt for a voucher for €50.

That email was evidence enough for Amex that I had requested a refund Amex has marked the cases closed.
mmff likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vantage03
Their mistake was the upsell email ‘reminding’ me that “even though [I had] requested a refund”, I could opt for a voucher for €50.
Nicely done!
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I have now requested a chargeback of the re-presented amounts for which I have again received a temporary account credit.
Again, I do not want to flame here. In my eyes this accounts to clear credit card fraud on behalf of the merchant. If it was me, I would file a police report.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Do you seriously expect the police to deal with such civil law issues like a dispute between a vendor and a customer? I would expect the police to have other and better issues to deal with (crime, law enforcement etc).
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: SQ *G, UA *G, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Just called Amex Germany in an attempt to file a chargeback. They said since I booked it through Amex Travel, and the merchant is Amex, I can't file a chargeback against Lufthansa. Is that correct or are they just lying again?

I understand that Lufthansa would probably deny the chargeback. But I also talked to the Amex insurance department and they said that if I get any proof from Lufthansa that they refuse to refund the money, then I can claim my money through the insurance.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by volutes
Just called Amex Germany in an attempt to file a chargeback. They said since I booked it through Amex Travel, and the merchant is Amex, I can't file a chargeback against Lufthansa. Is that correct or are they just lying again?

I understand that Lufthansa would probably deny the chargeback. But I also talked to the Amex insurance department and they said that if I get any proof from Lufthansa that they refuse to refund the money, then I can claim my money through the insurance.
I think your process here starts with formally requesting Amex Travel to request the refund on your behalf due to the carrier cancelling the flight and not providing the service contracted. Be sure that they confirm this to you. If you do not get refunded, which you will not, then call again to request the chargeback from Amex Travel. When the chargeback is denied or if Amex refuse to initiate it then use Dr Böse or other knowledgable German lawyer to file suit on your behalf. There is no saying how long Lufthansa will sit on your money if you do not follow this path.

I did find when I was insisting that Amex initiate a 2nd chargeback on my previously approved but represented chargeback against Swiss that the firm statement that I was not going to give up made the process a lot more painless. That was then instantly refunded to my account, although I did already previously have it in writing from the airline that my ticket would be refunded, so making any excuse to refuse the chargeback null and void.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by volutes

Was your card charged by AmEx Travel or by Lufthansa?
If by AmEx Travel, then the chargeback would be against AmEx Travel and of course AmEx wont allow raising a chargeback against one of their companies.
If LH charged your AmEx card: Then of course you could raise a chargeback against LH, however, for every raised chargeback the airline usually penalizes the issueing travel agency, so AmEx would again cut in their own flesh by allowing to raise a chargeback.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Do you seriously expect the police to deal with such civil law issues like a dispute between a vendor and a customer? I would expect the police to have other and better issues to deal with (crime, law enforcement etc).
It is not any longer a civil matter, once the merchant is starting the deceit the bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.