Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: LH and Credit Card - Disputes/Chargebacks

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
If you are disputing a credit card charge you have to provide certain evidence. If the test is not met the credit card system will not do a chargeback. Whether the merchant doesn't have a rainy day fund, or is not refunding as per regulations etc is of little consequence to the chargeback process. Financial institutions go by rules and if the evidence of non-performance is not adequately provided its a clear case of 'computer says no'.

BTW even in 'normal' times chargeback is rampant in the travel industry. Consumers have different perception of how the performance of the service was done and often initiate chargeback on hotel stays, airline tickets, cruises, tours etc. Travel providers have departments that do nothing else but respond to chargeback requests by credit card issuers.

This website gives a rough overview on how prevalent chargebacks have become: Chargebacks Explained - The Chargeback Company
All of this goes back to the fact that the LH Group are ignoring their obligations in law, and not refunding within 7 days. This is clearly stipulated and applies across Europe. I guarantee you that if they did that, their level of chargebacks would be an order of magnitude smaller. It clearly can be done, but they are making a commercial decision not to. Therefore, they must accept the consequences.
hugolover and flyerwma like this.
Old May 29, 2020, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Just put in a chargeback with chase for a LH flight I have been waiting since Mar 3 for a refund on. LH have confirmed the refund is being processed 3 times, but I'm still waiting. LH just cancelled another June itinerary, and since they don't answer their phones, I went right to the chargeback option.
Old May 30, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Just put in a chargeback with chase for a LH flight I have been waiting since Mar 3 for a refund on. LH have confirmed the refund is being processed 3 times, but I'm still waiting. LH just cancelled another June itinerary, and since they don't answer their phones, I went right to the chargeback option.
They do not answer the phone? You are sure you are dialing the correct number? I phoned LH in the last days several times at different times during the day and never had to wait longer than a minute.
Have you read the above comments? Without trying to contact the merchant, your chargeback request will be automatically declined.
Old May 30, 2020, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who says that? Is that based on anything? This is really to do with where you're based, the card issued, consumer law and the individual issuer's practices. In countries with weak consumer laws, like the MS of the EU, there is no possibility to made the card firm liable itself using the process that exists in the UK; S75. This means if your chargeback is declined your only choice is to sue the merchant which again, in many MS, is an absolute disaster.

If you try to email, Tweet & phone LH and they either don't answer or say the refund is "pending" is that proof of contact?

I don't think there is an "automatic decline".
Old May 30, 2020, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by athome
They do not answer the phone? You are sure you are dialing the correct number? I phoned LH in the last days several times at different times during the day and never had to wait longer than a minute.
Have you read the above comments? Without trying to contact the merchant, your chargeback request will be automatically declined.
They "answer," I am just on hold forever and I never get to a person. Regarding one of the refunds I have been in contact with LH a half dozen times. They have been telling me my $ is coming since March and still no $...Chase already refunded the full amount. The other one is pending with AMEX.
Old May 30, 2020, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
With the cozy relationships between airlines and card issueing banks (e.g. AMEX) when it comes to buying miles in large bulks -> it's no wonder that Amex is not going against the airlines.
Old May 31, 2020, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warakorn
With the cozy relationships between airlines and card issueing banks (e.g. AMEX) when it comes to buying miles in large bulks -> it's no wonder that Amex is not going against the airlines.
Its not clear cut. I had no issues in the U.K and I know a few other people who were able to obtain refunds from LH Group this way.

Consumer laws just have no teeth in many countries.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by tokyonson
Hi,

I wanted to share my experience with a chargeback for Lufthansa with Chase.
Their current tactic seems to be to completely ignore the fact that they canceled the flight and blame it on travel restrictions:
"Passenger was unable to fly irrespective of the merchant's willingness to travel."

10.01.2020 Booked First Class Flight KBP-JNB with LH for 16.04.2020

22.03.2020 Checked booking constantly and found out that LX cancelled my inbound flight, both LH and LX at that time already stopped notifying people about cancelled flights because of overwhelmed call centres (scandal in itself) so I have no email but made screenshots of the booking status and also e-ticket with flight status cancelled

22.03.2020 Called LH first and they cancelled the ticket saying a full refund would be no problem but could take a bit longer (legally they are obliged for 7 days).
I only received a short mail saying that “the booking has been cancelled” but not stating any refund or the fact that it was cancelled because the flight has been cancelled by the airline.

06.04.2020 Disputed Charge with Chase (made with Sapphire Reserve Visa Credit) on the basis that the promised refund did not hit my bank account within 14 days although legal requirement is 7 days

23.05.2020 LH denied chargeback on the basis that South Africa closed borders on April 1st and I would not have been able to enter.

It’s quite stunning they use this tactic given that the flight has been cancelled on March 22nd (maybe even earlier) before the travel restrictions where even in place. The flight also never operated (so far to their "merchant willingness to travel").

Would you try and dispute the charge again?

Thanks,
Tokyonson
I received the same refund dispute now from LH for 1 of my chargebacks! (flight between U.S. & Europe)
Make sure you check the details. They cancelled my booking before travel ban was announced, so they cant argue they have cancelled the flights because of DOCS
If you need more dispute arguments, send me a PM, I have quite a long list of arguments against their dispute
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:15 am

Programs: SQ *G, UA *G, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It's been over a week since I had requested for a refund for my cancelled flights with LH. And I'm thinking about filing a chargeback with Amex Germany. What's the procedure? I think it's mentioned somewhere that Amex Germany tend to prevent their cardholders from filing a chargeback against LH, is this true? While I see that LX has rejected the request, has anyone been denied for a chargeback by LH? Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by sinus
That's exactly how it is. They both show us the middle finger. Even Visa in their updated policy says they will reject the chargeback in case flight is cancelled due to government restrictions.

But most flights are not cancelled due to gov. restrictions, only because of low demand.
I can only think of China and South America where restrictions are in place so airlines cannot fly / only allowed to fly x times / week.

Entire Europe and U.S. travel ban is no gov. restriction on the airlines, since U.S. citiizens can still fly to the U.S. and Europe citizens to Europe. Airlines have only cancelled these rountes due to low demand.

Might have been smarter to still operate the flights, even if the plane is empty, because then no refund would have needed to be paid under EU261 / 2004. U.S. DOT ruling is not clear, they say if there is a gov. restriction --> refund, however, gov. restriction is not defined whether it means person is not allowed to enter the country or the flight is not permitted to operate
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by volutes
It's been over a week since I had requested for a refund for my cancelled flights with LH. And I'm thinking about filing a chargeback with Amex Germany. What's the procedure? I think it's mentioned somewhere that Amex Germany tend to prevent their cardholders from filing a chargeback against LH, is this true? While I see that LX has rejected the request, has anyone been denied for a chargeback by LH? Thanks!
You cant file a chargeback with AmEx Germany anymore for travel related purchases.

Even if you did, LH would dispute the chargeback ( see previous posts) claiming booking was cancelled due to citizenship of pax + its a non refundable booking + travel credit is offered.

Here are my go to steps to success:
1) send an email to:
[email protected]
including your booking reference, eticket no + pax name
Demand full refund "due to cancelled flight within 7 days til 12 June 2020 under EU261/2004"
include your IBAN + BIC!! Thats important, because under EU261 airlines are required to pay out in cash

put a friend / family member in BCC to have proof that you really sent an email (important, because many airlines claim they never received that claim)

2) file a complaint with the DOT against LH: https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ection/refunds
More complaints --> more likely that the airline will be heavyly fined

3) after 7 days contact a lawyer, many German flyers have already sued LH with Dr. Boese and already received their refund: https://www.rechteindeutig.de/luftha...klageerhebung/
Old Jun 9, 2020, 12:32 pm

An update or data point for anyone who cares:

Booked companion J ticket in November 2019 ARN-FRA-SIN-MEL for 4 through LH.com

Flight canceled by LH on or around April 8 (no email was ever sent to me, and when logging in with PNR, said 'please contact flight center due to a change in itinerary)

Contacted LH April 10 - refund offered through call centre, email sent indicated cancellation, but not who did it/when

May 1st chargeback started with VISA due to no refund. Documentation submitted.

June 8 no response from LH and reversed charges are now permanent.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tbuff
An update or data point for anyone who cares:

Booked companion J ticket in November 2019 ARN-FRA-SIN-MEL for 4 through LH.com

Flight canceled by LH on or around April 8 (no email was ever sent to me, and when logging in with PNR, said 'please contact flight center due to a change in itinerary)

Contacted LH April 10 - refund offered through call centre, email sent indicated cancellation, but not who did it/when

May 1st chargeback started with VISA due to no refund. Documentation submitted.

June 8 no response from LH and reversed charges are now permanent.

I am in the same boat. Credit Card reveresed my charges but are now awaiting LH to respond. My flights cancelled sometime in April and the refund process initiated by LH APR23. Email said cancelleation not refund.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I am in the same boat. Credit Card reveresed my charges but are now awaiting LH to respond. My flights cancelled sometime in April and the refund process initiated by LH APR23. Email said cancelleation not refund.
just be patient. Doesn't sound like they are challenging them. Unlike Swiss....

edit: i see above now. They are doing that. My rep ar cc said this would be final as there are strict time periods. I wonder if it depends on which country you are in and they know some will banks and ccs will play ball? Canadian here

Last edited by tbuff; Jun 10, 2020 at 6:43 am
Old Jun 11, 2020, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by tbuff
just be patient. Doesn't sound like they are challenging them. Unlike Swiss....

edit: i see above now. They are doing that. My rep ar cc said this would be final as there are strict time periods. I wonder if it depends on which country you are in and they know some will banks and ccs will play ball? Canadian here
Yes, there are deadlines set by Mastercard and Visa.
Meaning even if card owner was wrong but the merchant fails to respond within the given deadline, its his loss.
In case of Mastercard Europe the deadline is 45 days.
But the merchant can even get around this (like in my case)
LH disputed the chargeback, but forgot to attach the dispute documents. Then they had a new deadline (timeframe unknown) to provide the docs.
Once they have done so and disputed the chargeback, I now had 45 days to respond to their dispute.
After submission LH has now another 45 days to respond, if they still dispute the chargeback, then a MC dispute agent will look at the case and decide based on the docs presented by both sides.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.