Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the Boeing 747-400 [merged B744 experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:06 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Right now we’re in row 82. Should we go back to 83?
Some people prefer row 83 because nobody will grab the back of your seat to get up.

I just don’t want to be the last to order food, and want to be relatively comfortable and be able to finish our meal relatively quickly. I’m assumig they serve from the front of the upper deck to the back?
Check this thread about the order of meal service in Business. I think two FAs serve the upper deck of the 744.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Some people prefer row 83 because nobody will grab the back of your seat to get up.
Row 83 it is. Nobody grabbing the back of my seat. Not too close to the bathroom. Not too far away, and will get our food order in soon enough assuming they start from the front.

Thank you!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I was provided with both the mattress and the shirt, yes - that's what I meant for 'new kit' in the first instance and I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough initially. I am due to fly the very same route (SEA-FRA only on LH as I'll be in SCL and will fly DL on my way up) again in a few days' time and I will happily report back again.

G
thank you. I’m not leaving till September for Oktoberfest. Where do you usually sit on that all business class bird? If traveling with someone where is a good place to sit? Right now we’re on the upper deck in row 83.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:08 am

thank you. I’m not leaving till September for Oktoberfest. Where do you usually sit on that all business class bird? If traveling with someone where is a good place to sit? Right now we’re on the upper deck in row 83.

I would normally snag a window seat on the upper deck, which clearly has its own charm on the 747 No particular preference (apart from the window seat as I say and as long as I'm not that close to the lavatories), I have just checked my boarding passes from my recent SEA flights and I was sat on 86K on both occasions.

G
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:22 pm

That question was discussed at length in the other thread you started. What’s wrong about row 83 to which you already changed?

Besides I don’t quite get the obsession about whether they‘ll hand out a PJ-top and matress - LH J was a solid product before without either.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I've sat all around the 744 UD and it's all pretty similar - IME not worth stressing out about particular pairs. Some would say 84 over 83 because you get a little more space at the bulkhead, and personally I'm quite happy in 81 because the lavatory is set back a good distance toward the cockpit so it's hardly noticeable. The only real difference is that window seats have vastly more space than aisle seats because of the window shelf, but as a couple this is moot since you'll take a pair anyway. Also, you should try to sit on the shady side of the aircraft.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Check this thread about the order of meal service in Business. I think two FAs serve the upper deck of the 744.
In my experience, the meal order is pretty unfathomable. It does indeed seem to be two FAs, one for 81-83 and one for 84-86, but beyond that I've never really followed it. I've been served last in 84A, first in 81A, and several others I can't quite remember. Other than looking around wondering when I get my food it's never been an issue though - always gotten my first choice and the crews have been excellent.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:02 pm

LH FRA-SEA 747-400 upper or lower business

Husband and I are currently booked in 3H and 3K. We often don't sit together, and don't care about sitting together. But it is nice to not have to have strangers hopping over us or vice versa. I can't remember if you have to do that in a 747.

There are seats available in upper deck, several windows and aisles, but not together, except the back row 86 which is generally not recommended. Last year I was in a 747 and liked the upstairs because of the extra storage. Some say upstairs is quieter, but others say downstairs since FA's aren't walking to the cockpit. I supposed we could also get a window and aisle, like 82k and 83j and ask to someone to switch.
Here's what is open upstairs. 81k 82k 83j 85c 86h&k

Thoughts? Stay where we are or move upstairs?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by qofmiwok
Husband and I are currently booked in 3H and 3K. We often don't sit together, and don't care about sitting together. But it is nice to not have to have strangers hopping over us or vice versa. I can't remember if you have to do that in a 747.

There are seats available in upper deck, several windows and aisles, but not together, except the back row 86 which is generally not recommended. Last year I was in a 747 and liked the upstairs because of the extra storage. Some say upstairs is quieter, but others say downstairs since FA's aren't walking to the cockpit. I supposed we could also get a window and aisle, like 82k and 83j and ask to someone to switch.
Here's what is open upstairs. 81k 82k 83j 85c 86h&k

Thoughts? Stay where we are or move upstairs?
I advise against the upper deck. While it may seem more private due to less seats, on a recent YVR-FRA flight on LH's 744 the crew came constantly through the cabin on their way to the cockpit and back. The floor is not as "stable" as below: my seat shook with the normal-weight crew passing through the cabin. I was seated in 81A. I would stick with 3H&K as the front of the nose is rather far away from the engine and you have no "connecting" traffic through that cabin. If you choose to sit seperatly and the flight is full, your or your neighbour will have to climb over the aisle seat to reach the aisle. Can't comment on 86H&K as I never sat there. For storage, keep in mind that the 744 does not have a side bin but a shelf and that the windows on the upper deck are lower than on the main deck, which makes it hard to see outside. Enjoy your flight!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:33 pm

I just got off SEA-FRA and was in row 83 on the right hand side with my friend. I could not believe they ran out of my entree choice by the time they got to us. I believe they have FA’s who serve row 81-83 and then another that looks after row 84-the end on the upper deck.

First off I would highly recommend the upper deck as there’s nothing like sitting in the upper deck on the 744. I would say the best seats on the LH 744’s are row 84 as your first for your meal selection, and there is extra room due to the emergency exit.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Managed to still find availability for two LH J awards to FRA through United with only about 7 weeks to departure. I had previously been booked awards on Aer Lingus, which I have now canceled due this pleasant surprise.

It will be first time flying in LH J for me and first time J experience for the wife. Chose 85A/C over the other pairs option of 81H/K in the upper deck, and 3A/C and 4H/K at the nose. Exciting way to start out the holiday trip to Italy.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Family of 4 - we were pre-assigned seats A, C, H & K in Row 1 on a TATL overnight flight. Sounds like the perfect setup as we plan to sleep though kids would like to see the upper deck LOL.

Question: Is there decent overhead bin or side storage space in the nose section? I am happy to store my 21" B&R in the coat closet but I like to keep my Swiss backpack nearby. For this reason I generally avoid the upper deck (at least on the old UA 747s) as the side bins and overheads were too narrow to fit any of my items and a pain to haul my bags up the stairs.

Originally Posted by Explorer789
Managed to still find availability for two LH J awards to FRA through United with only about 7 weeks to departure. I had previously been booked awards on Aer Lingus, which I have now canceled due this pleasant surprise.

It will be first time flying in LH J for me and first time J experience for the wife. Chose 85A/C over the other pairs option of 81H/K in the upper deck, and 3A/C and 4H/K at the nose. Exciting way to start out the holiday trip to Italy.
Congrats! We were also pleasantly surprised to find 4 J seats from DEN->Italy in June using UA miles. Alas the return is looking tougher...
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Family of 4 - we were pre-assigned seats A, C, H & K in Row 1 on a TATL overnight flight. Sounds like the perfect setup as we plan to sleep though kids would like to see the upper deck LOL.

Question: Is there decent overhead bin or side storage space in the nose section? I am happy to store my 21" B&R in the coat closet but I like to keep my Swiss backpack nearby. For this reason I generally avoid the upper deck (at least on the old UA 747s) as the side bins and overheads were too narrow to fit any of my items and a pain to haul my bags up the stairs.
Row 1 is great for a family of 4, though I can also agree with the kids with regard to the UD as there aren’t many B747 left. Did UD on the day flight and row 1 on the night return a while ago with the family.

There are no overhead bins above row 1, but there is space underneath the footwell that will fit a normal size carry on back pack.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:01 am

If you don't mind stepping over someone: Non bulkhead Upper deck window seats. The cabin feels much more cozy and exclusive, and thanks to the way the walls curve, the seats have a noticeable extra amount of storage, width, and leg room.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, LH Sen, Alitalia Platinum, Hilton Plat, SPG / Marriott / Carlsson Gold
Best biz cl seat on 747-400?

Is the ‘throne seat’, 4D, the best? Advice welcome!

Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Seat 1K
Is the ‘throne seat’, 4D, the best? Advice welcome!

It is good for solo travelers in that it is the only J seat with aisle access and nobody who has to climb over. And you feel like Captain Kirk.

I am still not a fan: for day flights, I like a window; had it once during a night flight and it was rather noisy (lots of traffic passing by, the FAs park their carts right in front of it ...) and has little privacy. I moved to a different seat during the night.

For me, upper deck is the better place to be.

Last edited by worldclubber; Jul 9, 2019 at 12:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.