Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the Boeing 747-400 [merged B744 experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: LH FF*, A3, EK, CX
Question Lh b747-400

Can someone tell if the B744 serve FRA-PVG have been upgraded and has personal IFE for Y class?
Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
All 744 were upgraded in 2014/15 have the RAVE IFE in Y.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 7:39 pm

According to seatguru, it looks like the rear section of the main deck has 2-3-2 config in business class.
Is this accurate?
I thought the new J layout was 2-2-2 instead of 2-3-2, but I might be wrong.
Also, for solo travelers, which section of the business class cabin do you recommend?
The upper deck, the nose of the main deck, or the rear section of the main deck?
Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by agjil
According to seatguru, it looks like the rear section of the main deck has 2-3-2 config in business class.
Is this accurate?
I thought the new J layout was 2-2-2 instead of 2-3-2, but I might be wrong.
Also, for solo travelers, which section of the business class cabin do you recommend?
The upper deck, the nose of the main deck, or the rear section of the main deck?
Thanks!
This is an instance where SeatGuru is unfortunately correct. LH probably thought that if TK and EK can get away with it, why not they as well.

Normally for solo travelers an aisle in the middle would be preferable, but on the B744 that is not the case. Because it is 2-3-2, you should avoid therefore this block of 3-abreast if the flight is looking to be full. On an empty flight, of course, there is a good chance of an empty middle to share with the person across, but that is rather difficult to predict.

As solo traveler I prefer row 1 or the UD, generally.
Old May 9, 2016, 2:32 pm

Best C Upper Deck Seat ob LH 747-400

Hi,
I'm looking for the best seats on the upper deck (regarding front space and - lets say- general Business Class feeling). We're travelling as a couple. Until now I've a reservation on row 84, but I'm very unsure with these seats. Looks like that there is a limited legroom (compated to other seats); furthermore the screen seems to be smaller.

Perhaps someone can help me. Thanks
Old May 9, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: LH, BA
I have traveled recently from SEA-FRA (D-ABTK). 82 K / 83 K seem to be better that the bulkhead seats (81/84). Also note, on this particular aircraft seat 82 K recline was not functioning (hence i was moved to 83 K).
Old May 12, 2016, 8:35 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by FollowTheSun
I do not understand the obession with the upper deck. Some call it "private", I call it cramped. In the 744 nose, you have the wider cabin of the main deck combined with an even smaller cabin (22 on upper deck vs. 17 in the nose).
I can understand the fascination of the Upper Deck.

It is like flying in a much smaller aircraft and gives you a "one aisle aircraft experience" combined with the stability of one of the larger air frames.

Furthermore for many years this experience was (at Lufty) strictly reserved for First Class and/or upsellings. So it's kind of conquest of something more special than the main deck.

The "stairs up" experience.

And also a bit of nostalgia due to the fact that for a long time the B747-400 was the only aircraft with such an upper deck.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA silver, Accor platinum, HH silver, M&M
FRA to KIX (osaka) is in a 747-400, is that the old business seat or are all 747-400 already been refurbished ?

Last edited by David buick; Jun 5, 2016 at 1:47 pm
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by David buick
are all 747-400 already been refurbished ?
Yes, they are since quite some time.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:31 pm

Does seat 42A have a limited recline due to the wall behind it? Seat Guru just notes it as a standard Y seat but wasn't sure if that was the case.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:06 pm

LH 744 - Best row upper deck?

My wife and I are booked in seats 84HK (row behind the emergency exit) on LH 417 IAD to FRA at the end of August. My theory in booking those seats was that holding onto the mini-bulkhead would help the window passenger step over the aisle passenger on the way to and from the lav. 83HK and 85HK are also both still open. Any reason to prefer one of those rows over row 84?

Also we have a 3hr 15m FRA connection to an onward LH Schengen flight. Is it worth it to go to the Welcome Lounge, or should we just find a Business Lounge in the international area before we go through immigration? Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA GOLD (1MM)
Originally Posted by Lost1k
My wife and I are booked in seats 84HK (row behind the emergency exit) on LH 417 IAD to FRA at the end of August. My theory in booking those seats was that holding onto the mini-bulkhead would help the window passenger step over the aisle passenger on the way to and from the lav. 83HK and 85HK are also both still open. Any reason to prefer one of those rows over row 84?
I'm trying to find out the exact same thing so I'm hoping that someone has an opinion/experience with this....
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by Lost1k

Also we have a 3hr 15m FRA connection to an onward LH Schengen flight. Is it worth it to go to the Welcome Lounge, or should we just find a Business Lounge in the international area before we go through immigration? Thanks.
Originally Posted by salty749
I'm trying to find out the exact same thing so I'm hoping that someone has an opinion/experience with this....
Yes, Row 84 is among my favorites on the 744 equipment as well. Good point about the bulkhead and stepping over the aisle neighbor, but if you are even moderately dexterous, stepping over the aisle neighbor without disturbing her or him is not very difficult with the new seats, regardless of the row.

This is a photo of Row 84, and if memory serves it was even taken on LH417:

Forward of Row 83, the lav traffic becomes noticeable, and some folks think further back is noisier because of the galley, but I can't say that I have noticed.

Note: there is a tendency for the FAs to park serving carts in front of you if you sit in Row 84, for those who might find such actions distracting.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:31 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by N1003U
Yes, Row 84 is among my favorites on the 744 equipment as well. Good point about the bulkhead and stepping over the aisle neighbor, but if you are even moderately dexterous, stepping over the aisle neighbor without disturbing her or him is not very difficult with the new seats, regardless of the row.
It helps if you are of certain height.

This is a photo of Row 84, and if memory serves it was even taken on LH417:

Has LH416/417 always been served by the 744 (as opposed to the 748i)? Anyway I can confirm the photo above is from the 744 by the shape of the overhead bins. Overhead bins on the 748i look like this.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Has LH416/417 always been served by the 744 (as opposed to the 748i)? Anyway I can confirm the photo above is from the 744 by the shape of the overhead bins.
I am currently working on a project near CMH, and I originate from FRA, so my LH gateway in the USA is typically ORD or IAD.

As nearly as I can tell, to/from IAD, LH416/417 are usually operated with a 744, while LH418/419 are usually operated with a 748. ORD seems to have been getting two 748s daily for a while now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.