Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the Boeing 747-400 [merged B744 experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by findark
+1 for the UD. The bulkheads at 81 and 84 have a bit more foot room, but any seat is pretty good. 86HK are rather close to the galley, and 81 C/H are vaguely close to the lav. I've recently done 81A, 84A, and 85K and been quite pleased with all of them.
They are all fine, but I like the seats further back better than the ones near the lavs in the front, as there seems to be more „traffic“ there and not limited to meal times.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:44 pm

Question (LH471 - 744) Best seat in J for a couple

Hi guys,

My wife and I are booked for LH471 in J, and its a 747-400. I was wondering whats the best set of seats we could select for both of us, and if upper deck is any better than lower (I've only flown A330s when it comes to LH, so no clue).

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
For a couple, I would definitely go for the upper deck, it‘s a lot more quiet than downstairs and the 2-2 layout makes it great for couples. I like the seats further in the back away from the lavatories, but that‘s personal taste.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by hsandhar
Hi guys,

My wife and I are booked for LH471 in J, and its a 747-400. I was wondering whats the best set of seats we could select for both of us, and if upper deck is any better than lower (I've only flown A330s when it comes to LH, so no clue).

Thanks in advance!
Upper deck all the way! I'm slightly partial to row 84 but there are few bad seats upstairs.
hsandhar likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Another vote for the upper deck. There also aren’t many B744 around anymore...
hsandhar likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E35K
33A on LH 747-400

Hi, first time flying LH. I hear 33A is one of the better seats on the 747-400 in economy. I know some aircraft’s window seats at emergency exit rows do not have one side armrest. Does anyone know if that is the case for 33A?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:09 pm

Best Y Seat on 747-400

Hi all,

I have recently booked a flight on LH on the SEA-FRA route. This will be my first time flying on LH and on the 747-400. Quite excited at the opportunity to fly on one of these before they inevitably retire for good.

I'm only on a Y fare. Does anyone have insight on where the optimal seating is for economy (if there are any?) I read that the Y seats right behind Y+ are great since the transition provides a little bit more legroom. I'd much prefer a window seat if possible.

Cheers!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
My wife and I are flying FRA-SEA on business class, 747-400. Row 81 (A/C and H/K) are open, as well as 86 H/K. We do not plan to sleep much on this flight. The row 86 seats seem quite private, and I do not think we will mind being close to the kitchen. I am also concerned about only 1 bathroom for the 22 seats, and being in 86 makes it easier to go downstairs if needed to find an alternative bathroom. Thoughts?

EDIT: Also, looking at a film of the upper deck, it appeared that row 86 does not have the little shelf between the window seat and the fuselage that I thought was on the upper deck. Did I just miss it or were those side shelves taken out during the refit?.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
J Class Seating Together on Newly Configured 744

I’m trying to find out what the best seats are for two traveling together on LH’s new J on the 747-400? I’ve looked far and wide for the answer to this question but cannot seem to find it anywhere. I’m assuming since most, if not all the seats are the same, this information isn’t posted anywhere? Currently we’re in the upper deck on row 82. I’ve always liked the upper deck of any 747, and I’m assuming it’s quieter up top.

But unless there is something I’m unfamiliar with, are these the best selection for two traveling together?

Also on our connection which is operated by an LH A321, I need the bulkhead on a tight aircraft like this for disability purposes but they told me both bulkheads was already full. Do they normally just block out the bulkheads, or are they actually taken?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:35 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Where to sit on the Boeing 747-400 [merged B744 experience reports]
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:29 pm

As I said, and as is in that thread, everyone talks about the best solo seats. But nobody talks about traveling with someone else and what the best seats are.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AMEX Plat (Marriott Gold), AMEX Hilton Aspire (Hilton Diamond)
choose the 2 seats closer to the window

I've seen Lufthansa installing new biz seats in 2-3-2 config in 747-400s (not 747-8) in the main cabin. not sure if this still exists. just be careful
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:34 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
As I said, and as is in that thread, everyone talks about the best solo seats. But nobody talks about traveling with someone else and what the best seats are.
Because apart from the (in)famous 4D for a solo traveller, all (pairs of) seats are pretty much the same if you are travelling with someone. Note that there is only one bathroom in the front for up to 22 passengers on the upper deck. I’d avoid row 81 due to the proximity to the bathroom.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Because apart from the (in)famous 4D for a solo traveller, all (pairs of) seats are pretty much the same if you are travelling with someone. Note that there is only one bathroom in the front for up to 22 passengers on the upper deck. I’d avoid row 81 due to the proximity to the bathroom.
Thank you this was the answer I was looking for but could not find anywhere.

Right now we’re in row 82. Should we go back to 83? I just don’t want to be the last to order food, and want to be relatively comfortable and be able to finish our meal relatively quickly. I’m assumig they serve from the front of the upper deck to the back? In any event do people have recommendations for two travelers together to sit on the upper deck or below in the nose? Which is better or it really doesn’t matter?

Someone asked if the seating was 2x3x2. Not counting the seating upstairs and in the nose of the aeroplane, J seating does go to 2x3x2. I guess they figured if Emirates and several other carriers can get away with it why not them?

Last edited by NWplatinum; Jun 12, 2018 at 12:44 am
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum

Thank you this was the answer I was looking for but could not find anywhere.

Right now we’re in row 82. Should we go back to 83? I just don’t want to be the last to order food, and want to be relatively comfortable and be able to finish our meal relatively quickly. I’m assumig they serve from the front of the upper deck to the back? In any event do people have recommendations for two travelers together to sit on the upper deck or below in the nose? Which is better or it really doesn’t matter?

[...]
I, for one, don't even mind row 81. Thus, I believe you should be perfectly fine in 82.
Generally I really enjoy the 74's upper deck. Should you be able to score the first row in the nose, that would be quite good as well, but generally I truly believe you're not exactly off to a bad start with row 82.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.