Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the Boeing 747-400 [merged B744 experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:40 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
That is what I am booked on for November from YVR to FRA. I was able to book my seat directly from LH seating map for the 747-400. It is an A350 to Oct 30 then changes to the 747-400
Old Sep 6, 2021, 12:19 am

I booked this single seat on some occasions. It is quite convenient, particularly considering being the only C-class arrangement with a 1-seat configuration in the whole plane. I did not feel any noise inconvenience due to the galley proximity. The only downgrade is not having an overhead bin associated with the seat. You have to use the ones of the side rows. For solo travelers, I consider it the best option. I hope those comments can help you.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:12 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by sfo
I notice on the main deck in BC there is one seat which seems to be a single seat 4D. I know it is near the galley but seems to be a stand alone and away from other seats. Any observations regarding this seat would be appreciated. Thanks
4D on the 744 was simultaneously awesome and awful.

Yes, you have direct access and no neighbor.

But you are an island in the middle of the nose with everyone walking around you. There are no great storage options and if you are juggling a couple of things you'll be dropping stuff into one of the aisles on the regular.

But it's all a bit moot. The 744s are parked in the desert and their presence in the schedule is a fiction. There will be an equipment swap if your flight is not cancelled completely.
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:57 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by mcdesouza
I booked this single seat on some occasions. It is quite convenient, particularly considering being the only C-class arrangement with a 1-seat configuration in the whole plane. I did not feel any noise inconvenience due to the galley proximity. The only downgrade is not having an overhead bin associated with the seat. You have to use the ones of the side rows. For solo travelers, I consider it the best option. I hope those comments can help you.
Took this seat once from Miami, and I share the above opinion. Nothing special to write home about, but you are on your own and can move freely if you need / want.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 2:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

First of all, you are very unlikely to get a B744 this November, even though 5 B744 are coming back into service this winter. (the reactivation has hit some snags and is running late by about 6-8 weeks). Expect the service to be operated by an A359.

4D aka the Cpt Kirk seat is novel, but only advised on night flights. 1A is the seat you should be in as long as the B744 (or B748) is still in operation. See images above.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:05 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Thanks to all that replied. I usually sit in the UD but with the virus and the close proximity to others I have decided to book 4D. If as one suggested that the 747 does not fly and there is a swap of aircraft, it is no big deal to me. I always choose an aisle seat and I really doubt whether it is a 747 or another aircraft type it will be full. I booked through UA with my miles and the flight has had BC open for several months now and pretty much no takers. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I have a 744 on a FRA-IAD flight in January. I realize the 744 could be swapped for another aircraft. But assuming we are on the 744, is row 1 the best place for a family of 4 (we have two younger children, 3 and 5, so they won't mind reduced space in 1A/K. I am vey tall though, is there noticeably less leg room in 1C/H than other J seats on the plane? Usually the bulkhead seats are my favorite J seats on other aircraft because of an enlarged footwell. I'm also debating picking 4 seats in the UD, but it's appealing to have 4 seats so close together to one another.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 2:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Tentative schedule of the B744:

Lufthansa B747-400 scheduled passenger operation between 31OCT21 and 16JAN22 to/from Frankfurt, as of 22SEP21:
* Delhi 5 weekly from 11DEC21
* Dubai 1 daily
* Orlando 1 daily
* Seoul Incheon 5 weekly until 30NOV21
MCO was already revised to A343, so lets see. Tonight a B744 is scheduled to go to TAO (LH786).
Old Oct 1, 2021, 4:35 pm

D-ABVX is currently above Estonia, so yes, LH 744’s are flying again.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:07 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know if a 744 in the schedule for end of November (4-5 weeks from now) could be considered firm or is it likely to change given the above comment about a delayed timeline to return? Specifically looking at FRA-JFK. I can see it is currently operated by an A340 but switches over mid-November to 744. Not my preferred routing but want to get a 744 experience in before they are retired. Appreciate any help!
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:44 am

Two B744 are already active (VU & VX), two (VW&VZ) are in for D-Checks in XMN. Two more will enter into service in October (TL & VM). One (VY) is still in storage in TEV, another (TK) in ICN for checks.

If the B744 is scheduled in November, then it is likely that the flight will be operated by a B744.
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:21 am

VW & VZ are back in FRA after their D-Check.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:57 pm

I am looking at Orlando to Frankfurt next September. Website showing the B744. Are you saying the aircraft has been changed?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:07 pm

No I’m saying four B744 are in service and it is very likely that the flights will operate with B744.
yyztozag and amaio like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
First time flying on an LH 744 in Biz (Flying LHR-DXB). Any tips on the upper deck window seats? 82K,85A/K,86K available. I picked 85K. I was going to pick 82 but I thought it might be too close to the lavs and the entire row of 85 is currently empty so I thought perhaps a higher chance of an empty seat next to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.