Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the Boeing 747-400 [merged B744 experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:56 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by behuman
Exactly, without hesitation. And the pet carrier will be happily accomodated by the crew in the ample storage space just behind you where they also store handluggage of the upper deck. Your pet will be quiet and also disturb nobody.
This is a thread to discuss seat selection, if you have a problem with pet travel I would recommend taking it elsewhere. "Shove cat in closet" is precisely the kind of rhetoric I was trying to keep out of this thread, pets have literally been killed this way. At any rate, according to Lufthansa's own guidance, pet carriers must be "...stowed in the transport container under the seat in front of you when on board. If this is not possible, it must be attached to your safety belt by a lead while remaining in the container.". So I very much doubt any LH crew would even consider what you're proposing. I only mentioned the pet because I don't know how it affects available seats (some airlines make you pick specific seats if you're flying PETC) plus I was hoping to get a seat with the max available under-footrest space for obvious reasons.

Considering just keeping D/G and hoping the middle stays open although I don't know what our odds are on that. I really could care less about the upper deck (I've flown it before on a 748), more interested in having enough space.

Last edited by chleonard; Feb 8, 2023 at 2:51 am
Old Feb 8, 2023, 3:21 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by chleonard
This is a thread to discuss seat selection, if you have a problem with pet travel I would recommend taking it elsewhere. "Shove cat in closet" is precisely the kind of rhetoric I was trying to keep out of this thread, pets have literally been killed this way.
Dear chleonard, I have no issues with pet travel and tried to be helpful. In LH C you can NOT stove anything under the seat in front. So the suggestion with the upper deck last row was made with best intentions because the space behind is very open and not about "showing the cat in the closet". You will remember my post when having trouble with your D / G seats, planes are nowadays packed.

I guess you wanting to lecture me regarding the topic of the thread is out of a misunderstanding.
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by behuman
Dear chleonard, I have no issues with pet travel and tried to be helpful. In LH C you can NOT stove anything under the seat in front. So the suggestion with the upper deck last row was made with best intentions because the space behind is very open and not about "showing the cat in the closet". You will remember my post when having trouble with your D / G seats, planes are nowadays packed.

I guess you wanting to lecture me regarding the topic of the thread is out of a misunderstanding.
It might be a misunderstanding, but many people on this site seem to take extreme offense when someone says they are traveling with a pet - to the point where I'm afraid to even mention it because I'll get buried in insults and snark (they are filthy, degrade the experience, etc, as if fellow humans are immune from this). If you are not one of those people, I apologize but your original post does kind of give off that vibe.

I do have to disagree on your other point, see what I posted earlier (this is LH's official guidance): "If this is not possible, it must be attached to your safety belt by a lead while remaining in the container". This is how carriers are handled in F and C (or are supposed to be handled) as there is no proper under-seat storage - they attach a yellow leash-like lead (I have not done this myself but I have seen photos of others with the same setup online). So the carrier would still have to be adjacent to your seat, space in other parts of the plane aren't an option.

EDIT: This video (about 0:50 mark) shows the lead I'm talking about:

Last edited by chleonard; Feb 8, 2023 at 5:08 am
Old Feb 8, 2023, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by chleonard
"If this is not possible, it must be attached to your safety belt by a lead while remaining in the container". This is how carriers are handled in F and C (or are supposed to be handled) as there is no proper under-seat storage - they attach a yellow leash-like lead (I have not done this myself but I have seen photos of others with the same setup online). So the carrier would still have to be adjacent to your seat, space in other parts of the plane aren't an option.
I'm not familiar with flying with pets, but don't forget that the UD has a bunch of space on the window side. Not approved stowage, but there would probably be space to comfortably set the carrier on the window ledge during level flight. (Don't know if this is technically allowed, etc. but if okay it seems like a nice setup. I keep my bedding and effects there normally.)
Old Feb 8, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I flew pets in both LH and LX C/F (also work relocation), and there is absolutely no enforcement of "no underseat stowage" when it comes to pet carriers. I think LX has dedicated C seats for PETC, but you will find out as soon as you try to book it I would agree on others' suggestions of upper deck, as it's much quieter and much less foot traffic than lower deck.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by hdogan
I flew pets in both LH and LX C/F (also work relocation), and there is absolutely no enforcement of "no underseat stowage" when it comes to pet carriers. I think LX has dedicated C seats for PETC, but you will find out as soon as you try to book it I would agree on others' suggestions of upper deck, as it's much quieter and much less foot traffic than lower deck.
Good to know, thanks. I'm used to dealing with UA who can be a bit strict on stowage. Moved us to an aisle/window pair so we should be set.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:43 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by findark
I'm not familiar with flying with pets, but don't forget that the UD has a bunch of space on the window side. Not approved stowage, but there would probably be space to comfortably set the carrier on the window ledge during level flight. (Don't know if this is technically allowed, etc. but if okay it seems like a nice setup. I keep my bedding and effects there normally.)
Only thing to keep in mind with the side stowage is that, on the 744, it actually stops in front of 86HK.

There is a gap next to 86K that can be used for stowage, but probably not wide enough for a pet carrier.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 4:49 pm

We will be on the 744, FRA-YVR, in a few weeks and I wonder if 86AC are good choices for upper deck seating? We will be on the lower deck on our outbound so wanted to try out the upper deck to see how that was different. People seem split on whether or not it is better or worse... In any case, 86AC or 81AC are the only pairs available. I wonder about the galley and/or stairs and whether these will be a bother. Otherwise, 11-14 AC and HK are open on the lower deck so we can pick something in there.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 5:09 pm

I was in the upper deck a couple times and thought it was cool. Didn't seem like any seats were a problem on mine. It's overall very quiet up there.
arf04 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by arf04
(...)In any case, 86AC or 81AC are the only pairs available(...)

Thanks for your thoughts.
Everyone has their own preferences and lots of it makes little difference, all said. We do like 81 upstairs for the "airplane all to ourselves" feeling. No eye contact with anyone else except when they head back from the lav. Also first to be served and thus, more importantly, first to have dishes and such cleared away. I'll forever hate that tiny cubby hole for the feet regardless of where in biz I end up sitting.
arf04 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 12:37 am

We will be on the 744, FRA-YVR, in a few weeks and I wonder if 86AC are good choices for upper deck seating?
Are you sure it's a 744? There is no AC in row 86, just HK.

https://www.aerolopa.com/lh-744
Old Mar 11, 2023, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by supine

Currently A330 operated by Eurowings discover but LH492 does go to B744 for Summer season
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:04 am

You are correct. I miss-typed: it is 85AC. And yes, it is a 744 according to the booking and the seat map that comes up.

Curiously, on the LH website I cannot do the seat selection but on AC's website I can.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 12:54 pm

You are correct. I miss-typed: it is 85AC. And yes, it is a 744 according to the booking and the seat map that comes up.

Curiously, on the LH website I cannot do the seat selection but on AC's website I can.
I'm one of those folks who prefer the back of the upper deck. The seats are plenty roomy.

There will be a bit of traffic from the galley but the FAs tend to stage the meal service from the area in the middle of the cabin between the emergency exits.

Once the meal service is over there will be very little foot traffic, unlike the bulkhead where you have the whole cabin going past on their way to toilet.
arf04 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 4:58 pm

I'm one of those folks who prefer the back of the upper deck. The seats are plenty roomy.

There will be a bit of traffic from the galley but the FAs tend to stage the meal service from the area in the middle of the cabin between the emergency exits.

Once the meal service is over there will be very little foot traffic, unlike the bulkhead where you have the whole cabin going past on their way to toilet.
Thanks. I booked us into 85AC. I am sure it will be an interesting experience. We were rebooked onto FRA-YVR-YQR but the YVR-YQR segment has been dropped from the itinerary, so who knows what the result will be. We had previously been on FRA-YYZ-YQR, but the YYZ-YQR flight we needed was cancelled and rebooking turned out to be a bit of a hassle. Back to the phones on Monday to try to get that sorted but it is possible that we will not even be on the 744 when it is all said and done!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.