Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the Boeing 747-400 [merged B744 experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by findark
A quick straw poll: 81C or 4K (or 14K)? The upper deck has a strong, strong allure on this dying breed but it is arguably the worst seat up top and also I'm trying to make a 1h21 connect at YVR at the end of this flight. I'm also a window person, but I have my doubts about 4K as it seems completely open to the lavs and the crew jumpseat behind 4H.
Answering my own question after flying - pax in 81A proactively asked me to swap, so had an excellent ride. UD is awesome, and probably would have been happy even with 81C.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:47 pm

Picked 85A for an upcoming flight. Hope this is a good choice. But now my other leg is not yet booked. Wondering if i should take another LH flight, and if yes, should I stay with 744 and try LD and sit in pointy nose... (but seem very crowded when pointy nose has 2-2 seat configuration, unlike the 748 1-1)

OR

Should i try another equipment - and which one? as far as i know, there is A380, A340, 748? Is there a A330 also? A380 and 748 is pretty hard to come by... esp for F. need to wait for T-14

Thanks,
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:48 am

row 81 is mine
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: AA Plat 2 mill miler;UA Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
747-400 Business Best Seats Question

I would appreciate any advice from the Lufthansa experts. I will be flying on LH new(ish) Business for the first time on a 747-400 from KIX-FRA and have a choice between a number of main deck seats. I was wondering:

a.) Is it indeed the case that 747-8i is configured as 2-2-2 on the main deck, but the 747-400 is 2-3-2? If so, does that mean the -400 seats are narrower?

b.) Is it true that having to "play footsie" is less of an issue for "D" seats than for other main deck seats because neither the "D" seat nor the middle next to it is angled? Is the size of the foot well the same for all seats?

c.) Do bulkhead seats (i.e. 10D) have more room and/or a more open foot "cubbie"?

As I am again a LH newbie after many years, I would be extremely grateful for any input.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by zenexplorer
a.) Is it indeed the case that 747-8i is configured as 2-2-2 on the main deck, but the 747-400 is 2-3-2? If so, does that mean the -400 seats are narrower?
Geometry would suggest so, but I'm not aware of a terribly notable difference. The 744 and 388 have roughly the same J seat, at least they felt the same to me when flying them.

b.) Is it true that having to "play footsie" is less of an issue for "D" seats than for other main deck seats because neither the "D" seat nor the middle next to it is angled? Is the size of the foot well the same for all seats?
Only the E/G pair has the "footsie" issue on the 744. All seats are angled, but the A/C and H/K pairs are parallel and the D seat is parallel to the E seat.

c.) Do bulkhead seats (i.e. 10D) have more room and/or a more open foot "cubbie"?
Footwell is built into the bulkhead - I would judge there's a bit more horizontal room but since it's not open to the ceiling it's a pretty small difference.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, AF
LH 747-400 - Best business class seats?

We recently flew on this aircraft and were seated in the 2nd business class section. It was a 2/3/2 configuration and the 3 seat section had a lot of families with kids. I want to try and avoid this next trip.

I walked upstairs and the business cabin was quiet but looked tighter. And I also checked out the front which is 2/2/2.

Any recommendations on which are the best seats for quiet and comfort? Seatguru says Row 1 but it looks like the angle would compromise space?

TIA
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by caviargal1956
We recently flew on this aircraft and were seated in the 2nd business class section. It was a 2/3/2 configuration and the 3 seat section had a lot of families with kids. I want to try and avoid this next trip.

I walked upstairs and the business cabin was quiet but looked tighter. And I also checked out the front which is 2/2/2.

Any recommendations on which are the best seats for quiet and comfort? Seatguru says Row 1 but it looks like the angle would compromise space?

TIA
Row 1 gives you some privacy and not bad at all, 4D is good for individual travelers who value aisle access and the upper deck tends to be fairly quiet overall, but single travellers face the 2-2 layout dilemma of window seat without aisle access or aisle seat with a stranger in the window seat having to climb over you to get to the aisle. The familiy load depends a lot on the season, (summer vacations, Xmas season etc.), most of the year it is relatively low in all J cabins.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I've sat in row 1, and while it was a weird experience to be able to sort of see forward of the plane due to fuselage angle, it wasn't too bad space-wise.

For quietness I would probably recommend the upper cabin. Aisle access though is a dilemma; if you want to have aisle access and not have anyone climb above you, then nose section with 4D is a decent seat.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, AF
Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Row 4 was too close to the WC and that was one reason we did not like the location. All rows are open at this time, and trying to choose between 1 and 2. We are two couples so aisle access not a concern.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by caviargal1956
Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Row 4 was too close to the WC and that was one reason we did not like the location. All rows are open at this time, and trying to choose between 1 and 2. We are two couples so aisle access not a concern.
That you are traveling as couples is essential information.

In this case, upper deck would definitely be my recommendation, as it is quieter and more "private".
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I would also recommend upper deck (particularly row 84 IIRC, any case second/third from the back), then personally 1st row over 2nd.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+1 for upper deck - hard to find a good reason not to sit upstairs on a 747 other than all the seats being taken
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:20 pm

Best seat on LH 747-400 for sleeping

LH experts I need your advice, my husband and I are booked in 2HK on 747-4 on an overnight flight. On our return on our day flight, we are booked upper deck 83AC . My question is, should I keep our seats in FWD main deck in row 2 for night flight or move to the upper deck for both flights ? Which seats are more quiet and best to get some sleep?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by caritsa
LH experts I need your advice, my husband and I are booked in 2HK on 747-4 on an overnight flight. On our return on our day flight, we are booked upper deck 83AC . My question is, should I keep our seats in FWD main deck in row 2 for night flight or move to the upper deck for both flights ? Which seats are more quiet and best to get some sleep?
UD is more quiet and the 2-2 Layout is great for couples. Would try to get something there. The further back the better.
caritsa likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+1 for the UD. The bulkheads at 81 and 84 have a bit more foot room, but any seat is pretty good. 86HK are rather close to the galley, and 81 C/H are vaguely close to the lav. I've recently done 81A, 84A, and 85K and been quite pleased with all of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.