Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH/LX/LO/OS/SN/OU economy class food

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:09 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Concerto
Was that a hot dish, though? In a way, you can't go wrong with carrots, but it does look rather unimaginative. I think as an FTL that I can get access to that lounge in Athens, can't I?
It was a cold dish.

Yes, the LH lounge in ATH is a Business Lounge so an FTL should have access. It is fairly small but the selection of food was better than any other LH business lounge (and possibly SEN lounge) I have visited recently. At lunch time it had soup, beef stew with prune, creamed potatoes, various salads, crudités, dips, cheeses, fruits, cakes, chocolates, etc. all attractively presented and tasty.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

Yes, the LH lounge in ATH is a Business Lounge so an FTL should have access. It is fairly small but the selection of food was better than any other LH business lounge (and possibly SEN lounge) I have visited recently. At lunch time it had soup, beef stew with prune, creamed potatoes, various salads, crudités, dips, cheeses, fruits, cakes, chocolates, etc. all attractively presented and tasty.
ATH lounge is simply fabulous, as are the dedicated Staff, Jewel in LH’s lounge Crown.

I have suggested they replicate it at MAN !
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by R.O.
It's interesting this thread is so active. I mean, it's economy class. Every airline has the same options when it comes to catering (typically, an airport isn't served by more than two or three catering companies). Every airline has basically the same limited equipment to reheat food (convection ovens).
And costs matter a lot. An airline may spend an additional euro per pax on catering over another. But no airline will spend 5 euros per pax extra relative to the competition.

The catering is so similar. I often get the same pretzels on BA, DL, and LH. And the same second wrap, pizza, or flatbread for the second ("light") meal. The same roll with the first meal. Virtually undistinguishable mains and salads on the first meal, too.

The differences are SOOO MARGINAL. None of the pictures ITT make any difference to my booking decision. I know the food quality in eco is going to be poor regardless of the airline I choose. Sometimes you are more hungry or get lucky they have something corresponding better to your personal taste. But it seems to me, that happens to me with almost equal chance on every airline.
IME it does vary quite a lot by route Intra EU in Y & J & not purely on the flights block time & others in the know have suggested it’s competitors on the route affecting the catering options, the catering onboard doesn’t determine who I buy a ticket from though.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It varies hugely, some Economy meals I have had have been excellent, others have been awful. Same with the snack and sandwich service.

Aegean Airways has very good catering as does Turkish Airlines, and even little obscure airlines can have surprisingly good service and amenities. For example, Air Dolomiti and Luxair, both Lufthansa Group airlines.
But the overall winner is SUN-AIR of Scandinavia, a little Danish franchise airline belonging to BA, and they sure spend more than €5 on each passenger on their food and drink offering (a full meal service on all flights).
Any other suggestions of small airlines with excellent service in Europe?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:49 am

But the overall winner is SUN-AIR of Scandinavia, a little Danish franchise airline belonging to BA, and they sure spend more than €5 on each passenger on their food and drink offering (a full meal service on all flights).
No way. The caterer receives less than EUR 2 per hot meal, less than EUR 1 per cold meal.

We're had this discussion on VFT multiple times and were occasionally joined by somebody who had worked for the catering industry.

I've never flown SUN-AIR. But I see they don't do long haul. Airlines spend well under EUR 5 per pax for the entire long-haul catering in eco. No way that carrier spends more for its short-/medium-haul flights.

--

Even the extravaganzas some airlines afford aren't very costly. For instance, on AF long-haul, you can get one glass of (real) champagne for free. But even that isn't so costly to AF. Back-of-the-envelope calculation: AF pays EUR 15 per bottle. I'd guess slightly under half of eco pax choose champagne. They get seven or eight glasses out of a bottle (they give you a fairly small glass). So you need one bottle per 15+ pax. That's a cost of at most a euro per pax.

Last edited by R.O.; Jan 2, 2020 at 8:55 am
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting, thanks for the clarifications. Didn't know you were on VFT!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:41 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
How is LX’s Y catering out of DTW? Worth selecting a special meal (for taste/quality), and if so, which?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
LH 401 JFK-FRA 1600-0530 (+1) 747-800

Choices were described as "vegetable or non-vegetable?". This chicken was pretty decent though and a good portion size

I was surprised to see the yogurt in the breakfast as I'm used to just packaged foods.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
LH 866 FRA-OSL 0705-0905 A-320

Choice of a cheese and vegetable sandwich or a chocolate chip cookie

Last edited by CMK10; Mar 11, 2020 at 8:44 am
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:44 am

LH 2457 OSL-MUC 0605-0830 A-320

No choice this time. Everyone got a pastry which had a fruit filling and walnuts
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What happened to the hot meals on longer flights like OSL-MUC? Finally enhanced away?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:45 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
What happened to the hot meals on longer flights like OSL-MUC? Finally enhanced away?
OSL-MUC is 2hrs and a bit, I think these flights haven't had a hot meal in a while now. I think that 3+ hrs like LCA should still have them, if they haven't quietly enhanced away during catering strike.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Economy catering on LH and OS (AMM/TLV)

I have two flights coming up, FRA-AMM on LH and TLV-VIE on OS.

I've never flown with OS and it's been a few years since my last LH flight. What catering, if any, should I expect on these flights? Is it a buy on board offering?
Old May 12, 2022, 5:29 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
You will get a choice of warm meal plus the usual starter and a dessert.
Speedbird676 likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
OS vs LH Economy Class Meals

First time ever on Austrian Airlines last week EWR-VIE and was disappointed that they offered just one meal choice in Economy; vegetarian pasta. When I questioned the FA about a second choice, she replied that its been years since they offered a choice in Economy.
Flying home later this week on LH on a ARN-FRA-MCO routing. Will that be the same with just one meal choice in Coach? Seems like the last time I flew them in 2020 they had the normal "chicken or pasta" or perhaps "beef or pasta" selections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.