Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa First Award seats availability [for partner FFPs outside of M&M]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa First Award seats availability [for partner FFPs outside of M&M]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 3:02 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If have some sort of status with UA its even better 50/25/0/0$ change fee for Silver/Gold/plat/1K.
Same thing with BA: if you have Gold status or GGL you pay nothing when you do any changes to your award bookings ^
Old May 3, 2012, 8:43 am

what I find weird is that *if* an award seat in F is available:

US, ANA & BMI (for SWISS when they started blocking and BMI still offered LH/LX redemptions)

were *not* able to see or book.

AC & UA (at least in some occations)

were able to book.

I'd be interested if other carriers like SQ, TG,NZ , which are more restrictive, are able to book award seats?
Old May 3, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
LH makes 70% of their longhaul revenue by selling C seats. F is supposed to be an experience, and they don't intend to sell every seat in F, its always been like that. The peanuts they get out of the *A pot for giving a partner FFP a F award seat probably doesn't cover the cost of catering and the kit.
Why would LH or any other airline not intend to sell every seat?

The kit costs less than 10 EUR and from my understanding is heavily subsidized by Bogner.

The catering would be a stretch to get to 40 EUR p.p.

The "taxes" and fees alone are over 300 EUR so there is some easy room for margin here.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I can quote a very senior LH manager on US Air miles (and others): "We kicked out all this garbage from our First Class".
Time to kick out the garbage they call First Class on so many planes, let alone what they call Biz.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by fflyer1
..I'd be interested if other carriers like SQ, TG,NZ , which are more restrictive, are able to book award seats?
They probably instilled an even superior sense of hubris in their customers than LH managed to convey with their E+.

So I wonder if it happens very often?
Old May 3, 2012, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
I can quote a very senior LH manager on US Air miles (and others): "We kicked out all this garbage from our First Class".
Really?

Very disappointing to learn of such behaviour at any company.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by solomita
I think that the theory is that LH wants to sell F for real cash, and that they can do this by providing a superior product. Part of the superior product that they think they are providing is exclusivity. For the customer that they are targeting, I guess they believe that losing some revenue from mile redeemers will increase exclusivity for paying customers, and thus increase paying customers.

Or they just think that they can fill enough of the seats (only 8) through cash buyers that they don't need to give any out.
If this was happening, they wouldn't be needing to remove F from parts of the fleet.

Also, the airline that is blowing past LH, EK? Very generous op-ups and upgrades (none of the "oh, your €2000+ Z fare you buy regularly? Not good enough to e-upgrade" LH wants to practice) and they price their premium cabins to sell, and sell they do.

And people with money to burn who really want privacy have a simple solution: private jets.

I'll conclude with this: if SQ is finding they can't kick *A mileage redeemers out of their premium cabins permanently, what makes LH think they can?

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Really?

I find it funny.

I think it's more likely that LH loses more opportunities for sales making C available to *A partners than F.

Case in point; I usually find more longhaul F available on UA than C. UA know what sells.

(Yes, I know, UA F is bad. That being said, several thousand euros is a lot of money to pay for caviar, champagne and duckies.)
Old May 4, 2012, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
..I'll conclude with this: if SQ is finding they can't kick *A mileage redeemers out of their premium cabins permanently, what makes LH think they can?..
It just means that SQ is the second worst company on Earth when it comes to listening to customers....
Old May 4, 2012, 11:20 am

i wouldn't say so ...

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Really?

makes sense in a way; i don't figure the idea of any airlines offering F is to fill it with people killing the rainforrest by ordering tons of papers nobody reads anyway..
Old May 4, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
Originally Posted by solomita
I swear I really have tried to figure out how to do this, but I can't find it. Can you give me the missing clue?
It doesn't look like they participate any longer, sorry for the out of date advice. Try signing up for the free newsletter or credit an upcoming hotel stay/rental car to M&M.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dan6681
It doesn't look like they participate any longer, sorry for the out of date advice. Try signing up for the free newsletter or credit an upcoming hotel stay/rental car to M&M.
That'll work! Thanks.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:11 pm

LH Stingy on *A award seats to Dubai - Question

I take an annual trip to Dubai, cashing in miles earned on United for FC travel on LH.

This year I've had more difficulty than ever booking FC on FRA-DXB. I expected some of that because of the reduction of capacity resulting from the new FC service, BUT I've also found they opened ZERO FC seats on this route on weekends (Fri - Sun), forcing me to travel on a Thursday.

I called LH and found that on each of the flights for the following three days, the number of seats currently occupied are...you guessed it...0, 0, and 0. Totally empty. Remember, this is Dubai in the SUMMER, when the hotels there are deserted, and it's the lowest of the low season.

My question for the group:

I imagine they will open seats on the weekend following the Thursday I'm currently scheduled to travel, since they'll never sell 8 FC revenue seats that time of year. Of course LH will never say how far in advance they will open up for *A award redemption, so my question is, in your experience, is there a good rule of thumb? A day? A week? Two?

Thanks!
Old May 5, 2012, 10:53 pm

makes sense in a way; i don't figure the idea of any airlines offering F is to fill it with people killing the rainforrest by ordering tons of papers nobody reads anyway.

Old May 6, 2012, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Apparently they've kicked garbage like me out of F to have plenty of seats available for LH employees:

The upper deck continued to fill up, surprisingly enough mostly with Americans (in my experience most Lufthansa first class passengers are German). There were two other Germans, and everyone else was American, including two Lufthansa employees (which might explain why they assumed I was an employee, since maybe they knew two Lufthansa employees were aboard in first class).
Old May 6, 2012, 5:40 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Apparently they've kicked garbage like me out of F to have plenty of seats available for LH employees:
Obviously someone burning United miles transferred from Ultimate Rewards is not garbage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.