Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa First Award seats availability [for partner FFPs outside of M&M]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa First Award seats availability [for partner FFPs outside of M&M]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I was able to book DFW-FRA about 10 days out in F. I was then able to swap for LAX-FRA about five days before the flight when it opened up. Had a great UA agent who did the swap in less than three minutes.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
AFAIK RM inventory recalc goes daily 7 days out. Before that its weekly. Note that east bound TATL inventory for LH flights is done by CO dba UA under the A+ agreement.

Non M&M cannot WL for awards, you'll have to grab any I inventory and monitor the situation. Phantom LH F availability on UA.com usually comes thru T-7/14 days and you can change your ticket (free if you have status on UA).
Any idea what day of the month it gets updated when it's still monthly? Near the 1st of the month, the 15th or toward the end?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:37 pm

Note that east bound TATL inventory for LH flights is done by CO dba UA under the A+ agreement.
what does this exactly mean?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by fflyer1
what does this exactly mean?
Some time ago UA & LH started to revenue share all their flights between north america and europe, under which LH filed all the fares westbound and did the capacity controls, UA did the same for eastbound flights. Last year this got expanded to include LH/UA/(CO)/(BD)/AC/OS/LX, the same control mechanism still apply.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 4:05 am

so I got it right, that UA now calculates the available award inventory for westbound LH TATL flights?
Funny, I always thought inventory control/yield management was each airlines top secret philosophy...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 5:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

UA does this since 1998, when you revenue share such deals are allowed, although LH has been much happier since UA started doing it with the CO software in 2010, the Apollo based revenue caclulation must have been a desaster in accuracy.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:29 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Shouldn't LH let UA do all the capacity control not just for eastbound TATL flights?

Going slightly OT but how come on the same TATL route UA fares are often lower than LH? At least they used to be, though I haven't noticed it recently.

Even more OT but as a consequence of the JV between LH and NH, discount Business fares on NH from the UK to Japan (via Germany) are now only slightly higher than LH/LX. Since all Business booking classes on NH seem to earn 200% M&M miles it could be a viable alternative even without the Executive Bonus of 25% and you are guaranteed fully-flat seats (as long as you don't fly via MUC). ^ These fares don't apply ex-LHR presumably because the JV is between Germany and Japan but without MAN-LHR *A flights there's no incentive for me to fly via LHR anyway.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Going slightly OT but how come on the same TATL route UA fares are often lower than LH? At least they used to be, though I haven't noticed it recently.
hmm... you have to be more specific. The booking classes should be in synch, as is the availability. The fares are a little different to account for the different YQ calculation logic, leading to the same end price though...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:48 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
hmm... you have to be more specific. The booking classes should be in synch, as is the availability. The fares are a little different to account for the different YQ calculation logic, leading to the same end price though...
It was at least a couple of years back but when I saw bargain fares in Y advertised for UK-US via Germany, the lowest fare was almost always on UA metal. Now the price seems to be more or less the same, but it didn't use to be.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA
Approximate recalc time?

AFAIK RM inventory recalc goes daily 7 days out. Before that its weekly. Note that east bound TATL inventory for LH flights is done by CO dba UA under the A+ agreement.

Non M&M cannot WL for awards, you'll have to grab any I inventory and monitor the situation. Phantom LH F availability on UA.com usually comes thru T-7/14 days and you can change your ticket (free if you have status on UA).
Any idea the time the recalc inventory goes out? e.g. Is it midnight FRA time? or does it matter when the "UA computer" updates it? e.g. after midnight CDT? I have noticed new scattered F and C TATL inventory appearing around 10 pm MDT and early mornings.

I have my eastbound seats. I am checking constantly for westbound F - which appears to show up 13 days out.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Thor3
Any idea the time the recalc inventory goes out? e.g. Is it midnight FRA time? or does it matter when the "UA computer" updates it? e.g. after midnight CDT? I have noticed new scattered F and C TATL inventory appearing around 10 pm MDT and early mornings.

I have my eastbound seats. I am checking constantly for westbound F - which appears to show up 13 days out.
If you're dealing with UA, call the res center and ask to a long sell request when there is phantom inventory. I had luck 2 or 3 times this year with UA contacting LH directly about an award seat. Both in C and F.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
If you're dealing with UA, call the res center and ask to a long sell request when there is phantom inventory. I had luck 2 or 3 times this year with UA contacting LH directly about an award seat. Both in C and F.
Can you clarify this "long sell request" technique you speak of.

Thanks
Old Jun 9, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by RufussCkingston
Can you clarify this "long sell request" technique you speak of.

Thanks
Its basically United asking LH to free up a seat so United could book it. So if you see phantom inventory (or even a flight that doesn't show availability), you ask the UA agent to do a "long sell request". A well trained (and more importantly) willing rep will take the 30-60 seconds to do it. They usually hear back real-time from LH and can tell you if LH freed up a seat.

This is definitely a "YMMV" experience and you may need to call back a couple of times or more to find a willing agent (or one that knows how to do it). I've had the best luck with the reps in UA's Hawaii call center. They seem to have their act together out there!

Its worked for both C and F seats for me this year.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 3:13 am

Long sell will get you the phantom seat you see online. However finding a *A FFP agent to do it for you is tricky, US DM agents have been clearly instructed not to do it. Longsell is fairly tricky to enter, an example in amadeus is shown in this video around 2:40: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wIo0...feature=colike
Old Jun 10, 2012, 3:26 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Question What does AFAIK stand for?

Any help? Vas is dis AFAIK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.