M&M Flight Award Booking - FAQ and Help Thread

Reply

Old Nov 30, 13, 2:31 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,932
Originally Posted by Eddy421 View Post
This thread should be a sticky one
+1

Originally Posted by Eddy421 View Post
Just got warn that my 30 000 MM miles will expire by year end
Did you decide to get the credit card?
mmff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 13, 6:39 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Asia
Programs: FB Plat, UA 1k, AA EXP, MVP Gold, SPG Plat75, IC Amb Plat, HGP Diamond
Posts: 227
a CC would be a bit overdone
Still looking for some one way intra asia redemption...
Eddy421 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 13, 2:32 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 101
I have a United one-way economy booking from New York to Hawaii and I wanted to upgrade to business class. The plane is a 2-cabin plane. M&M claims that because it is only 2 cabins this prices out as First class at 62K!! I know this rule existed for US Air flights but never heard of this for United flights. Is this a new rule?
mfr2000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 13, 12:31 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 7,218
Here is a stopover question, from my current attempts to book a 1st class itinerary on LX to the USA. The routing I wanted to do is as follows:

DUS-ZRH-ORD-SEA
Destination
SEA-LAX
Stopover
LAX-ZRH-DUS

It seems reasonable enough, because one extra-European stopover is permitted on round trips (not one ways). But the agent said it was impossible, because LAX is further away geographically, in terms of actual distance, than the point of destination, Seattle. That's a restriction I had never come across before, but it didn't surprise me, or even annoy me, because this programme is more restricted than a duck's a***.

But the question is, was the agent right to say this?
Concerto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 13, 1:16 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,841
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
But the question is, was the agent right to say this?
Why does it matter? Why didn't you say oh, then SEA is the stopover and LAX is the destination?
Lack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 13, 2:45 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 7,218
Well, because that would have made 4 segments to get to LAX, coming from DUS and passing through ORD and SEA. At least, on the routing I was planning anyway. It's like playing chess, working these moves out!
Concerto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 13, 6:37 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 69
Anybody can book F seats on A380, even partner airlines. However, Swiss F seats are now reserved only for SENs and HONs.

Originally Posted by dre_techie View Post
Can I change the dates and the routing on my award, or do I need to cancel and book again?
For normal (Flex Awards), date changes can be done for a change fee even after travel has begun, however routing changes are not permitted. The only exception is changing from a 2-segment to the direct flight. eg: ZRH-MUC-SFO to ZRH-SFO. For all other changes in routing you will have to cancel the award and issue a new one. Beware that mileage redeposit can take a number of days (own experience 2-7 days).

Is there a difference in travel benefits between revenue tickets and award travel?
No, there isn't. Depending on the class of service award you have booked you are entitled to the same benefits. If you are in Business or First you are entitled to access the lounges and baggage allowance of that class of service.

How can I book award travel on the LH A380 in First Class?
First awards on the A380 are reserved only for SEN & HON status members. You will need to call M&M for these, anecdotal evidence indicates it's easier if you call the German numbers.

Why are taxes & fees for awards higher through Miles & More than through some US-based mileage programs?
The main difference is that M&M charges fuel surchage (YQ) for the awards, that US/UA/CO do not charge. For awards on LO a discounted YQ is charged, the difference can be 100 or more for long-haul destinations, compared to an award on LH.

Please suggest more questions and answers to add.
bostonSENflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 13, 12:34 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 200
Hi Concerto,
In view of M&M's high surcharges on award tickets it may even make sense to book the award only from and to Zurich and just buy the DUS-ZRH-DUS (or CGN-ZRH-CGN on Germanwings, gives you more legroom) separately (in Y, not much of a difference anyway). And this does not interfere with your first class lounge experience in ZRH.

One example:
ZRH-ORD-ZRH costs EUR 461 in surcharges
DUS-ZRH-ORD-ZRH-DUS costs EUR 567 in surcharges
Difference: EUR 106.

This way you get a lot more flexibility in your routing and stopover planning in the US (and could even do one or two additional ZRH stopover(s), if so desired)

Have safe travels

Primenumber
Primenumber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 13, 4:21 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 7,218
Many thanks, Primenumber. Excellent suggestions, they are things I will keep in mind in the future. I had already thought of separating the DUS-ZRH sectors and starting the trip in ZRH. I had managed to get availability on ZRH-ORD [layover] followed by ORD-PHX-OAK (bearing in mind that Oakland is a brilliant alternative to San Francisco Airport).

However, I managed to get 2 seats in 1st class on ZRH-LAX out and back on, give or take a day or three, more or less the dates I wanted. To that I will tack on a connecting flight to San Francisco, after a layover overnight in Los Angeles. So in the end, I will just do the whole itinerary as starting from DUS, and that will give me protection in case of irregularities. Booking DUS-ZRH and vv separately would cost around 100 Euros anyway, roughly the cost of the extra taxes.

One question: will the extra leg on UA from LAX to SFO and back incur an awful lot more in taxes and fees? In this case, it might be better to buy a separate round trip LAX-SFO and vv!

I like the routing into OAK, having flown SWISS 1st to ORD, then onto US Airways connecting through PHX. But for my travel companion, a preference was expressed to reach the West Coast on as simple an itinerary as possible. Fair enough!

The plan is to do a road trip through North California, beginning with the Napa Valley area, then continuing up US-101 to Drive-Thru-Tree State Park, which is the remote top end of the famous Highway 1, California's coastal state highway. Then I will work my way South on that route, with the driving being on the side of the ocean which makes it safer for stopping.

Last edited by Concerto; Dec 29, 13 at 4:24 pm Reason: grammar
Concerto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 13, 4:56 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 7,218
A bit of heavy breathing going on here! The clock is ticking on getting this things booked before year's end.

On the M&M site, things go a bit haywire when trying to price the itinerary up on days where there is definitely availability in 1st on the LX flights from ZRH to LAX. Is this normal? Trying to price up DUS-ZRH-LAX and vv in 1st simply doesn't work, the LX option is not offered on the outbound (even though it works when doing dummy bookings as one ways).

Making it into a sort of open jaw itinerary, ZRH-LAX and LAX-ZRH-DUS as a round trip, yields about EUR468 taxes, expensive but not as bad as I expected. Pricing it as ZRH-LAX and LAX-ZRH comes out at EUR461, some 8 Euros. Wonder why the site won't price the whole thing on LX from DUS. Could it be a married segment issue?

It would seem that booking the trip as two One Ways makes the taxes a whole lot more expensive, totaling nearly 700 Euros when added together.
Concerto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 13, 7:11 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ
Programs: BA Gold/SPG Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Posts: 5,425
Just curious as to what amount LH charges in change fees to an F award?
Crampedin13A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 13, 2:10 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,841
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A View Post
Just curious as to what amount LH charges in change fees to an F award?
50 EUR.

As far as the cost of US domestic segments, it shouldn't be more the $2,5 for their security fee.
Lack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 13, 2:28 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 200
Concerto,

Looks like you are busy right now...

In my experience domestic UA segments only add small amounts to the surcharges of a M&M award.

Your booking experience with the LH website sounds strange. Doesn't look like married segment issues if it works for one-ways.

You'll have to call them anyway for the UA add-ons. Call center service varies greatly between agents - just try.

Now, as this is a 1st class reward, maybe the new dedicated LH first class callcenter number would provide better service (within DE: 0800-6270508, otherwise: +49-69 86 799 444)? Don't know though if they can handle awards as well.

Have safe travels

Primenumber
Primenumber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 13, 3:34 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 7,218
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A View Post
Just curious as to what amount LH charges in change fees to an F award?
Just completed the booking, identical routing in both directions:

DUS-ZRH-LAX-SFO with an overnight layover at LAX on the outbound.

Taxes and surcharges were a whopping EUR570 per person. Suppose that makes it a cheap 1st class ticket. This way of thinking is the only way I can deal with all these bogus charges on so-called award tickets. Still, I feel I was lucky to get 2 seats in SWISS 1st class in both directions.
Concerto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 13, 3:36 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 7,218
Originally Posted by Primenumber View Post
Concerto,

Looks like you are busy right now...

In my experience domestic UA segments only add small amounts to the surcharges of a M&M award.

Your booking experience with the LH website sounds strange. Doesn't look like married segment issues if it works for one-ways.

You'll have to call them anyway for the UA add-ons. Call center service varies greatly between agents - just try.

Now, as this is a 1st class reward, maybe the new dedicated LH first class callcenter number would provide better service (within DE: 0800-6270508, otherwise: +49-69 86 799 444)? Don't know though if they can handle awards as well.

Have safe travels

Primenumber
Thanks your suggestions. The dedicated LH first class callcenter didn't want to know anything about it, and told me to call M&M, which is fair enough I suppose.

The agent I got was really nice and helpful, and the whole booking was done in 10-15 minutes.
Concerto is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread