Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First class retrofit info

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Maybe F&F have complained about the lack of upgrade space?
Ha ha ha!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Maybe F&F have complained about the lack of upgrade space?
They are usually in the majority on my commute to BKK!
At first I was worried by a reduction from 16 to 8 but now I am convinced it will just flush out the PADs. I am not too worried (yet...).
Let's see how it pans out once (and if) it happens?
Anyway, a flight with only 8 pax on the UD of the 747 is much relaxing than a fully packed flight with 16!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 6:09 pm

how motivated may they be considering the 747-800's are going to start coming on line next year?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by 1967cougar
how motivated may they be considering the 747-800's are going to start coming on line next year?
We'll see about this...
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:01 pm

granted its a possibility towards year end. It'll take a while to replace the fleet of -400's.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:39 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I flew BA new First class suite last week on YYZ-LHR-YYZ route and I have to admit that I was very impressed by their new seat and its features ^^

I strongly believe that LH will take it ages with catch up with BA and introduce such advanced state of the art seat.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH M
Originally Posted by LH/LX
I flew BA new First class suite last week on YYZ-LHR-YYZ route and I have to admit that I was very impressed by their new seat and its features ^^

I strongly believe that LH will take it ages with catch up with BA and introduce such advanced state of the art seat.
...both LH's new F seat and cabin are state of the art itself and far more advanced then BA's new cabin which has more of a C class cramped feel.
Also materials used in LH's new F class are of a far higher quality then ones used at BA's new First.

Apart from that I have seen pictures of a new LH's First class retrofit solution for B744's fleet.
It is not just an old seat and neighbouring seat put into bed mode, in fact the cabin is completely overhauled, and the old seat gets completely new design look with the new large PTV known from A380. The seat after an overhaul looks like the new First class seat except that there is no ottoman.
Instead of having a neighbouring seat put into a bed mode, LH will take it out completely and instead of it, it will build in a real bed next to windows . In my opinion this all looks very intresting, if not better then A380.
Stowage space from ottoman won't be missed, because there is a large drawer underneath the bed.
All in all, B744's might not have personal lockers or as large bathrooms as on A380's, but it will have a real bed next to the seat.
The only drawback is for couples, since all seats are singles, but I guess LH thought couples could live with that as all seats are aisles, so companions won't be separated all that much.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:44 pm

sounds very interesting !!how do you handle row 83 which is exit
Originally Posted by LHPII
...both LH's new F seat and cabin are state of the art itself and far more advanced then BA's new cabin which has more of a C class cramped feel.
Also materials used in LH's new F class are of a far higher quality then ones used at BA's new First.

Apart from that I have seen pictures of a new LH's First class retrofit solution for B744's fleet.
It is not just an old seat and neighbouring seat put into bed mode, in fact the cabin is completely overhauled, and the old seat gets completely new design look with the new large PTV known from A380. The seat after an overhaul looks like the new First class seat except that there is no ottoman.
Instead of having a neighbouring seat put into a bed mode, LH will take it out completely and instead of it, it will build in a real bed next to windows . In my opinion this all looks very intresting, if not better then A380.
Stowage space from ottoman won't be missed, because there is a large drawer underneath the bed.
All in all, B744's might not have personal lockers or as large bathrooms as on A380's, but it will have a real bed next to the seat.
The only drawback is for couples, since all seats are singles, but I guess LH thought couples could live with that as all seats are aisles, so companions won't be separated all that much.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by divjan
sounds very interesting !!how do you handle row 83 which is exit
why? what's so special about row 83, except being an exit row seat?

Last edited by LHPII; Nov 12, 2010 at 1:17 pm
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:07 pm

why? what's so special about row 83, except being a row seat?
row 83 is an exit row and thinking about it i think there is still room near the exit doors when they are in the bed mode
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:13 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
It is not just an old seat and neighbouring seat put into bed mode, in fact the cabin is completely overhauled, and the old seat gets completely new design look with the new large PTV known from A380.
Sounds very interesting. ^ Have you any information on the timescale?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
row 83 is an exit row and thinking about it i think there is still room near the exit doors when they are in the bed mode
yes. nothing obstructs the exit.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

the bed will end with the window next to emergency exit, so no interference with em. exit. if that's what you meant.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Sounds very interesting. ^ Have you any information on the timescale?
all 10 B744's planned for an upgrade will get it in 2011.

7 B744's won't get a new products at all, since they are planned for short to medium term phase-out.
Other 13 B744's are beiing evaluated for 2 class retrofit.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
At some point we were wondering how long a D-check takes. One of the LH videos that I just saw on their website says something like 6 weeks.

I guess that's long enough to install the new seats
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
At some point we were wondering how long a D-check takes. One of the LH videos that I just saw on their website says something like 6 weeks.

I guess that's long enough to install the new seats
Shorter actually so you'll definitely rejoice at hearing that the planned down time is between 13~21 days as they are going in solely for cabin modifications. The only other concurrent work that's planned to be done whilst they're inside is changing the Y seats to the new ones with PTVs and the addition of FlyNet II.

This was made possible in the summer as D-ABTA is being brought back into service early (in Feb/Mar as opposed to May) as well as the planned arrival of 4 new A380s so that these 744s can be freed up.

I know a lot of you would be wondering why the Airbus fleet won't be freed up too for their upgrades if there's 5 planes joining the Interkont-fleet this summer. The reason is that they're planned to get their FlyNet system fully rigged up. There is a good number of the newer A333/346s delivered from Airbus without any provisions for FlyNet as by that time Conexxion had already closed so there was no point in them being fitted out. So this summer, they will be going in to have the entire system from the satellite to wiring and control units and all their associated equipment installed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.