Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First class retrofit info

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:10 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone know which routes the Airbus' with the new F seats are flying?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:46 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by Fendant
Hamallu, it is not about the subsidies it is about setting priorities at the public listed Boeing company who is shifting its resources to a faster ramp up of the seven-late-seven for their key Japanese and US customers. 747-8 needs cash out (which they do not have) for a program with uncertain market success.
US accounting rules are requiring a true and fair evaluation of the development spent at year end( normally done in the November hard close), which is why I assume that the -8 program will slow down or even be cancelled for the pax version.
And you still insist on justifying your post has something to do with LH's new F retrofit...
Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Delta is refitting a fleet of 16 x 744s with new fully flat C seats within a 12 month period.
Therefore the 5 years stated by LH is surely a load of nonsense? If they really wanted to do so, it could be done much quicker.

http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/delta/45973/
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS Silver, EK
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Delta is refitting a fleet of 16 x 744s with new fully flat C seats within a 12 month period.
Therefore the 5 years stated by LH is surely a load of nonsense? If they really wanted to do so, it could be done much quicker.

emm lufthansa is fitting 98 aircraft and if they do it at the same pace as delta, it would take 6years and a few more months. so they are doing it quicker than delta. maybe a different example will be better

also the five years is the period within which all their new aircraft on order will be delivered so it makes sense to an extent.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:04 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ogepma
emm lufthansa is fitting 98 aircraft and if they do it at the same pace as delta, it would take 6years and a few more months. so they are doing it quicker than delta. maybe a different example will be better

also the five years is the period within which all their new aircraft on order will be delivered so it makes sense to an extent.
Where did you get the number from?

LH is retrofitting 65 airbuses not 98. And they are not retrofitting the C cabins. That will have to come later!

As the thread title suggests we are talking about fitting 8 First Class seats per aircraft.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Where did you get the number from?

LH is retrofitting 65 airbuses not 98. And they are not retrofitting the C cabins. That will have to come later!

As the thread title suggests we are talking about fitting 8 First Class seats per aircraft.
Exactly. 8 seats, not like a big bunch of C seats! I doubt it takes longer than a week to do those 8 seats and that seems awfully long.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:52 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
And the bathroom(s) and the interiors... similiar to what UA did to their 763s: rip out the overhead bins and seats in F & C and replace it with the new boeing signature interior and the new F/C seats.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH M

.....and you are an expert on retrofitting aircraft!?

DL is only fitting new generic seats into its aircraft, and that's it!
LH is fitting highly customized seats + cabin, seats availability is also an issue as we all know LH switched seat manufacurer in the mid of the process from Contour to B/E Aersopace and 1000 seats can not be available to LH as it wishes.
LH also has some other higher priority cabin works to perform this winter such as complete refit of eurocabins + new Y cabin on B744s.

....and if LH says it takes 3 weeks to complete work on one aircraft then it really does. It ceretainly wouldn't take a plane out of service for longer then it takes. So please stop comparing apples and pears!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by LHPII
...LH also has some other higher priority cabin works to perform this winter such as complete refit of eurocabins + new Y cabin on B744s....
And here's the real reason ! Took us some time to get there though.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Exactly. 8 seats, not like a big bunch of C seats! I doubt it takes longer than a week to do those 8 seats and that seems awfully long.
Hahaha, if only it could be done in the time frame you say!!! The retrofits are being scheduled for up to 28 days...
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Its amazing that people think fitting a new seat into an aircraft is just a matter of loosening a few screws and switching seats

Even the famous 'three' hours C <> Y config switch LH is so proud about nowadays takes 8 hours for three rows of C because of all the electronics and wiring involved. The A330 aircraft in DUS are flying about with the smaller C cabin and LH desperately needs to expand it but can't find the time to do it....
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:43 am

And here's the real reason ! Took us some time to get there though.
^^
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
-LH has quite a good idea of what their customers think of its products and it monitors it on regular basis........ it definitely scores higher then many of critics here would rate it. Don't consider yourselves as a benchmark!
I would absolutely agree here.
While I am not happy with LH performance all the time, it also depends on what the relevant set of comparators looks like. For me, that's mostly AF and KL.
I am always happy when LH (or LX for that matter) comes out with a green traffic light in the booking system. Meaning, for me LH clearly wins within my relevant set of airlines (i.e. those I can reasonably choose from).
Does this mean, LH is the best airline in the world? No.
Do they need to be the best airline in the world to be successful commercially? No.
Would more competition ex Germany improve LH product? Probably.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 2:35 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by hamallu
Hahaha, if only it could be done in the time frame you say!!! The retrofits are being scheduled for up to 28 days...
Sorry, 28 days have 672 working hours, assuming that they run three shifts which would be logical. So with 8 seats, it would take one guy 84 hours per seat to do it, now add the second and third guy. (that you clearly need)

This seems awfully inefficient, can't help about it.

.....and you are an expert on retrofitting aircraft!?

DL is only fitting new generic seats into its aircraft, and that's it!
LH is fitting highly customized seats + cabin, seats availability is also an issue as we all know LH switched seat manufacurer in the mid of the process from Contour to B/E Aersopace and 1000 seats can not be available to LH as it wishes.
LH also has some other higher priority cabin works to perform this winter such as complete refit of eurocabins + new Y cabin on B744s.

....and if LH says it takes 3 weeks to complete work on one aircraft then it really does. It ceretainly wouldn't take a plane out of service for longer then it takes. So please stop comparing apples and pears!
High priority I buy that one on the European cabin! But high priority on the Y refit of the 744? Give me a break! They will do / finish that ONE 744 over the winter (which is probably not employed anyway or needs to undergo a heavy check) but the rest of the fleet Y refit will not start until spring.

As long as all this takes, your praised consistency over the LH fleet is actually a big joke.

The current seats might be competitive on some routes but maybe not satisfying. What I am mostly upset about is the fact that LH always pretends their seat is the best to get out there and that is truly a lie.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 5:19 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by KIXJNB
.. Meaning, for me LH clearly wins within my relevant set of airlines (i.e. those I can reasonably choose from).
Does this mean, LH is the best airline in the world? No.
Do they need to be the best airline in the world to be successful commercially? No.
Would more competition ex Germany improve LH product? Probably.
That sounds like my attitude ... but you put a positive spin on it !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.