2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2018 - 2022 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

2019 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and an above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle and Delta's shuttles between their gates in T2, T3, and TBIT). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2018 - 2019 updates are in this thread.

Print Wikipost

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
1:40 to connect T2 to TBIT should be ok with just carry on and boarding pass already in hand.

You can even try to take the air side shuttle from T2 to TBIT so you can skip the TSA line.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
If T2, DL does an airside shuttle T2 to TBIT. I used it in Aug, connecting to a VA flight. I don’t remember having to show a boarding pass for the bus and I did not have to reclear security at TBIT. But you are at the far north end of TBIT.
But 100 minutes does seem tight.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:05 pm

Hello,

I am looking to book a J award from Calgary, Canada to Seoul. Is 1 hour 10 mins enough connection time to get from Air Canada in Terminal 6 (landing at 9:50pm) to Asiana at TBIT (deparing at 11:00pm)? I will have checked luggage.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Jenny JT
Hello,

I am looking to book a J award from Calgary, Canada to Seoul. Is 1 hour 10 mins enough connection time to get from Air Canada in Terminal 6 (landing at 9:50pm) to Asiana at TBIT (deparing at 11:00pm)? I will have checked luggage.
Depends on whether you can check your bags through from YYC to ICN. Are you flying on one PNR or two?

You will not have the time to wait for and pick ups your bags at T6 and then get TBIT before the cut off for checking bags for the Asiana flight. If you can check your bags through, 1:10 is fine, assuming that your flight from Calgary is on time, as you can go from T6 to TBIT without exiting the secured airside area (see link to map in the wiki).
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Depends on whether you can check your bags through from YYC to ICN. Are you flying on one PNR or two?

You will not have the time to wait for and pick ups your bags at T6 and then get TBIT before the cut off for checking bags for the Asiana flight. If you can check your bags through, 1:10 is fine, assuming that your flight from Calgary is on time, as you can go from T6 to TBIT without exiting the secured airside area (see link to map in the wiki).
Thank you. I'm hoping aeroplan will book it as one PNR and since Asiana ans AC have interline baggage agreement I'm hoping the bags will be checked through to ICN.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I don't recall seeing this posted on this forum/thread yet, but FYI that LAX is doing runway construction that might impact travels:

Runway 7L/25R (South Outbound runway?) will be closed for reconstruction through May 11. I can't recall the source where I found the information to confirm, but I remember reading it would only be closed Sunday-Wednesday in the overnight and morning hours.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:11 pm

We are flying in and out of LAX from Toronto with Westjet this summer. The first part of our trip will be in LA and then we are looking at staying in Berkeley while we do our visiting round the Bay area before returning from SFO/OAK to LAX on the same day we fly from LAX back to Toronto.

Getting to SFO/OAK is not an issue and we will choose what works best but we need to get back to LAX on our return to catch the flight to Canada. The flight is at 12:58PM. I have looked at Southwest from OAK/SFO or any number of different airlines from SFO to LAX. Looks like we can basically arrive anytime from around 7AM onwards. Cant decide which is best as I have no clue what is involved in arriving at LAX then connecting to Westjet which I believe would be terminal 3 (?) Alaska come into 6, Southwest to 1, United 7/8 and Delta 2/3 . If I am lucky we will have carry-on only but with a wife and 4 year old that might change ! Tips/comments would be appreciated. thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by HighlanderICT
We are flying in and out of LAX from Toronto with Westjet this summer.
Westjet which I believe would be terminal 3 (?) Alaska come into 6, Southwest to 1, United 7/8 and Delta 2/3 . If I am lucky we will have carry-on only but with a wife and 4 year old that might change ! Tips/comments would be appreciated. thanks.
The simplest connection would be DL because you will land at T2 or T3 and depart from T2 and there is an airside bus between the two. You can stay airside and if you check bags, DL might even through-check since DL coded service LAX-YYZ is on WestJet.

Barring that SW is a relatively short walk from T1 to T2 but you will have to reclear security at T2. Alaska or United or American are on the other side of the U that the terminals are laid out in. Walkable, especially if you cut across the center of the U where the parking buildings are -- but with either bags or a 4 year old, not the best. Assuming that DL isn't too much more expensive, that would be my choice.

If you want to look online, I'd suggest this https://www.flylax.com/, the official web site. There are some other third-party sites that are not as updated.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by mot29
The simplest connection would be DL because you will land at T2 or T3 and depart from T2 and there is an airside bus between the two......
Many Thanks. Appreciate all the great info.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:27 pm

Pretty sure DL will not thru-check your bags on separate tickets on separate airlines so you will need to exit security to retrieve them. But you can always ask nicely when you check in.

That being said, DL is the best option because your wife and kid can stay air side while you exit and go get the checked bag.

Southwest is ok... T1 to T2 is a very short walk.

Highly recommend you fly out of OAK or SJC to avoid weather delays at SFO on a self-connect itinerary like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
Highly recommend you fly out of OAK or SJC to avoid weather delays at SFO on a self-connect itinerary like this.
DL seem to be a bit more expensive than others are showing for the dates (early July). We are staying in Berkeley when in SF area, and will be coming from Hollywood area of LA on the outbound portion so have been looking at BUR -> OAK -> LAX with Southwest (US$400 for all 3 of us) but Alaska catches my eye at CAD$380 from LAX/SFO RT. DL are about US$450 for same trip. If OAK is a better choice for convenience and avoidance of potential delays then the small difference in price is probably worth it ! Again. thanks for the info.

Last edited by HighlanderICT; Mar 2, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:29 pm

Hi, my wife and I are off on out first overseas holiday, in May, we are flying Virgin DL7226 out of Brisbane into LAX arriving at 7.10am, then connecting on the same ticket to Vancouver on Delta DL5691, which leaves at 9.55am.
I have no idea if we have enough time between flights as it will be our first international trip, the travel agent said we will be fine, but I'm skeptical, after reading about similar timelines.
If someone could give me some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ozzmann; Mar 6, 2018 at 5:45 pm
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by ozzmann
Hi, my wife and I are off on out first overseas holiday, in May, we are flying Virgin DL7226 out of Brisbane into LAX arriving at 7.10am, then connecting on the same ticket to Vancouver on Delta DL5691, which leaves at 9.55am.
I have no idea if we have enough time between flights as it will be our first international trip, the travel agent said we will be fine, but I'm skeptical, after reading about similar timelines.
If someone give me some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.
FWIW -- Last November I flew into LAX on VA arriving late at about 630 am. Connected to the DL non-stop to DCA leaving at about 830 am. Easily made the 1 hour 50 minute connection (had about 30 minutes in the lounge at T2, although it was originally scheduled as a 2 hour 15 minute connection.
I do have Global Entry so avoided any immigration lines arriving at LAX and went to the front of the security line at the DL T2 because of PreChek and Clear. I also was flying business on VA so first off the plane and carried my bags on.

All said though, 2:45 should be plenty of time. And if not, since it appears this is all on a single ticket, if you miss the connection, DL will get you on a later flight to YVR, either a connection on nonstop on WestJet

Once you are cleared of immigration and customs at TBIT you have 2 choices to get to Delta at T2. Airside -- follow the signs for connections at TBIT and clear security there and take the airside but to T2 or exit from TBIT and either take the bus the long way around the airport or turn left when you leave TBIT and walk to T2 (I'd encourage walking, but go upstairs to the departures level where the air is a bit clearer).
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:13 pm

2:45 minutes on a single itinerary is pretty safe connection at LAX. You should be fine as long as the inbound flight from BNE arrives reasonably on time.

If your luggage is tagged to YVR, you can re-check it at TBIT right after you clear custom (before leaving the secured area). If it is not tagged to YVR, you need to take it with you to Delta counter to check in.

There is very little point to back track at TBIT to clear security only to wait for the airside bus to take your to T2 or T3. And even less sense to take the land side bus the "wrong way" to reach T2 or T3. Just walk to T2 or T3 (depending on where DL5691 departs that day) and clear security there. It's a short 1 minute (to T3) to 7 minute (to T2) walk. But like mot29 suggests, go up to the departure level when you walk... less noise and fresh air.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:05 pm

OK, thank you mot29 and bzcat for the info, puts my mind to rest a little. So if I'm understanding your advice correctly, we will exit the TBIT, turn left and take the stairs up to T3 and walk to T2?
If we do miss our connection, how many other flights are there to Vancouver, would we be waiting long?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.