Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated LAX Parking Thread (2015 - Date)

The Consolidated LAX Parking Thread (2015 - Date)

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 21, 19, 2:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: chrisl137
Wiki Link
Interactive map of LAX on-airport parking and Lot E status is linked here
Realtime LAWA parking shuttle (Lot E to Terminals) information is linked here

Older posts on this topic may contain relevant information and can be found in this thread:
The Consolidated LAX Parking Thread (2001 - 2014) [Archived]
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 8, 19, 3:10 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I used Park N Fly for the first time this past weekend. I was staying at the Hyatt across Sepulveda and my corporate rate at Park N Fly was the best price that I could find that was in reasonable walking distance. For uncovered parking, they were only allowing customers with reservations to park. The first night, I made the mistake of waiting too long to book for that evening and they were sold out. I made sure the next day to book in advance and was able to find a spot close to the entrance so it was an easy walk out of the lot and to the hotel. For short term parking, I used the meters on 98th Street, which are $2 for two hours. I also parked overnight on 98th, which is free between midnight and 0800.
Old Aug 8, 19, 3:46 pm

I've often wondered whether you could drive past the "reservations only" sign and still pull a ticket and park.
Old Nov 5, 19, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, IC Amb
Park 'N Fly Closed Immediately

Park 'N Fly just posted on their website that their LAX lot is closed because LAX-it. They will help you get your vehicle back if your car is already there. They will also help with people who have existing reservations.
Old Nov 5, 19, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by UALboy View Post
Park 'N Fly just posted on their website that their LAX lot is closed because LAX-it. They will help you get your vehicle back if your car is already there. They will also help with people who have existing reservations.
My car is there and they know it via the prepaid reservation on my account that I used to get in. They have my email address, so surely they'd email me if this is the case, no?

Here's their page:

https://www.pnf.com/airport-parking/...y-park-one-lax

Where does it say anything about this?

EDIT:

On their homepage:

Attention LAX Customers

Our Los Angeles Park ‘N Fly location is closed effective immediately due to LAWA & the LAX Airport Rideshare Relocation Project. We will have attendants on staff to help you retrieve your vehicle when you arrive from your trip. An email will be sent to all existing Los Angeles customers for next steps and additional details on what to do about current reservations and account information.

Thank you for your business and support.
Old Nov 5, 19, 10:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Yup, no more LAX PNF/Park One...

Or, more graphically:

Oboy.

David
Old Nov 5, 19, 11:16 pm

When I parked there last week, there was more construction in the western part of the lot, next to LAXit. We couldn't really figure out what they were doing, but when we heard that LAX was expanding the LAXit lot, we figured that was related. But it was only maybe three aisles worth of space. If Park One is really going away fully, that's a lot of space.

Were these guys on a day-to-day lease or something? Fast turnaround - good for LAX, I suppose.
Old Nov 5, 19, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
When I parked there last week, there was more construction in the western part of the lot, next to LAXit. We couldn't really figure out what they were doing, but when we heard that LAX was expanding the LAXit lot, we figured that was related. But it was only maybe three aisles worth of space. If Park One is really going away fully, that's a lot of space.

Were these guys on a day-to-day lease or something? Fast turnaround - good for LAX, I suppose.
I too parked at ParkOne last week (Monday thru Thursday). I'd been watching the slow degradation given the gobbling up of the overall lot as they tried to prepare for what LAX/LAWA thought was a great and grand approach to a) eliminating vehicles in the central terminal area and b) putting order to the chaos that has been car ride services at LAX since Uber and Lyft came into being. LAX/LAWA ate all of the valet parking area for ParkOne - or the western side of the lot for this noble effort, which then severely impacted us who park at that location because PNF then had to split their remaining lot to accommodate their valet customers.

While all of the space that has been ParkOne will eventually be taken over by what will be Concourse Zero, sections of the lot, specifically in the northeast corner had been chain link fenced off during much of current terminal construction boom at LAX as the construction workers kept taking spaces on a daily basis in ParkOne as well as storage of different vehicles/trucks/buses/etc.

PNF's problem is that they are/were a leaseholder to the LAX/LAWA landlord/property owner. And, likely, as part of their lease agreement, LAX/LAWA could and did tell them that a) we're taking half the lot for LAXit/Uber/Lyft/etc. and then, b) when things continue and continued to deteriorate, LAX/LAWA couldn't admit that they'd screwed up so they shuttered ParkOne instead.

Take a look at my comments in the other thread - with the volume of traffic that needs to flow in order to make this LAXit work, LAX/LAWA are going to have to do some major surgery to the lot and screw up traffic even more. And still not admit that they screwed up big time.

David

p.s. And as my posts in the other thread show, by LAX/LAWA eating even more into ParkOne, I figured PNF's days were numbered - I just had hoped that there'd be enough time to use all of the free parking days I'd accumulated before this happened. What I'd hoped was potentially a year turned out to only be hours....
Old Nov 7, 19, 1:50 pm

Programs: AlaskaMVP Gold, southwest A+, Hilton gold, Spire ambassador
I also parked at ParkOne last week (Wednesday to Thursday) and this was after undergoing the long delay to get an Uber ride on the night of the 29th. You could see that the days of ParkOne were numbered with all of the different plans for LAX expansion overlapping into the lot. Personally, I always enjoyed parking there since much of my travel is on Southwest. I usually used the valet service and the attendants would greet me by name (used their services a lot). I also had a lot of free parking days left in my account and had hoped to use them over this upcoming year. Guess not. I will miss the convenience of PNF.
Old Nov 7, 19, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by SoCaltravel View Post
I also parked at ParkOne last week (Wednesday to Thursday) and this was after undergoing the long delay to get an Uber ride on the night of the 29th. You could see that the days of ParkOne were numbered with all of the different plans for LAX expansion overlapping into the lot. Personally, I always enjoyed parking there since much of my travel is on Southwest. I usually used the valet service and the attendants would greet me by name (used their services a lot). I also had a lot of free parking days left in my account and had hoped to use them over this upcoming year. Guess not. I will miss the convenience of PNF.
I too will miss the convenience of this lot. As a United flyer, I'd given up with the shuttles anyway and simply walked between ParkOne and Terminal 7 given the problems of simply going to/from the lot and around to T7. Now it is gone.

Finally received an e-mail from PNF - we can use our award days out in featured locations such as Ontario, San Diego, San Francisco and Oakland.

Not sure why I'd drive my car to a Bay Area location and then park it at an airport, but I guess.

David
Old Nov 7, 19, 3:08 pm

Got my car back - it was right where I left it, fortunately. The woman said that cars still in the lot on Sunday may get moved.

Yeah - sitting on way too many free days. I almost used them for this reservation. Sure wish I had.

So what's the next-closest or otherwise most convenient parking lot? Sounds like it'll have to be a shuttle, so who has the most frequent and reliable shuttle service?

I'm worried that this closure will force me to Uber/Lyft just for the convenience.
Old Nov 7, 19, 4:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, DL Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
In the LAWA board meetings, the scenario regarding leased space for the Park One lot and future expansion allowed LAWA to structure their most recent terms so that LAWA could take any/all parts of ParkOne with very short notice (30 days IIRC). This was in case T0 construction ramped up quickly as well as to provide flexibility for LAX-it.

LAWA in last month's board meeting also gifted ParkOne a few million dollars to stay in business due to adverse LAX-it conditions for their lot and customers.

When I'm back at my desk I hope to dig up those files for further details.
Old Nov 7, 19, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
Got my car back - it was right where I left it, fortunately. The woman said that cars still in the lot on Sunday may get moved.

Yeah - sitting on way too many free days. I almost used them for this reservation. Sure wish I had.

So what's the next-closest or otherwise most convenient parking lot? Sounds like it'll have to be a shuttle, so who has the most frequent and reliable shuttle service?

I'm worried that this closure will force me to Uber/Lyft just for the convenience.
Except when using Park One for Southwest, I use The Parking Spot. For years I was a Wally Park fan, but too many times they didn't deliver on the service they promised. With Parking Spot, I don't have to pull a ticket or stand in line (or even at a machine) to pay. I can handle it all from my phone. The shuttles are plentiful and you can track them on the app.
Old Nov 7, 19, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
Except when using Park One for Southwest, I use The Parking Spot. For years I was a Wally Park fan, but too many times they didn't deliver on the service they promised. With Parking Spot, I don't have to pull a ticket or stand in line (or even at a machine) to pay. I can handle it all from my phone. The shuttles are plentiful and you can track them on the app.
OK - I'll try them out. I feel like last time I used them, I spent forever hunting for a spot in their lot and then waiting for the elevator. But the options are more limited now.
Old Nov 13, 19, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, DL Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by ianmanka View Post
In the LAWA board meetings, the scenario regarding leased space for the Park One lot and future expansion allowed LAWA to structure their most recent terms so that LAWA could take any/all parts of ParkOne with very short notice (30 days IIRC). This was in case T0 construction ramped up quickly as well as to provide flexibility for LAX-it.

LAWA in last month's board meeting also gifted ParkOne a few million dollars to stay in business due to adverse LAX-it conditions for their lot and customers.

When I'm back at my desk I hope to dig up those files for further details.
So I looked it up (see attached LAWA board report), and at their August 1st meeting, LAWA reduced PNF from 14 acres by 5.96 acres to build LAX-it. This represents about 795 spaces. They also may have needed an additional 1.8 acres (229 spaces) for utility relocation.

Shortly after LAWA gave notice to PNF of the First Reduction, PNF expressed concerns that this First Reduction could adversely affect its operations, and also noted the potential impacts caused by LAWA needing to access a portion of PNF's current premises to make utility connections.
So they reduced PNF's rent as a percentage of operating revenue by 5% in CY2019 and by 2.5% in CY2020. This equated to $553,356 and $284,713 (respectively) in rent reductions. LAWA also agreed to consider reimbursements for costs incurred by PNF up to $200,000 after review of invoices and compensate PNF for loss of parking spaces at a rate of $25/space/day. This is a net total of about a million dollars granted to PNF. Not sure what else they plan on doing, as their lease indicated a "guaranteed minimum revenue" (to LAWA) of $55.3 million through the lease expiration through 2029.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
LAWA - PNF.pdf (388.8 KB, 5 views)

Search this Thread