Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "LAX Flyaway Bus" Thread (2014 - Date)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 19, 19, 7:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: chrisl137
Wiki Link
This thread contains posts from 2014 to date. Older messages on this topic may still contain relevant information and have been moved to the archived thread:
Special Winter Holiday Schedule 2019 (Dec 19-Jan 6): To LAX, From LAX

LAX FlyAway® buses provide scheduled ground transportation between LAX airport and the following locations:

• Van Nuys (bus tracker)
  • Orange Line Express Bus Stop (on the south side of Victory Blvd., just east of Woodley Ave.) discontinued 1/31/19.
  • Union Station (Downtown Los Angeles) (bus tracker)
  • Westwood at UCLA
  • Hollywood (northeast corner of Selma Ave. and Argyle Ave. - one block south of Hollywood Blvd.) (bus tracker)
  • Long Beach (at Shelter A in the Long Beach Transit Gallery, on the northwest corner of 1st Street and Long Beach Blvd.) (bus tracker)

See LAWA website for fare info and purchase tickets: FlyAway® Fares

A few important notes for visitors:

1. Unlike many similar services in other international airports, there are no FlyAway ticket vending machines or ticket counters at LAX. For Hollywood and Westwood, you can purchase tickets on the bus with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express credit or debit card. For Union Station and Van Nuys, purchase tickets at the kiosk located when the bus discharges you, also with a valid credit card (cash is not accepted). Union Station customers may additionally purchase FlyAway tickets via Metrolink ticket machines, which are located on the floor below the FlyAway stop. These ticket machines accept US currency (except pennies) in addition to credit and debit cards. Select a "LAX to LA Union Station" trip, and ask one of the attendants for help if you can't figure out the machine.

2. Tickets are good for 30 days so you can purchase them well in advance of your trip to and from LAX. The bus driver will scan your ticket or mobile device as you board.

3. If you have no ticket (and going to Union Station), the driver will tag your luggage to "hold". When you arrive at Union Station, you will be directed to purchase a ticket at the vending machine. Once you show the proof of fare, you will be allowed to claim your luggage. You can also buy a ticket online on your mobile device on the bus and have it ready on your device for the driver to scan when picking up your luggage.

4. Catch the bus at the Arrival Level (lower level) curb adjacent to the terminal. Look for GREEN sign that states FLYAWAY, BUSES, LONG DISTANCE VANS.

5. You can track locations of buses at this link. Van Nuys and Union Station routes share one tracker link. Hollywood and Long Beach share a different tracker link.

Some tips:

1. The FlyAway departure schedule from LAX is the times the buses are scheduled to leave Terminal 1 Arrival Level. It typically takes at least 30 minutes for the bus to complete the pickup from Terminal 1 all the way to Terminal 7. If you are at the north side terminals (T1, T2, T3) and just missed a FlyAway bus, you can beat it to the other side of the airport by walking across LAX using ground level crosswalk and sidewalk, and catching the same bus at the south side terminals (T4, T5, T6). Walk across the airport will take about 10~15 minutes depending on your exact locations.

2. If you are connecting to Amtrak, Metro, Metrolink, and Megabus services at Union Station - Consult this map for locations of various service: Union Station Map

And some useful info here: Union Station

3. Make sure you get on the right bus. The destination sign is displayed in front of the bus.

The Union Station and Van Nuys service utilize fullsize Van Hool buses. These buses are white with light blue FlyAway logo - see here

The Hollywood/Expo Line and Westwood service utilize midsize Ford cutaway buses. These buses are white with dark blue FlyAway logo - see here
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 19, 14, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium

Starting as early at this summer, it'll cost you just $8 (each way) to get from Santa Monica or Hollywood to LAX.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-trb...618-story.html
Old Jun 20, 14, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
SM already has the 3 bus that serves LAX just fine, not to mention that it's already easy and cheap get to LAX from SM. This sounds like OMG we need to add a stop so let's just pick Santa Monica!
Old Jun 23, 14, 12:24 pm

The FlyAway may be a better option when you have to carry lots of luggage. But where would you park?
Old Jun 23, 14, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SWCPHX View Post
SM already has the 3 bus that serves LAX just fine, not to mention that it's already easy and cheap get to LAX from SM. This sounds like OMG we need to add a stop so let's just pick Santa Monica!
It's not the first time this happened... Westwood FlyAway is also duplicated by local bus service (Culver City Rapid 6).

This is why you shouldn't do transit planning by NIMBY and court order

FlyAway is not a transit service as much it is a court mandated settlement between Westchester NIMBYs and LAWA.

LAX is required to implement 9 FlyAway routes by 2015 or risk violating the terms of its settlement with the NIMBY groups. Notice the court decree says nothing about how many passengers LAWA has to transport to LAX via FlyAway. Just number of routes... kind of ridiculous in itself.

It's kind of a minor miracle that the Union Station FlyAway became a real service despite it's illogical beginning. Van Nuys FlyAway predates the lawsuit settlement but will count towards the 9 routes.

1. Van Nuys
2. Union Station
3. Westwood
4. Irvine (discontinued due to it being useless)
5. Expo Line La Brea Station (will be extended to Hollywood)
6. Santa Monica
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. #10 to replace the discontinued Irvine service.

So LAWA will have to add 4 more FlyAway service by end of next year.

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin View Post
The FlyAway may be a better option when you have to carry lots of luggage. But where would you park?
Is this a serious question? Where does one park in Santa Monica... with a whole downtown full of parking garages?

The serious answer is park at Civic Center and its severely under used parking lot and 8 level (The tallest building around!) parking garage. That's where FlyAway Santa Monica will depart. I'm sure the City of Santa Monica will work out some sort of parking deal with FlyAway service.

Last edited by bzcat; Jun 23, 14 at 2:31 pm
Old Jun 25, 14, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
Is this a serious question? Where does one park in Santa Monica... with a whole downtown full of parking garages?

The serious answer is park at Civic Center and its severely under used parking lot and 8 level (The tallest building around!) parking garage. That's where FlyAway Santa Monica will depart. I'm sure the City of Santa Monica will work out some sort of parking deal with FlyAway service.
Yes. It's a serious question. Parking can be expensive if one had to pay the regular rates in the parking garage for many days.
Old Jun 25, 14, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
How timely this thread popped to the top when I've just contemplated taking this for the first time. I'd appreciate a bit of advice:

I will be flying over Christmas to Japan. However, on an award ticket, I'm SAN-NRT and then NRT-LAX. My options are either to do a one-way rental down to San Diego or take the Amtrak. Either way, I'm planning on spending the night before.

However, I'm more curious about the return.

My options would be:

1. Rent 1-way from LAX (leaving my car in long-term parking)
2. Park at Union Station and take Amtrak. On the return, take Flyaway to Union Station
3. Park at Union Station and take Amtrak. On the return, take car service to Union Station.

Option 1 is probably quickest but is the priciest
Option 2 & 3 are about the same except for the difference between a shuttle cost and the Flyaway cost. Union station parking at $6/day (is that still correct?) is a bargain and it has good freeway access for me to get to work.

I'd really appreciate insight on how expeditious Flyaway is from LAX. If it doesn't make sense, I'll just go with the car service. I kind of prefer taking the train down versus driving to LAX and renting a car.
Old Jun 25, 14, 6:04 pm

How long are you going to be in Japan? Metro HQ garage (east of Union Station) is $6 a day. But it could add up if you are in Japan for a long time. So it might be worth your while to take public transport from Long Beach to Union Station and then take Amtrak to SAN instead of driving to Union Station.

On your return, from LAX to Long Beach, you can take the Green line to Blue line. I like this idea better because the "G" shuttle to Green line station runs every 10 minutes so you don't have to wait very long.

But if you want to leave your car at Union Station, FlyAway is pretty straight forward when you come back. The bus will take I-105 and I-110 HOT lane all the way to Downtown LA so it goes pretty fast. The only catch is that the bus only leaves every 30 minutes so depending on your arrival time, it may involve a bit of waiting at LAX curb side.

Last edited by bzcat; Jun 25, 14 at 6:12 pm
Old Jun 26, 14, 12:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
How long are you going to be in Japan? Metro HQ garage (east of Union Station) is $6 a day. But it could add up if you are in Japan for a long time. So it might be worth your while to take public transport from Long Beach to Union Station and then take Amtrak to SAN instead of driving to Union Station.

On your return, from LAX to Long Beach, you can take the Green line to Blue line. I like this idea better because the "G" shuttle to Green line station runs every 10 minutes so you don't have to wait very long.

But if you want to leave your car at Union Station, FlyAway is pretty straight forward when you come back. The bus will take I-105 and I-110 HOT lane all the way to Downtown LA so it goes pretty fast. The only catch is that the bus only leaves every 30 minutes so depending on your arrival time, it may involve a bit of waiting at LAX curb side.
I'll only be gone 5-6 nights. However, I'm probably going to head to San Diego directly from work, which is out in the IE. While there is a Metrolink Station literally at my office, it doesn't run in the correct direction.

I think there's one afternoon train running back into Union Station, but the first one heading east isn't until 115pm.

$6/day for MTA parking is pretty cheap versus LAX options which are pricier and sketchier (like Airport 405 parking).

I'd be willing to put up with some logistics on the way to SD but on the return, I want to land and get to work ASAP (trying not to take a PTO day). It seems my most economical option may be to give up the train idea and just rent a car in LB in the am, go to work, and drive to SD and drop it off. Then rent a car at LAX on the return. I live in Downtown LB so I have Hertz, Avis and Budget across the street.

I priced them out and it seems cheaper to drop off in SD versus to Union Station (which are only Hertz and Budget). Flyaway on return at 30 min intervals doesn't sound too bad but I've read some here and on Yelp about full buses?
Old Jun 26, 14, 12:53 pm

FlyAway can get full during peak hours but you can always beat the crown by walking to T1 or T2 and board the bus there rather than waiting at terminals further down.
Old Jun 26, 14, 3:00 pm

Thanks - I think I'm going to give it a shot and take the Flyaway. I like the idea of starting my trip with a train ride down to San Diego.
Old Jun 27, 14, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
How timely this thread popped to the top when I've just contemplated taking this for the first time. I'd appreciate a bit of advice:
Can you get to ONT somehow? If you can, then how about a one-way rental from ONT-SAN, then on the way back either FlyAway+Metrolink or one-way rental back home?
Old Jun 28, 14, 9:41 pm
Yub

If you are driving down to San Diego on a Friday after work, and you can get someone to drop you off at LGB on Friday morning, you may be able to get a one-way rental on a reasonable weekend rate. As an example, for pickup on Friday 19 December 2014 at 9:00 AM at LGB, and return by Saturday 20 December at 9:00 AM at SAN, Avis is under $30 using AWD 108392 (Costco) with the Pay Now option.

With a rental car, you won't be limited to the Amtrak schedule, and you could drive down in the early morning hours before your flight and avoid the overnight in San Diego. If you do drive down in the late night or early morning hours, be sure to check CalTrans for scheduled road construction at http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/plannedwork.htm and plan accordingly.

The return part is harder to find a reasonable one-way rental from LAX to LGB (or your neighborhood location) since it sounds like you are coming back on a weekday.
Old Jun 29, 14, 7:47 pm

Thanks everyone for the ideas/suggestions/help. I guess with so many permutations, we should consider ourselves lucky, if not overwhelmed a bit with choices.

I decided that I will drive to Union Station after work, park the car there, and take the Amtrak to San Diego.

On the way home, I will take the Flyaway to Union Station, pick up my car and drive to the office.

I think the part about taking the train was most appealing - I want to feel like the vacation is starting the minute I leave Union Station and it happens to be my birthday so I'll opt for the Business Class seat on the Surfliner

On the way back, I had thought about renting a car for drop off in Long Beach but I figured that rental shuttle/process might take as long as just hopping on the Flyaway bus.

I'll report back in December with how it actually worked out!
Old Oct 29, 14, 9:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Arriving on UA flight at 5:50 p.m. Friday (unless I change flight to Saturday).

How long to get to Union Station? 7:30 p.m. Surfliner out of the question?
Old Oct 30, 14, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
Arriving on UA flight at 5:50 p.m. Friday (unless I change flight to Saturday).

How long to get to Union Station? 7:30 p.m. Surfliner out of the question?
I doubt you will make the 6 PM Flyaway (they run every 30 minutes) so you are looking at 6:30 PM departure from T1... or roughly 7 PM departure from T7. It will take about 45 minutes to reach Union Station depending on traffic. The ride from LAX to Downtown is pretty fast because it uses the toll lane on the freeway but once the bus reach Downtown, it goes in mixed traffic and if there are events in Downtown, it could take 20 minutes just to go the last 3 or 4 miles to Union Station.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: